Revised OR: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag and Hydration Kit

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2008
      Hello Mystery Editor,

      I had another look at my OR and there were some things I needed to
      change that I just wasn't really happen with. So I've made some
      changes, and uploaded my revised version to the test folder. Links
      are...

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
      20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/

      or the Tiny version

      http://tinyurl.com/6qp9u4

      and of course the text as follows! Thanks in advance for your edits,
      I look forward to wrapping this one up soon!

      Greg M

      MSR 2 LITER DROMLITE BAG AND HYDRATION KIT
      BY GREG MCDONALD
      OR
      May 29, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Greg McDonald
      EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 21
      LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
      in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
      generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
      hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
      Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
      comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
      30lbs (11 and 14 kg).

      Product Information

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo
      courtesy of MSR">>
      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
      Model: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag
      MSRP: $24.95
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Listed Volume: 2 L (68 fl oz)
      Listed Weight: 3.1 oz
      Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
      Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
      Color: Purple

      Dromlite Description and Features

      The MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag (hereon referred to as the "Dromlite"
      or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a version of the MSR
      Deluxe Dromedaries, but weighs 30% less and is designed for lighter
      duty.

      The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise. It is a
      fabulous purple color and I don't want to hear anything about it -
      any man who won't carry a purple hydration system isn't much of a
      man. The mouth of the Dromlite sits atop the bladder close to one
      end. The Dromlite includes the black "3-in-1" cap with a small flip-
      closure spout. The seams on the Dromlite are plenty thick for a
      bladder of this size and are very well seamed and sealed. In the end
      of the bladder opposite the mouth, a grommet has been attached
      inside the seam.

      MSR Hydration Kit

      Model: MSR Hydration Kit
      MSRP: $19.95
      Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
      Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
      Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

      The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
      the Dromlite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
      fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
      The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end
      opposite the bite valve screws onto the cap in its place. The
      hydration tube has an alligator clip that can clip to my pack straps
      to keep the tube from dangling all over the place. The bite valve is
      the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims to be leakproof and
      it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop flow..

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "MSR
      Dromlite with Hydration Kit attached.">>

      Field Use and Observations

      The Dromlite system has become the only hydration bladder that I
      use. It is my primary water hauler both on day hikes and overnight
      to multi night treks. It might be important to note that the vast
      majority of my experiences with the Dromlite system have been in
      Florida, which means temperatures above freezing and at low
      altitudes.

      I first made the switch to the MSR Dromlite primarily because of the
      mouth/opening. Before using the MSR Dromlite, I used a Camelbak. The
      Camelbak's mouth did not mate at all with my MSR MiniWorks water
      purifier which made filling my Camelbak in the field a huge hassle.
      I had to decide between holding the end of my filter and the mouth
      of the Camelbak awkwardly together while I filtered or fill my
      Nalgene bottle, unhook it from my purifier, dump the water in, and
      repeat. Needless to say, that got old quick. The Dromlite mates
      perfectly with my filter so I can filter my water quicker and more
      efficiently.

      The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
      opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
      I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
      take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
      When I first get to my camp I pump the Dromlite full and replace the
      drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
      carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
      and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea. The spigot cap doesn't
      flow water particularly quickly, but it gets the job done. If it was
      up to me though I would definitely increase the flow of the spigot
      cap.

      Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
      drawback to the Dromlite when compared to the Dromedary Deluxe.
      There are no handles or loops other than the grommet to hold the
      bladder by and unfortunately this can make it pretty awkward to
      carry if I intend to pump directly from the water source.
      Fortunately for me, I normally pump from a water bag that I haul up
      to camp from the source. So while the lack of a handle isn't a huge
      deal for me, it does keep me carrying a water bag.

      The Dromlite really shines as a hydration system integrated into my
      pack. The 2 liter Dromlite fits perfectly in the top lid of my
      backpack, which is the best location I have found for it. It keeps
      the system gravity fed and the tube at the right length for me,
      which I clip to the webbing on my shoulder strap with the included
      alligator clip. The 2 liter capacity is perfectly suited for my
      purposes and, if necessary, I can supplement the amount of water I
      carry by adding a Nalgene bottle or two. Neither the bag nor the
      drinking tube adds any sort of odd taste that I have ever noticed
      and I am sensitive to such things. I am also happy to report I have
      never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
      from the bag leaking or from the threads or swivel elbow on the
      drinking tube.

