Revised OR Kershaw Blackout-Kevin O'Connell

  • kevin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008
      Hello,
      Here is a revised version of my Kershaw Blackout review. http://tinyurl.com/4otfok
      Thank you for your time,
      Kevin O'Connell

      KERSHAW BLACKOUT
      BY KEVIN O'CONNELL
      OR
      June 08, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kevin O'Connell
      EMAIL: kocon49@...
      AGE: 18
      LOCATION: Portland, Oregon, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking about 6 or 7 years ago, mostly taking weekend trips and occasionally going out for a whole week. I am a minimalist, and will pretty much do anything to shave off some weight, but I am all about experiencing the wildlife rather than point B. Mostly I hike around my local area, so a forest setting, rainy and pretty hilly, although I do occasionally do a snow trip. I am trained in wilderness survival and first aid.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kai USA
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kershawknives.com" LINK TEXT = "www.kershawknives.com">>
      Listed Weight: 3.5 oz (.1 g)
      Weight as delivered: 3.5 oz (.1 g)
      Steel: 13C26 stainless-steel (1550)
      Complete Length: 7.72 inches (19.61 cm)
      Closed Length: 4.5 inches (11.43 cm)
      Blade Length: 3.22 inches (8.18 cm)
      Blade Coating: Tungsten DLC
      Handle Material: Injection Molded Polyimide
      Pocket Clip: Yes
      Serrated Option: Yes
      Warranty: Lifetime
      MSRP: US $89.95
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesty of dantesknives.com">>

      Description

      Kershaw's Blackout knife is a folding blade primarily marketed as an everyday utility knife. It features a 13C26 stainless-steel blade, a Tungsten DLC coating, and Kershaw's patented SpeedSafe opening system. Tungsten DLC (Diamond like Coating) was first developed by a weapons company looking for a non reflective coating that increases steel hardness (90 on the Rockwell C scale). The SpeedSafe function is an assisted opening method in which the user applies pressure to the thumb stud. A spring then flips the blade out into the "ready" position, all with one hand. The handle is Injection Molded Polyimide- an extremely stress-resistant uncured plastic resin.

      First Impressions

      The Kershaw Blackout comes in surprisingly refreshing cardboard box. I was happy to see that more time was invested in the knife than in the packaging. It also included a foldout sheet with instructions on using the SpeedSafe function and the warranty.

      The handle is slightly coarse, as the pattern on the handle is triangular. There were no problems with it fitting into my hand. It is a locking liner knife, a locking system developed by Michael Walker. When the blade is opened, it is held in place by a part of the handle. It puts pressure on the butt blade to hold it in place. To unlock it, you push it from right to left, back to the wall of the knife.
      After playing around with it for a while, the only thing I can say is wow. Simply opening it is a joy, and hearing the sharp metallic click as the blade flips into place is just an added bonus. To open the knife, all I need to do is press lightly on thumb stud. The blade just jumps right out into position and locks firmly into place.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Kershaw Blackout is very well balanced...">>

      Use

      I carried this knife every day last summer while I taught wilderness survival, rock-climbing, and whitewater rafting, but here a few specific trips I have taken with it.

      Glacier National Park, Montana (Backpacking)
      Florida Keys, Florida (Kayak Island hopping)
      Silver Falls, Oregon (Backpacking)
      Twin Lakes, Oregon (Backpacking)
      Smith Rock, Oregon (Rock climbing)
      Mt. Hood, Oregon (Snowshoe Backpacking)
      Lenore Wilderness, Idaho (Canoeing, Backpacking)

      One of the first things I noticed is that after long periods of use, this blade will fray the skin on my hand, specifically the thumb. After some time, the speed and force of the SpeedSafe function deteriorates. I did not even notice until I borrowed a friend's, and nearly dropped it when I opened it. One of the major concerns I have heard from most people is, "Won't it open if I drop it?" So I dropped the Blackout 10 times on four different surfaces, cement, hardwood, carpet, and dirt. Cement was 3/10, hardwood 4/10, carpet was 2/10, and dirt was 0/10. Also, I have managed to scratch up the black coating by lighting a few matches on it. However, I have to say I am surprised with just how well the coating has held up. I am a big fan of black knives, and have never seen a coating with this durability. The one major issue I have had with the knife is the strength of the tip. The first time I bent it I was prying the husk off of a coconut (granted, it might be extreme). Although it was bent so far it would not close, I bent it back into shape and planned to bring it to Kershaw later. After exchanging it (see below), the tip on the new knife again bent from everyday use.

      Testing the Warrenty

      After making it past the security guard, I pulled into the fenced in compound. There were about three people ahead of me, but they were taken care of within 10 minutes. The lady behind the counter was very nice, and informative. The first thing she did was look at the straightness of the blade, and then tested the edge. I take pride in how well I care for my gear, but she just said that the knife was not up to Kershaw's standards, and gave me a new one, with no questions asked. I have never experienced customer service this good, especially for a knife company.

      Sharpening

      After a few frustrating attempts with my stone kits, I stropped it. It is just as sharp as when I first got it, and I am comfortable knowing that edge will be there for the next 6 months with heavy use.

      Pros

      Sharp
      Easy to close and open with one hand
      Molded handle
      Good customer service
      Ascetically Pleasing
      Light
      Scratch resistant coating

      Cons

      SpeedSafe function deteriorates with time
      Opens unintentionally
      Weak Tip
      Abrasive handle

      Summary

      The Kershaw Blackout is a good knife solid knife. I have split logs, cooked food, and mass produced 20 bow-drill sets with this knife. Although there may be better fixed blade knives out there, I have never seen a folding knife with this level of craftsmanship or sophistication. I require a very high level of performance from my blades, and the Blackout delivers. It is has earned a place in my pack, and become a regular in my pocket.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • kevin

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2008

          reviews before submission.

          Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
          backpackgeartest.org).

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.