EDIT: Revised OR: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag and Hydration Kit

  • S
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi Greg,

      Nice OR for the brownie point! As usual, EDIT, Edit and Comments below. I'd like to see
      this OR again, so please repost to the list with the new text and HTML link.

      Sheila
      BGT OR Editor

      To start off, I'm actually a bit confused. I see MSR has DromLite bags and they sell
      separate hydration kits to turn those into a hydration system. Are you reviewing the
      DromLite bag with the hydration kit purchased separately?

      > OR
      Comment: You have this written out in the HTML, which is best.

      > May 29, 2008
      Comment: Remember to update this when you upload.

      > WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
      Edit: Unless this is a report writer strange thing, can you drop the extra zeros?

      > comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
      > 30lbs (11 and 14 kg).
      EDIT: Put a space between 30 and lb, and make it just lb instead of lbs.

      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo
      > courtesy of MSR">>
      Comment: This photo actually doesn't really add much since I prefer your own photo. But
      then again, it doesn't take away from anything either. Actually, I didn't see this photo
      online. Did you get it from the manufacturer? Because it seems now they're all red (and
      the red is used as a specially-named "MSR red" Cordura). I didn't read ahead, but if the
      product is changed, you'll have to say what any minor changes were since your product (if
      there were major changes then you couldn't review it).

      > Model: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag
      EDIT: DromLite

      > MSRP: $24.95
      EDIT: US$

      > Listed Volume: 2 L (68 fl oz)
      Comment: This is fine but was it you that was just asking about listing volumes?
      Apparently the ruling was that liters are common enough that no conversion is necessary
      (but is okay if you want it).

      > Listed Weight: 3.1 oz
      EDIT: conversion

      EDIT: Measured weight??

      > Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
      > Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
      Edit/Comment: The ones for sale on the website are specifically Cordura. Is yours?

      > Color: Purple
      EDIT: With the color and materials you'll need to say that these vary from what's available
      now and then give the new materials and color.

      > Dromlite Description and Features
      EDIT: DromLite. Check this throughout the report.

      > The MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag (hereon referred to as the "Dromlite"
      EDIT: hereon? is that the word you were going for? (probably hereafter...)

      > or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a version of the MSR
      > Deluxe Dromedaries, but weighs 30% less and is designed for lighter
      > duty.
      Edit: MSR calls them Dromedary bags. I didn't see deluxe or domedaries on the website.
      Edit: So what does it mean that they're "designed for lighter duty"?

      > The mouth of the Dromlite sits atop the bladder close to one
      > end.
      Edit: Can you say which end? It does look like they have a top and bottom to them with
      that little hanging hole thingie or whatever it is at the other end.

      > The Dromlite includes the black "3-in-1" cap with a small flip-
      > closure spout.
      EDIT: What's a 3-in-1 cap?

      > MSR Hydration Kit
      EDIT: Ah, I see. It is two separate things. That's cool, just make it clear up top.

      > MSRP: $19.95
      EDIT: US$ or USD

      > The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
      > the Dromlite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
      > fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
      > The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap
      Edit: ...of the DromLite Bag...

      > comes off and the end
      > opposite the bite valve
      Edit: ...of the Hydration Kit...

      > it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop flow..
      EDIT: extra period.

      > I first made the switch to the MSR Dromlite primarily because of the
      > mouth/opening.
      EDIT: This is good to say why you chose to buy this product and you can give a quick
      statement about how in your previous experience some other type of opening was lame or
      you found that only MSR hydration kits work with these bags or whatever, but drop the
      details about why the CamelBak didn't work for you. That's for another OR.

      > Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
      > drawback to the Dromlite when compared to the Dromedary Deluxe.
      EDIT: Don't compare them. It's fine that you have an idea in your head what the ideal water
      bag would be, but you should change this to say just the part about how it's awkward to
      carry it without handles. (But then again, do you really miss the handles and other features
      since this one weighs so much less?)

      > So while the lack of a handle isn't a huge
      > deal for me, it does keep me carrying a water bag.
      EDIT: This is awkward because even with a handle, you'd still be carrying it, right?

      > I am also happy to report I have
      > never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
      > from the bag leaking or from the threads or swivel elbow on the
      > drinking tube.
      Edit/Comment: That's good. So for the part up above about the spigot, did that ever leak?

      > - The Dromlite and the hydration kit are both very lightweight and
      > compact.
      EDIT: watch your capitalized letters

      > - Improve the flow rate of the "3 in 1" spigot cap.
      EDIT: 3-in-1
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hey Sheila,

        Thanks for the edits. I've changed some things and added a thing or
        two, and I've responded to some of the things you've said that I
        wanted to explain below, have a look at them and then we'll get into
        the REPOST.

