OR - Nalgene Big Bore Tankers - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2008
      I forgot I had another hydration review in my Future folder that will
      answer the call too. So here it is. The HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/5s76qs

      Thanks guys,

      Ray

      Nalgene Big Bore Tankers
      By Raymond Estrella
      OWNER REVIEW
      June 07, 2008
      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)
      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.
      The Product
      Manufacturer: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
      Web site: www.nalgene-outdoor.com
      Product: CXC Big Bore Tanker
      Year manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: US $27.00 and $25.00
      Volume reviewed: 3 L (96 oz) and 2 L (64 oz)
      Listed weights: N/A
      Actual weights: 6.4 oz (181 g) for the 3 L and 5.6 oz (159 g) for the
      2 L
      Dimensions listed: N/A
      Actual Dimensions: 3 L, 17 x 7.5 in (43 x 19 cm); 2 L, N/A
      Tube length: 36.5 in (93 cm)

      Product Description
      The Nalgene Big Bore Tankers (hereafter called the Tankers or
      bladders) are hydration bladders made for hydration on the go.
      Nalgene says that they are "reliably tough and beautifully versatile
      for the die-hard adventurer". Hey, that sounds like me they are
      talking about…

      The bladders are made of what Nalgene says is "CXC film built to
      pharmaceutical specifications". It feels like soft pliant plastic or
      silicone to me. They are just shy of being completely clear, they
      have some slight translucency. They claim that the "unique formula
      means zero residual taste or smell". The bladders are protected by an
      antimicrobial treatment they call Aquaguard.

      This same Aquaguard is said to protect the thick, clear, polyethylene
      kink-resistant tubing used for the drinking tube. The tubing is quite
      strong and is hard to collapse by squeezing it. It bounces back
      immediately.

      The bladder is filled by way of a bright blue, star-shaped 63 mm
      BigBore Cap with same threads as the company's 32 oz (1L) Wide Mouth
      Bottles. The cap is tethered to the opening with a spiral of plastic
      which springs back when pulled out and released.

      The cap is surrounded by a hard plastic oval disk that is dished so
      that the top and bottom flare away from the bladder. The bottom,
      which sticks out farther form a grab spot to hold the Tanker while
      filling it. The top has an elliptical hole in it to allow a strap to
      be threaded though it for hanging.

      At the business end of the tube is an articulated Bite Me valve, seen
      below. It will swivel 180 degrees with 0 and 180 (left and right in
      relation to the tube) being open, allowing liquid to flow through it.
      When positioned at 90 degrees (or straight with the tube) it is
      locked from any liquid transfer. The valve is a very beefy one, the
      most so of any in my experience. It uses a centered disk stopper so
      that any way I bite it I will get the same amount of flow.

      A protrusion on the side of the Bite Me valve away from the swivel
      has a disk magnet set into it, as seen above. It pairs up to a
      magnetic clip (yes, they are both magnetic, the poles are reversed)
      that attaches to the strap on a backpack's shoulder pad. This is
      meant to keep the end of the tube from flying around loose. Here is
      how it looks attached to a strap.

      At the bag end of the tube is something that I have never seen on a
      bladder before. The tube and bladder hook together with a quick-
      connect coupler like is seen with air and hydro pressure systems. It
      instantly appealed to the Tim Allen in me… (Woo-woo-woo)

      The male end of the tube can be pressed into the female end at the
      bag where it squeezes past a spring loaded locking ring. Once the
      male end goes far enough to depress the internal spring loaded
      pressure trap, a groove allows the locking ring to snap into place.
      An O-ring at the end seals the two, keeping liquid from escaping.
      Here is a picture of them.

