REPOST Black Diamond Tripod Bivy

  • Alexander Chard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8 2:23 PM
      PERSONAL DETAILS
      AND BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      Alexander Chard
      Age: 48
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10" (178 cm)
      Weight: 160 lbs (73 kg)
      City: Peterborough
      State: New Hampshire, USA
      alexander_chard@ yahoo.com

      I have been backpacking since mid 90's, trips generally 2-10 days. I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions. I pack for comfort.
      My shelters are usually tarp or bivy sack. Spring to fall pack weight
      about 16 lbs/7 kg, and about 2 lbs/1 kg food per day. Excursions
      include trips in the Smokey's, White Mountains, Grand Canyon, Southern
      Canada and Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I consider difficult terrain
      and adverse conditions the ingredients for interesting and memorable
      excursions.

      Initial Report:
      Product: Bibler Tripod Bivy
      Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment LTD.
      Web site: http://www.bdel com
      MSRP: $299.95 USD
      Size: 1 person
      Color: Green
      Area: 20 sq ft (1.9 m²)
      Listed Weight: 3 lbs (1.35 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz (1.5 kg)
      Listed dimensions: 88 x 34 x 25" (224 x 86 x 64 cm)
      Measured dimensions: 91 x 34 x 25" (231 x 86 x 64cm)
      Listed packed size: 6 x 15" (15 x 38 cm)

      Product Description:
      The Tripod Bivy is manufactured by Black Diamond Limited (BDL) and is
      one of the company's four alpine bivys. Their web site states that
      their philosophy is to "create the most innovative shelters possible
      and that BDL bivys are "durable and able to withstand the abuses of
      big mountain climates." The inside dimensions of the head and
      shoulder area of the vestibule measured 31(l) x 34(w) x 24(h)" (79 x
      86 x 61 cm) at the widest point and narrowing down to 13" (33 cm) wide
      the on the floor head and shoulders area, while the toe box area
      measures 17 (wide) x 14" (high) (43 x 36 cm) when staked. The extra
      room in the top canopy area eliminates the claustrophobic feeling in
      standard bivy sacks, and the area in the toe box is large enough so as
      not to crush the loft of below zero sleeping bags. Every grommet is
      mounted in webbing and sewn into the body of the bivy.

      The bivy includes a nylon stuff sack with a draw cord closure and cord
      lock. Three Easton aluminum poles make the Tripod Bivy self standing,
      with the exception of the toe box which must be staked down. Each pole
      has a different number of sections and elbows which allows the poles
      to fold up in a compact bundle. The canopy and body are constructed of
      ToddTex, which is Bibler's proprietary waterproof, breathable fabric,
      and the awning is constructed of nylon fabric. The bottom is a bathtub
      style floor constructed of a "70-denier nylon taffeta fabric,
      laminated with a polyurethane film yielding a high tear strength,
      waterproof, lightweight and durable floor." According to the technical
      information section of BDL's web site they take great care in the
      sealing and stitching of the seams. To date BDL claims never to have
      had a seam failure.

      The outer surface has a textured crumpled suede look which is unlike
      the smooth silicon coated nylon materials used in most other shelters.
      ToddTex is made up of two layers; the exterior layer is a thin
      waterproof film laminated over a "super-light ripstop fabric"
      preventing water from penetrating. The inner layer of ToddTex material
      is made of "Nexus® which has a fuzzy texture." This layer wicks the
      moisture along the entire canopy and body area then through the PTFE
      layer to be wicked away. There are two individually adjustable,
      dual-slider zippers. Both zippers measured 61" (155 cm) in length
      starting from the left side approximately 14" (36 cm) from the ground
      travels up to the top and takes a 90° turn at the peak of the canopy,
      traveling down the left side gentling arching so that the zipper
      travels parallel to the ground over the legs (body area) approximately
      one third of the way to the toe box. One zipper is for closing the
      ToddTex canopy, the other for "no-see-um netting." After the zipper
      curves past the vestibule and moves parallel to the ground, this is
      where the transition from ToddTex canopy and body to the laminated
      nylon taffeta fabric floor occurs. The bottom side of the zipper
      measured and 7" (18 cm) off the ground. I discovered exiting and
      entering to be challenging due to the length of this section of the
      zipper. This section of the zipper measured 47" (119 cm) from the
      center of the peak down the right side of the vestibule
      arching/changing direction parallel to the ground and then traveling
      20" (51 cm). The shape of the opening makes it difficult to get my
      legs inside. I enter the bivy by first having both zippers opened
      entirely. Then sit in the bivy in the area where the zipper curves and
      begins to travel parallel to the ground, and enter my sleeping bag and
      the bivy at the same time. Basically I am sitting in the open bivy at
      an approximate right angle, and then lay down into the canopy area,
      and zip in for the evening. When exiting for the day simply reverse
      the above procedure. For a brief exit and reentry, I simply stand up
      in the sleeping bag and drop the bag straight down so that I can step
      into the bag and bivy openings for easy reentry. Except for when it is
      raining.

