Potential OR - CRKT M16-10K

  • Greg McDonald
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      Attached is the text version of the potential OR I have written for the CRKT M16-10K. My mentor, Ralph, and I think we've gotten it pretty much ironed out and I look forward to your edits! I have also uploaded an HTML version to the test folder, it can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/2rb2ba for your viewing pleasure!

      Thanks!

      Greg McDonald
      "Never Stop Exploring"

      ---------------------------------
      ----------

      CRKT M16-10K
      BY GREG MCDONALD
      OR
      March 30, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Greg McDonald
      EMAIL: gdm320 AT aol DOT com
      AGE: 21
      LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.84 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and range between one and three nights, although my favorite hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron, New Mexico. I use lightweight gear with a pack averaging between 25 and 30lbs (11.3 and 13.6 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT)
      Model Number: M16-10K
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.crkt.com">>
      MSRP: US $79.99
      Listed Weight: 2.0 oz (57 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.14 oz (61 g)
      Blade Length (Listed): 3.0 in (7.6 cm) Verified Accurate
      Length Closed (Listed): 4.0 in (10.2 cm) Verified Accurate
      Length Opened (Listed): 7.125 in (18.1 cm) Verified Accurate
      Blade Material: Stainless Steel AUS 8. Hardness HRC 58-59.
      Blade Edge: Partially serrated, tanto tip.
      Handle Material: Hard anodized 6061 aluminum. (Available in black or green)
      Manufactured In: Taiwan

      Warranty Information

      Full warranty information is available at the <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.crkt.com/warranty.html" LINK TEXT = "CRKT warranty information website">> and is included with every knife. CRKT states the "warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship" and "if one of our knives ever breaks or fails because of material or manufacturing defect, we'll replace the knife." Like all warranties, the CRKT warranty does not cover abuse or misuse of their tools. CRKT offers free replacement parts for missing parts including screws or clips.

      Description & Features

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "CRKT M16-10K Closed">>

      The M160-10K knife from CRKT is an everyday use, compact and lightweight knife. The knife itself comes in at 4 in (10.2 cm) when closed and weighs in at right around 2 oz (57 g). My particular model is a partially serrated blade with a tanto tip, with many other styles available. The overall blade cutting surface is 3.125 in (7.94 cm), broken down into a 1 in (2.54 cm) serrated edge, 1.5 in (3.81 cm) standard edge, and a .625 in (1.59 cm) standard edge tanto tip.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "CRKT M16-10K Open">>

      The blade locking system is CRKT's AuotLAWKS, a dual-locking system designed to eliminate accidental closure. My model also has a feature called the "Carson Flipper" which is essentially a dual purpose thumb stud. When open, the thumb stud serves as a blade guard for my fingers. When closed, it allows me to flip the knife open with one hand.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "AutoLAWK Switch and "Carson Flipper"">>

      First Impression

      My first impression of this knife came well before I ever owned it myself. I was out kayaking with a friend of mine when he became tangled in a fishing line that had been carelessly abandoned which became stuck on some mangrove trees. He was able to quickly grab his knife that was conveniently clipped to his life vest and with one hand flipped it open and cut himself free. The ability to in one lightning quick motion open and lock this blade in place had my attention from the beginning. I placed an order for my own the very next day, knowing full well this blade could save my life.

      Opinions and Observations

      When I was able to spend some time having a good look around this knife, I was able to take in all its available features. The contoured aluminum grip fits comfortably in my hand both opened and closed. When open, the flipper keeps my index finger securely from venturing onto the blade surface and the backside of the blade has ridges that give my thumb grip to apply pressure without changing the way I am holding the knife. All these factors come together to form a virtually no-slip grip that gives me complete control over the blade in any direction.

