CABELAS GUIDE SERIES 8 MAN TENT

  • Ashley Massarini
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      CABELAS GUIDE SERIES 8 MAN TENT
      BY ASHLEY MASSARINI
      OR
      March 28, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Ashley Massarini
      EMAIL: ashmass@...
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Naknek River, Alaska
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

      Name: Ashley Massarini
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.78 M)
      Weight: 185 lbs (84 kg)
      Email address: peninhandak@...
      City, State, Country: King Salmon, Alaska, USA
      Date: March 03, 2008
      Backpacking Background:
      Have been backpack hunting for over 20 years. Usually in mountainous terrain but also limited experience on the Alaskan Peninsula. Temperatures I have encountered range from -30 F (-34 C) to 80 F (27 C) and I have lived out of my pack for as long as 10 days at a stretch.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Cabelas
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: www.cabelas.com
      MSRP: $569.99
      Listed Weight: 31 lbs (14.06 Kg)
      Measured Weight: 30 lbs (13.6 kg)
      Other details: Aluminum poles, 6'8" center height, 120 sq. ft.

      FIELD USE

      This tent was selected for a 4 man hunting party. We hunted brown bear on the Alaskan peninsula near King Salmon on two occasions for a total of 6 nights spent in the tent. The greatest challenge when hunting this area is weather. This hunt provided a wide range of conditions, from driven sleet to freezing rain. We had winds to 40 mph+ and the sun did not shine one time. The temperature ranged from 20 F (-6.6 C) to 60 F (15.5 C). Through it all this tent held up well. The wind and rain had practically no effect on the tent.
      This tent was big and roomy enough for 4 guys and all their gear plus a small card table with chairs. At 20 degrees F (-6.6 C) it was a warm 65 F (18 C) inside with only a lantern for heat. We kept the ventilation windows slightly opened for the duration of the hunt and experienced no problems with moisture. The fly does an excellent job repelling rain. It was somewhat of a challenge to set up the tent due to it's size, bit it was easier than many other large tents I have set up. The geodesic design uses 6 poles to keep it simple, but they are necessarily very long. The stakes that came with the tent are crap and should be thrown out and replaced with sturdy aluminum stakes. This tent could be used for a large expedition 4 season tent.

      SUMMARY

      Considering to the bad weather and constant wetness we experienced on this hunt I think this tent was a good choice. We had room, lots of room. We had 4 guys who had to dry out their clothes every day and night, and we had the room and protection to do so. All of us commented many times on how well the tent was holding up and how comfortable we were in these rough conditions. We could easily have put in 4 cots and a card table without being too crowded, and will do so next year.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Room for a big group
      Center height
      Wind resistance
      Rain and snow resistance

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      31 lbs is a lot, but sometimes necessary
      You must use the ventilation to prevent moisture
      My tent did not come with a vestibule, however Cabelas has begun to design them into the fly.

      SIGNATURE

      A.V. Massarini

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

    • Ashley Massarini

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008

          reviews before submission.

          Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
          backpackgeartest.org).

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • S
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2008
            Hello Ashley,

            Thank you for your Owner Review. Unfortunately, your review cannot be accepted for
            editing. The reviews at BackpackGearTest.org need to be focused on backpacking and it
            seems this tent was not used for that purpose. In addition, the review was lacking a
            product description. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before
            their first OR is ready for the editing process. At this point you have two options:

            1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
            experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
            If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
            request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
            K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
            in the subject line.

            2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out
            in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below).
            In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently
            approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

            Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give
            it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We
            look forward to seeing your reviews in the near future.

            Sheila
            OR Editor
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2008
              G'day Ashley

              Just a small clarification. We do accept Owner Reviews on car camping gear
              and we are looking to get into more testing of this type of gear.

              The above notwithstanding, Sheila was quite correct in suggesting you work
              with a mentor on this one Ashley so that you get a better idea of what we
              are looking for. Your OR at this point is really not at stage an Editor can
              get involved. We try to balance the work load between the editors and the
              mentors as we are all voluntaries.

              I look forward to seeing your update review soon.

              All the best.

              Andrew

              --
              Senior Edit Moderator