      Setting up the Tripod Bivy the first few times was challenging.
      According to the directions the shorter of the two vestibule poles
      must be installed first. This pole slides through a hole in the
      ToddTex area of the awning and fits into a pocket where the floor and
      ToddTex meet in the head area. I found that installing this pole first
      from the peak of canopy area in the front of the bivy and inserting
      the end into the pocket, then inserting the opposite end into the
      grommet located on the awning prevents the other end from popping out
      of the pocket. Then I thread the second longer pole through sewn
      fabric openings on the left and right sides of the canopy. Then one at
      a time I insert each end of the longer pole into the grommets located
      outside the bivy on the floor. Next I insert two stakes in the ground
      through the web loops sewn in at the top of the canopy floor. To
      finish the set up I install the u-shaped pole which supports the toe
      box area into the grommets mounted on the floor and using the provided
      cordage looped through the reinforced openings on the toe box awning I
      stake the foot section down. The first few times setting up and
      installing this pole I pulled on the fabric so hard that I thought for
      certain the ToddTex would tear. I contacted BDL and they assured me
      that the bivy would not tear.

      My past experiences with other manufactures provided stuff sacks are
      that they are generally too small to repack the product. The stuff
      sack BDL provided was large enough to repack the bivy without
      struggling. Since the canopy area is larger than the lower body
      area I fold the top over to make the widths closer to even.
      Personally, my modus operandi is to roll the stakes and poles inside
      the bivy starting at the lower end and roll the bivy toward the top,
      leaving the canopy zipper open just a smidgen to allow air to
      escape, and then place the bivy into the stuff sack.

      Field Observations:
      I have used the Tripod Bivy mainly from early spring to late fall, and
      occasionally in the winter. Wearing gloves during a set up is a bit
      more of a challenge. In colder weather temperatures ranging from -25°
      F (-32 C°) to 15° F (10 C°) the pole sections were ifficult to
      separate. Placing the ends in the pocket and grommets, took a bit more
      time, however was not especially difficult. On multiple backpacking
      trips during early spring to late fall evening temperatures ranging
      from approximately 20° F(-7° C) 85° F (30 C°) in the Upper Peninsula
      of Michigan, White Mountains National Park, New Hampshire USA,
      Algonquin Provincial Park and Awaga Canyon Lake Superior Provincial
      Park, Ontario CA. Altitudes ranged from 100 ft (30m) to 4,000ft (1,200
      m). When the humidity was high I found sleeping slightly uncomfortable.

      When the entry way is opened a little at the peak, I did not
      experience any problems with condensation. I really have become fond
      of the head room which eliminated the constricted claustrophobic
      feeling of traditional bivy sacks I have used in the past. The canopy
      height allows plenty of room for reading, or extending out my arm for
      cooking, and the yellow color brightens up the interior. The one
      feature I found quite useful is the small gear pocket in the head area
      which is ideal for eyeglasses and headlamp.

      The interior has ample room for a Therm-a-Rest and cold weather
      sleeping bag; the foot box pole prevents loft compression. Although
      the Tripod bivy is spacious, there is little room for gear in the
      canopy head area. Personally I bring a couple of heavy duty plastic
      trash bags for gear storage. Several times I had to set up in the rain
      and there was some unavoidable (minimal) accumulation of water near
      the entry area. Speaking of rain, on a ten day trip (Awaga Canyon) it
      rained practically non-stop for a several days and there was no
      leaking. However, the continuous rain did require me to set up and
      pack away the bivy wet. When the rain stopped, I turned the bivy
      inside out and suspended it, and the material dried quickly.
      including many trips in difficult terrain, conditions and temperatures
      in the White Mountains. Additionally wind speeds in excess of 40 mph
      (64 kmph) are not uncommon in the Presidential range. Under these
      conditions there were not any flapping noises nor did the canopy bend
      or loose shape. The Tripod Bivy is constructed well and has proven to
      be a high quality
      one man shelter. In my opinion the overall performance was superb.