      One of the most important features on any knife is its locking system. Far too many people have scars on their finger that can attest to the importance of a high quality and easy to use blade-locking system, and the AutoLAWKS offered on this model meet that requirement in every way. The AutoLAWKS engages itself whenever the blade is fully extended. It is a dual-locking system that requires me both retract a small lever near on the top of the handle (near the base of the blade) and then operate the blade lock itself which is an in-handle locking bar that slides into place when the knife is extended. All these features combine to fix the blade securely in place when open, virtually eliminating the possibility of accidental closure when being used.

      The other fabulous feature about this knife is the one-handed operation. Going back to my first impression, it is perhaps the primary reason that I first purchased the knife. With little more than 5 minutes practice, I was able to open and close this knife with one hand both quickly and safely. The ability to operate the knife with one hand makes it a pleasure to use.

      The M16-10K was designed by CRKT as a more compact version of the original M16 where the common complaint was that the M16 was too large for everyday use. The M16-10K fits and clips easily and comfortably into a hip or rear pocket without being too bulky . The combination of design and the materials used has produced a very light and well balanced knife, coming in at a little over 2 ounces (57 g). I consider it to be a lot of knife for such a small frame.

      I have one minor complaint concerning the clip on the handle, however. The clip itself is perfect for clipping it inside my pocket or onto a strap or webbing on my pack, but it is a little small for clipping it onto my belt. My concern would be whether the clip would bend over time if it was clipped to a thicker belt. Of course, part of the CRKT warranty provides free replacement clips and screws which would cover this if that ever did happen. The 3 small screws that keep the clip secured to the handle also come a little loose over time, but a T4 screwdriver can tighten them right back up.

      My only complaint with the blade is that the multiple surfaces present a tedious challenge when sharpening. The M16-10K is a single sharp edge blade, so sharpening is done only to one side of the blade. While taking the time to separately sharpen all 3 sections of the blade is not necessarily difficult, I am a person without a great deal of patience and would prefer to run it through my hand sharpener for a few swipes and just be done with it. Of course this is impossible, and it's required a lot of practice with a hand-sharpening stone to get it right. That being said, it is nice to be able to sharpen the different portions of the blade to varying degrees. For example, I keep the tanto version of the blade razor sharp and sharpen it the most often - since it is of course the portion of the blade I use the most often and I use it for the more "precision" tasks.

      Field Use

      It would probably be easier to list the things that I don't use this knife for, since I use it for virtually anything. The partially serrated tanto style blade makes it extremely versatile and I have yet to find a typical job that it hasn't been able to handle. It's safe to say that it is completely capable of being a daily-use knife.

      I've used it at work for things like opening up the shipments we receive. I use the tanto tip to zip right through all the sealed tape and get down to business and the serrated edge helps me cut right through any cardboard to get the boxes broken down.

      The tanto tip again comes in handy for those car camping trips with the family where somebody springs for steaks and then forgets a knife to carve with. I've used it for things such as whittling out tinder for a fire, cutting shock cord, and preparing my food. Unfortunately, I've also had to use the knife to cut clean through a climbing rope - but it is worth mentioning that the serrated portion took care of that in no-time.

      Summary

      The CRKT (lovingly nicknamed by owners as "Cricket") M16-10K is a well built and versatile knife that has been able to handle all the tasks that I've thrown at it to date. The innovative design and features along with its lightweight and durable materials combine to offer a knife that has found a permanent place at my side no matter what the job may be.

      The Good

      1. Extremely quick and easy to open, close, and operate this knife with one hand.
      2. The AutoLAWKS system to secure the blade in place when opened.
      3. The comfort while using it.
      4. Excellent warranty and high quality materials and construction.

      The Bad, and the Tedious

      1. The knife is a little pricey.
      2. Sharpening with the blade with it's 3 seperate cutting edges takes some time and practice.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
          EDIT: CRKT M16-10K OR – Greg McDonald

          Hi Greg – Very nice first effort. You and Ralph are to be commended
          for working together to put together a well thought out report. It's
          also nice to see few spelling and grammar errors! Unfortunately, it
          was your bad luck to draw me (with a reputation for being one of
          the `pickier' editors) to edit your first review.

