LTR REPOST - Exped Synmat 7LT - Tim Tessier

  • Tim Tessier
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 3:20 PM
      I have incorporated Andrews suggestions and reposted my LTR.

      The new html is in the the test folder at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Exped%20Syn\
      mat%207%20LT%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Exped%20Sy\
      nmat%207%20LT%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/>

      The text version of the LTR ONLY follows:

      Long Term Report - March 31, 2008

      Through the early spring months I have continued to use the Exped
      Synmat. It has been on frozen ground in 20 F (-7 C) in the Shining Rock
      Wilderness Area on western North Carolina. It has been in a campground
      on a gravel tent pad and then in a backcountry campsite on a leafy
      forest floor in Cumberland Gap National Historic Park in Kentucky. It
      spent last weekend in an Appalachian Trail shelter in Mount Rogers
      National Recreation Area while a fierce rainstorm roared outside and the
      temperature dropped to 38 F (3 C). All in all, I have spent 5 more
      nights on the pad since my Field Report. In every circumstance, on
      every surface it performed admirably.

      I continue to be impressed overall with it's combination of comfort and
      light weight. Additionally, it seems to be impervious to rough wear as
      we, my son and I, sat on it to cook and eat dinner while it was on a
      rocky surface. It did not show the slightest mark when we were
      finished. I also used it on frozen ground, as stated above, on an
      uneven, root-filled campsite. The pad insulated extremely well as I did
      not feel any cold seeping up from below and when we moved the tent in
      the morning the ground was still frozen underneath my pad.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sitting in
      comfort on frosty ground">>

      The valves close securely and stay closed. Sometimes if I find that I
      have over-inflated the mat I will reach up and hold the base of the
      valve with one hand. I'll open it with the other for just a second or
      two. This will release enough air that the mat will become soft and
      more comfortable to my personal taste. I can always close it securely
      and once closed it stays closed.

      The Appalachian Trail shelter afforded me the opportunity to test the
      mat on a dry, hard, wooden floor. Again, the Exped came through as I
      slept comfortably on a solid wooden surface that offered absolutely no
      give. After sleeping through a comfortable night I carried it down out
      of the loft and, folded it in half, making a make-shift chair with it
      leaned against the wall of the shelter. I sat contentedly inside the
      shelter watching it pour rain outside while I sipped my coffee
      comfortably inside. Again, the mat performed perfectly.

      The durability of the mat seems to be more than adequate as well. I
      have rolled it up and re-packed it in my bag after every use. It still
      looks and feels just like it did the day I got it. There are a few
      marks on it where I have spilled one thing or another on it but there is
      no visible wear and tear on the mat at all. This, despite the fact that
      I pull it outside and sit on it next to the fire or in the morning or
      evening while fixing and eating a meal. It packs neatly in the bottom
      of my pack and the stuff sack is large enough to allow me to easily get
      the mat in and out, while containing it to a small enough size that it
      does not take up too much room in my pack.

      In all cases I have been utterly and completely unable to find anything
      to quibble about with this outstanding product.

      Final Summary

      The Exped Synmat 7 is an outstanding product. The comfort/weight ratio
      is beyond compare. It rolls up small and fits easily in my pack. It
      weighs less than other competitive products. The thick mat and
      insulated design makes it ideal for all but the very coldest weather
      camping on snow or below 0 F (-18 C) temperatures.

      I guess the final proof of my impression of this product can be summed
      up by this fact: I purchased a second one to give to my son, and hiking
      buddy, for his 17th birthday next month!

      I again want to thank Exped and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity
      to use this outstanding product.

      This concludes my review of this product.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

      Thanks for the suggestions Andrew!

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 5:48 PM
        Thanks Tim. I will hand this off to your Test Monitor if I may.

        Regards
        Andrew

        --
        Senior Edit Moderator