      The dark grey button is pressed in to release the locking ring
      allowing the tube to be removed. As it comes out the spring loaded
      trap rises back up in the female coupler sealing off the bladder
      again. The female coupler swivels 360 degrees allowing the tube to be
      positioned at any angle. This allows it to be used in any
      configuration or pack that I can think of.
      Field Locations
      In late spring and summer of 2007 I used the tankers for a total of
      262 miles (419 km) of trails, over nine extreme day-hikes. These
      hikes were either on sections of the Pacific Crest Trail from Anza to
      Silverwood Lake, or around the peaks of Mount San Jacinto and San
      Gorgonio. Temps were from freezing to over 100 F (38 C) on trails
      that ranged from sand to dirt, scree, shale, exposed rock and even
      mud. All had huge elevation gains, the highest point of which the
      Tanker was at being 11500 ft (3505 m).

      They were used twice in 2008 but because of problems detailed below
      retired from active duty.
      Observations
      I bought the Nalgene Big Bore Tankers expressly to use on the extreme
      day-hikes (or fastpacks) that my brother-in-law Dave and I started
      bumping up in spring of 2007. I had been breaking 20 miles (32 km) a
      day for years, but that year we seldom were below 25 miles (40 km)
      with most at 30+ miles (48+ km) and lots of elevation gain involved
      to make them harder.

      While I have used hydration bladders off and on for many years still
      liked bottles more. But the need to have a lot of water with me (we
      were doing hikes in very hot and dry areas) and be able to drink it
      on the fly so as to waste as little time as possible made me turn
      back to bladders. I was very unhappy with the leader in the field as
      their blue reservoirs retained odors and taste. When I saw the
      Tankers at an outdoor show during the winter and looked at the
      materials and construction, I bought two of them as soon as I got
      back home.

      I loved the material they are made from. It feels soft yet is pretty
      tough. I set it on rough granite boulders at creek sides many times
      while filtering water for the next stretch of hiking. I carried them
      almost exclusively in either an Osprey Talon 33 or Talon 22 pack.
      These packs do not have frames, just a foam back panel. The Tanker
      would slide into the space between the pack body and the back panel.
      Depending on how much gear I had in the pack it could put quite a bit
      of pressure on the Tanker.

      I also froze it many times. As many hikes were in high temps I would
      freeze 2/3 of my liquid before the hike. I would top it off the
      morning I left and have cold drinks for half the day.

      The first thing I did was to cut the tethers off the caps. While I
      suppose it is a good idea to keep it from getting lost or dropped in
      the dirt it is a major pain in the posterior for me. I do not
      understand why they did not do it the way they do for their good old
      Nalgene bottles, which I have about 10 of. They just flip out of the
      way, not springing back in the way of filling or filtering.

      One thing that I did like was the built in grab edge under the cap.
      This makes it much easier to fill than having to hold the threaded
      opening. I also realy like the hole above the cap. My packs have a
      little strap with a Fastex buckle that attaches through this hole to
      keep the bladder at the top of my hydration space, not slid down into
      the bottom of it. I think all bladders should emulate this.

      The magnetic holder seemed like an great idea to me. I have (or had)
      packs that do not have hydration tube routing loops on the shoulder
      pads. The thought of a magnetic keeper that would keep the bite valve
      from flying around was great. Just one problem though. The clear kink-
      resistant tubing is very thick. I guess that is how is resists
      kinking. It also resists conforming to the shape of my shoulder
      strap. It would pop off all the time as I walk. After the third time
      using it I tossed them on the shelf where they sat until I wrote this
      review.

      Another selling point for me was the cap being the same as Nalgene's
      standard wide-mouth bottle. My filter fit these bottles perfectly so
      this would make it easy to fill solo. And this proved to be the case
      everywhere I was able to find water on my journeys.

      Where I could not, I had to bring extra water. I could load my pack
      with the 3 L Tanker and carry the 2 L inside. Because of the quick
      connect hose I could easily unplug the one and plug the other one in
      without having to reroute my tube. I thought this was just the cat's
      meow.

      But the quick connect proved to be its downfall too. One day this
      spring (2008) as I was leaving our office where I met Dave for the
      hike, I saw a puddle under my pack. I pulled out the Tanker to find
      it leaking at the connection. I unplugged it and plugged it back in
      thinking it may have not seated well. Nope, still leaking. I took it
      to the sink to see if something had gotten in it. Nope still leaking.
      I looked at the O-ring but could not see anything worn on it. I tried
      swapping tubes with my other unit. No go.

