Re: Revised: OR - MSR DromLite bags - Ray Estrella

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
      Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
      an "overachiever"! <Grin>

      The battle is on. Ray always upstaging me, he did my Maui Jim
      sunglasses a few months back before I could! GAH!

      I see your ORs are on the new ones, I have the previous model myself.

      Greg M
      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

      > I had to change a line.
      >
      > The HTML may be found here;
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/3q73aj
      >
      > Ray
      >
      > MSR DromLite Hydration Bags
      > By Raymond Estrella
      >
      > OWNER REVIEW
      > June 03, 2008
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      > NAME: Raymond Estrella
      > EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      > AGE: 47
      > LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      > WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)
      >
      > I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California,
      and
      > in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round,
      and
      > average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      > lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      > hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      > freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo
      > am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.
      >
      > The Product
      >
      > Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR) part of Cascade
      Designs
      > Inc
      > Web site: www.msrgear.com
      > Product: DromLite bags and Spigot Cap
      > Year manufactured: 2004
      > MSRP (US): 2 L; $24.95, 4 L; $26.95, Spigot Cap; $21.95
      > Volumes reviewed: 2 L (2.1 qt) and 4 L (4.2 qt) Also available in
      6 L
      > (6.3 qt) Listed weights: 2 L; 4.6 oz (130 g), 4 L; 5.1 oz (145 g)
      > Actual weights: 2 L; 3 oz (85 g), 4 L; 3.9 oz (111 g) Spigot Cap;
      1.1
      > oz (31 g)
      > Dimensions listed: 2 L; 8 x 16.5 in (20 x 42 cm), 4 L; 10 x 19 in
      (25
      > x 48 cm) verified accurate.
      >
      > Product Description
      >
      > The Mountain Safety Research DromLite Hydration Bags (hereafter
      > called the DromLite or bag) are collapsible, roll-able fabric
      > reservoirs. They are made of "MSR red" 200-denier Cordura which is
      > welded together to seal the edges creating the envelope type
      storage
      > containers seen above. The fabric has a thick plastic-feeling
      coating
      > on the inside. The MSR logo is applied to the face of the
      DromLites.

      > At the top of the bag is metal grommet that can be used to hang
      the
      > bag on a nail or hook. As can be seen above a small carabiner,
      piece
      > of cord or webbing can be placed through the grommet too. I have a
      > hang strap from MSR on my 4 L bag.
      >
      > At the lower end of the bag is the 2.15 in (55 mm) ID threaded
      > opening used to fill or empty the DromLite. Please note that the
      > newest version has a low profile handle at this spot that mine do
      not
      > have, otherwise they are the same. The opening closes by way of
      what
      > they call a 3-in-1 cap. This is a big cap (one) that fits the
      > threaded opening. A smaller cap (two) unscrews to reveal a half-
      inch
      > ID (13 mm) opening that will allow a reduced flow. In the small
      cap
      > is a flip top valve (three) that gives a fine squirt of liquid. It
      > can be seen here.
      >

      > Another option is the Dromedary Spigot Cap that fits all the
      DromLite
      > and Dromedary bags. This cap screws on to the bag and then the
      center
      > swivels to let the spigot be aligned straight up-and-down. A flat
      > 1.25 in (32 mm) handle turns 180 degrees. When pushed to the right
      > side of the cap the valve is off and says so on the flat side of
      the
      > handle. When rotated to the left side it opens the valve to the on
      > position. A small clear dust cap snaps over the end of the spigot,
      > and is attached by a 2 in (51 mm) tether to keep it from being
      > misplaced.
      >

      > MSR makes a few other optional pieces for use with the DromLite,
      such
      > as the Hydration Kit seen in my top picture.
      >
      > Field Locations
      >
      > I have used the DromLites from San Jacinto State Park to Kings
      Canyon
      > National Park and many places between. Most use is in summer with
      > temperatures that were over 100 F (38 C). I have carried them to
      > 12,000+ ft (3650+ m) elevations.
      >
      > Here is the data from a trip I just used the 4 L DromLite: Jenn
      and I
      > went to Limber Pine Bench in the San Gorgonio Wilderness for an
      > overnighter. The trails were fine, dirt and rock, until just above
      > 8500' (2590 m) where we started hitting lingering snow. Temps were
      > from 67 F to 40 F (20 to 4 C) with enough wind to keep the
      mosquitoes
      > away. We had 3680' (1122 m) of elevation gain in 6 miles (9.6 km)
      and
      > a total of 12 miles for the trip (19.2 km). I started with a 41 lb
      > (18.6 kg) pack weight.
      >
      > Observations
      >
      > I have been using MSR's original Dromedary bags since they came
      out
      > in the early 1990s. In the early 2000s they introduced this
      lighter
      > version which I jumped all over as I was just starting my great-
      > weight-reduction-program. MSR says that they sre 30% lighter which
      > just verified as I have a 2 L Dromedary bag here too.
      >
      > I have always been a bottle user for my water, although the past
      > three years has seen me switch to more and more hydration bladder
      > use. The DromLites were bought for just two very specific uses for
      me.

