Re: Revised: OR - MSR DromLite bags - Ray Estrella

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

      > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
      > an "overachiever"! <Grin>
      >
      > The battle is on.

      Hope you've got enough ammunition Greg. If not, your credit card is
      going to suffer buying all that gear for your OR's.

      <grin>

      Pam
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

          > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
          > an "overachiever"! <Grin>

          I steal no one's thunder. I make my own, thank you...

          > I see your ORs are on the new ones, I have the previous model myself.

          Mine are the previous model. They do not have the grab-edge but are the
          new material. I had never seen a purple one but did see them at Campmor.

          Ray
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
            Yea yea <Grin>

            Yea Campmor has them and I've seen them at TravelCountry as well, I
            love going in that store.

            I asked MSR and they said they're still available, because I called
            to ask before writing it so I didn't waste my time on a totally
            obsolete item. Hopefully they didn't mislead me...

            Greg M
            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@> wrote:
            >
            > > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
            > > an "overachiever"! <Grin>
            >

            > I steal no one's thunder. I make my own, thank you...
            >

            > > I see your ORs are on the new ones, I have the previous model
            myself.

            > Mine are the previous model. They do not have the grab-edge but are
            the
            > new material. I had never seen a purple one but did see them at
            Campmor.

            > Ray

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

              > I asked MSR and they said they're still available, because I called
              > to ask before writing it so I didn't waste my time on a totally
              > obsolete item. Hopefully they didn't mislead me...

              Nah, you are good. As long as an item is still being sold in the
              regular channel (not clearance sites selling discontinued products) you
              are OK. And we even have a two-year window anyway.

              When I was editing I always felt bad to have to tell someone their 5
              year old gear that they worked so hard writing up could not be accepted.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                Hi Greg,

                Your MSR DromLite Bag OR looks good except your manufacturer link is
                not clickable. Please fix this ASAP.

                Thanks
                jamie d
              • Greg
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Gah, another substandard job checking my own work. Blind faith in the
                  BGTRW to take care of it for me was a silly mistake to make.

                  Resolved.

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                  20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20Liter%20DromLite%20Bag/Owner%20Review%
                  20by%20Greg%20McDonald/

                  Greg M
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Greg,
                  >
                  > Your MSR DromLite Bag OR looks good except your manufacturer link
                  is
                  > not clickable. Please fix this ASAP.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > jamie d

                • S
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Hi Ray,

                    Another great OR! Edits below.

                    The upload folder is here:
                    http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/MSR%204-
                    liter%20DromLite%20Bag/

                    or

                    http://tinyurl.com/3mqafo

                    (That's the folder for the 4L bag. Since your recent data were from the 4L size, do you
                    think it should go there?)

                    Sheila

                    > MSRP (US): 2 L; $24.95, 4 L; $26.95, Spigot Cap; $21.95
                    > Volumes reviewed: 2 L (2.1 qt) and 4 L (4.2 qt) Also available in 6 L
                    > (6.3 qt) Listed weights: 2 L; 4.6 oz (130 g), 4 L; 5.1 oz (145 g)
                    > Actual weights: 2 L; 3 oz (85 g), 4 L; 3.9 oz (111 g) Spigot Cap; 1.1
                    > oz (31 g)
                    > Dimensions listed: 2 L; 8 x 16.5 in (20 x 42 cm), 4 L; 10 x 19 in (25
                    > x 48 cm) verified accurate.
                    EDIT: In all of these lists, the semicolon should be used as the separator. So, for example,
                    the MSRP list should be: 2 L, $24.95; 4 L, $26.95; Spigot Cap, $21.95
                    EDIT: Start Listed Weights on a new line
                    EDIT: Any listed weight for the Spigot Cap?

                    > welded together to seal the edges creating the envelope type storage
                    Edit: envelope-type

                    > As can be seen above a small carabiner, piece
                    Comment: I know we don't discuss commas at BGT, but if I were able to, I might mention
                    that I'd put one in after "As can be seen above."

                    > At the lower end of the bag is the 2.15 in (55 mm) ID threaded
                    > opening used to fill or empty the DromLite.
                    Comment: I don't know what "ID threaded" means, but should it be "ID-threaded"?

                    > A smaller cap (two) unscrews to reveal a half-inch ID (13 mm) opening
                    Comment: Same thing here. I don't know what that is, but based on the last part I
                    commented on, does it need to say "ID-threaded opening"?

                    > A flat 1.25 in (32 mm) handle turns
                    Edit: 1.25-in (32-mm)

                    > and is attached by a 2 in (51 mm) tether
                    Edit: 2-in (51-mm) tether

                    > Most use is in summer with
                    Edit: was in summer

                    > Here is the data from a trip I just used the 4 L DromLite
                    EDIT: Data are plural.
                    EDIT: Something's missing. Maybe, "Here are the data from a trip where I recently used
                    the..." (I do prefer "recently" to "just", if that's what you mean. If you mean you only used
                    the 4 L and not the 2 L, I'd change it to say, "...from a trip where I used just the 4 L
                    DromLite.")

                    > great-weight-reduction-program.
                    Edit: great weight-reduction program.

                    > MSR says that they sre
                    EDIT: are

                    > back like a bunch of extra Nalgenes may.
                    EDIT: might

                    > The small form factor is the reason for the second way I use the
                    > DromLite bags.
                    Edit: huh?

                    > Other wise to use the center cap the bag
                    EDIT: Otherwise

                    > One of the best things about the DromLite is filtering water into it.
                    Comment: Okay, this is just something I'm curious about myself. You and Greg both had
                    similar comments about this. What I don't get is what happens when you take the filter
                    off? How do you keep the water from spilling everywhere? I've only ever filtered straight
                    down into a bottle, so I can't imagine how the bag on its side wouldn't spill.

                    > Both attach directly to the threads of the DromLite bags.
                    EDIT: the threads of the openings on the DromLite bags.

                    > I tried to use the DromLite as a hydration bladder using the Hands
                    > Free Kit but did not care for it.
                    EDIT: The hands-free kit currently sold is called the Hydration Kit.

                    > Purpose made bladders work much
                    EDIT: Purpose-made
                    Edit: Do you want to say, "I find that purpose-made bladders work much better"?
                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2008
                      Hi Sheila,

                      I made all the changes and added a sentence to explain the filtering
                      for wondering minds.

                      Thank you very much, see you next month.