EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

      Hi Kara

      Welcome to BGT. This is a good start. I have some small edits for you
      to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not be offended by the
      terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it
      easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
      OR here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
      Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. Please include the URL for the
      HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and all
      subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement that
      we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
      manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
      approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
      help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
      time and are easily confused ...

      Photos
      All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
      the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
      encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
      inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
      convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
      text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
      'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
      as a result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
      to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
      clear what you mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
      Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
      somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
      they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
      testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
      test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentots are here to help.
      If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
      (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
      your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
      Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
      rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
      have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
      These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
      try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
      problems with them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
      with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
      is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
      you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
      Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
      strippping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who
      know nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
      although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
      tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
      have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
      responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
      seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
      pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
      just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
      into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
      create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
      file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
      filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
      series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
      to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
      wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
      inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
      HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
      further information. It is highly recommended.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
      ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
      assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
      is usually due to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
      Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
      complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
      Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
      understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
      thing here is to COMMUNICATE! The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim Hatch. For Jim's
      address see msg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
      participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
      details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
      announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
      where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      -------------------------------
      Comment: personally, I am not thrilled by the use of a pale blue font.
      In my eyes the colour makes it harder to read. However, This is
      probably a 'style' issue, and you are free to leave it as it is if you
      wish.

      > Backpacking Background:
      EDIT: short, but you do not say here whether you do only day walks or
      over-nighters. This should be included here.

      > MSRP: $80 (REI list price no price listed on web-site)
      EDIT: delete this line. The REI price is NOT MSRP. Only use a price
      from the manufacturer web site, or put n/a if not given.

      > Product description
      EDIT: we do want to have a text-based description of the shoes in your
      own words, preferably supplemented with a photo. otherwise I have no
      real idea of what these shoes *look* like.

      > Since then I have worn them on everything from rocks to
      > pavement to gravel trails. And hiked over 170 miles in them to date.
      EDIT: make into one sentence.

      > costing only $59.99 +tax on sale at REI
      EDIT: delete - that price is not relevant to someone who was not at
      that sale.

      > often turned my ankles on loose rocks, once I started wearing the boots
      EDIT: break into two sentences.

      > the number of times I twist my ankles while has been reduced by
      EDIT: missing word (hiking?)

      > result of wearing seamed-socked while walking
      EDIT: 'seam-socked' ???

      > I would not recommend them to cold weather or cool
      Edit: for cold weather

      > These boots where great on my four-days hikes carrying
      EDIT: were great
      EDIT: four-day hikes

      > bout 40lbs, my friend had horrid heavy
      EDIT: two sentences

      > Not warm enough for winter hikes if your cold-footed like me
      EDIT: avoid the 'your' bit: our 'no projection' rule.