      I have been very pleased with the Dromlite's long-term durability. I
      have never had to make any sort of repairs either in the field or at
      home. As I previously mentioned, I have never had any sort of issues
      with any leaks - which is more than I can say for any other product
      of this kind I have ever used. There are a few threads that have
      pulled a bit on the very edge of the seam on one small portion of
      the bladder and the MSR logo is fading, but in my experience I'd
      call this normal cosmetic wear and tear as there has been no
      negative effect on performance whatsoever. I have also never had any
      problems with the hose leaking, and the Bite Valve has performed
      extremely well over time with no leaks or cracks.

      What I Like

      - The Dromlite and the hydration kit are both very lightweight and
      compact.
      - Its use as a hydration system on the trail and a water dispenser
      in camp makes the Dromlite very versatile.
      - Excellent long term durability.

      What I'd Change

      - Improve the flow rate of the "3 in 1" spigot cap.
      - Add a carrying handle or strap.

      Never Stop Exploring,
      Greg McDonald

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • S
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Greg,

        Nice OR for the brownie point! As usual, EDIT, Edit and Comments below. I'd like to see
        this OR again, so please repost to the list with the new text and HTML link.

        Sheila
        BGT OR Editor

        To start off, I'm actually a bit confused. I see MSR has DromLite bags and they sell
        separate hydration kits to turn those into a hydration system. Are you reviewing the
        DromLite bag with the hydration kit purchased separately?

        > OR
        Comment: You have this written out in the HTML, which is best.

        > May 29, 2008
        Comment: Remember to update this when you upload.

        > WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
        Edit: Unless this is a report writer strange thing, can you drop the extra zeros?

        > comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
        > 30lbs (11 and 14 kg).
        EDIT: Put a space between 30 and lb, and make it just lb instead of lbs.

        > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo
        > courtesy of MSR">>
        Comment: This photo actually doesn't really add much since I prefer your own photo. But
        then again, it doesn't take away from anything either. Actually, I didn't see this photo
        online. Did you get it from the manufacturer? Because it seems now they're all red (and
        the red is used as a specially-named "MSR red" Cordura). I didn't read ahead, but if the
        product is changed, you'll have to say what any minor changes were since your product (if
        there were major changes then you couldn't review it).

        > Model: MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag
        EDIT: DromLite

        > MSRP: $24.95
        EDIT: US$

        > Listed Volume: 2 L (68 fl oz)
        Comment: This is fine but was it you that was just asking about listing volumes?
        Apparently the ruling was that liters are common enough that no conversion is necessary
        (but is okay if you want it).

        > Listed Weight: 3.1 oz
        EDIT: conversion

        EDIT: Measured weight??

        > Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
        > Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
        Edit/Comment: The ones for sale on the website are specifically Cordura. Is yours?

        > Color: Purple
        EDIT: With the color and materials you'll need to say that these vary from what's available
        now and then give the new materials and color.

        > Dromlite Description and Features
        EDIT: DromLite. Check this throughout the report.

        > The MSR 2 Liter Dromlite Bag (hereon referred to as the "Dromlite"
        EDIT: hereon? is that the word you were going for? (probably hereafter...)

        > or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a version of the MSR
        > Deluxe Dromedaries, but weighs 30% less and is designed for lighter
        > duty.
        Edit: MSR calls them Dromedary bags. I didn't see deluxe or domedaries on the website.
        Edit: So what does it mean that they're "designed for lighter duty"?

        > The mouth of the Dromlite sits atop the bladder close to one
        > end.
        Edit: Can you say which end? It does look like they have a top and bottom to them with
        that little hanging hole thingie or whatever it is at the other end.

        > The Dromlite includes the black "3-in-1" cap with a small flip-
        > closure spout.
        EDIT: What's a 3-in-1 cap?

        > MSR Hydration Kit
        EDIT: Ah, I see. It is two separate things. That's cool, just make it clear up top.

        > MSRP: $19.95
        EDIT: US$ or USD

        > The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
        > the Dromlite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
        > fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
        > The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap
        Edit: ...of the DromLite Bag...