        > Nice OR for the brownie point! As usual, EDIT, Edit and Comments
        below. I'd like to see
        > this OR again, so please repost to the list with the new text and
        HTML link.

        Jeez, always wanting to see my work again. Picky picky! <Grin> Of
        course I'd be happy to let you have a sneak peek!

        > To start off, I'm actually a bit confused. I see MSR has DromLite
        bags and they sell
        > separate hydration kits to turn those into a hydration system. Are
        you reviewing the
        > DromLite bag with the hydration kit purchased separately?
        I'm open to suggestions of how to do this, since I don't see any
        place where it is appropriate. Should I change the order of sections
        to "Product Information" then "MSR Hydration Kit" then "DromLite
        Description and Features" to have it all come together more quickly?

        > > WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
        > Edit: Unless this is a report writer strange thing, can you drop
        the extra zeros?
        That's how my BGTRW has been doing it since my first OR. I can
        modify the HTML manually if you prefer.

        > > comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
        > > 30lbs (11 and 14 kg).
        > EDIT: Put a space between 30 and lb, and make it just lb instead
        of lbs.
        I believe I had this discussion with Ted and lb and lbs are both
        acceptable. However, I actually prefer lb to lbs and never caught it
        myself - so I have changed it.

        >Because it seems now they're all red (and
        > the red is used as a specially-named "MSR red" Cordura). I didn't
        read ahead, but if the
        > product is changed, you'll have to say what any minor changes were
        since your product (if
        > there were major changes then you couldn't review it).
        I spoke with MSR before this OR. My version of the DromLite is still
        available from MSR according to the nice lady I spoke with at their
        customer care department. They have changed production to the newer
        version, but the changes were a cosmetic color shift, a minor change
        in the body material, and addition of a little plastic thing around
        the mouth. My version is still available, the model has just been
        updated.

        > > Listed Volume: 2 L (68 fl oz)
        > Comment: This is fine but was it you that was just asking about
        listing volumes?
        > Apparently the ruling was that liters are common enough that no
        conversion is necessary
        > (but is okay if you want it).
        I've decided to go without it, I mistakenly included it in the
        previous version.

        > EDIT: Measured weight??
        Oops. Another thing I had meant to change. Done.

        > EDIT: With the color and materials you'll need to say that these
        vary from what's available
        > now and then give the new materials and color.
        Done.

        > > The mouth of the Dromlite sits atop the bladder close to one
        > > end.
        > Edit: Can you say which end? It does look like they have a top and
        bottom to them with
        > that little hanging hole thingie or whatever it is at the other
        end.
        Tell me what you think of how I did it in this version. I'm open to
        suggestions if you still don't like it.

        Okay, so now the REPOST.

        I've deleted the old version and uploaded the revisions to the test
        folder:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
        20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/
        Or the Tiny Version...
        http://tinyurl.com/6o3n75

        And the text version as follows. Thanks Sheila!

        MSR 2 LITER DROMLITE BAG AND HYDRATION KIT
        BY GREG MCDONALD
        OR
        June 03, 2008

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Greg McDonald
        EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
        AGE: 21
        LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
        WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

        I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
        in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
        generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
        hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
        Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
        comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
        30lb (11 and 14 kg).

        Product Information

        Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
        Model: MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag
        MSRP: US$24.95
        Year of Manufacture: 2006
        Listed Volume: 2 L
        Listed Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g)
        Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
        Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
        Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
        Color: Purple
        Note: The curent version of the Dromlite available from MSR now uses
        200D Cordura as the body material and the color is now "MSR red".

        DromLite Description and Features

        The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
        the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
        lighter version of the MSR Dromedary bags - weighing 30% less. The
        DromLIte slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are either
        500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimiter webbing.

        The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise. It is a
        fabulous purple color and I don't want to hear anything about it -
        any man who won't carry a purple hydration system isn't much of a
        man. The mouth of the DromLite sits atop the bladder close to one
        end. The opposite end sports a grommet attached in the seam. The
        DromLite includes the black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap
        with a small flip-closure spout. The seams on the DromLite are
        plenty thick for a bladder of this size and are very well seamed and
        sealed.

        MSR Hydration Kit

        Model: MSR Hydration Kit
        MSRP: US$ 19.95
        Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
        Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
        Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

        The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
        the DromLite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
        fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
        The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end of
        the tubing with the swivel elbow attachment screws onto the cap in
        its place. The hydration tube has an alligator clip that can clip to
        my pack straps to keep the tube from dangling all over the place.
        The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
        to be leakproof and it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop
        flow.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "MSR
        Dromlite with Hydration Kit attached.">>

        Field Use and Observations

        The DromLite system has become the only hydration bladder that I
        use. It is my primary water hauler both on day hikes and overnight
        to multi night treks. It might be important to note that the vast
        majority of my experiences with the DromLite system have been in
        Florida, which means temperatures above freezing and at low
        altitudes.

