REPOST - Montrail Torre GTX Boots - Sophie Pearson

  • Sophie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%20OR%20-%20Montrail%20Torre%20GTX%20boots%20-%20S%20Pearson/

      Montrail Torre GTX Hiking Boots
      Owner Review
      June 3, 2008

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Sophie Pearson
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 7” (1.71 m)
      Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
      Shoe size: US Women's 10.5, Europe 42
      Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
      Location: Tampa, Florida USA

      Backpacking Background: I first started backpacking as a teenager. I
      did a month-long trip in the Arctic but most of my backpacking
      experience has been weekend to 10 day trips, in a range of terrains
      and climates. I am a volcanologist so also do day hikes carrying
      loaded packs over intense terrain. Nowadays I am nearly always in
      sub-tropical or tropical climates. I am heading more and more towards
      ultralight packing, and unless I am sharing I use a bivy rather than a
      tent. I try to pack under 20 lb for long weekend trips but have
      carried over 50 lb.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Montrail
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Listed weight: 1 lb 7 oz (0.65 kg)
      Weight as delivered: 1 lb 10 oz ( 0.73 kg) per boot
      Size: Women's 10 wide
      MSRP: N/A

      Product description
      The Montrail Torre GTX is a medium weight, waterproof hiking boot. The
      boots have Vibram soles which result in good tread that doesn't wear
      down and gives good traction. They have enough flexibility to make
      them comfortable walking but are definitely sturdy. The boot is made
      of Nubuck leather with a rubber toe cap that saved my toes tripping
      over tree roots! The leather is very supple and has a suede texture
      that doesn't seem to suffer in the rain. The goretex lining means that
      the boots are fully waterproof but still breathable. The tongue of the
      boot is fully attached to the rest of the boot and there are 7 metal
      eyes on each side of each boot to lace it up, with the top 3 being the
      quick-release type rather than feed-through. They are high-cut boots,
      the top reaching maybe an inch over the top of my ankle. This part is
      really well padded and provides great support. I haven't changed the
      insoles the boots came with, which provide decent cushioning. They are
      stuck down and the only thing that has worn is that the name on the
      insole is no longer readable. The bottom of the shoe is shaped so that
      it only goes up slightly where the arch of the foot is. The heel is
      almost rigid to about half-way up, made of thermoplastic. At the top
      of the heel is a thick loop for hanging the boots from a pack or to dry.

      Field information
      I have had these boots for over two years and they have seen pretty
      much all you can imagine. From day hikes up volcanoes in Nicaragua and
      Ecuador, to long weekends in the Appalachians (Georgia and W Virginia)
      and the desert in Utah, to 10 day trips in the Grand Tetons and
      Yellowstone. Terrain has gone from flat sand in Florida, to
      mountainous trails, to extremely uneven, rocky lava flows (believe me,
      boots do not like those!) Weather from 35 C (95 F) to snowing to
      torrential rainstorms. They have seen it all, been well over 300 miles
      and served me great throughout.

      Review
      I had a pair of totally rigid, heavy-weight mountaineering boots for
      many years that were great for ice-climbing and cross-country skiing.
      Finally the solid soles and heavy weight were too much for me and I
      decided to get a mid-weight boot for my backpacking and fieldwork. I
      have wide, fairly short feet and it took me many months and pairs of
      boots before I found the Montrail Torre GTX. It was love at first sight!

      Right from day one these boots were comfortable. They did not really
      require any breaking in and did not give me blisters initially. I have
      only had blisters 2 or 3 times out of many trips, and that has been
      hiking recently in extreme heat in Florida where my feet have swollen.
      Sometimes the tongue rubs on my instep a little bit too, but after
      moving it around and re-lacing it's not a problem. I have also found
      that my feet are far less tired and achy than they used to be with
      mountaineering boots, or than my hiking companions generally complain
      about.

      Unusually, the wide fitting for these boots really is wide. The heel
      is snug but the toe area has lots of space. I have low arches but
      found the insoles comfortable and supporting. High insteps (the top
      part of the foot opposite the arch) have always made it difficult to
      find boots that lace and fit comfortably (I know, I have strange
      feet!) but after some readjusting of the boot tongue these are
      flexible enough and lace high enough to get them to really fit my
      quirky feet. The flexibility also means that they do not rub on my
      ankles where the bone sticks out, a problem I have had with previous
      boots. The ankle support has saved me many times in uneven, rocky lava
      flows which put a lot of strain on the ankles. My biggest complaint is
      probably the leather on the lower half of the boot â€" it scuffed really
      badly the first time I wore them and now has some rips in it. It has
      not affected performance in the two years so I don't think it is a
      real problem but it doesn't look as good and I am worried that it
      could one day affect the waterproofness.

      The boots held up really well in a range of weather conditions. I use
      SmartWool socks and although my feet do get a bit sweaty, it is never
      uncomfortably so. As most of my hiking now is in the tropics or
      sub-tropics this was something I worried about and with synthetic
      socks it was quite unpleasant, but with the SmartWool socks it hasn't
      bothered me. The boots have done a great job at keeping my feet dry in
      torrential rain and snow.

      Summary
      These are well-designed, well-constructed hiking boots that have
      lasted fantastically over two years and many trips. The only real
      issues I have with them is that the lower half of the boot scuffed and
      eventually got a few small rips in it, and that the tongue of the boot
      can sometimes take some readjusting to get comfortable. They are a
      really good fit in general though, even for wide feet like mine. They
      provide great support and are very durable. I would (and have)
      recommended them to anyone who goes hiking, even on rough, abrasive
      terrain.

      Pros:
      Fit even my crazy shaped feet
      Durable
      Comfortable, even when new
      Great support

      Cons:
      The lower half of my boots scuffed easily
      The tongue of the boot can take some adjusting to get comfortable
      In very hot weather I have got heel blisters a few times
    • S
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2008
        Hi Sophie,

        Your OR looking good! I have some additional edits for you. When you complete the edits,
        please upload the new HTML and repost the OR to this list. Your edits will follow the same
        convention: EDITS are required, Edits you should probably do, and Comments are just
        that.

        Sheila
        BGT OR Editor

        > Montrail Torre GTX Hiking Boots
        > Owner Review
        > June 3, 2008
        EDIT: These three lines need to go at the top of your HTML

        > tent. I try to pack under 20 lb for long weekend trips but have
        > carried over 50 lb.
        EDIT: We need metric conversions for both weights.

        > Listed weight: 1 lb 7 oz (0.65 kg)
        Edit: If you can find it on the website, please list what size boot they used for this
        measurement (often it's a ridiculously small size that they use so it makes sense that your
        measurement is higher).

        > Product description
        EDIT: You've added a lot of great information to this section. It should all stay in your OR,
        but I'd like to see a little rearranging. Keep just the facts in this section, like the fact that
        they have Vibram soles and 7 eyes, etc. It is great to describe things in your own words
        though, so the descriptions on the textures (for example) are good, just save the
        "suffering in the rain" for later. The opinions on providing great support and also how the
        boots fared over time is all stuff that should go down in your review section where you
        describe your experiences with these boots.

        > that doesn't seem to suffer in the rain. The goretex lining means that
        EDIT: Gore-Tex

        > torrential rainstorms. They have seen it all, been well over 300 miles
        > and served me great throughout.
        EDIT: metric conversion