        > comes off and the end
        > opposite the bite valve
        Edit: ...of the Hydration Kit...

        > it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop flow..
        EDIT: extra period.

        > I first made the switch to the MSR Dromlite primarily because of the
        > mouth/opening.
        EDIT: This is good to say why you chose to buy this product and you can give a quick
        statement about how in your previous experience some other type of opening was lame or
        you found that only MSR hydration kits work with these bags or whatever, but drop the
        details about why the CamelBak didn't work for you. That's for another OR.

        > Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
        > drawback to the Dromlite when compared to the Dromedary Deluxe.
        EDIT: Don't compare them. It's fine that you have an idea in your head what the ideal water
        bag would be, but you should change this to say just the part about how it's awkward to
        carry it without handles. (But then again, do you really miss the handles and other features
        since this one weighs so much less?)

        > So while the lack of a handle isn't a huge
        > deal for me, it does keep me carrying a water bag.
        EDIT: This is awkward because even with a handle, you'd still be carrying it, right?

        > I am also happy to report I have
        > never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
        > from the bag leaking or from the threads or swivel elbow on the
        > drinking tube.
        Edit/Comment: That's good. So for the part up above about the spigot, did that ever leak?

        > - The Dromlite and the hydration kit are both very lightweight and
        > compact.
        EDIT: watch your capitalized letters

        > - Improve the flow rate of the "3 in 1" spigot cap.
        EDIT: 3-in-1
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hey Sheila,

          Thanks for the edits. I've changed some things and added a thing or
          two, and I've responded to some of the things you've said that I
          wanted to explain below, have a look at them and then we'll get into
          the REPOST.

          > Nice OR for the brownie point! As usual, EDIT, Edit and Comments
          below. I'd like to see
          > this OR again, so please repost to the list with the new text and
          HTML link.

          Jeez, always wanting to see my work again. Picky picky! <Grin> Of
          course I'd be happy to let you have a sneak peek!

          > To start off, I'm actually a bit confused. I see MSR has DromLite
          bags and they sell
          > separate hydration kits to turn those into a hydration system. Are
          you reviewing the
          > DromLite bag with the hydration kit purchased separately?
          I'm open to suggestions of how to do this, since I don't see any
          place where it is appropriate. Should I change the order of sections
          to "Product Information" then "MSR Hydration Kit" then "DromLite
          Description and Features" to have it all come together more quickly?

          > > WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
          > Edit: Unless this is a report writer strange thing, can you drop
          the extra zeros?
          That's how my BGTRW has been doing it since my first OR. I can
          modify the HTML manually if you prefer.

          > > comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
          > > 30lbs (11 and 14 kg).
          > EDIT: Put a space between 30 and lb, and make it just lb instead
          of lbs.
          I believe I had this discussion with Ted and lb and lbs are both
          acceptable. However, I actually prefer lb to lbs and never caught it
          myself - so I have changed it.

          >Because it seems now they're all red (and
          > the red is used as a specially-named "MSR red" Cordura). I didn't
          read ahead, but if the
          > product is changed, you'll have to say what any minor changes were
          since your product (if
          > there were major changes then you couldn't review it).
          I spoke with MSR before this OR. My version of the DromLite is still
          available from MSR according to the nice lady I spoke with at their
          customer care department. They have changed production to the newer
          version, but the changes were a cosmetic color shift, a minor change
          in the body material, and addition of a little plastic thing around
          the mouth. My version is still available, the model has just been
          updated.

          > > Listed Volume: 2 L (68 fl oz)
          > Comment: This is fine but was it you that was just asking about
          listing volumes?
          > Apparently the ruling was that liters are common enough that no
          conversion is necessary
          > (but is okay if you want it).
          I've decided to go without it, I mistakenly included it in the
          previous version.

          > EDIT: Measured weight??
          Oops. Another thing I had meant to change. Done.

          > EDIT: With the color and materials you'll need to say that these
          vary from what's available
          > now and then give the new materials and color.
          Done.

          > > The mouth of the Dromlite sits atop the bladder close to one
          > > end.
          > Edit: Can you say which end? It does look like they have a top and
          bottom to them with
          > that little hanging hole thingie or whatever it is at the other
          end.
          Tell me what you think of how I did it in this version. I'm open to
          suggestions if you still don't like it.