      Now I was running late and not very happy. I grabbed another brand of
      hydration bladder and went to exchange the GU2O that was in the
      Tanker. Ahhh, I could not easily pour the liquid from the big opening
      of the Tanker into the little opening of the other bladder, and the
      bite valve does not pull out of the Tanker without a vise. I got
      tired of watching it leak and cut the end of the tube off with my
      knife and drained the contents to the other bladder.

      Because of this experience I stopped using the Big Bore Tankers. I am
      worried that it will happen in the middle of a hike leaving me up a
      creek without a paddle. Or at a creek without a functioning bladder…
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2008
        > I forgot I had another hydration review in my Future folder that will
        > answer the call too. So here it is. The HTML may be found here;

        Show off.

        AT LAST! I have found a problem with a review Ray has written! Let me
        take a moment to let this sink in...

        [Insert 8 second time lapse]

        Fantastic. Now the egregious typo!

        "While I have used hydration bladders off and on for many years still
        liked bottles more."

        I believe this is meant to read "... for many years I still liked
        bottles more." or something to that effect. HAH! You fool! <Grin>

        Okay that's enough sarcasm, don't mind me I'm running on only a few
        hours sleep.

        Greg M
      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2008
          Greg,

          Just as a note, you can't make any member comments or edits in this case,
          until it have been run through an official EDIT.

          Cheers

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

            > AT LAST! I have found a problem with a review Ray has written!
            > Fantastic. Now the egregious typo!

            Hi Greg,

            Thanks for the careful inspection of my review. I just went and added
            that missing "I". But let me give you a bit of schooling from the SG
            before an editor or mod has to do it.

            "Other List Members may also contribute COMMENTS after the appointed
            Editor has reviewed and edited your report."

            So before you get in trouble maybe you should go get some sleep… ;-)

            Ray
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2008
              Yeesh, easy boys just a sarcasm laden joke! I've read the SG too ya know!

              In any case, apologies to the eventual editor if they find my joke inappropriate... <Grin>

              Greg M
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Wow!! Rough crowd. Watch your back Greg, they might start throwing
                  virtual chairs at you next. hahaha!!

                  jamie

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin" <mark@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Greg,
                  >

                  > Just as a note, you can't make any member comments or edits in this
                  case,
                  > until it have been run through an official EDIT.
                  >

                  > Cheers

                • Mark McLauchlin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Duck! Here it comes..

                    Was just a note to make as the SC clearly states this issue, comment wasn't
                    to say that Greg's comments are not correct, just not needed at this point
                    in time.

                    Am I correct?

                    Cheers

                    _____

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                    wrote:

                    > Greg,
                    >

                    > Just as a note, you can't make any member comments or edits in this
                    case,
                    > until it have been run through an official EDIT.
                    >

                    > Cheers

                  • Greg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                      By the SG you are absolutely correct, my point was it was more of a
                      comical than serious remark, I thought that I outlined the sarcasm
                      heavily enough. I'll make sure to coat it on thicker next time.

                      I appreciate you reminding me of the rule, no worries Mark.

                      And Jamie, I've been dodging furniture and hair dryers all week!

                      Greg M
                      wrote:

                      > Duck! Here it comes..
                      > Was just a note to make as the SC clearly states this issue,
                      comment wasn't
                      > to say that Greg's comments are not correct, just not needed at
                      this point
                      > in time.
                      > Am I correct?
                      > Cheers
                      > _____

                      Bore
                      > Tankers - Ray Estrella
                      >

                      > Wow!! Rough crowd. Watch your back Greg, they might start throwing
                      > virtual chairs at you next. hahaha!!
                      >
                      > jamie
                    • Mark McLauchlin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                        No intent to cause harm Greg :-)

                        Cheers

                        _____

                        wrote:

                        > Duck! Here it comes..
                        > Was just a note to make as the SC clearly states this issue,
                        comment wasn't
                        > to say that Greg's comments are not correct, just not needed at
                        this point
                        > in time.
                        > Am I correct?
                        > Cheers
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com

                      • S
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                          Hi Ray,

                          Here are your edits.

