Owner Review - Ex-Offico Give-N-Go Briefs - Roger Caffin

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2008
      Owner Review - Ex-Offico Give-N-Go Briefs - Roger Caffin

      All Hail to the Editors
      Herewith a new OR for entertainment. The HTML is at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/ExOfficio%20Briefs%20-%20Roger%20Caffin/

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      ------------------
      <ExOfficio1.jpg> (This contains the heading and author)
      8-May-2008

      Biographical Details

      Reviewer: Roger Caffin

      Age: 62

      Gender: M

      Weight: 60 kg (133 lb)

      Height: 166 cm (65")

      Clothing Size: Medium

      Email address: r dot [surname] at acm dot org

      Home: Sydney, Australia

      Backpacking Background

      I started bushwalking (the Australian term) at 14, then took up rock
      climbing at University with the girl who became my wife and is my
      walking partner. Later on we took up ski touring and canyoning. Winter
      and summer, we prefer long hard trips by ourselves: about a week in
      Australia, up to three months in Europe/UK. We prefer fast and light
      in unfrequented trackless country. We would be out for at least three
      months a year. Over the last four years we have reduced our pack
      weights from 18 - 20 kg (40 - 45 lb) each to about 12 kg (26 lb),
      including food, for week-long trips. I designed and made much of our
      lightweight gear myself.

      I am also the maintainer of the Australian aus.bushwalking FAQ web
      site <http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/>www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: <http://www.exofficio.com/>ExOfficio

      Product Name: Give-N-Go Brief (top pic) and SportBrief (this pic)
      Year of manufacture: 2007
      Country of manufacture: unknown
      Materials: Body Fabric: 94% Nylon/6% Spandex
      Waist band: elastic webbing 32 mm (1.25") wide
      Measured weight: Medium: ~60 g (2.1 oz)
      Style: See Photo

      Colours available Black, Charcoal, White, (Green, Blue)
      MSRP: US$18

      <ExOfficio2.jpg>
      ExOfficio Sport Brief, but I am not the model.
      (Picture courtesy ExOfficio>

      Product Details

      I have slightly paraphrased the claims listed on the company web site:

      Travel-friendly Give-N-Go Stretch™ — 94% Nylon/6% Spandex knitted fabric
      Air-dries within hours
      Extremely breathable, moisture-wicking, odor resistant finish
      Terry elastic back and 'functional' fly
      Sizes: S - XXL
      Semantic confusion: in Australia we call them 'briefs' with an 's',
      but ExOfficio calls them 'brief' without the 's'. I see the logic of
      omitting the 's', but I find it hard to do so.

      Product description

      Just how should I describe these? The safest thing might be if I just
      say that they are lightweight briefs for a male. The pictures do the rest.

      In fact, the Give-N-Go Brief comes in two styles and I have included
      both here because there is little difference between them. The 'Brief'
      has a slightly higher side of about 100 mm (4") while the side on the
      Sport Brief is 75 mm (3") high. As far as I can see that is the only
      real difference, except that while both styles are available in Black,
      Charcoal and White, only the Brief is available in Green and Blue.

      They come in a little soft plastic pack with a hanger and a
      2-press-stud closure. ExOfficio suggest reusing the plastic bag to
      hold something like a passport - it might be suitable at that. The
      heading on the included card says "17 countries. 6 weeks. And one pair
      of underwear" but does not give the product name. Down the bottom
      there is a sort of logo which says "Protected by the aegis microbe
      shield", but I could not find any more information about this. (The
      link on the ExOfficio website did not work.) There are some
      instructions about washing etc on the bottom of the card.

      Field Experiences

      Normally I wear Australian-brand briefs made of cotton knit; these
      ExOfficio ones are synthetic. I had resisted buying any purely
      synthetic underwear because of concern about the fabric being sweaty,
      and I had mentioned this concern (in the abstract) in the FAQ I
      maintain. However, the Australian representative of ExOfficio gave me
      a pair of each style to try out, hoping to persuade me that their
      models were not sweaty.

