Re: REPOST: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag and Hydration Kit

  • S
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi Greg,

      EDIT, Edit and Comments below as usual. We're just going to have to work fast to get your
      OR in before Ray's. Let me check out the OR once more with a quick repost. Thanks.

      Sheila
      BGT OR Editor

      > 30lb (11 and 14 kg).
      EDIT: space after 30

      > Note: The curent version of the Dromlite available from MSR now uses
      EDIT: current
      EDIT: DromLite

      > DromLite Description and Features
      EDIT: It's called a "2 Liter DromLite Bag"

      > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
      > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
      > lighter version of the MSR Dromedary bags - weighing 30% less.
      EDIT: This is a good second sentence, but your first sentence needs to tell me what the
      product actually is -- it's got the word bag in it, I might think it was a sleeping bag.

      > DromLIte slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are either
      > 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimiter webbing.
      EDIT: DromLite
      EDIT: perimeter

      > The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise.
      Edit: I think that's the definition of lengthwise. How about just some dimensions and max
      width when full instead?
      EDIT: Did the spigot thingie come with the bag? I need a description of whatever is on the
      bag itself.

      > MSR Hydration Kit
      Edit: For consistency, how about making this title say "Description and Features" like the
      one above?

      > The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
      > the DromLite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
      EDIT: You need to describe that in the DromLite section. Wait, is the spigot different from
      the 3-in-1? You need to describe it all up there in the DromLite section.

      > The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end of
      EDIT: 3-in-1

      > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
      > to be leakproof
      Edit: This could be tightened up -- "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof..."

      > The DromLite system has become the only hydration bladder that I
      > use.
      EDIT: Super. Can you say how long you have been using it? (...for the past two years on at
      least 1,000 overnight trips...)

      > I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
      > mouth/opening. Before using the MSR DromLite, I used a Camelbak.
      > Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
      > did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
      > I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.
      EDIT: I don't like the comparison and mention of specific other products. Instead, try
      something like, "I made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because it mates
      perfectly with my MSR water filter, unlike my previous water bladder from another
      company, so I can now filter water more efficiently."

      > I use this water for cooking
      > and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea.
      Comment/Edit: To be really clear, you could state that you do that in a cup or other
      container (if you're not pouring the Gatorade mix in the water bag).
    • S
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
        D'oh. Forgot to change the subject.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > > I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
        > > mouth/opening. Before using the MSR DromLite, I used a Camelbak.
        > > Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
        > > did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
        > > I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.
        > EDIT: I don't like the comparison and mention of specific other products. Instead, try
        > something like, "I made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because it mates
        > perfectly with my MSR water filter, unlike my previous water bladder from another
        > company, so I can now filter water more efficiently."
        >
        > > I use this water for cooking
        > > and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea.
        > Comment/Edit: To be really clear, you could state that you do that in a cup or other
        > container (if you're not pouring the Gatorade mix in the water bag).

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hey Sheila,

          I think we've got it (or almost).

          For your editing pleasure, I have uploaded to the test folder:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
          20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/
          Or the Tiny version...
          http://tinyurl.com/6o3n75

          And of course the text version as follows... Thanks Sheila!

          MSR 2 LITER DROMLITE BAG AND HYDRATION KIT
          BY GREG MCDONALD
          OR
          June 03, 2008

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Greg McDonald
          EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
          AGE: 21
          LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
          WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

          I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
          in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
          generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
          hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
          Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
          comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and 30
          lb (11 and 14 kg).

          Product Information

          Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
          Model: MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag
          MSRP: US$24.95
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Listed Volume: 2 L
          Listed Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g)
          Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
          Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
          Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
          Color: Purple
          Note: The current version of the DromLite available from MSR now
          uses 200D Cordura as the body material and the color is now "MSR
          red".

          2 Liter DromLite Description and Features

          The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
          the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
          hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
          The DromLite slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are
          either 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimeter
          webbing.

          The bladder itself is six sided and is a fabulous purple color and I
          don't want to hear anything about it - any man who won't carry a
          purple hydration system isn't much of a man. The mouth of the
          DromLite sits atop the bladder close to one end. The opposite end
          sports a grommet attached in the seam. The DromLite includes the
          black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
          spigot. The seams on the DromLite are plenty thick for a bladder of
          this size and are very well seamed and sealed.

          MSR Hydration Kit Description and Features

          Model: MSR Hydration Kit
          MSRP: US$ 19.95
          Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
          Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
          Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

          The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
          the DromLite from a simple water bag with a spigot on the cap into a
          fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
          The "3 in 1" spigot valve on the top of the cap unscrews and the end
          of the tubing with the swivel elbow attachment screws onto the cap
          in its place. The hydration tube has an alligator clip that can clip
          to my pack straps to keep the tube from dangling all over the place.
          The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
          to be leakproof and it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop
          flow.

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "MSR
          Dromlite with Hydration Kit attached.">>

          Field Use and Observations

          For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
          hydration system that I use. It is my primary water hauler both on
          day hikes and overnight to multi night treks. It might be important
          to note that the vast majority of my experiences with the DromLite
          system have been in Florida, which means temperatures above freezing
          and at low altitudes.