          I do have several edits and comments for you, with most being
          requests for additions or more information. We have a convention for
          edits here. You may see some variance between editors, but mainly it
          goes like this:

          EDIT: Must do, more or less exactly as requested.

          Edit: Something needs done, but you have some leeway in how to
          change it. If you feel strongly about an `edit' you have the option
          of trying to persuade me your way is better, but you'll need a good
          argument. :^)

          Comment: A suggestion for improvement, or merely a comment on
          something about the report that particularly struck me.

          So, with that said, here goes:

          **********************

          > CRKT M16-10K

          ### EDIT: Please add `Knife' to the title. Anytime the product
          can't be guessed from the title, you should add the type of product
          it is.

          > HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.84 m)

          ### Edit: I get 1.83 m when using the BGT conversion tool. Unless
          you have something more accurate that you are using, please change
          this.

          > I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
          in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
          range between one and three nights, although my favorite hike was a
          10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron, New
          Mexico. I use lightweight gear with a pack averaging between 25 and
          30lbs (11.3 and 13.6 kg).

          ### Comment: Nice bio. The only thing you might add (and you have
          about 35 words to spare before hitting the magic 100) is a little
          more about your style – maybe what type shelter you typically use.
          Or your cooking philosophy (boil-in-bag vs. camp gourmet; full
          kitchen vs. alky stove & single pot) or just a little something more
          about you.

          > Full warranty information is available at the <<HYPERLINK GOES
          HERE - "http://www.crkt.com/warranty.html" LINK TEXT = "CRKT warranty
          information website">> and is included with every knife.

          ### EDIT: Even though I'm sure it is very useful, you need to remove
          the hyper link for the warranty portion of the site. Policy is that
          only a link to the manufacturer's main website is allowed (and a link
          to your personal website if you have one). You can state if you want
          that full warranty information is available from the manufacturer's
          website.

          CRKT offers free replacement parts for missing parts including screws
          or clips.

          ### Edit: I think you need to clarify this a bit. As I read it,
          they replace only specifically listed parts, which are mainly screws,
          clips, or washers. Can you re-word this a bit, lest someone thinks
          that other parts such as a blade might be covered?

          > The M160-10K knife from CRKT is an everyday use, compact and
          lightweight knife. The knife itself comes in at 4 in (10.2 cm) when
          closed and weighs in at right around 2 oz (57 g).

          ### Comment: For anal gram weenies such as myself, I suggest
          writing "just over" 2 oz (60 g). I know the actual conversion for 2
          oz is 57 g, but since you are `rounding' the ounces, I suggest
          rounding the g's to the nearest similar amount.

          > The blade locking system is CRKT's AuotLAWKS, a dual-locking system
          designed to eliminate accidental closure.

          ### EDIT: spelling "AutoLAWKS"

          > When I was able to spend some time having a good look around this
          knife, I was able to take in all its available features.

          ### Comment: Since a knife is pretty small, I think maybe it would
          sound better to say …"having a good look *at* this knife… instead
          of "around this knife". Saying around makes me think of something
          larger like a tent or a vehicle.

          The contoured aluminum grip fits comfortably in my hand both opened
          and closed. When open, the flipper keeps my index finger securely
          from venturing onto the blade surface and the backside of the blade
          has ridges that give my thumb grip to apply pressure without changing
          the way I am holding the knife.

          ### Comment "securely from venturing" sounds a little awkward as
          written. Consider re-wording. Maybe something like "When open, the
          flipper keeps my index finger securely in place, and keeps it from
          accidentally venturing onto the blade surface or backside of the
          knife.

          > One of the most important features on any knife is its locking
          system. Far too many people have scars on their finger that can
          attest to the importance of a high quality and easy to use blade-
          locking system, and the AutoLAWKS offered on this model meet that
          requirement in every way.