      What I like:
      Wind and waterproof
      Extra room in the vestibule area; both height and width when
      compared to other bivy sacks.
      Durability
      Weight savings verses a tent.

      What I did not like:
      Entry and exiting can be difficult.
      Initial set up when new.

      What would I change:
      Lengthen the zipper
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9 10:04 PM
        Alex,

        You have missed making a few edits I requested here in the beginning
        of the report, one of which, having the title and date at the
        beginning BEFORE your personal information I have made twice.

        I also requested that you polish up your backpacking background by
        adding words like "the" "on" and "a".

        Please double check my last edit, and make these and any other edits
        you might have missed and repost again.

        The owner review queue is getting backed up, and it is best not to
        have to repeatedly ask for the same corrections.

        I'm not trying to be harsh here, just practical. I know when you are
        making a lot of changes it is easy to miss a few, but I need you to
        go ahead and make those I've already requested before we proceed
        further.

        Pam

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Chard"

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13 11:00 AM
          Pam,

          No worries and no excuses I should have caught them. :-/ Life is good, so is self employment just changed from months of no income to (thankfully) sixteen hour days. I have already made corrections, will review later and repost in both groups tomorrow.

          Thank you,

          <alexander_chard@ ...> wrote:

          > PERSONAL DETAILS
          > AND BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
          > Alexander Chard
          > Age: 48
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5'10" (178 cm)
          > Weight: 160 lbs (73 kg)
          > City: Peterborough
          > State: New Hampshire, USA
          > alexander_chard@ yahoo.com
          >
          > I have been backpacking since mid 90's, trips generally 2-10 days. I
          > have backpacked in all seasons and conditions. I pack for comfort.
          > My shelters are usually tarp or bivy sack. Spring to fall pack
          weight
          > about 16 lbs/7 kg, and about 2 lbs/1 kg food per day. Excursions
          > include trips in the Smokey's, White Mountains, Grand Canyon,
          Southern
          > Canada and Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I consider difficult terrain
          > and adverse conditions the ingredients for interesting and memorable
          > excursions.
          >
          > Initial Report:
          > Product: Bibler Tripod Bivy
          > Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment LTD.
          > Web site: http://www.bdel com
          > MSRP: $299.95 USD
          > Size: 1 person
          > Color: Green
          > Area: 20 sq ft (1.9 m²)
          > Listed Weight: 3 lbs (1.35 kg)
          > Measured Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz (1.5 kg)
          > Listed dimensions: 88 x 34 x 25" (224 x 86 x 64 cm)
          > Measured dimensions: 91 x 34 x 25" (231 x 86 x 64cm)
          > Listed packed size: 6 x 15" (15 x 38 cm)

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • Alexander Chard
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19 10:52 AM
            Black Diamond Tripod Bivy
            By Alexander Chard
            March 19, 2008

            Personal Details and
            Backpacking Background:
            Alexander Chard
            Age: 48
            Gender: Male
            Height: 5'10" (178 cm)
            Weight: 160 lbs (73 kg)
            City: Peterborough
            State: New Hampshire, USA
            alexander_chard@ yahoo.com

            I have been backpacking since the mid 90's with trips generally 2-10
            days. I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions. I generally
            pack for comfort, and my shelters are usually tarp or bivy sack.
            Spring to fall pack weight is about 16 lbs/7 kg, and about 2 lbs/1 kg
[...]

            area of the vestibule measures 31(l) x 34(w) x 24(h)" (79 x 86 x 61
            cm) at the widest point and narrows down to 13" (33 cm) wide the on
[...]

