OR - REI Spirit III GTX Hiking Boots - Brett Haydin

  • Brett
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2008
      For your viewing pleasures (and to satisfy my eligibility
      requirements) I am submitting my OR for the REI Spirit III Hiking
      Boots. HTML can be viewed at: http://tinyurl.com/2xkfwa

      REI SPIRIT III GTX HIKING BOOT
      BY BRETT HAYDIN
      OR
      March 14, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brett Haydin
      EMAIL: bhaydinAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Denver, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the
      Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp
      leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous
      terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as
      well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically
      carry heavier loads in excess of 45 lb (20 kg). I prefer to be
      prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "REI Spirit III GTX side view and
      soles" IMAGE CAPTION = "REI Spirit III GTX side view and
      soles">>Manufacturer: REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com"
      LINK TEXT = "www.rei.com">>
      MSRP: US $199
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 10 oz (1.64 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 13 oz oz (1.73 kg)
      Size purchased: 10.5 US Mens
      Sizes available: 8 - 13 US including half sizes

      Other details:

      The REI Spirit III GTX hiking boot is a one-piece, full height, full-
      grain leather waterproof boot. They stand 7.125 in (18 cm) high at
      the highest point,, not incliding the tongue. The waterproofing is
      provided by a GORE-TEX layer, referred to as a "bootie" on the
      website. Cambrelle is the brand name of the inner lining, which
      helps "wick away moisture." Vibram is the brand name of the soles.
      The boots also feature a rubber toe cap. While REI is listed as the
      manufacturer, I was told by the salesperson that the boots are
      constructed, under contract, by Raichle. There is a Raichle logo on
      the insole, which supports this claim.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Inside View" IMAGE CAPTION = "Inside
      View">>The full height boot offers better ankle support than low or
      mid height boots. The round nylon laces that came with the boots are
      threaded through a series of metal loops, four on each side, before 3
      sets of speed loops.

      There is soft padding on the interior of the boot to provide comfort
      for the high ankle, as well as near the top of the tongue. On the
      rear of the boot, the leather material is used about three-quarters
      of the way up the boot, with the remainder being made of fabric.

      According to the manufacturer's website, the "polyurethane midsoles
      are designed with more rocker for a smooth stride; full-length nylon
      shanks add stability and shock absorption." The soles of the boots
      are stiff, but there is enough cushion and support inside to make it
      a comfortable fit.

      The discrepancy of the listed weight and measured weight is easily
      resolved. REI uses an average weight for a size 9 US (8.5 UK) boot.
      The size I purchased was a little larger than the size REI uses.

      FIELD USE

      I have used the REI Spirit III GTX boots in a wide variety of
      conditions for 10 months now, with over 30 days of use in the field.
      The conditions have ranged from summit hikes of over 13 mi (21 km)
      with over 5,100 ft (1550 m) elevation gain on rocky, mountainous
      terrain, to winter hikes in snowy conditions. I estimate that I have
      traveled over 150 mi (242 km) with these boots. I purchased these
      boots in the spring of 2007 because I needed a boot that could fit my
      wide feet. After trying several pairs of boots on, these felt the
      best as I tested them out around the store.

      The first thing that I noticed about the boots was that the laces
      seemed rather rough on my hands as I laced them up tight. Lacing the
      boots several times over the course of the day of hiking caused
      blisters at my knuckles. I attributed this at the time to having
      hands that lacked enough calluses to prevent this, but subsequent
      uses resulted in similar, although not as severe, discomfort. I have
      since replaced the laces and have experienced no more problems with
      lacing the boots.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Front and Back View" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "Front and Back View">>
      The boots provide a lot of ankle support and has likely spared me
      from numerous injuries as a result. During one particularly grueling
      hike, coming down the mountain I stumbled quite often, and each time,
      the support of the boot saved me from rolling my ankle. My foot
      feels secure and does not slide or shift once laced in. For example,
      I had to scramble off the summit of Longs Peak in a thunderstorm and
      these boots held up to the high stresses I put on them. I almost
      always wear a liner sock and a mid-weight wool sock, and I find there
      is still enough room for a thicker sock.

