OWNER REVIEW - Osprey Talon 22

  • Cash Keith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2008
      OSPREY TALON 22
      BY CASH KEITH
      OR
      June 09, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Cash Keith
      EMAIL: wckeith@...
      AGE: 36
      LOCATION: Uvalde, Texas
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      Name: Cash Keith
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0" (1.83 Meters)
      Weight: 200 Pounds
      Email address: wckeith@...
      City, State, Country: Uvalde, Texas, USA
      Date: June 9, 2008
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago. I mainly
      dayhike in state parks nearby, but venture out to national parks in my
      state as I am able. I am a medium weight backpacker carrying weights
      around 30-40 lbs(13.61-18.14 kg). Living in the Texas Hill Country, I
      generally hike in warmer climates with lows typically 20F(-6.66 C) and
      highs around 105F(40.56 C).

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Osprey
      "http://www.ospreypacks.com/">>
      MSRP: US$128.95
      Listed Weight: 1lb 9 oz (0.71 kg)
      Size: s/m 1200 cu. in. (20 L)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Talon 22">>

      FIELD USE

      When I decided to rekindle my love of the outdoors and hiking a few
      years ago, I soon discovered I needed to update some of my old gear.
      The first item on my list was a good daypack. The Osprey Talon 33
      received that year a gear award in Backpacker Magazine so I headed to
      my closest outfitter store to take a look at what Osprey had to offer.
      The Talon 33 I decided was too large for my day trekking needs, and I
      decided on his slightly smaller brother; the Talon 22 (also picked up
      the Talon 11 for my 8 yr old daughter that accompanies me from time to
      time).

      I have used this pack now exclusively for my day hiking trips around
      the Texas Hill Country (and a few jaunts up in the Pacific NW late
      last year). With its 1200 cu. in. (20 L) capacity, it nicely handles
      all the necessities for my day trip and still has some room for a few
      extras if desired. Although I have never taken it on an overnighter,
      I could see a lightweight hiker doing so with this pack.

      The pack has several nice features, but the best ones I noticed were
      in the construction of the pack once I put it on. The shoulder straps
      are constructed of a 'stretchy foam' material that just feels
      fantastic no matter the load. The back panel is a tough screen
      material that provides excellent ventilation. This feature is
      particularly nice when hiking in warmer climates. The hydration
      compartment is accessible from the outside of the pack, so in isn't
      necessary to remove any gear to get to your water bladder. This pouch
      is directly behind the screened back panel and also offers some nice
      cooling when chilled water is filled in the bladder.

      SUMMARY

      The fabrics Osprey chose for this pack are fantastic. I have been
      using it now going into my second summer and probably logged 20+ day
      hikes with it still not showing any real evidence of wear. I have
      been very pleased with this pack and will definitely be looking at
      Osprey when I am shopping for a replacement multi-day pack.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
          > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Osprey Talon 22

          Hi Cash,
          this is the official Edit of your Owner Review of the Osprey Talon 22
          pack. It takes the format laid out in the bylaws
          (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0):
          An "EDIT" indicates something that needs to be changed (a typo or a
          matter of BGT policy), an "Edit" is something that I suggest thinking
          over though the call remains yours, and a "Comment" is just that.

          First off, though - welcome to BackpackGearTest.org! I'm glad to see
          you've made it, and took the first step from lurking to posting your
          first draft of an Owner Review. Good for you! And for us.

          The first couple of iterations (post, Edit, Repost, Edit, Repost,
          etc.) before uploading the first Owner Review can be a bit tedious -
          there's a bunch of things we want to see in reports (and a few we
          don't want to see there), not all of which are intuitive. It gets
          easier for the 2nd OR and much easier from then on.

          Because we've noted that some folks have a hard time dealing with
          that first bit, we've set up a Mentor program which pairs new folks
          with experienced testers - they can explain a few things, maybe give
          the first OR a once- (or twice-) over, etc. This cuts down on the
          time wasted with posts and edits hanging about on the list until
          they're picked up, and means that some of the initial "huh?"-moments
          don't have to happen on the list (in public, so to speak). If you're
          interested, just write an email to mentor@... -

          but, for now, my first take on your OR is found below:

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Cash Keith" <wckeith@...>
          wrote:

          > OSPREY TALON 22
          > BY CASH KEITH
          > OR
          > June 09, 2008
          >
          > TESTER INFORMATION
          >
          > NAME: Cash Keith
          > EMAIL: wckeith@...
          > AGE: 36
          > LOCATION: Uvalde, Texas
          > GENDER: M
          > HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
          > WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)
          >
          > Name: Cash Keith
          > Age: 36
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 6'0" (1.83 Meters)
          > Weight: 200 Pounds
          > Email address: wckeith@...
          > City, State, Country: Uvalde, Texas, USA
          > Date: June 9, 2008

          EDIT: As you see, the Report Writer includes your bio automatically
          (and puts in all the metric conversions, too) - so no need to put it
          in manually as well.

          > Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago. I mainly
          > dayhike in state parks nearby, but venture out to national parks in
          my
          > state as I am able. I am a medium weight backpacker carrying
          weights
          > around 30-40 lbs(13.61-18.14 kg).

          EDIT: please use "lb" as the abbreviation for "pound" AND "pounds" -
          you can find our customary unit abbreviations at the bottom of our
          conversion page here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html
          EDIT: please insert a space between "lb" and the parenthesis.

          > Living in the Texas Hill Country, I
          > generally hike in warmer climates with lows typically 20F(-6.66 C)
          and
          > highs around 105F(40.56 C).

          EDIT: same issues with spaces before parentheses.

          > PRODUCT INFORMATION
          >
          > Manufacturer: Osprey
          > Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
          > "http://www.ospreypacks.com/">>
          > MSRP: US$128.95
          > Listed Weight: 1lb 9 oz (0.71 kg)
          > Size: s/m 1200 cu. in. (20 L)
          > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Talon 22">>

          EDIT: When you repost this, please also upload an HTML version of
          your report to the test folder at the backpackgeartest.org website
          (doing so requires having logged in). Then, please include a
          shortlink (tinyurl or snipurl) to your HTML version with the text
          version you post to this list. This makes the work of us Editors
          *much* easier. Thanks.

          > FIELD USE
          >
          > When I decided to rekindle my love of the outdoors and hiking a few
          > years ago, I soon discovered I needed to update some of my old
          gear.
          > The first item on my list was a good daypack. The Osprey Talon 33
          > received that year a gear award in Backpacker Magazine so I headed
          > my closest outfitter store to take a look at what Osprey had to
          offer.
          > The Talon 33 I decided was too large for my day trekking needs,
          and I
          > decided on his slightly smaller brother; the Talon 22 (also picked
          up
          > the Talon 11 for my 8 yr old daughter that accompanies me from time
          > time).

          Comment: That's nice to hear. I have a six-year-old who comes along
          sometimes and will get her first pack for her 7th birthday. I also
          carry my younger one (2.5 yrs) in a child carrier a lot these days,
          so it's time for the older one to carry her own stuff!

          > I have used this pack now exclusively for my day hiking trips around
          > the Texas Hill Country (and a few jaunts up in the Pacific NW late
          > last year). With its 1200 cu. in. (20 L) capacity, it nicely
          handles
          > all the necessities for my day trip and still has some room for a
          few
          > extras if desired. Although I have never taken it on an
          overnighter,
          > I could see a lightweight hiker doing so with this pack.

          EDIT: Okay, here's why it's often suggested (by me and others) to
          write a first OR on something simple, like a pair of gloves or
          something like that. Backpacks are important, there's a lot one can
          say about them and indeed a lot one needs to say about them in order
          to give a decent account of it. This would include a brief list of
          things you tend to carry in it (no brand names, please), and what the
          weights are you've carried in it.

          > The pack has several nice features,

          EDIT: Yes. Uhm. See above, really - what are the nice features
          exactly? What did you find nice about them? Have you used them at all?

          but the best ones I noticed were
          > in the construction of the pack once I put it on. The shoulder
          straps
          > are constructed of a 'stretchy foam' material that just feels
          > fantastic no matter the load. The back panel is a tough screen
          > material that provides excellent ventilation. This feature is
          > particularly nice when hiking in warmer climates. The hydration
          > compartment is accessible from the outside of the pack, so in isn't
          > necessary to remove any gear to get to your water bladder.

          EDIT: Here's a BGT policy issue - it's called "projecting". You don't
          know if the accessibility actally allows "me" to access it without
          removing gear (though I admit it seems likely). What you do know is
          that it's allowed *you* to get to it. Please, in anything you write
          for backpackgeartest.org, refrain from use of the word "you". It's
          exclusively your own experience we're interested in.

          This pouch
          > is directly behind the screened back panel and also offers some nice
          > cooling when chilled water is filled in the bladder.
          >
          > SUMMARY
          >
          > The fabrics Osprey chose for this pack are fantastic. I have been
          > using it now going into my second summer and probably logged 20+ day
          > hikes with it still not showing any real evidence of wear. I have
          > been very pleased with this pack and will definitely be looking at
          > Osprey when I am shopping for a replacement multi-day pack.

          EDIT: That's another thing - we like to have a somewhat more detailed
          description of your experience with an item - so distances covered,
          temps and precipitation (if any), use on or off-trail - that sort of
          thing should go into a report (in as much as it's still remembered),
          and preferably towards the front of it).

          > Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

          Comment: Good thing you found that. I find the Report Writer helps
          immensely.

          -----------

          All right - once again welcome to BackpackGearTest.org. I'm happy to
          see you here. Your first Owner Review still needs a lot more meat to
          it - but that's not unusual at all, so please don't feel too
          discouraged. Do consider writing a first Owner Review on something
          simpler, though - if you look at our more recent backpack test
          series, you'll find it doesn't get much more complex than that
          (shelters and electronic gimmicks are difficult, too).