      > The first is for extra water hauling. Some hikes have to be done
      in
      > multiple days with no reliable water sources. In fact some just
      don't
      > have water period. And since most areas like this tend to be
      desert
      > type locales the added heat factor makes it necessary to carry
      even
      > more water than I might need otherwise. The shape of the DromLite
      > bags works very well for me to put the extra water weight where it
      > works best. I will either place it in the pack tight to my back
      > sitting vertically, or I will put it flat on the top of my pack
      right
      > below the top lid.
      >
      > Because the filled bag is like a water-pillow it does not dig into
      my
      > back like a bunch of extra Nalgenes may. And the best thing is
      that
      > when I have used the water up they take a fraction of the space
      all
      > the empty Nalgenes would once they were depleted, plus weigh less.
      >
      > The small form factor is the reason for the second way I use the
      > DromLite bags. Occasionally I have a camp that is far from a water
      > source like the one with Jenn described above. I knew that water
      was
      > 0.3 miles (0.5 km) and another 300 ft (100 m) of elevation gain
      from
      > the camp site. So I brought a 2.5 gallon (8 L) REI watersack for
      wash
      > water and the 4 L MSR Dromlite bag to supplement our two 2 L
      Platypus
      > Hosers.
      >
      > By filling the DromLite with filtered water I was able to hang it
      in
      > a tree and use it for all of our in-camp water needs. When we were
      > packing up the next day I just rolled up the empty DromLite and
      toss
      > it in my pack. Here is a picture of it in use.
      >

      > I use it the same way for trips that see me making a base camp
      that I
      > will spend more than one night at. Using the optional Spigot Cap
      > (seen above in action) makes it very easy to use to get just what
      is
      > needed. The ease of using the handle to control the flow is much
      > easier than messing with the squirt offered by the 3-in-1 cap that
      > the DromLite comes with. Other wise to use the center cap the bag
      > must be sitting, not hanging, or it is very easy to end up with
      water
      > everywhere. I always bring the Spigot Cap for in-camp use.
      >
      > One of the best things about the DromLite is filtering water into
      it.
      > I have the original MSR WaterWorks filter in Minnesota and a
      Katadyn
      > Vario filter in California. Both attach directly to the threads of
      > the DromLite bags. This makes it very convenient as the bag can
      just
      > sit in my lap or on a rock while I pump. Here is a picture of Jenn
      > filling one in the San Gorgonio Wilderness at Pine Bench Spring.
      >
      > I tried to use the DromLite as a hydration bladder using the Hands
      > Free Kit but did not care for it. Purpose made bladders work much
      > better.
      >
      > They are very easy to clean and rinse out. I shake as much water
      out
      > of them as I can then pull the sides away from each other and hang
      it
      > from clips I have in my gear room for the purpose of drying water
      > reservoirs. Even my oldest Dromedary bag still smells fine.
      >
      > I have never had a leak in any version of the bags. I tried using
      a 6
      > L older version (which is in Minnesota now) as a pillow, but it
      did
      > not work well for me as I like my arm under my pillow. 12 lb (5.4
      kg)
      > of water on it does not feel goodÂ…
      >
      > For the uses I bought them for the DromLites work very well and I
      > plan on keeping them arou

    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

        > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
        > an "overachiever"! <Grin>
        >
        > The battle is on.

        Hope you've got enough ammunition Greg. If not, your credit card is
        going to suffer buying all that gear for your OR's.

        <grin>

        Pam
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2008

          reviews before submission.

          Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
          backpackgeartest.org).

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

            > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
            > an "overachiever"! <Grin>

            I steal no one's thunder. I make my own, thank you...

            > I see your ORs are on the new ones, I have the previous model myself.

            Mine are the previous model. They do not have the grab-edge but are the
            new material. I had never seen a purple one but did see them at Campmor.

            Ray
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
              Yea yea <Grin>

              Yea Campmor has them and I've seen them at TravelCountry as well, I
              love going in that store.

              I asked MSR and they said they're still available, because I called
              to ask before writing it so I didn't waste my time on a totally
              obsolete item. Hopefully they didn't mislead me...

              Greg M
              <rayestrella@...> wrote:

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@> wrote:
              >
              > > Ray why are you always stealing my thunder? I call folks like you
              > > an "overachiever"! <Grin>
              >

              > I steal no one's thunder. I make my own, thank you...
              >

              > > I see your ORs are on the new ones, I have the previous model
              myself.

              > Mine are the previous model. They do not have the grab-edge but are
              the
              > new material. I had never seen a purple one but did see them at
              Campmor.

              > Ray

            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2008
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

                > I asked MSR and they said they're still available, because I called
                > to ask before writing it so I didn't waste my time on a totally
                > obsolete item. Hopefully they didn't mislead me...