        I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
        mouth/opening. Before using the MSR DromLite, I used a Camelbak.
        Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
        did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
        I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.

        The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
        opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
        I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
        take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
        When I first get to my camp I pump the DromLite full and replace the
        drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
        carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
        and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea. The spigot cap doesn't
        flow water particularly quickly, but it gets the job done. If it was
        up to me though I would definitely increase the flow of the spigot
        cap.

        Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
        drawback to the DromLite. There are no handles or loops other than
        the grommet to hold the bladder by and unfortunately this can make
        it pretty awkward to carry if I intend to pump directly from the
        water source. Fortunately for me, I normally pump from a soft-sided
        water bucket that I haul up to camp from the source. So while the
        lack of a handle isn't a huge deal for me, it does keep me hauling
        water back to camp for pumping. Of course the lack of extra webbing
        does cut the weight of the DromLite, so I have been back and forth
        as to my willingness to sacrifice weight for this added
        functionality.

        The DromLite really shines as a hydration system integrated into my
        pack. The 2 liter DromLite fits perfectly in the top lid of my
        backpack, which is the best location I have found for it. It keeps
        the system gravity fed and the tube at the right length for me,
        which I clip to the webbing on my shoulder strap with the included
        alligator clip. The 2 liter capacity is perfectly suited for my
        purposes and, if necessary, I can supplement the amount of water I
        carry by adding a Nalgene bottle or two. Neither the bag nor the
        drinking tube adds any sort of odd taste that I have ever noticed
        and I am sensitive to such things. I am also happy to report I have
        never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
        from the bag leaking, from the threads or swivel elbow on the
        drinking tube, or from the spigot cap. Of course it is important to
        make sure the threads are clean and free of any dirt or grime, but I
        have never had any issues with this practice in the field.

        I have been very pleased with the DromLite's long-term durability. I
        have never had to make any sort of repairs either in the field or at
        home. As I previously mentioned, I have never had any sort of issues
        with any leaks - which is more than I can say for any other product
        of this kind I have ever used. There are a few threads that have
        pulled a bit on the very edge of the seam on one small portion of
        the bladder and the MSR logo is fading, but in my experience I'd
        call this normal cosmetic wear and tear as there has been no
        negative effect on performance whatsoever. I have also never had any
        problems with the hose leaking, and the Bite Valve has performed
        extremely well over time with no leaks or cracks.

        What I Like

        - The DromLite and the Hydration Kit are both very lightweight and
        compact.
        - Its use as a hydration system on the trail and a water dispenser
        in camp makes the DromLite very versatile.
        - Excellent long term durability.

        What I'd Change

        - Improve the flow rate of the "3-in-1" spigot cap.

        Never Stop Exploring,
        Greg McDonald

        Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      • S
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Greg,

          EDIT, Edit and Comments below as usual. We're just going to have to work fast to get your
          OR in before Ray's. Let me check out the OR once more with a quick repost. Thanks.

          Sheila
          BGT OR Editor

          > 30lb (11 and 14 kg).
          EDIT: space after 30

          > Note: The curent version of the Dromlite available from MSR now uses
          EDIT: current
          EDIT: DromLite

          > DromLite Description and Features
          EDIT: It's called a "2 Liter DromLite Bag"

          > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
          > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
          > lighter version of the MSR Dromedary bags - weighing 30% less.
          EDIT: This is a good second sentence, but your first sentence needs to tell me what the
          product actually is -- it's got the word bag in it, I might think it was a sleeping bag.

          > DromLIte slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are either
          > 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimiter webbing.
          EDIT: DromLite
          EDIT: perimeter

          > The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise.
          Edit: I think that's the definition of lengthwise. How about just some dimensions and max
          width when full instead?
          EDIT: Did the spigot thingie come with the bag? I need a description of whatever is on the
          bag itself.

          > MSR Hydration Kit
          Edit: For consistency, how about making this title say "Description and Features" like the
          one above?

          > The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
          > the DromLite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
          EDIT: You need to describe that in the DromLite section. Wait, is the spigot different from
          the 3-in-1? You need to describe it all up there in the DromLite section.

          > The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end of
          EDIT: 3-in-1

          > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
          > to be leakproof
          Edit: This could be tightened up -- "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof..."

          > The DromLite system has become the only hydration bladder that I
          > use.
          EDIT: Super. Can you say how long you have been using it? (...for the past two years on at
          least 1,000 overnight trips...)

          > I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
          > mouth/opening. Before using the MSR DromLite, I used a Camelbak.
          > Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
          > did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
          > I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.
          EDIT: I don't like the comparison and mention of specific other products. Instead, try
          something like, "I made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because it mates
          perfectly with my MSR water filter, unlike my previous water bladder from another
          company, so I can now filter water more efficiently."