                          Sheila
                          BGT OR Editor

                          > Actual Dimensions: 3 L, 17 x 7.5 in (43 x 19 cm); 2 L, N/A
                          EDIT: Do you have the 2L dimensions?

                          > They are just shy of being completely clear, they
                          > have some slight translucency.
                          Edit: If it's just shy of being clear, I think you mean they have some slight opacity.

                          > The bladder is filled by way of a bright blue, star-shaped 63 mm
                          EDIT: conversion

                          > BigBore Cap with same threads as the company's 32 oz (1L)
                          Edit: To be consistent, use a space. (1 L)

                          > The bottom,
                          > which sticks out farther form a grab spot to hold the Tanker while
                          > filling it.
                          EDIT: This sentence needs to be fixed. I think you mean: "The bottom, which sticks out
                          farther, forms a grab spot..."

                          > At the bag end of the tube is something that I have never seen on a
                          > bladder before. The tube and bladder hook together with a quick-
                          > connect coupler like is seen with air and hydro pressure systems. It
                          > instantly appealed to the Tim Allen in me… (Woo-woo-woo)
                          Comment: Wow! Appealing for the hydro lab nerd as well. Between this and the magnet, I
                          think I'm convinced. Shoot, I should buy one today if I can find it.

                          > They were used twice in 2008 but because of problems detailed below
                          > retired from active duty.
                          Comment: Uh-oh. The foreshadowing is killing me!

                          > I had been breaking 20 miles (32 km) a
                          > day for years, but that year we seldom were below 25 miles (40 km)
                          > with most at 30+ miles (48+ km)
                          Comment/Edit: It'd be more clear if you said "with most hikes at 30+"

                          > While I have used hydration bladders off and on for many years still
                          > liked bottles more.
                          Edit: for many years, I still liked bottles more.

                          > After the third time
                          > using it I tossed them on the shelf where they sat until I wrote this
                          > review.
                          Comment: Bummer. It sounded like it should've been cool.

                          > Nope still leaking.
                          > I looked at the O-ring but could not see anything worn on it. I tried
                          > swapping tubes with my other unit. No go.
                          Comment: Well that sucks. I guess I won't get one!
                        • rayestrella1
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

                            > And Jamie, I've been dodging furniture and hair dryers all week!

                            Hair dryers? What did you do, mess with the Zohan?

                            ;-)

                            Ray
                          • rayestrella1
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                              Hi Sheila,

                              Thank you once more for the edits. (And yes, you too Greg.)All have
                              been made.

                              I also added this line;

                              And while I carried a half-strength mix of GU20 in it most of the time,
                              it never retained any residual flavors.

                              as I realised that I never addressed the lack of flavor retention.

                              See you next month,

                              Ray
                            • rayestrella1
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                                By the way,

                                I did not have the 2 L to measure as I already threw it away when I
                                wrote this review. The weight was already in the future folder as I
                                weigh everything as soon as I get it in case it changes with use, wear,
                                dirt, etc.

                                And I made a folder for it and uploaded.

                                Thanks,

                                Ray
                              • Greg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                                  Yes Ray, I messed with the Zohan :D Please tell me that you have seen
                                  that movie!

                                  Greg M
                                  <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > And Jamie, I've been dodging furniture and hair dryers all week!
                                  >
                                  > Hair dryers? What did you do, mess with the Zohan?
                                  >
                                  > ;-)
                                  >
                                  > Ray
                                • S
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                                    Hi Ray,

                                    I forgot to say "Approval" and am doing it now so that Jamie catches it for the list. I see
                                    you found your folder for the upload. Sorry I screwed up! :-)

                                    Sheila