OWNER REIVEW - Princeton Tec SCOUT

  • levlle
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2 9:34 AM
      PRINCETON TEC SCOUT
      BY GLEN GIASSON
      OWNER REVIEW
      March 11, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Glen Giasson
      EMAIL: Glen.G@...
      AGE: 29
      LOCATION: Maine
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      Been backpacking for several years now. Mostly overnight and weekend
      trips to the mountains. Getting geared up for my first weeklong trip
      this spring, 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine on the AT. Started out with
      a very heavy load, which I have been working on whittling down
      to "Lightweight."

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec SCOUT
      Year of manufacture: Current
      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.princetontec.com
      Listed weight: 1.59 oz (45g)
      Weight as delivered: 1.59 oz (45g)
      Power: 10 Lumens
      Lamp: (2) Ultra bright LED's
      Batteries: (4) 2032 Lithium Coin Cell
      Burn time: 48 hrs (Low Setting)
      MSRP: $19.99

      FIELD USE

      I have used the Scout on many excursions ranging from overnights to 3
      and 4 days "weekenders." Mostly in Maine, along the Appalachian and
      intersecting trails, but a few trips to the White Mountains in New
      Hampshire as well. Most trips range in elevation from 500 - 5000 ft
      (152 -1524 m). Temperature's have been anywhere from 20 F - 90F (-
      6.66 C - 32.22 C).

      The Scout has been used in many types of weather. From sleet/freezing
      rain in the middle of winter to as hot and humid as any Maine August
      can be. Under most wet conditions however, I usually have rain gear
      on, covering the light with my hood. So it has not seen a direct
      downpour lasting for any length of time.

      I have been happy with the performance of the Scout. Most of my
      hiking is during daylight hours, so the majority of use comes during
      camp hours. Using the lamp while setting up or cooking.

      SUMMARY

      The Princeton Tec "Scout" is an entry-level headlamp containing 2
      ultra-bright LED's and offering 5 different lighting settings. Slow
      Flash, Fast Flash, Low, Medium & High settings are all controlled by
      a single pushbutton switch located on the top of the oval shaped
      lamp.

      Full forward tilt capabilities using a simple pin hinge allow you to
      adjust the light at any downward angle for better use. This headlamp
      waterproofing is rated at level 1 meaning it is resistant to
      splashing and quick dunking. The lamp quickly detaches from it's ¾"
      (1.91 cm) elastic headband allowing you to clip it to a ball cap or
      backpack with ease. When at rest or in your pack, the switch remains
      covered by a small "lip" so it won't accidentally turn on.

      The ultra-light design makes it ideal for those counting ounces and
      the price point make this a great option.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweigt design.
      "Lip" covering the On button to keep from accidentally turning on.
      Low Cost
      Durability
      Light detaches from headband
      Multiple lighting settings

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Can be difficult to change the batteries without a tool.
      Not very bright in Dusk situations

      SIGNATURE

      Glen

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer
      Version 1. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 11:42 PM

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • S
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 3:32 PM
          Hi Glen,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest. I have your Owner Review to edit, but before I do, I need to
          see an HTML version of your review. Please upload your file to the Tests/Owner Reviews
          folder on backpackgeartest.org. To do so, log in to backpackgeartest.org and click on "Owner
          Reviews" below the heading "tests" on the lower right side of the screen.

          When you have uploaded your HTML file, please send another post to this Yahoo group with
          the URL to your review in the test folder and the plain text of your review as well.

          Thanks.

          Sheila
          OR Editor
        • levlle
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14 6:55 AM
            Hello Sheila,

            I have uploaded my review to the site. The direct link is:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OWNER%
            20REIVEW%20-%20Princeton%20Tec%20SCOUT/

            Below you will also find the text version of the same post, as you
            requested. Please let me know what is next. Thank you, Glen

            PRINCETON TEC SCOUT
            BY GLEN GIASSON
            OR

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

            > Hi Glen,
            >
            > Welcome to BackpackGearTest. I have your Owner Review to edit, but
            before I do, I need to
            > see an HTML version of your review. Please upload your file to the
            Tests/Owner Reviews
            > folder on backpackgeartest.org. To do so, log in to
            backpackgeartest.org and click on "Owner
            > Reviews" below the heading "tests" on the lower right side of the
            screen.