          Should you decide not to pursue *this* report, a note to the list to
          that effect would be helpful - we'd be looking forward to whatever
          else you decide to write your first OR on. Should you want to go
          forward with this, please post your 2nd draft to this list
          with "REPOST" substituted for my "EDIT" in the subject line.

          In any event, I am looking forward to reading more from you.
          :-)

          Regards,

          André
          OR Editor
        • Cash Keith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
            André,

            Thank you so much for your constructive criticism of my initial stab
            at writing a gear review. I am accustomed to witting technical style
            papers in my work (IT Director), but doing a review certainly brings
            new challenges for audiences to find it interesting and helpful. I
            hope that I have applied the changes you recommended and you find this
            revision more acceptable. I might need to sign up with a mentor, as I
            find it somewhat difficult to delve into actual outings with the gear
            without it turning into a "listen to my hiking trip" instead of about
            the gear.

            I wasn't exactly sure if you wanted both the text and html versions of
            the draft, so I have provided both.

            Cheers,
            Cash

            HTML tinyurl : http://tinyurl.com/4637r5

            TEXT :

            OSPREY TALON 22
            BY CASH KEITH
            OR
            June 09, 2008

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Cash Keith
            EMAIL: wckeith@...
            AGE: 36
            LOCATION: Uvalde, Texas
            GENDER: M
            HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
            WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

            Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago. I mainly
            dayhike in state parks nearby, but venture out to national parks in my
            state as I am able. I am a medium weight backpacker carrying weights
            around 30-40 lb (13.61-18.14 kg). Living in the Texas Hill Country, I
[...]

            extras if desired. This normally consists of rain gear, hammock,
            first-aid kit, headlamp, multi-tool, 10-essentials emergency kit, food
            and water for the day. Ocassionaly a book might slip in there too.
            So my total payload breaks down to approx:

            1.5 lb (0.68 kg) Pack + 3.5 lb (1.59 kg) Water + 5.0 lb (2.27 kg)
            Clothing, Food, etc. = 10 lb (4.54 kg) Total

            Although I have never taken it on an overnighter, I could see a
            lightweight hiker doing so with this pack.

            The pack has several nice features and easily swallows my typical
            payload of gear. I generally load the pack in the following manner:

            Top small zipper compartment : Keys, First-Aid Kit, Headlamp, and
            Multi-Tool
            Main large compartment : Raingear, Extra Clothes (depending on
            season), Socks, Hammock, Food, Book or Journal
            Stretch woven outer pocket : Head Gear, Gloves, and trash on the way out
            Side woven pockets : Extra Water Bottle or Sports Drink
            Hydration Pocket : Water Bladder
            Hidden pocket in Hydration Pocket : 10-Essentials Kit in waterproof
            zipper bag

            As I indicated, this pack easily takes this above listed invetory with
            room to spare and I find the layout very easy to find what I need, but
            one of the best features I noticed once I put it on. The shoulder
            straps are constructed of a 'stretchy foam' material that just feels
            fantastic no matter the load. The back panel is a tough screen
            material that provides excellent ventilation. This feature is
            particularly nice when hiking in warmer climates. The hydration
            compartment is accessible from the outside of the pack, so in isn't
            necessary for me to remove any gear to get to my water bladder for
            refilling. This pouch is directly behind the screened back panel and
            also offers some nice cooling when chilled water is filled in the bladder.

            SUMMARY

            The fabrics Osprey chose for this pack are fantastic. I have been
            using it now going into my second summer and probably logged 20+ day
            hikes around the Texas Hill Country and West Texas with it still not
            showing any real evidence of wear. So far the pack has been exposed
            mainly to hotter temeratures of 90F+ (32.22 C) with on and off trail
            use. I have not exposed the pack directly to any hard rains as my
            rain gear comfortably covers both the pack and myself. However the
            main fabirc of the body is made of nylon that feels like it could shed
            the rain quite nicely on it's own. Although my home is in Southwest
            Texas, I did take the pack with me on a trip up into the Pacific
            Northwest (around the Portland, OR area) and used it on a couple 8
            mile (12.87 km) day hikes in late December. Being a Texas boy, I did
            stuff it pretty much to the top those days with extra warmth layers
            and it continued to perform as I had expected.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2008
              Wow, that's loads better already. Is my understanding correct that
              this was written prior to having been assigned a mentor? I was told
              offlist that you're now being mentored.
              I shall ASSume that you will therefore get back to this list with yet
              another version and leave this version alone for now, unless you
              indicate that this is the version you'd like me to edit.

              Let me just say that it's a big step in the right direction already.
              Keep going and you'll get there soon.
              :-)

              And it's always nice to know there's more folks out there taking
              their kids into nature.

              Regards,

              André
              OR Editor