      I have a bony protrusion on the back of my heel that frequently
      causes me blisters. However, this hasn't been much of a problem with
      this boot, although I still use moleskin to mitigate the problem. I
      have not experienced any blisters elsewhere, nor have I noticed any
      uncomfortable spots.

      Traction with the REI Spirit III GTX is excellent. I am able to
      scramble around on boulders when I need to and it holds equally well
      on gravel. The trail will give before the boots will, in my
      opinion! I did take these boots hiking in the winter with my dogs
      without snowshoes or other devices to add traction for about 3 mi (5
      km). I found that the boots held up reasonably well, even with the
      heavy snowpack; only on the steeper grades did I feel unstable.

      The GORE-TEX has held up very well to-date. My feet have remained
      dry and warm in rain, snow and after crossing streams. To test the
      waterproofing, I stood for 5 minutes in a mountain stream where the
      water came up to the top of the leather. After the time passed, my
      feet were dry and warm, even despite the frigid water temperature.

      I have found that after a long day of hiking, particularly in the
      summer, my feet get noticeably hot. I have always preferred full-
      leather boots, and do not think these are any warmer than others I
      have worn. I have noticed that the boots do a good job of wicking
      away any excess moisture, especially when combined with quality
      socks. During my winter hikes, my feet stayed dry and warm, although
      I did wear thicker wool socks and temperatures were never lower than
      22 F (-5.5 C).

      SUMMARY

      I am extremely satisfied with these boots. Once I replaced the
      laces, they have served me well. I am normally accustomed to wearing
      heavy, sturdy boots and I appreciate the security of the high ankle
      support. While I have noticed some wear on the outsides of the
      boots, I consider this normal considering the types of uses and
      abuses that I have put this pair through. I would rate the
      durability as above average.

      The insoles that come with this boot are not exceptional, but neither
      are they terrible. I might consider upgrading to a more supportive
      commercial insole, especially with the amount of mileage I have put
      on the boots so far.

      The boots have held up exceptionally well thus far. The GORE-TEX
      continues to provide excellent waterproofing. The Vibram soles show
      some wear, but seem to be holding well. There are a couple of places
      where the black Vibram is cracking, specifically in the arches. This
      portion of the material is thinner than where the treads are, and in
      one section has broken away. The leather is so far intact, except
      for some scuffing on each side.

      As a consequence of the all-leather boot type, my feet tend to sweat
      a lot, but the linings do a fair job of wicking away the moisture. I
      like the peace of mind that comes from having a full leather boot
      from a durability standpoint. Overall, the gains outweigh any
      setbacks, and I would gladly buy another pair when these are worn out.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Excellent ankle support.
      2. Waterproofing has held up well.
      3. Superior fit to my foot type: wide foot with bony protrusion on
      heel.
      4. Very good durability.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. The laces were of a poor quality and I chose to replace them.
      2. My feet get warm and sweaty because of the full-grain leather
      construction.
      3. Insoles are not especially comfortable.
      4. The Vibram soles are showing signs of cracking in the arches.

      By Brett Haydin

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
          > EDIT: OR - REI Spirit III GTX Hiking Boots - Brett Haydin

          Hi Brett,

          this is the official Edit for your 2nd OR. Pretty good work. You've
          seen this before, so it won't surprise you that an "EDIT" signifies
          something you need to change, an "Edit" something you should
          consider, and a "Comment" can be safely ignored.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brett" <bhaydin@...> wrote:
          <snip>
          > REI SPIRIT III GTX HIKING BOOT
          > BY BRETT HAYDIN
          > OR

          EDIT: That's BGT speak. Please change to "Owner Review".

          <snip>
          > Other details:
          >
          > The REI Spirit III GTX hiking boot is a one-piece, full height,
          full-
          > grain leather waterproof boot. They stand 7.125 in (18 cm) high at
          > the highest point,, not incliding the tongue.

          EDIT: you only need one of those, you know, interpunctual thingies?
          (We're not supposed to edit for the c-word).

          <snip>
          > The full height boot offers better ankle support than low or
          > mid height boots.