          Okay, so now the REPOST.

          I've deleted the old version and uploaded the revisions to the test
          folder:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
          20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/
          Or the Tiny Version...
          http://tinyurl.com/6o3n75

          And the text version as follows. Thanks Sheila!

          MSR 2 LITER DROMLITE BAG AND HYDRATION KIT
          BY GREG MCDONALD
          OR
          June 03, 2008

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Greg McDonald
          EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
          AGE: 21
          LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
          WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

          I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
          in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
          generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
          hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
          Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
          comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and
          30lb (11 and 14 kg).

          Product Information

          Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
          Model: MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag
          MSRP: US$24.95
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Listed Volume: 2 L
          Listed Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g)
          Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
          Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
          Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
          Color: Purple
          Note: The curent version of the Dromlite available from MSR now uses
          200D Cordura as the body material and the color is now "MSR red".

          DromLite Description and Features

          The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
          the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
          lighter version of the MSR Dromedary bags - weighing 30% less. The
          DromLIte slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are either
          500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimiter webbing.

          The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise. It is a
          fabulous purple color and I don't want to hear anything about it -
          any man who won't carry a purple hydration system isn't much of a
          man. The mouth of the DromLite sits atop the bladder close to one
          end. The opposite end sports a grommet attached in the seam. The
          DromLite includes the black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap
          with a small flip-closure spout. The seams on the DromLite are
          plenty thick for a bladder of this size and are very well seamed and
          sealed.

          MSR Hydration Kit

          Model: MSR Hydration Kit
          MSRP: US$ 19.95
          Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
          Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
          Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

          The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
          the DromLite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
          fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
          The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end of
          the tubing with the swivel elbow attachment screws onto the cap in
[...]

          Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
          did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
          I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.

          The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
          opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
          I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
          take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
          When I first get to my camp I pump the DromLite full and replace the
          drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
          carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
          and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea. The spigot cap doesn't
          flow water particularly quickly, but it gets the job done. If it was
          up to me though I would definitely increase the flow of the spigot
          cap.

          Besides the slow flow on the spigot cap, I have found another
          drawback to the DromLite. There are no handles or loops other than
          the grommet to hold the bladder by and unfortunately this can make
          it pretty awkward to carry if I intend to pump directly from the
          water source. Fortunately for me, I normally pump from a soft-sided
          water bucket that I haul up to camp from the source. So while the
          lack of a handle isn't a huge deal for me, it does keep me hauling
          water back to camp for pumping. Of course the lack of extra webbing
          does cut the weight of the DromLite, so I have been back and forth
          as to my willingness to sacrifice weight for this added
          functionality.

          The DromLite really shines as a hydration system integrated into my
          pack. The 2 liter DromLite fits perfectly in the top lid of my
          backpack, which is the best location I have found for it. It keeps
          the system gravity fed and the tube at the right length for me,
          which I clip to the webbing on my shoulder strap with the included
          alligator clip. The 2 liter capacity is perfectly suited for my
          purposes and, if necessary, I can supplement the amount of water I
          carry by adding a Nalgene bottle or two. Neither the bag nor the
          drinking tube adds any sort of odd taste that I have ever noticed
          and I am sensitive to such things. I am also happy to report I have
          never suffered any leaking or dampness inside the lid of my pack
          from the bag leaking, from the threads or swivel elbow on the
          drinking tube, or from the spigot cap. Of course it is important to
          make sure the threads are clean and free of any dirt or grime, but I
          have never had any issues with this practice in the field.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi Greg,

            EDIT, Edit and Comments below as usual. We're just going to have to work fast to get your
            OR in before Ray's. Let me check out the OR once more with a quick repost. Thanks.

            Sheila
            BGT OR Editor

            > 30lb (11 and 14 kg).
            EDIT: space after 30

            > Note: The curent version of the Dromlite available from MSR now uses
            EDIT: current
            EDIT: DromLite

            > DromLite Description and Features
            EDIT: It's called a "2 Liter DromLite Bag"

            > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
            > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
            > lighter version of the MSR Dromedary bags - weighing 30% less.
            EDIT: This is a good second sentence, but your first sentence needs to tell me what the
            product actually is -- it's got the word bag in it, I might think it was a sleeping bag.