          ### EDIT: In spite of the "s" at the end of "AutoLAWKS", the system
          is singular, so "meet" should be "meets" instead.

          The AutoLAWKS engages itself whenever the blade is fully extended. It
          is a dual-locking system that requires me both retract a small lever
          near on the top of the handle (near the base of the blade) and then
          operate the blade lock itself which is an in-handle locking bar that
          slides into place when the knife is extended.

          ### EDIT: A couple of small things to add or remove here – "It is a
          dual locking system that requires me *to* both retract a small lever
          *near the top* of the handle (or *lever on the top of the handle*).

          The M16-10K fits and clips easily and comfortably into a hip or rear
          pocket without being too bulky .

          ### EDIT: Remove extra space after "bulky" before the period.

          The combination of design and the materials used has produced a very
          light and well balanced knife, coming in at a little over 2 ounces
          (57 g).

          ### Edit: Again, under the rules of rounding you should round the
          conversion to 60 g I think.

          > Field Use

          ### Edit: You mention some things you've used it for at work, and
          some things car camping, but nothing about hiking or backpacking.
          Can you add a bit about some typical use on these type of trips?
          Also, although I am guessing you've probably used it in all sorts of
          weather, a little information about the type of conditions you've
          used it in would be helpful (i.e. rain, snow, cold blustery weather,
          heat of summer) and a few locations would be nice. Also a few
          sentences on durability (have you noticed any nicks or scratches or
          does the knife still look new?). How often do you need to tighten
          the screws on the clip you talked about coming loose? Inquiring
          minds want to know all the details. :^)

          > 2. Sharpening with the blade with it's 3 seperate cutting edges
          takes some time and practice.

          ### EDIT: …with *its* (no apostrophe) 3 *separate* (spelling)
          cutting edges…
          ******************

          Greg, once you've made the required/requested changes, please REPOST
          to this list, using the word "Repost" in your title. Also, please
          upload once more to the Owner Review Test folder so I can re-check
          the HTML version.

          Thanks, and looking forward to your revised version –

          Pam Wyant
        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
            P.S. Great use of photos Greg.

            Pam
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
              Hey Pam,

              Thanks for your work on my OR. I don't consider it an unlucky draw
              that I ended up with a picky editor... I ended up with a picky
              mentor in Ralph and that one is working out pretty well! If only I
              can teach him that there is no "u" in "color"! <Grin> I just
              wanted to offer a huge thanks to both of you for your hard work and
              constructive criticisms, it's only helping me. I really appreciate
              it.

              Anyway, because of all that hard pre-posting work I was glad to see
              there weren't too many edits there. I think I've gotten your
              corrections in and I worked to incorporate your suggestions, but I
              did add and change some things around in the process so let me know
              if I stumbled on any other grammer or spelling in there. I look
              forward to wrapping this one up and moving on from here!

              For your HTML pleasure, I present to you http://tinyurl.com/6lzfoc

              and of course the text version as follows. Thanks!

              CRKT M16-10K FOLDING KNIFE
              BY GREG MCDONALD
              OR
              March 30, 2008

              TESTER INFORMATION

              NAME: Greg McDonald
              EMAIL: gdm320 AT aol DOT com
              AGE: 21
              LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
              GENDER: M
              HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
              WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

              I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
              in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
              range between one and three nights, although my favorite hike was a
              10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron, New
              Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but comfortably equipped
              hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and 30lbs (11 and 14 kg).