          I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
          mouth/opening. The DromLite mates perfectly with my MSR water
          filter, unlike the previous hydration systems I've used, so I am
          able to filter water much more quickly and efficiently.

          The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
          opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
          I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
          take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
          When I first get to my camp I pump the DromLite full and replace the
          drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
          carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
          and mixing drinks such as tea or Gatorade in either my cup or a
          Nalgene bottle. The spigot cap doesn't flow water particularly
          quickly, but it gets the job done. If it was up to me though I would
          definitely increase the flow of the spigot cap.

          Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
          drawback to the DromLite. There are no handles or loops other than
          the grommet to hold the bladder by and unfortunately this can make
          it pretty awkward to carry if I intend to pump directly from the
          water source. Fortunately for me, I normally pump from a soft-sided
          water bucket that I haul up to camp from the source. So while the
          lack of a handle isn't a huge deal for me, it does keep me hauling
          water back to camp for pumping. Of course the lack of extra webbing
          does cut the weight of the DromLite, so I have been back and forth
          as to my willingness to sacrifice weight for this added
          functionality.

          The DromLite really shines as a hydration system integrated into my
          pack. The 2 liter DromLite fits perfectly in the top lid of my
          backpack, which is the best location I have found for it. It keeps
          the system gravity fed and the tube at the right length for me,
          which I clip to the webbing on my shoulder strap with the included
          alligator clip. The 2 liter capacity is perfectly suited for my
          purposes and, if necessary, I can supplement the amount of water I
          carry by adding a Nalgene bottle or two. Neither the bag nor the
          drinking tube adds any sort of odd taste that I have ever noticed
          and I am sensitive to such things. I am also happy to report I have
          never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
          from the bag leaking, from the threads or swivel elbow on the
          drinking tube, or from the spigot cap. Of course it is important to
          make sure the threads are clean and free of any dirt or grime, but I
          have never had any issues with this practice in the field.

          I have been very pleased with the DromLite's long-term durability. I
          have never had to make any sort of repairs either in the field or at
          home. As I previously mentioned, I have never had any sort of issues
          with any leaks - which is more than I can say for any other product
          of this kind I have ever used. There are a few threads that have
          pulled a bit on the very edge of the seam on one small portion of
          the bladder and the MSR logo is fading, but in my experience I'd
          call this normal cosmetic wear and tear as there has been no
          negative effect on performance whatsoever. I have also never had any
          problems with the hose leaking, and the Bite Valve has performed
          extremely well over time with no leaks or cracks.

          What I Like

          - The DromLite and the Hydration Kit are both very lightweight and
          compact.
          - Its use as a hydration system on the trail and a water dispenser
          in camp makes the DromLite very versatile.
          - Excellent long term durability.

          What I'd Change

          - Improve the flow rate of the "3-in-1" spigot cap.

          Never Stop Exploring,
          Greg McDonald

          Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
        • S
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi Greg,

            The OR is looking good. I do have some more edits for you to make this a great OR. You're
            up against Ray here, after all! ;-)

            At least two edits are repeats, so make sure you carefully make each of the edits below.
            Once you make the edits, please delete your file from the test folder and upload the new
            file here:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20L
            iter%20DromLite%20Bag/

            http://tinyurl.com/4tc4qp

            Sheila

            > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
            EDIT: This needs to be clickable.

            > 2 Liter DromLite Description and Features
            Edit: 2 Liter DromLite Bag Description and Features

            > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
            > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
            > hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
            EDIT: Better, but you still need to focus on what you're actually reviewing. Instead, I'd like
            to see this section begin something like, "The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (blah blah) is a
            hydration bladder made of something and designed for something purpose. The
            dimensions of the bladder when full are something something." After you describe the
            DromLite, you can make the distinctions from the Dromedary.
            Edit: You actually call the thing a number of other names, like hydration system and water
            hauler. All the names make sense, so I think you should drop the bit about "hereafter
            referred to as..."

            > The DromLite includes the
            > black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
            > spigot.
            EDIT: I still don't know what this cap is. I'm guessing it has three different pieces that you
            carry with you in your pack. One is a spigot, one is a like a sports-bottle top, and the
            other is just a solid screw-on cover. If I'm totally wrong, well then, I don't get it! You need
            to describe it.

            > The "3 in 1" spigot valve
            EDIT: 3-in-1
            Edit: I think spigot valve is redundant

            > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
            > to be leakproof
            Edit: This would read better as, "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof."

            > For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
            > hydration system that I use.
            Edit: Please give an estimate of how many days you have used this bladder.
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
              20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20Liter%20DromLite%20Bag/Owner%20Review%
              20by%20Greg%20McDonald/

              Revisions made, and uploaded.

              It became pretty clear that I was causing confusion with the spout and
              the spigot (which is what I have always called it) and the accessory
              thing that MSR sells that the manufacturer actually calls a spigot (I
              read Ray's OR and saw he has it there). So, I said screw it and just
              put in pictures to make it clear.

              I think it came out well, thanks Sheila I appreciate everything.

              Greg M