OR - REI Towel - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
      Hello wonderful edit team. I have an OR for your perusal (hopefully
      not your refusal…) that may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2fczs4

      Thanks,

      Ray

      REI Multi Towel Lite
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      March 16, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI)
      Web site: www.rei.com
      Product: Multi Towel Lite Medium
      Year manufactured: 2005 and 2007
      MSRP: $ 10.00 (US)
      Weight listed: 2 oz (57 g)
      Actual weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
      Size listed: 15.5 x 27.5 in (39 x 70 cm) Verified accurate
      Color reviewed: Curry (also comes in Beige, more a khaki, which I
      owned also)
      Made in Korea

      Warranty: (from web site), "100% satisfaction guaranteed".

      Product Description

      (Note: I recently lost my first REI towel and bought the one in the
      pictures to replace it. The descriptions are of the new one, the
      observations are from a few years use of the first one. Pictures are
      of both.)

      The REI Multi Towel Lite (hereafter called the towel) is a polyester
      (85%) and nylon (15%) towel aimed at backpackers, travelers and the
      fitness crowd. Mine is Curry (orange colored).

      It is rectangular in shape with rounded off corners as can be seen
      above. The edge is serged to keep it from unraveling. The REI logo is
      in the lower right corner. A hang loop is sewn to the upper left
      corner. This loop closes with a tiny sliding buckle. This is new; my
      first towel had a snap.

      The material is extremely soft to the touch and very absorbent. It
      feels like a piece of good chamois. It has an anti-bacterial
      treatment to help keep it odor free.

      The towel is machine washable and will become softer and more
      absorbent with washing.

      It comes inside a 0.8 oz (23 g) storage case that I throw away as
      soon as I get it home. The case is mesh with plastic on one side
      under the mesh, and has a zipper on it. It also has a hang loop as
      seen in the picture here.

      According to REI up to 90% of the moisture can be rung out of the
      towel to speed drying time, they claim that it dries three times
      faster than a cotton towel. I have never brought a cotton towel
      hiking so can not verify that claim…
      Field Conditions
      I have used the towels in Canyonlands, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings
      Canyon, Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks along with many
      National Forests and Wilderness areas. It has probably been along
      with me on at least 1200 miles (1900 km) of backpacking trails and
      has dried me after rinsing off in countless rivers, lakes, and creeks.

      It has been as high as 14497' and as low as 1000' (4418 to 305 m) in
      elevation. Temperatures have ranged from a frigid 17 F to well over
      100 F (-8 to 38 C). I have used it to wipe condensation from tent
      walls in snow and rain storms, but most use has been on great sunny
      days. It has been dried on rocks and boulders, draped over bushes and
      hung from a multitude of high elevation pine trees like the one in
      this picture at Crabtree Meadows in the eastern Sierra Nevada range.

      Observations

      I have been using the REI towels for over three years. They seem to
      me to be made of identical material as a more expensive name-brand
      alternative which I also own a couple sizes of. The REI version works
      exactly the same, which is quite well.

      They absorb water very well. I have used this little towel to dry my
      hair and face many, many times. And it has dried my entire body
      probably 20 to 30 times over the past few years.

      On a spring hike with more creek and river crossings than I have ever
      done on one trail I just left it attached to the back of my pack as I
      was drying off my feet and legs every hour or so. It just kept on
      sucking up water.

      I have used it to wipe off the inside of my tent a few times also. A
      memorable occasion of this was a surprise snow storm in the high
      Sierra Nevada using a Henry Shire's Tarptent. I was forced to button
      the tent up tightly as the snow kept alternating with wind driven
      rain and back to snow. I did not know that a tent could get as wet
      inside as mine was. I had to wring the towel out in the middle of
      wiping the tent out the next morning.

      The towel dries very fast, usually overnight unless the humidity is
      very high due to weather or proximity to rushing water, a condition
      that I am near quite often. On the times that it does not dry (or had
      to use it in the morning as described above) I just clip it to my
      backpack and it will be dry before I stop again for the day. Here is
      a shot of the beige towel the day before I lost it. I am staring at a
      beautiful class 5+/6 rapid in Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park

      I have found nothing to complain about my towel. It works great,
      dries fast and lasts. (As long as I don't leave it on the trail.) I
      look forward to using it on many trips in the future.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2008
          EDIT/Approval: REI Multi Towel Lite OR - Raymond Estrella

          Or rather lack of edit. :^) I think this is the very first report
          EVER that I found nothing to pick on. Way to go Ray!

          Upload here at your leisure:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Towels/REI%
          20Multi%20Towel%20Lite/

          OR: http://tinyurl.com/2mchgq

          Thanks for a very easy read and a great review.

          Pam
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
            wrote:

            > EDIT/Approval: REI Multi Towel Lite OR - Raymond Estrella
            >
            > Or rather lack of edit. :^) I think this is the very first report
            > EVER that I found nothing to pick on. Way to go Ray!

            Hi Pam,

            Sorry it took so long to respond, I was unconscious…

            Whoo-hoo! No edits from my favorite task-master.

            OK, for real now, thank you for looking at it. I shall upload right
            away.