      Well, I have worn them now for several months, interleaved with
      wearing my Australian cotton ones. That includes several weeks in the
      mountains walking. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to find
      that they were not sweaty at all. In fact, the fabric is quite light
      and breathable, and possible a fraction less warm than the poly-cotton.

      <ExOfficio3.jpg>
      I initially favoured the slightly lower-cut Sport Brief style (second
      photo), but I eventually switched to favouring the larger Brief style
      (lead photo): it seemed just slightly looser all around. Yes, that is
      for the same nominal size of Medium. I think the higher side on the
      Brief compared to the Sport Brief gives the fabric slightly more room
      to stretch as required. I hasten to add that the difference is small -
      I noticed it because I was looking carefully for any difference.

      However, it is something else which has pleased me most about the
      design of these ExOfficio briefs: the waist band. My Australian-brand
      underwear has two different sorts of elastic. One version comes in a
      tube some 15 to 20 mm (0.6 - 0.8") high and made of the basic fabric,
      as shown in the left hand panel here. There are two Australian brand
      pairs on top of one of the ExOfficio Briefs. The other sort consists
      of a sewn-on band, as shown in the right hand panel. The latter is
      similar in style to the ExOfficio brand. The fabric tube version is
      fine but very slightly bulky when I have a pack on and the hip belt
      done up. Nothing particularly noticeable, mind you. But clearly
      visible in the right hand panel is the tendency the Australian elastic
      band versions have to roll up, and I find that quite annoying.
      Somewhat to my surprise, the elastic waist bands on these ExOfficio
      briefs do not show the slightest sign of rolling up. They stay very
      nicely flat - and comfortable.

      Maintenance

      <ExOfficio4.jpg>

      The washing instructions are as follows:
      'After washing them, simply wring them out, lay them flat on a dry
      towel, roll it up like a burrito and stomp on it. Then hang the
      underwear in a well-ventilated location. Unless you are in an area of
      high humidity or cold temperatures, they should be dry in about 2-4
      hours.' (Does one normally stomp on a burrito? I wouldn't know.)

      The implications of the short drying time are interesting, especially
      for use on very long trips. On our really long overseas walks my wife
      and I are walking for months on end, and we normally wash our
      underwear every couple of days. We dry it by hanging it on our packs,
      as shown here in the Pyrenees. In the past my cotton stuff usually
      took a full sunny day to dry. My experience so far (at home) is that
      these ExOfficio briefs do dry in a couple of hours, as promised. This
      is good, and might let me wash them more often.

      These briefs have been worn and washed and worn and washed, and show
      little or no sign of wear in the several months I have been trying
      them out. I am extrapolating here on very limited evidence, but I
      suspect the synthetic fabric may last longer than the cotton knit in
      the Australian-brand ones.

      Cost

      This is the only real sticking point. The MSRP for one ExOfficio brief
      is US$18. The price of a department store pack of three of the
      Australian-brand ones (made in China of course) is less than that.
      Mind you, if the ExOfficio ones last as long as I believe they will,
      the price will not be a major factor in my 'cost of living'.

      Summary

      Not bad. I might buy some more.

      Likes Dislikes
      Not sweaty Not cheap
      Flat waist band
      Fast drying
      Apparently tough
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2008
        Roger
        You have inspired me to write an OR on underwear. But dude, I am
        seriously going to model my own.
        In some ways, you have allowed my mind to go to bad places, I hope you all enjoy

        TV
      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2008
          Roger, Roger, Roger,

          For an OR you cannot use a manufacturer's photo (sigh). The editors will rap
          your knuckles.

          You must be the model. Don't be shy showing off your budgie smugglers <g>

          Ralph (who loves his budgie smugglers when hiking)

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2008
            > You have inspired me to write an OR on underwear. But dude, I am
            > seriously going to model my own.
            > In some ways, you have allowed my mind to go to bad places, I hope you all
            > enjoy
            It's called Leadership by Example ... :-)

            > For an OR you cannot use a manufacturer's photo (sigh). The editors will
            > rap
            > your knuckles.
            OK, so I just relabel them ...
            But I am not quite that hairy.