            dual-slider zippers. Both zippers measure 61" (155 cm) in length
            starting from the left side approximately 14" (36 cm) from the ground
            and travels up to the top and take a 90° turn at the peak of the
            canopy, traveling down the left side gentling arching so that the
            zipper travels parallel to the ground over the legs (body area)
            approximately one third of the way to the toe box. One zipper is for
            closing the ToddTex canopy, the other for "no-see-um netting." After
            the zipper curves past the vestibule and moves parallel to the ground,
            this is where the transition from ToddTex canopy and body to the
            laminated nylon taffeta fabric floor occurs. The bottom side of the
            zipper measures 7" (18 cm) off the ground. I discovered exiting and
            entering to be challenging due to the length of this section of the
            zipper. This section of the zipper measures 47" (119 cm) from the
            center of the peak down the right side of the vestibule
            arching/changing direction parallel to the ground and then traveling
            20" (51 cm). The shape of the opening makes it difficult to get my
            legs inside. I enter the bivy by first having both zippers opened
            entirely. Then I sit in the bivy in the area where the zipper curves
            and begins to travel parallel to the ground and enter my sleeping bag
            and the bivy at the same time. Basically I am sitting in the open bivy
            at an approximate right angle, and then lay down into the canopy area,
            and zip in for the evening. When exiting for the day I simply reverse
[...]

            occasionally in the winter. I have used it on multiple backpacking
            trips during early spring to late fall with evening temperatures
            ranging from approximately 20° F (-7° C) 85° F (30 C°). Locations
            include the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, White Mountains National
            Park, New Hampshire USA, Algonquin Provincial Park and Awaga Canyon
            Lake Superior Provincial Park, Ontario CA. Altitudes ranged from 100
            ft (30m) to 4,000ft (1,200 m). Wearing gloves during a set up is a bit
            more of a challenge. When the humidity was high I found sleeping
            slightly uncomfortable. In colder weather temperatures ranging from
            -25° F (-32 C°) to 15° F (10 C°) the pole sections were difficult to
[...]

            (64 kph) are not uncommon in the Presidential range. Under these

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19 10:11 PM
              EDIT: Black Diamond Tripod Bivy OR - Alexander Chard

              This review is nearly there Alex. There are just a few more minor
              things for you to address:

              One of the BackpackGearTest HTML experts that lurk there should be
              able to help you.

              The inside dimensions of the head and shoulder area of the vestibule
              measures 31(l) x 34(w) x 24(h)" (79 x 86 x 61 cm) at the widest point
              and narrows down to 13" (33 cm) wide the on
              the floor head and shoulders area, while the toe box area measures 17
              (wide) x 14" (high) (43 x 36 cm) when staked.

              ### EDIT: There is still a small problem here after the part about
              where it narrows down. Please check your wording and correct it.
              You might mean "narrows down to 13" (33 cm) wide at the top of the
              head area" if that is what it does.

              Both zippers measure 61" (155 cm) in length starting from the left
              side approximately 14" (36 cm) from the ground and travels up to the
              top and take a 90° turn at the peak of the canopy, traveling down the
              left side gentling arching so that the zipper travels parallel to the
              ground over the legs (body area) approximately one third of the way
              to the toe box.

              ### EDIT: …from the ground and *travel* up to the top… (Otherwise
              sounds good. I think it is a lot clearer than earlier versions.
              Thanks for the changes.)

              My past experiences with other manufactures' provided stuff sacks are
              that they are generally too small to repack the product.

              ### EDIT: spelling of *manufacturers'* (you need an `r' at the end
              before the `s')
              Wearing gloves during a set up is a bit more of a challenge. When the
              humidity was high I found sleeping
              slightly uncomfortable. In colder weather temperatures ranging from -
              25° F (-32 C°) to 15° F (10 C°) the pole sections were difficult to
              separate. Placing the ends in the pocket and grommets, took a bit more
              time, however was not especially difficult.

              ### Comment: This section is much better. I do suggest, however,
              moving the humidity sentence to the end, since the colder weather
              information logically would follow your sentence about gloves.

              Lengthen the zipper?

              ### Comment: The question mark at the end isn't showing in the HTML
              version, so I'm not sure why it's in the text version. Make sure to
              leave it out.

              I am sure you are hoping this is the final round. I think it will
              be, once you've made these corrections. I do, however, need you to
              post the corrected HTML one more time. It should not be necessary to
              post a text version here, since the changes are minor. Just post a
              note that the new HTML version is uploaded to the owner review test
              folder.

              Thanks for all your hard work on this. Nearly there…. (I know, I
              said that last time). Honestly, you are almost done.

              Pam