OR-MSR Heat Exchanger

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2008
      MSR Heat Exchanger
      Owner Review May 31, 2008

      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 165 lbs (74.8 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Anderson, SC, USA
      Date: May 31, 2008

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places up and
      down the east coast of the US since I was a child. The backpacking bug was always there,
      whispering in my ear until finally in my early twenties it bit me! I have since done several
      backpacking trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I typically backpack
      with around 30 lbs (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and
      clothes), food and water and usually go for a 2 to 3 days at a time. My current tent and
      bag comprise almost half of the pack weight.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 6 oz (170.0 g)
      Weight as Delivered: N/T
      Product description (from MSR): MSR's Heat Exchanger increases the efficiency of your
      stoves up to 25%. The unique waffled design channels the heat from the stove up the sides
      of the pot to increase the heated surface area of the pot. The Heat Exchanger is
      compatible with all MSR 1.5- and 2-liter pots (with the exception of the Titan 1.5-liter).
      MSRP: US$39.95

      Field information:

      I used the MSR heat exchanger on numerous backpacking and car camping trips starting
      with its purchase in 2003. At least 8 backpacking trips were taken to the Blackwater State
      Forest in Holt, Florida, USA. Temperatures ranged from 65 F (18 C) to 90 F (32 C) plus
      humidity (it's Florida after all). It was also used for a weeklong car camping trip starting in
      Friday Harbor, Washington, USA, and then through Olympic National Park (Washington
      State, USA) in June 2003 where temperatures experienced ranged from 50 F (10 C) to 75 F
      (24 C). Wind conditions ranged from calm to breezy (<10 mph or 16 kpm). I even used it
      post Hurricane Ivan (September 2004) to prepare meals and increase fuel efficiency since I
      had no power for several weeks and was unable to get camp fuel shipped into the area.
      Design and Construction:
      The MSR heat exchanger is made from gold tinted, lightweight metal (possibly aluminum)
      that has been given a corrugated shaping. The circular shape is held true by a metal
      bracing that encircles it. There are eyes every 6 in (15.2 cm) that serve to hold the brace
      onto the corrugated metal. On one side of the frame, there is a latch that can attach to one
      of two eyes on the opposing end of the heat exchanger depending on what size pot is
      being used. The thumb wheel then secures the heat exchanger to the pot being used. The
      manufacturer claims the product will fit all MSR 1.5 l and 2 l pots (up to 7 in or 17.8 cm
      diameter) with the exception of the 1.5 l Titan pot. All together, the entire unit is a mere 6
      oz (170 g).

      Summary

      The MSR heat exchanger has been a great addition to my backpacking kitchen. With its
      corrugated design, the heat exchanger is claimed to increase heating efficiency by 25%.
      While I didn't conduct a quantitative assessment on its performance during my field
      excursions, I did seem to note a decrease in heating times when the heat exchanger was
      used. I also noted a more even heating in my cooking pots when it was used. All together,
      this meant less fuel used during my trips, which equated to less fuel being hiked in.

      The design and construction of the heat exchanger are both functional and lightweight.
      Securing the heat exchanger to the pot is as simple as sliding your pot into the heat
      exchanger and fastening the latch. The latch and thumb wheel assembly are easy to
      operate and secured to my pots very well. I did find it tricky to pull my pots off the stove
      with the heat exchanger in place. However, having my meal heated up quicker and more
      evenly has been well worth the trickiness. The heat exchanger can be nested within the
      MSR cookpots, however it doesn't pack up efficiently and takes up precious space that
      could be otherwise used for other cooking gear. The other drawback is that the design
      can make it tricky to clean in the field when food gets spilled on it. Overall, however, this
      device is a great addition to the camp kitchen!

      Pros:
      * Lightweight
      * Sturdy
      * Stows into MSR cookpots
      * Heats quicker and more even than pots alone

      Cons:
      * Can be tricky to pull pots off the stove with the pot grabber
      * Takes up a bit of space as the brace prevents it from folding up more
      * Can be difficult to clean in the field
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • S
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
          Hi Suzi,

          Thanks for your OR. When you post these edits or submit future ORs, please also include a
          link to the HTML file in the test folder.

          Below are your initial edits using BGT's conventional EDIT (must edit to comply with BGT
          standards), Edit (you should probably do these) and Comments (just that).

          Please repost your OR with both the text of the OR and a link to the HTML file in the test
          folder.

          Sheila
          BGT OR Editor

          >Owner Review May 31, 2008
          EDIT: This will need to be corrected when you submit the OR to the BGT site.

          >Weight: 165 lbs (74.8 kg)
          Edit: We prefer lb to lbs.

          >City, State, Country: Anderson, SC, USA
          EDIT: Spell out South Carolina

          >Date: May 31, 2008
          EDIT: Cut this, you already have it at the top.

          >Backpacking Background:
          Edit: In this section, change lbs to lb.
          Edit: Also, you're at 104 words. If any seem unnecessary, you could cut them out. You're
          close to 100 though, so it's not a big deal.

          >Weight as Delivered: N/T
          EDIT: I don't know what "N/T" stands for, but it doesn't matter since you do need to weigh
          this yourself.
          EDIT: Please give some measurements as well (height, diameter – does the diameter
          adjust?)

          >Product description (from MSR):
          EDIT: Cut this section. You need to describe the product in your own words.

          >MSRP: US$39.95
          EDIT: I couldn't find this product on the MSR website. If the MSRP really is $39.95, then
          leave it in. If this is a retail price, cut it.

          I used the MSR heat exchanger
          EDIT: Heat Exchanger

          >on numerous backpacking and car camping trips starting with its purchase in 2003.
          EDIT: Please say approximately how many trips and how many days it has been used.

          >(<10 mph or 16 kpm).
          EDIT: 16 km/h.

          >I even used it post Hurricane Ivan (September 2004) to prepare meals and increase fuel
          efficiency
          EDIT: That's cool information to add about using it at home after the hurricane, but I don't
          know what you mean by increasing fuel efficiency. Compared to using something else? It's
          confusing.

          >Design and Construction:
          EDIT: Ah-ha. I think this is your product description. Stick this description stuff up in the
          section above. You can use a few quoted words from MSR and/or double-check what they
          say to make sure you touched on the key points, but you can't use their whole description.
          EDIT: You'll need to start with a first sentence that says what a heat exchanger is. (Is this
          a common word – are products like this all called "heat exchangers?" I'm asking because
          I've never heard of it.)

          >On one side of the frame, there is a latch that can attach to one of two eyes on the
          opposing end of the heat exchanger depending on what size pot is being used.
          Comment: So is it only adjustable to two positions?

          >All together, the entire unit is a mere 6 oz (170 g).
          EDIT: Use the weight you measured.

          >The MSR heat exchanger
          EDIT: Heat Exchanger

          >Securing the heat exchanger to the pot is as simple as sliding your pot
          EDIT: But I don't have one. You mean YOUR pot.

          >into the heat exchanger
          EDIT: Heat Exchanger

          >The latch and thumb wheel assembly are easy to operate and secured to my pots very
          well.
          EDIT: secured the Heat Exchanger to my pots very well.

          >I did find it tricky to pull my pots off the stove with the heat exchanger in place.
          EDIT: Why?

          >The heat exchanger can be nested
          EDIT: Heat Exchanger

          >MSR cookpots
          Edit: cook pots

          >however it doesn't pack up efficiently and takes up precious space
          EDIT: Why?

          >The other drawback is that the design can make it tricky to clean in the field when food
          gets spilled on it.
          Edit: How have you remedied this? Or do you wait until you get home?

          >Cons:
          * Can be tricky to pull pots off the stove with the pot grabber
          * Takes up a bit of space as the brace prevents it from folding up more
          EDIT: You need to mention these specifics in the body of the report as well.