            > DromLIte slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are either
            > 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimiter webbing.
            EDIT: DromLite
            EDIT: perimeter

            > The bladder itself is six sided, and is longest lengthwise.
            Edit: I think that's the definition of lengthwise. How about just some dimensions and max
            width when full instead?
            EDIT: Did the spigot thingie come with the bag? I need a description of whatever is on the
            bag itself.

            > MSR Hydration Kit
            Edit: For consistency, how about making this title say "Description and Features" like the
            one above?

            > The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
            > the DromLite from a simple water bag with spigot on the cap into a
            EDIT: You need to describe that in the DromLite section. Wait, is the spigot different from
            the 3-in-1? You need to describe it all up there in the DromLite section.

            > The "3 in 1" valve on the top of the cap comes off and the end of
            EDIT: 3-in-1

            > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
            > to be leakproof
            Edit: This could be tightened up -- "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof..."

            > The DromLite system has become the only hydration bladder that I
            > use.
            EDIT: Super. Can you say how long you have been using it? (...for the past two years on at
            least 1,000 overnight trips...)

            > I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
            > mouth/opening. Before using the MSR DromLite, I used a Camelbak.
            > Filling my CamelBak in the field had become quite a chore because it
            > did not mate at all MSR MiniWorks. The DromLite mates perfectly, so
            > I can filter my water quicker and more efficiently.
            EDIT: I don't like the comparison and mention of specific other products. Instead, try
            something like, "I made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because it mates
            perfectly with my MSR water filter, unlike my previous water bladder from another
            company, so I can now filter water more efficiently."

            > I use this water for cooking
            > and mixing my drinks such as Gatorade or tea.
            Comment/Edit: To be really clear, you could state that you do that in a cup or other
            container (if you're not pouring the Gatorade mix in the water bag).
          • S
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
              D'oh. Forgot to change the subject.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                Hey Sheila,

                I think we've got it (or almost).

                For your editing pleasure, I have uploaded to the test folder:

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
                20MSR%202%20Liter%20Dromlite%20Bag%20and%20Hydration%20Kit/
                Or the Tiny version...
                http://tinyurl.com/6o3n75

                And of course the text version as follows... Thanks Sheila!

                MSR 2 LITER DROMLITE BAG AND HYDRATION KIT
                BY GREG MCDONALD
                OR
                June 03, 2008

                TESTER INFORMATION

                NAME: Greg McDonald
                EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
                AGE: 21
                LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
                GENDER: M
                HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
                WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

                I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
                in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
                generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
                hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
                Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
                comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and 30
                lb (11 and 14 kg).

                Product Information

                Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
                Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
                Model: MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag
                MSRP: US$24.95
                Year of Manufacture: 2006
                Listed Volume: 2 L
                Listed Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g)
                Measured Weight: 3.2 oz (91 g)
                Measured Dimensions (Empty): 16.5 x 8.25 in (40 x 20 cm)
                Materials: Polyurethane coated 200D nylon
                Color: Purple
                Note: The current version of the DromLite available from MSR now
                uses 200D Cordura as the body material and the color is now "MSR
                red".

                2 Liter DromLite Description and Features

                The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
                the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
                hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
                The DromLite slims down to a 200D shell (the Dromedary bags are
                either 500D or 1,000D) and drops the 5 grommets and perimeter
                webbing.

                The bladder itself is six sided and is a fabulous purple color and I
                don't want to hear anything about it - any man who won't carry a
                purple hydration system isn't much of a man. The mouth of the
                DromLite sits atop the bladder close to one end. The opposite end
                sports a grommet attached in the seam. The DromLite includes the
                black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
                spigot. The seams on the DromLite are plenty thick for a bladder of
                this size and are very well seamed and sealed.