            Anyhow, I don't recollect that being the rule, and many of us do regularly
            use manufacturer pics in ORs. After all, why not use the best pics for the
            job?

            Actually, for any who might be concerned, these photos were provided by
            ExOfficio at my request for the purpose of this OR. Accordingly, they are
            being used with full permission of the company. No problems at all.

            Cheers
            Roger Caffin
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2008

              reviews before submission.

              Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
              backpackgeartest.org).

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Manager
            • S
              Message 6 of 6 , May 11, 2008
                Hi Roger,

                I have some comments and edits below. When you've made your edits, please upload the
                OR here: http://tinyurl.com/5onv3z.

                Shoot, I don't see one of my edits down below, I must've lost it. Please also fix the
                parentheses under the 2nd photo on the OR (the Sport Brief photo).

                Sheila

                > Backpacking Background
                >
                > We would be out for at least three
                > months a year.
                Comment: This has to be an Australian thing, but I'd say you "are out". "Would be" makes
                it sound to me like you don't actually make it out for some reason.

                > Product Name:
                EDIT: Sport Brief should be two words (according to their website).

                > Style: See Photo
                Comment/Edit: Why not give these a style type here? I'm not that familiar with tighty
                whities, but you could at least say "briefs" here as opposed to boxers.

                > Colours available Black, Charcoal, White, (Green, Blue)
                EDIT: Add a colon after "Colours available" to stay consistent.
                Comment/Edit: What's with the colors in parentheses? Oh, I saw this further down in the
                OR.

                > Travel-friendly Give-N-Go Stretch™ — 94% Nylon/6% Spandex knitted fabric
                Edit: Nylon and Spandex don't need to be capitalized.

                > Semantic confusion: in Australia we call them 'briefs' with an 's',
                > but ExOfficio calls them 'brief' without the 's'. I see the logic of
                > omitting the 's', but I find it hard to do so.
                Comment/Edit: They're called "briefs" in the US, too, so this is just a weird ExOfficio thing.
                I think you could drop this note.

                > Product description
                Edit: This title is smaller than the others. Also, other two-word ones have both words
                capitalized.

                > Just how should I describe these? The safest thing might be if I just
                > say that they are lightweight briefs for a male.
                Edit: While probably only one male wears any given pair, I believe they are manufactured
                for (plural) men.
                Comment: Yeah, good description. I didn't want to have to ask you questions about them!

                > In fact, the Give-N-Go Brief comes in two styles and I have included
                > both here because there is little difference between them. The 'Brief'
                > has a slightly higher side of about 100 mm (4") while the side on the
                > Sport Brief is 75 mm (3") high.
                Edit: How about some quotes on the Sport Brief to stay consistent in that sentence?

                > real difference, except that while both styles are available in Black,
                > Charcoal and White, only the Brief is available in Green and Blue.
                Edit: Colors needn't be capitalized.

                > ExOfficio suggest reusing the plastic bag to
                > hold something like a passport - it might be suitable at that.
                EDIT: suggests
                Edit: might be suitable for that.

                > heading on the included card says "17 countries. 6 weeks. And one pair
                > of underwear"
                Comment: GROSS!!!

                > Down the bottom
                Edit: on the bottom

                > instructions about washing etc on the bottom of the card.
                Edit: In this country it is necessary to use a comma before "etc" and to always use a period
                after "etc.". In this case, you'd also need a comma after that period. "instructions about
                washing, etc., on the bottom of the card." Ignore me if this is an Australian difference.

                > In fact, the fabric is quite light
                > and breathable, and possible a fraction less warm than the poly-cotton.
                EDIT: possibly

                > (Does one normally stomp on a burrito? I wouldn't know.)
                Comment: I don't, but I also don't put underwear in burritos!