          Edit: Being a member of the Projection Police, I likely see this
          statement more critical than most. That said, I'd feel better if you
          phrased this along the lines of "I feel that ..." . It may seem like
          a simple factual statement at first, but there are a number of people
          who claim vociferously that ankle support is a myth, that heavy boots
          have never saved someone from twisting an ankle and have in fact
          contributed to such injuries by making one more clumsy on one's feet.
          I'm not quite won over by such diatribe, but have actually switched
          to doing all my hiking in running shoes, including in what passes for
          mountains around here. As this is turning more and more into a
          comment, I'll leave it at that for your consideration.

          <snip>
          The soles of the boots
          > are stiff, but there is enough cushion and support inside to make
          it
          > a comfortable fit.

          EDIT: Projection! Get the kids inside!
          Please phrase as *your* experience with a comfortable fit for *you*.

          > The discrepancy of the listed weight and measured weight is easily
          > resolved. REI uses an average weight for a size 9 US (8.5 UK)
          boot.
          > The size I purchased was a little larger than the size REI uses.

          Comment: Yes. They, like every other manufacturer, take ludicrously
          small shoes for weighing. Which means that people like myself who
          wear shoes sizes 12 to 13 salivate over every new lightweight looking
          shoe in a catalog until we get to a store and find them heavier than
          what we're wearing to get there. Sigh.
          ;-)

          <snip>
          > The boots provide a lot of ankle support and has likely spared me
          > from numerous injuries as a result. During one particularly
          grueling
          > hike, coming down the mountain I stumbled quite often, and each
          time,
          > the support of the boot saved me from rolling my ankle.

          Comment: That puts your statement above in perspective. Good.

          <snip>

          > The boots have held up exceptionally well thus far. The GORE-TEX
          > continues to provide excellent waterproofing. The Vibram soles
          show
          > some wear, but seem to be holding well. There are a couple of
          places
          > where the black Vibram is cracking, specifically in the arches.
          This
          > portion of the material is thinner than where the treads are, and
          in
          > one section has broken away. The leather is so far intact, except
          > for some scuffing on each side.

          Edit: The above reads more like something that would come under the
          heading "Durability" than a "Summary", particularly as the
          Likes/Dislikes section below seems to fulfill the "Summary" role.

          <snip>
          > 1. The laces were of a poor quality and I chose to replace them.

          Edit: You haven't mentioned anything that would make me consider them
          poor quality, other than that they were rough. Was fraying an issue
          as well? If not, I'd say just call them "rough".

          > 2. My feet get warm and sweaty because of the full-grain leather
          > construction.

          Comment: Likely a combination of the leather and Gore-Tex. While both
          materials are breathable to a degree, both of them laminated atop one
          another obviously provide more restistance to moisture transmission
          than either one of them would.

          > 3. Insoles are not especially comfortable.
          > 4. The Vibram soles are showing signs of cracking in the arches.
          >
          > By Brett Haydin

          -------------

          Allright!

          Good work, particularly for this being only your second OR. You
          should be testing gear soonish. First, though, please take care of
          the above edits and repost with "REPOST" substituted for my "EDIT" in
          the headline. I'll give it another look and you'll be on your way.

          Now would be a good time to fill out and send in your tester
          agreement, if you haven't done so already.

          André
          OR Editor
        • Brett Haydin
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            André,

            Thank you for the comment and edits. A couple of responses and then the
            text will follow.

            * The report writer puts “OR” in the .txt file, but as best as I can
            tell, “OWNER REVIEW” is spelled out on the html. I changed it below (after
            pasting…)
            * Thanks for the heads up on the projections. I thought I had
            squeezed them out of the review! Apparently I missed a couple.
            * I was experiencing the same technical issues with my agreement, but
            it has been resent to the new address!

            I’m looking forward to wrapping this one up and contributing to the testing
            process.

            Brett

            _____

            REI SPIRIT III GTX HIKING BOOT

            BY BRETT HAYDIN

            OWNER REVIEW

[...]