                Nah, you are good. As long as an item is still being sold in the
                regular channel (not clearance sites selling discontinued products) you
                are OK. And we even have a two-year window anyway.

                When I was editing I always felt bad to have to tell someone their 5
                year old gear that they worked so hard writing up could not be accepted.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Hi Greg,

                  Your MSR DromLite Bag OR looks good except your manufacturer link is
                  not clickable. Please fix this ASAP.

                  Thanks
                  jamie d
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Gah, another substandard job checking my own work. Blind faith in the
                    BGTRW to take care of it for me was a silly mistake to make.

                    Resolved.

                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                    20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20Liter%20DromLite%20Bag/Owner%20Review%
                    20by%20Greg%20McDonald/

                    Greg M
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Greg,
                    >
                    > Your MSR DromLite Bag OR looks good except your manufacturer link
                    is
                    > not clickable. Please fix this ASAP.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > jamie d

                  • S
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2008
                      Hi Ray,

                      Another great OR! Edits below.

                      The upload folder is here:
                      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/MSR%204-
                      liter%20DromLite%20Bag/

                      or

                      http://tinyurl.com/3mqafo

                      (That's the folder for the 4L bag. Since your recent data were from the 4L size, do you
                      think it should go there?)

                      Sheila

                      > MSRP (US): 2 L; $24.95, 4 L; $26.95, Spigot Cap; $21.95
                      > Volumes reviewed: 2 L (2.1 qt) and 4 L (4.2 qt) Also available in 6 L
                      > (6.3 qt) Listed weights: 2 L; 4.6 oz (130 g), 4 L; 5.1 oz (145 g)
                      > Actual weights: 2 L; 3 oz (85 g), 4 L; 3.9 oz (111 g) Spigot Cap; 1.1
                      > oz (31 g)
                      > Dimensions listed: 2 L; 8 x 16.5 in (20 x 42 cm), 4 L; 10 x 19 in (25
                      > x 48 cm) verified accurate.
                      EDIT: In all of these lists, the semicolon should be used as the separator. So, for example,
                      the MSRP list should be: 2 L, $24.95; 4 L, $26.95; Spigot Cap, $21.95
                      EDIT: Start Listed Weights on a new line
                      EDIT: Any listed weight for the Spigot Cap?

                      > welded together to seal the edges creating the envelope type storage
                      Edit: envelope-type

                      > As can be seen above a small carabiner, piece
                      Comment: I know we don't discuss commas at BGT, but if I were able to, I might mention
                      that I'd put one in after "As can be seen above."

                      > At the lower end of the bag is the 2.15 in (55 mm) ID threaded
                      > opening used to fill or empty the DromLite.
                      Comment: I don't know what "ID threaded" means, but should it be "ID-threaded"?

                      > A smaller cap (two) unscrews to reveal a half-inch ID (13 mm) opening
                      Comment: Same thing here. I don't know what that is, but based on the last part I
                      commented on, does it need to say "ID-threaded opening"?

                      > A flat 1.25 in (32 mm) handle turns
                      Edit: 1.25-in (32-mm)

                      > and is attached by a 2 in (51 mm) tether
                      Edit: 2-in (51-mm) tether

                      > Most use is in summer with
                      Edit: was in summer

                      > Here is the data from a trip I just used the 4 L DromLite
                      EDIT: Data are plural.
                      EDIT: Something's missing. Maybe, "Here are the data from a trip where I recently used
                      the..." (I do prefer "recently" to "just", if that's what you mean. If you mean you only used
                      the 4 L and not the 2 L, I'd change it to say, "...from a trip where I used just the 4 L
                      DromLite.")

                      > great-weight-reduction-program.
                      Edit: great weight-reduction program.

                      > MSR says that they sre
                      EDIT: are

                      > back like a bunch of extra Nalgenes may.
                      EDIT: might

                      > The small form factor is the reason for the second way I use the
                      > DromLite bags.
                      Edit: huh?

                      > Other wise to use the center cap the bag
                      EDIT: Otherwise

                      > One of the best things about the DromLite is filtering water into it.
                      Comment: Okay, this is just something I'm curious about myself. You and Greg both had
                      similar comments about this. What I don't get is what happens when you take the filter
                      off? How do you keep the water from spilling everywhere? I've only ever filtered straight
                      down into a bottle, so I can't imagine how the bag on its side wouldn't spill.

                      > Both attach directly to the threads of the DromLite bags.
                      EDIT: the threads of the openings on the DromLite bags.

                      > I tried to use the DromLite as a hydration bladder using the Hands
                      > Free Kit but did not care for it.
                      EDIT: The hands-free kit currently sold is called the Hydration Kit.

                      > Purpose made bladders work much
                      EDIT: Purpose-made
                      Edit: Do you want to say, "I find that purpose-made bladders work much better"?
                    • rayestrella1
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2008
                        Hi Sheila,

                        I made all the changes and added a sentence to explain the filtering
                        for wondering minds.

                        Thank you very much, see you next month.