              Product Information

              Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT)
              Model Number: M16-10K
              "http://www.crkt.com">>
              MSRP: US $79.99
              Listed Weight: 2.0 oz (57 g)
              Measured Weight: 2.14 oz (61 g)
              Blade Length (Listed): 3.0 in (7.6 cm) Verified Accurate
              Length Closed (Listed): 4.0 in (10.2 cm) Verified Accurate
              Length Opened (Listed): 7.125 in (18.1 cm) Verified Accurate
              Blade Material: Stainless Steel AUS 8. Hardness HRC 58-59.
              Blade Edge: Partially serrated, tanto tip.
              Handle Material: Hard anodized 6061 aluminum. (Available in black or
              green)
              Manufactured In: Taiwan

              Warranty Information

              Full warranty information is available at the Columbia River Knife &
              Tool website and is included with every knife. CRKT states
              the "warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship"
              and "if one of our knives ever breaks or fails because of material
              or manufacturing defect, we'll replace the knife." Like all
              warranties, the CRKT warranty does not cover abuse or misuse of
              their tools. CRKT offers free replacement parts for missing parts
              which, on my particular knife, include frame and clip screws, the
              pivot screws, washers, thumb stud, the clip, and the AutoLAWKS
              mechanism.

              Description & Features

              <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "CRKT M16-
              10K Closed">>

              The M160-10K knife from CRKT is an everyday use, compact and
              lightweight knife. The knife itself comes in at 4 in (10.2 cm) when
              closed and weighs in at right just over 2 oz (60 g). My particular
              model is a partially serrated blade with a tanto tip, with many
              other styles available. The overall blade cutting surface is 3.125
              in (7.94 cm), broken down into a 1 in (2.54 cm) serrated edge, 1.5
              in (3.81 cm) standard edge, and a .625 in (1.59 cm) standard edge
              tanto tip.

              <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "CRKT M16-
              10K Open">>

              The blade locking system is CRKT's AutoLAWKS, a dual-locking system
[...]

              When I was able to spend some time having a good look at this knife,
              I was able to take in all its available features. The contoured
              aluminum grip fits comfortably in my hand both opened and closed.
              When open, the flipper keeps my index finger securely in place, and
              keeps it from venturing onto the blade surface. The backside of the
              blade has ridges that give my thumb a firm grip, allowing me to
              apply pressure without changing the way I am holding the knife. All
              these factors come together to form a virtually no-slip grip that
              gives me complete control over the blade in any direction.

              One of the most important features on any knife is its locking
              system. Far too many people have scars on their finger that can
              attest to the importance of a high quality and easy to use blade-
              locking system, and the AutoLAWKS offered on this model meets that
              requirement in every way. The AutoLAWKS engages itself whenever the
              blade is fully extended. It is a dual-locking system that requires
              me to both retract a small lever near the top of the handle (near
[...]

              (60 g). I consider it to be a lot of knife for such a small frame.

[...]

              knife to carve with. On the trail, I've used it for things such as
              preparing my food, whittling out tinder for a fire, cutting shock
              cord for camp setup, cutting out moleskin patches for blisters, and
              even trimming fabric swatches for tent repairs. Unfortunately, I've
              also had to use the knife to cut clean through a climbing rope - but
              it is worth mentioning that the serrated portion took care of that
              in no-time.

              Conditions seem to have little effect on the performance of this
              knife. It has only seen trail-use in Florida so far, which means
              plenty of hot and rainy conditions - but in the more mild nights
              down into the 40's Fahrenheit (4-10 deg Celsius) there has been no
              noticable change in performance or ease of use.

              After everything I've put the blade through, I am very happy with
              the durability and condition of the knife. The blade has no
              noticable dings or nicks on the cutting surface and holds an edge
              very well. The black coating on the blade has scratched in a few
              places thanks to some of the heavier jobs, and the clip has had a
              minor bit of the paint come off the edges - but even cosmeticcally
              the knife is holding up quite well. As I mentioned previously, the 3
              screws that hold the clip to the frame work themselves a bit loose
              over time. As part of my pre-trek check I always tigthen them up.
              During my everyday usage of the knife I would say I snug up the clip
              screws about every other month. Also, I should add I have never had
              to tighten the frame screws or the pivot screw.

[...]

            • Ralph Ditton
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
                Greg and Pam,

                Get yourselves a quality dictionary that has "u's" in words.

                Something like a Macquarie Dictionary. <g>

                Ralph

                _____