          > I use this water for cooking
          > and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea.
          Comment/Edit: To be really clear, you could state that you do that in a cup or other
          container (if you're not pouring the Gatorade mix in the water bag).
        • S
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            D'oh. Forgot to change the subject.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hey Sheila,

              I think we've got it (or almost).

              For your editing pleasure, I have uploaded to the test folder:

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
              20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/
              Or the Tiny version...
              http://tinyurl.com/6o3n75

              And of course the text version as follows... Thanks Sheila!

[...]

              Note: The current version of the DromLite available from MSR now
              uses 200D Cordura as the body material and the color is now "MSR
              red".

              2 Liter DromLite Description and Features

              The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
              the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
              hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
              The DromLite slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are
              either 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimeter
              webbing.

              The bladder itself is six sided and is a fabulous purple color and I
              don't want to hear anything about it - any man who won't carry a
              purple hydration system isn't much of a man. The mouth of the
              DromLite sits atop the bladder close to one end. The opposite end
              sports a grommet attached in the seam. The DromLite includes the
              black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
              spigot. The seams on the DromLite are plenty thick for a bladder of
              this size and are very well seamed and sealed.

              MSR Hydration Kit Description and Features

              Model: MSR Hydration Kit
              MSRP: US$ 19.95
              Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
              Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
              Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

              The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
              the DromLite from a simple water bag with a spigot on the cap into a
              fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
              The "3 in 1" spigot valve on the top of the cap unscrews and the end
              of the tubing with the swivel elbow attachment screws onto the cap
              in its place. The hydration tube has an alligator clip that can clip
              to my pack straps to keep the tube from dangling all over the place.
              The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
              to be leakproof and it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop
              flow.

              <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "MSR
              Dromlite with Hydration Kit attached.">>

              Field Use and Observations

              For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
              hydration system that I use. It is my primary water hauler both on
              day hikes and overnight to multi night treks. It might be important
              to note that the vast majority of my experiences with the DromLite
              system have been in Florida, which means temperatures above freezing
              and at low altitudes.

              I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
              mouth/opening. The DromLite mates perfectly with my MSR water
              filter, unlike the previous hydration systems I've used, so I am
              able to filter water much more quickly and efficiently.

              The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
              opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
              I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
              take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
              When I first get to my camp I pump the DromLite full and replace the
              drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
              carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
              and mixing drinks such as tea or Gatorade in either my cup or a
              Nalgene bottle. The spigot cap doesn't flow water particularly

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                Hi Greg,

                The OR is looking good. I do have some more edits for you to make this a great OR. You're
                up against Ray here, after all! ;-)

                At least two edits are repeats, so make sure you carefully make each of the edits below.
                Once you make the edits, please delete your file from the test folder and upload the new
                file here:

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20L
                iter%20DromLite%20Bag/

                http://tinyurl.com/4tc4qp

                Sheila

                > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
                EDIT: This needs to be clickable.

                > 2 Liter DromLite Description and Features
                Edit: 2 Liter DromLite Bag Description and Features

                > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
                > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
                > hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
                EDIT: Better, but you still need to focus on what you're actually reviewing. Instead, I'd like
                to see this section begin something like, "The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (blah blah) is a
                hydration bladder made of something and designed for something purpose. The
                dimensions of the bladder when full are something something." After you describe the
                DromLite, you can make the distinctions from the Dromedary.
                Edit: You actually call the thing a number of other names, like hydration system and water
                hauler. All the names make sense, so I think you should drop the bit about "hereafter
                referred to as..."

                > The DromLite includes the
                > black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
                > spigot.
                EDIT: I still don't know what this cap is. I'm guessing it has three different pieces that you
                carry with you in your pack. One is a spigot, one is a like a sports-bottle top, and the
                other is just a solid screw-on cover. If I'm totally wrong, well then, I don't get it! You need
                to describe it.

                > The "3 in 1" spigot valve
                EDIT: 3-in-1
                Edit: I think spigot valve is redundant

                > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
                > to be leakproof
                Edit: This would read better as, "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof."

                > For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
                > hydration system that I use.
                Edit: Please give an estimate of how many days you have used this bladder.
              • Greg
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                  20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20Liter%20DromLite%20Bag/Owner%20Review%
                  20by%20Greg%20McDonald/

                  Revisions made, and uploaded.

                  It became pretty clear that I was causing confusion with the spout and
                  the spigot (which is what I have always called it) and the accessory
                  thing that MSR sells that the manufacturer actually calls a spigot (I
                  read Ray's OR and saw he has it there). So, I said screw it and just
                  put in pictures to make it clear.

                  I think it came out well, thanks Sheila I appreciate everything.

                  Greg M