EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 2:07 AM
      Hi Kara

      Thank you for the Owner Review. Before it can be edited we need the HTML
      version (with any pics) posted in the Test/ Owner Review folder at BGT. Both
      must be posted from the start. When you post it there, please post the URL
      on this channel so I can find it for the edit process.

      Thanks
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
    • karguo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21 7:19 PM
        Here is the link to the HTML verson. Thanks so much for your help!

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Merrell%
        20Mesa%20II%20Boots/
      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
          Hi Kara

          My apologies that this has taken so long to be picked up. I was away in the
          mountains for a while ... I will get back to you here with the edit tomorrow
          I hope.

          In the meantime, my only comment is to ask whather you are able to include a
          picture in this OR. While a pic in your first OR is not mandatory, pics will
          be mandatory hereafter.

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
          BGT Editor
        • rcaffin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
            EDIT: Merrell Mesa II Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots - Kara Stanley

            Hi Kara

            Welcome to BGT. This is a good start. I have some small edits for you
            to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not be offended by the
            terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it
            easiest to list them.

            Reposting
            When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
            OR here on this channel.
            At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
            Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. Please include the URL for the
            HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and all
            subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement that
            we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
            manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
            approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
            help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
            time and are easily confused ...

            Photos
            All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
            the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
            encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
            inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
            convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
            text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
            'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

            Edit Conventions
            Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
            comments:
            EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
            Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
            Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
            as a result.
            However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
            criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
            to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
            clear what you mean.

            Mentors
            If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
            Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
            somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
            they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
            testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
            test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentots are here to help.
            If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
            (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
            your subject line.

            Rules and Regulations
            In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
            Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
            rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
            have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
            These pages are found at
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
            second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
            try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
            problems with them, let us know.

            HTML Creation and Problems
            In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
            with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
            is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
            you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
            Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
            strippping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who
            know nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
            although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
            tags. Both can be found through Google.

            In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
            problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
            have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
            responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
            seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
            pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
            just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
            into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
            create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
            file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
            filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
            Writer is a better option.

            BGT Report Writer
            This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
            series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
            to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
            wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
            inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
            HTML-literate it can be handy. See
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
            further information. It is highly recommended.

            Uploading to BGT
            When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
            ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
            assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
            BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
            upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
            is usually due to the use of MS Word.

            Tester Agreement
            Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
            Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
            complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
            Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
            understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
            thing here is to COMMUNICATE! The agreement can be found at:

            The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim Hatch. For Jim's
            address see msg
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

            If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
            Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
            participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
            details on this may be found at
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

            Applying for Tests
            You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
            announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
            where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

            Cheers
            Roger Caffin
            BGT OR Editor
            -------------------------------
            Comment: personally, I am not thrilled by the use of a pale blue font.
            In my eyes the colour makes it harder to read. However, This is
            probably a 'style' issue, and you are free to leave it as it is if you
            wish.

            > Backpacking Background:
            EDIT: short, but you do not say here whether you do only day walks or
            over-nighters. This should be included here.

            > MSRP: $80 (REI list price no price listed on web-site)
            EDIT: delete this line. The REI price is NOT MSRP. Only use a price
            from the manufacturer web site, or put n/a if not given.

            > Product description
            EDIT: we do want to have a text-based description of the shoes in your
            own words, preferably supplemented with a photo. otherwise I have no
            real idea of what these shoes *look* like.

            > Since then I have worn them on everything from rocks to
            > pavement to gravel trails. And hiked over 170 miles in them to date.
            EDIT: make into one sentence.

            > costing only $59.99 +tax on sale at REI
            EDIT: delete - that price is not relevant to someone who was not at
            that sale.

            > often turned my ankles on loose rocks, once I started wearing the boots
            EDIT: break into two sentences.

            > the number of times I twist my ankles while has been reduced by
            EDIT: missing word (hiking?)

            > result of wearing seamed-socked while walking
            EDIT: 'seam-socked' ???

            > I would not recommend them to cold weather or cool
            Edit: for cold weather

            > These boots where great on my four-days hikes carrying
            EDIT: were great
            EDIT: four-day hikes

            > bout 40lbs, my friend had horrid heavy
            EDIT: two sentences

            > Not warm enough for winter hikes if your cold-footed like me
            EDIT: avoid the 'your' bit: our 'no projection' rule.