            > When you have uploaded your HTML file, please send another post to
            this Yahoo group with
            > the URL to your review in the test folder and the plain text of
            your review as well.

            > Thanks.
            >
            > Sheila
            > OR Editor

          • S
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15 9:07 AM
              Hi Glen,

              Thank you for your Owner Review (OR) and for reposting with the HTML. Your initial edits
              are below and take the following format:

              EDIT: Must be fixed to comply with BackpackGearTest (BGT) standards.
              Edit: Should be changed.
              Comment: Something to think about.

              When you have made the changes, please upload your new HTML version of your OR to the
              Tests/Owner Reviews folder on Backpackgeartest.org (you must be logged in to do so).
              Please include the URL for the OR in the test folder along with the plain text of the OR in a
              post to this Yahoo group. Your subject heading should read "REPOST OR – Product Name –
              Your Name".

              If you haven't already, you will need to read through our documentation pages detailing
              the BGT requirements. They can be found here:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php.

              All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on the inclusion of
              photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly encourage you to do so. Your second
              Owner Review will require a photo.

              If you need help, we have an excellent mentor program. It was established to help all
              newcomers through the somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers. If you'd
              like a mentor, please contact the mentor coordinator, Jenn E., at mentor AT
              backpackgeartest.org. Please include "Mentor Request" in your subject line.

              Before you can become a tester with BGT, you must sign the Tester Agreement, which can
              be found here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/files/1%20BGT-
              Tester%20Agreement%20Docs/

              The signed agreement should be forwarded to
              C Carnes
              18 E Earle Street
              Greenville, SC 29609
              USA

              On to your edits…

              Sheila
              OR Editor

              **PRINCETON TEC SCOUT

              EDIT: add "headlamp" after Scout

              **EMAIL: Glen.G@...

              EDIT: Spell our your email (Glen.G AT something DOT com).

              **LOCATION: Maine

              Edit: Give a city or region.

              **Been backpacking for several years now. Mostly overnight and weekend
              trips to the mountains. Getting geared up for my first weeklong trip
              this spring, 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine on the AT. Started out with
              a very heavy load, which I have been working on whittling down
              to "Lightweight."

              Edit: Use a heading for this paragraph, such as "Backpacking Background".
              EDIT: Use complete sentences.
              EDIT: While keeping this paragraph under 100 words, can you be more specific on how
              long you have been backpacking? Also, please give an estimate of your pack weights for
              your "very heavy load" and new "lightweight" load.

              **Manufacturer: Princeton Tec SCOUT

              EDIT: Princeton Tec

              **Year of manufacture: Current

              EDIT: Give the actual year.

              **Manufacturer's URL: http://www.princetontec.com

              EDIT: Make this a clickable link in your HTML.

              **Weight as delivered: 1.59 oz (45g)

              Comment: Were you able to weigh this yourself? It is required that we weigh gear to verify
              the manufacturer's listed weight. Some people use the scales available for use at most
              post offices.

              **Lamp: (2) Ultra bright LED's

              EDIT: no apostrophe

              **MSRP: $19.99

              EDIT: I couldn't find this on their website. Did it come from the packaging? If it's from the
              manufacturer's website or product packaging, perfect, leave it in. If not, this needs to be
              listed as N/A.

              EDIT: I would like to see your Product Description section pasted in here. You have a lot of
              this information already, but it's stuck in your Summary section. Keep your opinions and
              experiences in the Field Use section, but put the major description of the light in the
              Product Description up here.

              **I have used the Scout on many excursions ranging from overnights to 3
              and 4 days "weekenders."
              EDIT: Please also list how long you have been using the Scout (e.g. "many excursions over
              the past three years…") and approximately how many nights total you have used it.
              EDIT: day not days

              **Mostly in Maine, along the Appalachian and
              intersecting trails, but a few trips to the White Mountains in New
              Hampshire as well.

              EDIT: This is a sentence fragment. Please put it with the previous sentence.

              **Most trips range in elevation from 500 - 5000 ft
              (152 -1524 m). Temperature's have been anywhere from 20 F - 90F (-
              6.66 C - 32.22 C).