                MSR Hydration Kit Description and Features

                Model: MSR Hydration Kit
                MSRP: US$ 19.95
                Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g) Verified Accurate
                Length: 42 in (107 cm) Verified Accurate
                Tube Material: Polyurethane-lined PVC

                The MSR Hydration Kit is an available accessory from MSR that turns
                the DromLite from a simple water bag with a spigot on the cap into a
                fully functional hydration system for integration into my pack.
                The "3 in 1" spigot valve on the top of the cap unscrews and the end
                of the tubing with the swivel elbow attachment screws onto the cap
                in its place. The hydration tube has an alligator clip that can clip
                to my pack straps to keep the tube from dangling all over the place.
                The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
                to be leakproof and it also sports a twist shutoff valve to stop
                flow.

                <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "MSR
                Dromlite with Hydration Kit attached.">>

                Field Use and Observations

                For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
                hydration system that I use. It is my primary water hauler both on
                day hikes and overnight to multi night treks. It might be important
                to note that the vast majority of my experiences with the DromLite
                system have been in Florida, which means temperatures above freezing
                and at low altitudes.

                I first made the switch to the MSR DromLite primarily because of the
                mouth/opening. The DromLite mates perfectly with my MSR water
                filter, unlike the previous hydration systems I've used, so I am
                able to filter water much more quickly and efficiently.

                The vast majority of my camps are "wet" camps where I have the
                opportunity to pump more water whenever I need it. I would estimate
                I fill the bag up twice in the field for every overnight trip I
                take - once for use in camp then a refill for the next day's hike.
                When I first get to my camp I pump the DromLite full and replace the
                drinking tube with the spigot cap and hang it from a branch with a
                carabiner attached through the grommet. I use this water for cooking
                and mixing drinks such as tea or Gatorade in either my cup or a
                Nalgene bottle. The spigot cap doesn't flow water particularly

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Hi Greg,

                  The OR is looking good. I do have some more edits for you to make this a great OR. You're
                  up against Ray here, after all! ;-)

                  At least two edits are repeats, so make sure you carefully make each of the edits below.
                  Once you make the edits, please delete your file from the test folder and upload the new
                  file here:

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20L
                  iter%20DromLite%20Bag/

                  http://tinyurl.com/4tc4qp

                  Sheila

                  > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
                  EDIT: This needs to be clickable.

                  > 2 Liter DromLite Description and Features
                  Edit: 2 Liter DromLite Bag Description and Features

                  > The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (hereafter referred to as
                  > the "DromLite" or "bladder" for the purpose of this review) is a
                  > hydration bladder that is 30% lighter than the MSR Dromedary bags.
                  EDIT: Better, but you still need to focus on what you're actually reviewing. Instead, I'd like
                  to see this section begin something like, "The MSR 2 Liter DromLite Bag (blah blah) is a
                  hydration bladder made of something and designed for something purpose. The
                  dimensions of the bladder when full are something something." After you describe the
                  DromLite, you can make the distinctions from the Dromedary.
                  Edit: You actually call the thing a number of other names, like hydration system and water
                  hauler. All the names make sense, so I think you should drop the bit about "hereafter
                  referred to as..."

                  > The DromLite includes the
                  > black "3-in-1" (fill, drink, and pour) cap with a small flip-closure
                  > spigot.
                  EDIT: I still don't know what this cap is. I'm guessing it has three different pieces that you
                  carry with you in your pack. One is a spigot, one is a like a sports-bottle top, and the
                  other is just a solid screw-on cover. If I'm totally wrong, well then, I don't get it! You need
                  to describe it.

                  > The "3 in 1" spigot valve
                  EDIT: 3-in-1
                  Edit: I think spigot valve is redundant

                  > The bite valve is the MSR Bite Valve which the manufacturer claims
                  > to be leakproof
                  Edit: This would read better as, "The MSR Bite Valve is claimed to be leakproof."

                  > For the last year and a half the DromLite has become the only
                  > hydration system that I use.
                  Edit: Please give an estimate of how many days you have used this bladder.
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                    20Systems/Bladders/MSR%202%20Liter%20DromLite%20Bag/Owner%20Review%
                    20by%20Greg%20McDonald/

                    Revisions made, and uploaded.

                    It became pretty clear that I was causing confusion with the spout and
                    the spigot (which is what I have always called it) and the accessory
                    thing that MSR sells that the manufacturer actually calls a spigot (I
                    read Ray's OR and saw he has it there). So, I said screw it and just
                    put in pictures to make it clear.

                    I think it came out well, thanks Sheila I appreciate everything.

                    Greg M