Re: EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Kara

      My apologies that this has taken so long to be picked up. I was away in the
      mountains for a while ... I will get back to you here with the edit tomorrow
      I hope.

      In the meantime, my only comment is to ask whather you are able to include a
      picture in this OR. While a pic in your first OR is not mandatory, pics will
      be mandatory hereafter.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
    • rcaffin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
        EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

        Hi Kara

        Welcome to BGT. This is a good start. I have some small edits for you
        to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not be offended by the
        terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it
        easiest to list them.

        Reposting
        When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
        OR here on this channel.
        At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
        Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. Please include the URL for the
        HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and all
        subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement that
        we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
        manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
        approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
        help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
        time and are easily confused ...

        Photos
        All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
        the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
        encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
        inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
        convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
        text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
        'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

        Edit Conventions
        Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
        comments:
        EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
        Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
        Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
        as a result.
        However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
        criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
        to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
        clear what you mean.

        Mentors
        If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
        Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
        somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
        they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
        testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
        test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentots are here to help.
        If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
        (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
        your subject line.

        Rules and Regulations
        In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
        Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
        rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
        have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
        These pages are found at
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
        second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
        try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
        problems with them, let us know.

        HTML Creation and Problems
        In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
        with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
        is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
        you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
        Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
        strippping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who
        know nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
        although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
        tags. Both can be found through Google.

        In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
        problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
        have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
        responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
        seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
        pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
        just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
        into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
        create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
        file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
        filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
        Writer is a better option.

        BGT Report Writer
        This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
        series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
        to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
        wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
        inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
        HTML-literate it can be handy. See
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
        further information. It is highly recommended.

        Uploading to BGT
        When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
        ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
        assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
        BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
        upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
        is usually due to the use of MS Word.

        Tester Agreement
        Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
        Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
        complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
        Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
        understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
        thing here is to COMMUNICATE! The agreement can be found at:

        The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim Hatch. For Jim's
        address see msg
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

        If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
        Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
        participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
        details on this may be found at
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

        Applying for Tests
        You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
        announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
        where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

        Cheers
        Roger Caffin
        BGT OR Editor
        -------------------------------
        Comment: personally, I am not thrilled by the use of a pale blue font.
        In my eyes the colour makes it harder to read. However, This is
        probably a 'style' issue, and you are free to leave it as it is if you
        wish.

        > Backpacking Background:
        EDIT: short, but you do not say here whether you do only day walks or
        over-nighters. This should be included here.

        > MSRP: $80 (REI list price no price listed on web-site)
        EDIT: delete this line. The REI price is NOT MSRP. Only use a price
        from the manufacturer web site, or put n/a if not given.

        > Product description
        EDIT: we do want to have a text-based description of the shoes in your
        own words, preferably supplemented with a photo. otherwise I have no
        real idea of what these shoes *look* like.

        > Since then I have worn them on everything from rocks to
        > pavement to gravel trails. And hiked over 170 miles in them to date.
        EDIT: make into one sentence.

        > costing only $59.99 +tax on sale at REI
        EDIT: delete - that price is not relevant to someone who was not at
        that sale.

        > often turned my ankles on loose rocks, once I started wearing the boots
        EDIT: break into two sentences.

        > the number of times I twist my ankles while has been reduced by
        EDIT: missing word (hiking?)

        > result of wearing seamed-socked while walking
        EDIT: 'seam-socked' ???

        > I would not recommend them to cold weather or cool
        Edit: for cold weather

        > These boots where great on my four-days hikes carrying
        EDIT: were great
        EDIT: four-day hikes

        > bout 40lbs, my friend had horrid heavy
        EDIT: two sentences

        > Not warm enough for winter hikes if your cold-footed like me
        EDIT: avoid the 'your' bit: our 'no projection' rule.