              Comment: Yay! Thanks for putting in the conversions…

              Edit: but it would be best if you use the word "to" instead of a dash so I don't get
              confused with the negative sign. So, write 500 to 5000 ft, etc. Also, the conversions don't
              have to be quite so exact. I'm sure the elevations and temperatures you list are estimates
              (which is perfectly fine), so the conversions should read (150 to 1500 m) and (-7 C to 32
              C). Also, be consistent about putting the units after each number or after the range of
              numbers (e.g. 500 ft to 1500 ft, or 500 to 1500 ft).

              **The Scout has been used in many types of weather. From sleet/freezing
              rain in the middle of winter to as hot and humid as any Maine August
              can be.

              EDIT: Sentence fragment. Put these sentences together.

              **Under most wet conditions however, I usually have rain gear
              on, covering the light with my hood. So it has not seen a direct
              downpour lasting for any length of time.

              Comment: Good information.

              **Most of my
              hiking is during daylight hours, so the majority of use comes during
              camp hours. Using the lamp while setting up or cooking.

              EDIT: Fix these sentence fragments.

              **The Princeton Tec "Scout" is an entry-level headlamp containing 2
              ultra-bright LED's and offering 5 different lighting settings. Slow
              Flash, Fast Flash, Low, Medium & High settings are all controlled by
              a single pushbutton switch located on the top of the oval shaped
              lamp.

              EDIT: No apostrophe on LEDs
              Comment/Edit: Do you have to keep pressing the button to get through all of those
              settings?
              EDIT: You need to also mention the elastic headband and the hat clip. Some headbands
              over the head as well, so you'll need to explain that it is just one piece that adjusts around
              your head. I don't know what the hat clip looks like, so you'll need to explain that.

              **Full forward tilt capabilities using a simple pin hinge allow you to
              adjust the light at any downward angle for better use.

              EDIT: Because this review needs to be about YOUR experience, we aren't allowed to have
              any projection at all. Basically, you need to avoid the word "you". In this case, this sentence
              could be fixed by instead saying, "…a simple pin hinge allows the user to adjust the
              light…" or "…a simple pin hinge allows the light to be adjusted…"

              **This headlamp
              waterproofing is rated at level 1 meaning it is resistant to
              splashing and quick dunking.

              EDIT: Whose rating system is this?

              **The lamp quickly detaches from it's _"
              (1.91 cm) elastic headband allowing you to clip it to a ball cap or
              backpack with ease.

              EDIT: its, not it's
              EDIT: There is a length missing here in inches.
              EDIT: Is that measurement the width of the band?
              EDIT: Change "you" to "the user" or something else that isn't the word "you".

              **When at rest or in your pack, the switch remains
              covered by a small "lip" so it won't accidentally turn on.

              EDIT: Get rid of "your".
              Comment: Was this ever a problem? If so, could you mention it in your Field Use section?

              EDIT: This is all great information above, but it (starting with "The Princeton Tec "Scout" is
              an entry…" to "the switch remains covered by a small lip…") needs to go under the
              heading "Product Description", not "Summary". You'll need to keep the straight-forward
              description separate from your opinions on the gear.

              **The ultra-light design makes it ideal for those counting ounces and
              the price point make this a great option.

              EDIT: This should be your own summary based on your use. Instead, I'd like to see
              something like, "The ultra-light design makes this an ideal light for my ultra-light
              backpacking style…" Obviously, you don't need to take my words, but do make it clear
              why this is great for you personally.

              **Lightweigt design.

              EDIT: Lightweight

              **Durability

              EDIT: You didn't mention the durability in your field use section. Please give a sentence or
              two up there about why you've found this to have good durability.

              **Light detaches from headband

              EDIT: Have you used this feature? Please give a sentence or two in the field use section
              about this.

              **Multiple lighting settings

              EDIT: Which light settings do you usually use? Please give a sentence or two in the field
              use section about this.

              THINGS I DON'T LIKE

              **Can be difficult to change the batteries without a tool.

              EDIT: You haven't mentioned this in the field use section. Please say approximately how
              many hours you used the Scout before having to change the batteries and give a
              description of how you changed the batteries (and the difficulty) in the field use section.

              **Not very bright in Dusk situations

              EDIT: You didn't mention this in the field use section. A description of which settings you
              use would be helpful.
            • levlle
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16 7:39 AM
                I am sorry but the links you provided for the tester agreement and
                BGT requirements are not working?

              • S
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 16 8:38 AM
                  I don't know whether there may have been a problem with the website, but yes, they are
                  working now: