REPOST: REI Mini Candle Lantern - Dawn Larsen

  • Dr. Dawn Larsen

      REI Mini Candle Lantern
      Date: 6/1/08

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 47
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 (74 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly@...
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just recently
      (in the last year) backpacked some private trails twice in Tennessee.
      I have been an avid car-camper for ten years and I have kayak/canoe
      camped for three years, both mostly in Tennessee, Missouri and
      Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike
      hilly/rocky trails especially in Tennessee and Missouri. I just moved
      to South Carolina and am planning to check out the terrain here with
      my fourteen year-old son, who also kayaks and camps.

      Product Details
      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of manufacture: purchased in 2007
      Listed weight of lantern without candle: 3.7 oz (105 g)
      Weight as delivered without packaging and candle: 3.7 oz (105 g)
      Measured weight with candle (1 aluminum tealight) 3.9 oz (111 g)
      Dimensions: 4" (102 mm) high x 8.5" (216mm) around
      MSRP: $10.95 USD
      Burn time per candle (tealight): 4 hours approx.

      reilanternpic

      Product Description
      Lightweight candle lantern good for backpacking and emergency home
      use. These lanterns have an aluminum housing with glass shield and
      plastic bottom. It has aluminum prongs in the bottom to hold any
      common tealight candle. I can store up to four extra tealights in the
      lantern while it is not in use. It has a reservoir to catch any
      liquid wax that might spill (if I was to bump it). It has a wire
      hanger attached. It comes in a plastic cylindrical case.

      Field Experience
      I have owned two of these, both purchased at an REI store. The first
      came with just the lantern and a candle, no packaging or instructions
      (except what was printed on the lantern). The second came in a
      plastic cylindrical case with instructions and a tealight candle. The
      first one of these lanterns I had (the first time I used it), I left
      burning by my tent on a rock(s) one night and the black plastic bottom
      melted to the aluminum case. I think the black plastic may have
      partially ignited, as well. Yikes!

      I bought another thinking that the first one was defective. So far,
      the second one has worked fine. I have used it for about two years at
      least ten times per year. I have used this lantern mainly in the
      summer in Tennessee (hot and humid), but also a few times in colder
      spring weather (below freezing). It worked in all temperatures. I have
      also used it in fairly high wind and it works fine. It worked for me
      in light rainshowers. I've never used it in a downpour.

      Because of the experience with the first one, I have been very careful
      to watch it and not let it burn long. It's probably burned only an
      hour or two at any one time. I do know from experience that regular
      tealight candles burn about 4 hours. The instructions told me you to
      make sure there was airflow under the lantern. I don't remember if
      the first lantern was sitting on a rock or gravel and that may have
      been why it melted/ignited. It does get very hot to the touch after
      about 15 minutes. It depends on the temperature, but in hot weather
      (90 degrees F), it takes about 10 minutes for it to cool down.

      I use it as a "guide" light to set near my tent while setting up. I
      use it as "atmosphere" because the light is low and it doesn't hurt my
      eyes. I would not use it as an inside the tent light only because of
      the problem with the first lantern. It is not very bright. I have had
      lasik surgery and don't' see well in low light, so I could not read by
      it. I have boiled water by its light and I had to move it around a
      great deal because the throw of the light is very limited.

      Summary
      I still carry the second lantern and probably will continue to do so,
      but I use caution because of the previous melting experience from the
      first one.

      Things I like:
      1. lightweight
      2. small and compact, can store extra candles in it
      3. no batteries
      4. sort of cool "atmospherey" low light

      Things I don't like:
      1. might melt and ignite