REPOST: Coghlans Candle Lantern - Mark McLauchlin

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2008
      Thanks Roger,

      Repost with the edits you have suggested,

      Cheers
      Mark

      URL; http://tinyurl.com/5ycxbb

      Owner Review Coghlans Candle Lantern

      17th May 2008

      * Reviewer Information
      Name: Mark McLauchlin
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.76 m (5’ 9”)
      Weight: 80 kg (176 lb)
      Email: mark at swanvalleyit.com.au
      City: Perth, Western Australia

      * Backpacking Background
      I have been hiking since 2006 with most of my hiking consisting of day walks
      averaging 16 - 22 km (10 - 14 mi) and short overnight trips where possible.

      I consider myself to be a light hiker with an average pack weight of 13 kg
      (29 lbs).

      My preference is for hot dinners, breakfasts of cereals with fresh fruit,
      and lunches usually of bars and sandwiches.

      * Product Information
      Manufacturer: Coghlans Ltd
      Year of manufacturer: 2008
      Listed Weight: 90 g (3 oz)
      Verified Weight: 90 g (3 oz)
      Listed Dimensions: Height 9.5 cm (3.74 in), Diameter 5.4 cm (2.13 in)
      Year of Purchase: 2008
      MSRP: not available

      * Product Description
      The Coghlans Candle Lantern is an Anodized Aluminium, single tea light
      holder with a well designed and functional body and comes in a brass
      colouring.

      The Lantern is able to be hung from above by the built-in handle that folds
      down over the main body for storage or it can be simply placed on a flat
      surface.

      Access to the tea light candle is via the lid which can be twisted clockwise
      to remove and counter clockwise to install, each only requiring
      approximately a 10 mm (0.39 in) of a turn.

      The body has numerous shaped holes in the base, lid and side supports, for
      airflow.

      A glass cylindrical windshield protects the flame from the elements and
      provides a clear path for effective light radiation.

      The internal base is well formed and suited to the small tea light candles
      that can be purchased at any number of retail stores and ensures the tea
      light does not move around the lantern when being transported. When
      purchased new the Lantern comes with one tea light.

      Key to the design of the Lantern is the burning efficiency it provides to a
      standard tea light candle.

      * Test Locations
      Western Australia is known to bushwalkers for the Bibbulmun Track which runs
      from Perth to Albany (nearly 1000 km or 621 miles long).
      The many tracks that lead through this area also make up most of my walking.

      The diversity of the track sections can range from well marked trails to
      overgrown and sometimes more challenging tracks to navigate. Old
      forest tracks and Park Ranger (Conservation And Land Management) gravel
      roads make up the majority of the access points to the track.

      Elevation is from sea level to 585 m (1,920 ft).

      The Candle Lantern has been used mainly around the Bibbulmun track as this
      is an area great for hiking. Walks can be from a few hours to
      6 weeks to complete end-to-end. All of my walking has been on this track and
      its surrounding areas.

      I have completed several sections of the track at the northern most end and
      spend several days out walking. The layout of the tracks
      means that I have been able to walk between huts which are generally one
      full days walk apart, 16 – 22 km (9.94 – 13.66 mi).

      This month I completed four days and nights hiking covering some 70 kms or
      43.48 miles and utilised the lantern for the duration.

      Although this was the longest continual hike with the lantern it was not the
      only trip this has accompanied me on. It has also been used on several over
      night hikes along the Bibbulmun track, namely Helena hut in March of this
      year which is approximately 22 kms (13.66 miles) round trip from the car
      park. In April the lantern was taken to Hewetts Hill, also along the
      Bibbulmun track, for an overnight hike.

      * Test Conditions
      As I have been testing this item of over 18 months an exact temperature,
      wind and rainfall pattern is difficult to monitor myself. The details in the
      table below are courtesy of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. This
      lantern has been used in all the months below.

      * Review
      The size and simplicity of the Candle Lantern is amazing when you consider
      the extra performance it provides to a standard tea-light candle.

      Through my controlled testing and field trips I have seen the candle burn
      for up to 5 hours both exposed to the wind and elements and semi shielded by
      the sleeping huts that are on the Bibbulmun track. (Described in the Test
      Locations)
      The tea lights which I have purchased weigh approximately 14 g or (0.49 oz).
      Shortest burn period I have tested is approximately 4 hours and 15 minutes,
      the longest so far has been approximately 5 hours as stated above.

      I have noticed that when burning tea-lights out side of the lantern they
      rarely burn to the end with no wax remaining. However when the lantern is
      used the entire tea-light contents are used and all that remains is the
      casing and the small round disk that supports the wick.

      Stability of the Lantern has not presented any issues so far. The tea-light
      sits low in the body and seems to provide adequate weight to prevent it from
      toppling over. I have also used the handle for hanging and found this to be
      another great feature.

      I have been very surprised to see that the top of the lantern only
      experiences mild to warm temperatures after several hours of operation. The
      glass however does warm up past the point where you can touch it, and the
      handle seems to remain unaffected at all and easily picked up.

      Having a glass windshield was a concern of mine initially and I felt that
      this would not last too long. However for the cheap cost I thought I would
      give it a chance. The first accident that I had with the lantern was as I
      walked out of the shop door, my son was carrying it and dropped it on the
      floor. Upon opening the box there was no damage. I suspect the shredded
      paper used in the lantern for packaging prevented this. The glass has not
      suffered any major breakages over my period of ownership. There a few very
      minor chips around the top and bottom edges of the glass caused by normal
      use.

      The Lantern stores quite nicely in my cup whilst in my pack and I simply
      place an elastic band over the cup to hold it in place. This as proven to be
      an effective way to store it and the cup ensures that it cannot be crushed.

      Lighting the tea-light candles is a straight forward process. The top of the
      Lantern is removed by turning clockwise, the candle is then dropped into the
      lantern so that it sits nicely in the base. I then slide up the glass
      windshield and light from the side with matches or a lighter. Then slide the
      windshield back down again then screw the lid back on in a counter clockwise
      direction.

      To extinguish the candle I simply blow down hard on one of the top
      ventilation holes.

      * Conclusion
      This is a great addition to my lighting setup and I will continue to carry
      it with me.

      The efficiency it provides to the burning of tea light candles is
      exceptional.

      * Pro
      Light, efficient, provides great output.

      * Cons
      Glass windshield.