            Measured Weight: 3 lb 13 oz (1.73 kg)

            Size purchased: 10.5 US Men's

            Sizes available: 8 - 13 US including half sizes

            Other details:

            The REI Spirit III GTX hiking boot is a one-piece, full height, full-grain
            leather waterproof boot. They stand 7.125 in (18 cm) high at the highest
            point, not including the tongue. The waterproofing is provided by a
            GORE-TEX layer, referred to as a "bootie" on the website. Cambrelle is the
            brand name of the inner lining, which helps "wick away moisture." Vibram is
            the brand name of the soles. The boots also feature a rubber toe cap. While
            REI is listed as the manufacturer, I was told by the salesperson that the
            boots are constructed, under contract, by Raichle. There is a Raichle logo
            on the insole, which supports this claim.

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Inside View" IMAGE CAPTION = "Inside
            View">>I feel that the full height boot offers better ankle support than low
            or mid height boots. The round nylon laces that came with the boots are
            threaded through a series of metal loops, four on each side, before 3 sets
            of speed loops.

            There is soft padding on the interior of the boot to provide comfort for the
            high ankle, as well as near the top of the tongue. On the rear of the boot,
            the leather material is used about three-quarters of the way up the boot,
            with the remainder being made of fabric.

            According to the manufacturer's website, the "polyurethane midsoles are
            designed with more rocker for a smooth stride; full-length nylon shanks add
            stability and shock absorption." The soles of the boots are stiff, but I
            found there is enough cushion and support inside to make it a comfortable
            fit for me.

[...]

            DURABILITY

            The boots have held up well thus far. The GORE-TEX continues to provide
            excellent waterproofing. The Vibram soles show some wear, but seem to be
            holding well. There are a couple of places where the black Vibram is
            cracking, specifically in the arches. This portion of the material is
            thinner than where the treads are, and in one section has broken away.

            The leather is so far intact, except for some scuffing on each side. I
            consider this normal considering the types of uses and abuses that I have
            put this pair through. I would rate the durability as above average.

            THINGS I LIKE

            1. Excellent ankle support.

            2. Waterproofing has held up well.

            3. Superior fit to my foot type: wide foot with bony protrusion on heel.

            4. Very good durability.

            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            1. The laces were of a rough on my hands and I chose to replace them.

            2. My feet get warm and sweaty because of the full-grain leather
            construction combined with the GORE-TEX lining.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2008
              > EDIT/APPROVAL: Owner Review - REI Spirit III GTX Hiking Boots -
              Brett Haydin

              Hi Brett, see below:

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Haydin" <bhaydin@...>
              wrote:
              <snip>
              > The boots provide a lot of ankle support and has likely spared me

              EDIT: and have

              <snip>
              > DURABILITY
              >
              > The boots have held up well thus far. The GORE-TEX continues to
              > provide excellent waterproofing. The Vibram soles show some wear,
              > but seem to be holding well.

              Edit: holding *up* well (?)

              <snip>

              ---------

              That was quick. Good work, Brett. You are clear to upload here:
              http://tinyurl.com/5p4par

              You will want to sign up to
              in case you haven't already - that's where the test calls are posted.
              The Bylaws also spell out how things work - particularly the "newbie"
              rule, which tends to generate a lot of questions. See here:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0

              The long and the short of it is that you can now begin applying for
              tests. Feel free to look at some posted applications for inspiration -
              best look at applications for old tests - getting to much
              inspiration from applications for tests one is applying for oneself
              is severely frowned upon.

              I wish you the best of luck.

              André
              OR Editor
            • Brett Haydin
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2008
                Thank you for your help, and to the others who helped me through this
                learning period. The new file is uploaded, and the old deleted. I’ve
                (re)sent my agreement to the South Carolina address, so it does look like I
                really am ready to start testing!

                Just a quick plug in: The mentoring program was really helpful. For those
                of you who haven’t considered it and are just beginning your first OR’s, I
                highly recommend using this tool.

                Brett

                _____

                --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com, "Brett Haydin" <bhaydin@...>
                wrote:
                <snip>
                > The boots provide a lot of ankle support and has likely spared me

                EDIT: and have

                <snip>
                > DURABILITY
                >
                > The boots have held up well thus far. The GORE-TEX continues to
                > provide excellent waterproofing. The Vibram soles show some wear,
                > but seem to be holding well.

                Edit: holding *up* well (?)

                <snip>

                ---------

                That was quick. Good work, Brett. You are clear to upload here:
                http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/5p4par> com/5p4par

                You will want to sign up to
                http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/>