EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9 6:14 AM
      > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Light My Fire Spork

      Dear Elizabeth (or is there some short form you'd rather be called?),

      this is your first edit for your first Owner Review.
      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org! I'm happy to see you've posted.
      There's a bunch of things you can read about how these things work,
      and judging by your report you've found (and read!) some of them
      already. Excellent. If there's more you need to know or something you
      don't understand, don't hesitate to ask. It is also always possible
      to ask for a mentor. Just holler (well, better yet: Send an email to
      that effect, entitled "Mentor Request" to this list, or better yet
      to "mentor@...").

      There tend to be a bunch of edits on a first review - I know mine had
      a lot. Don't sweat it, a lot of it is just things we've developed
      over the years at backpackgeartest.org that one needs to get used to.
      It can be bothersome at first, but becomes easier with time. And it's
      definitely worth it! (I was in your position almost exactly four
      years ago.)

      So, as per the Bylaws,
      (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0)
      my edit will take the following form: "EDIT" indicates an issue which
      requires changing - grammar, typo, or house rules like "projection",
      which I will explain if necessary; "Edit" indicates something that
      struck me as odd or off, and that you are requested to consider doing
      something about, although the final call is yours; "Comment"
      indicates I couldn't keep my mouth shut...
      ;-)

      > LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK
      >
      > TESTER BIO
      > Name: Elizabeth Davis
      > Age: 18
      > Gender: Female
      > Height: 5' 4'' ( 1.63 meters)

      EDIT: That's 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m) -- please refer to the table at the
      bottom of our conversion chart, which lists how we abbreviate:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

      > Weight: 125 pounds (57 kilograms)

      EDIT: ditto (125 lb / 57 kg)

      > Email address: elizrd AT gmail DOT com
      > City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
      > Date: December 28, 2007

      EDIT: I know we're a bit behind with our editing queue, but not that
      far behind, are we?
      ;-)

      > Backpacking Background:

      EDIT: I deleted the exact spot, but you once give "0 C" as the
      equivalent temperature of "0 F". "0 F" actually equals -18 C (I
      assume you checked the "Temperature Difference" conversion rather
      than the "Temperature" conversion by accident (that happens all the
      time, even to veteran testers, and often the only one who notices is
      bloody foreigners like myself).

      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      >
      > Manufacturer: Light My Fire
      > Year of Manufacture: 2007
      > Manufacturer's Website: www.lightmyfire.com
      > MSRP: none listed
      > Weight: 7 grams (0.25 oz.)
      > Product Information: Avaliable in 15 colors, including metallic, the
      > spork is a polycarbonate spoon-knife-fork combo.
      >
      > ( insert photo here,
      caption: "An
      > army of sporks!" )

      Comment: This reads as though you've already downloaded the Report
      Writer feature. Is that so? If so, it'll also produce an HTML file
      for you to upload to the test folder at backpackgeartest.org.
      If not - please create an HTML document of this report, and upload it
      there. Should you have difficulties with this, please do not hesitate
      to ask the friendly and knowledgeable folks at

      > FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW
      >
      > I have used this spork on multiple backpacking trips in a
      variety of
      > temperatures.

      EDIT: Not good enough. I realize listing every incidence an item was
      used becomes impossible once it's been used long enough (not to
      mention pointless), but giving a more concrete range of examples and
      a ballpark figure for the number of meals eaten with it (three, a
      dozen, dozens?) is necessary.

      I have used it in Pisgah and in the Smokies, in rain,
      > snow, and sunshine. It has been used with a stainless steel pot and
      > MSR Whisperlight white gas stove. I have also used it to eat lunch
      > from a plastic container during school.
      > This spork is lightweight, and sturdy. It is a useful length
      of 6.5
      > in. (16.5 cm).

      Edit: Is this the total length? or just the handle? measured from
      where to where?

      I have used it for soup, pasta (of both the spaghetti
      > and the shorter types), and to spread peanut butter and nutella.

      EDIT: as a proper name, that's spelled "Nutella" (capitalized).

      > have found that I use the spoon end most often. The spoon end is
      > useful for soup and short pasta. The spoon is deep enough to hold a
      > bite of soup without it falling out. The fork end can be used for
      > spaghetti type pasta, though not as easily as regular silverware.
      The
      > tines of the fork are somewhat short and stubby, but they are still
      > able to pick up pieces of pasta. The knife is a serrated edge on the
      > outside of the tine of the fork. The knife is not terribly useful
      for
      > cutting tough objects because it is serrated. It can be used to cut
      > bread, but it is rather short, only about 0.75 in (1.91 cm). It can
      > also be used to cut small vegetables, such as carrots, though it is
      > challenge. I find it easier to just carry a pocket knife to do any
      > cutting for my dinner. The knife can be used to spread peanute
      > butter-like substances, and in this case it is very useful because
      it
      > saves me having to clean gunk off of my pocket knife.

      EDIT: that "of" is redundant.

      > I especially appreciate the ease with which the spork can be
      cleaned.
      > The polycarbonate is smooth, and can be washed easily. I can even
      get
      > spaghetti sauce off without effort, and it does not leave residue.
      > The spork is very sturdy. I have not noticed any signs of
      wear. The
      > spork appears to be in like new condition. It is flexible, and I
      can
      > toss it in my backpack without fear of it breaking. The tines and
      > knife are not very sharp, so I do not have to worry about it
      > puncturing anything.
      >
      > THINGS I LIKE
      >
      > lightweight
      > easy to clean
      > sturdy
      > flexible
      >
      > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
      >
      > knife is not especially effective for cutting
      >
      > SIGNATURE
      >
      > elizrd AT gmail.com

      Wow, that is one of the best 1st drafts for a first Owner Review I
      have ever seen. Do you perchance have a Mentor already?

      While you go over the above remarks, please also consider:

      Has the spork ever appeared brittle (if used below freezing), or
      partially melted (if trying to spear something being deep-fried in
      fat)? (The latter happened to me.) Are there things that you can't
      get the fork's tines into that a metal fork would enter (some fresh
      vegetables might come to mind). Do you use the knife part for
      anything other than spreading something on bread, because it's faster
      than taking out your pocket knife - like, say, cutting a slice of
      bread in two, cutting pasta etc.?

      Once you've done this, please repost to this list by replying to this
      message with the word "REPOST" substituted for the word "EDIT" in the
      header. Please also upload an HTML version to the test folder (with
      your pictures), and include a shortlink (tinyurl or snipurl) with
      your text post here.

      That seems like a lot of things to do already, but you've come so far
      already with your first Owner Review draft, that I'm sure you'll
      manage. And again - if not, just ask! We do like to help.

      André
      OR Editor