Owner Review: Black Diamond Firstlight

  • selenasal
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2008
      If you could help me fix this up before posting it. I don't have the metric, yet.

      Name: Selena Leonard
      Age: 21
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'7"
      Weight: 145 lbs
      Email Address: SelenaALeonard@...
      City, State, Country: Des Moines, Iowa, USA.
      Date: February 25, 2008

      Backpacking Background: Most of my backpacking started with the Appalachian Trail, and
      has continued as short and long distance hikes ever since. The areas I've hiked and
      backpacked include the Southwestern deserts; high desert; alpine and forested mountains;
      Northwestern rainforests; beaches; swamp; and plenty of flat, forested areas. All of my
      hiking has, so far, been in the continental US, lower Canada, or the Swiss/German Alps.

      Black Diamond Firstlight tent

      I have carried this tent for sections of each of my long distance hikes; and it is my primary
      weekend tent. It is single walled, freestanding, 2 pounds, 9 ounces (depending who you
      ask - 10 oz), and has approximately enough room to comfortably fit one person, a pack,
      and a dog. It can fit two people and gear, so long as it doesn't rain. I have repaired and
      fixed this tent over time (it's at least 3000 miles old), and I have not found a vast
      improvement among other single walled tents, given the features.

      3. Product Information
      a. Manufacturer: Black Diamond
      b. Year of Purchase: 2005
      c. URL: http://www.bdel.com/
      d. Listed Wt: 2 lb 11 oz
      e. MSRP: $299 USD
      f. Product Description: Single walled, two person tent. Optional vestibule. Floor is sil-
      nylon, and it has an Epic fabric upper. One large door is on one skinny end of the tent, and
      one vent is opposite for ventilation. It has two internal mesh pockets. It is assembled with
      two internal poles, and comes with 4 titanium stakes and cord. It also comes with a stuff
      sack for the tent, and a separate one for the poles and stakes, both of which are made of
      silicone nylon.

      Field Information
      a. Locations of testing: Appalachian trail (spring/summer); Florida (winter); Iowa
      (spring/summer/fall), Pacific Crest Trail (high desert, Sierras, Oregon), Pacific Northwest
      (summer/fall); Canadian Rockies (summer); International AT (summer/fall); probably some
      others.
      b. Description of location: Varied
      c. Weather conditions: Generally three season, some snow, plenty of rain, plenty of
      humidity, and of cold.

      This tent has performed well, I like it, and I can't find a replacement that is significantly
      better than this. As it has aged, I have had to re-seam seal, patch the floor (duct tape has
      worked so far), reseal the floor, and wash the tent. The stitching has held up well; and
      Black Diamond was helpful when I called to ask about washing it.

      I have a couple complaints with the tent. One, is that the poles can cause condensation
      inside the tent, which can drip down into puddles. A bandana usually works for this, so
      long as you realize it before you roll your bag into it. I have also had issues with the
      overlapping fabric near the front door causing the condensation to collect. The vestibule
      would probably solve that, but it also eliminates the advantage in weight that this tent
      has.

      This is one tradeoff of single-walled tents, and I have never had more condensation than
      any other hikers camped around me who also use single-walled tents. I'm not sure that
      the Epic fabric helps much; but, I do know that that being able to vent both sides of this
      tent helps, especially if you face one of the walls into the wind.

      The footprint is small, making it easy to find a campsite. And, for one person, it is roomy.
      You can sit up, get dressed, eat, and still have room for gear. I remember one afternoon
      in Oregon, when my hiking partner and I stopped for lunch in a wasp infested area; and
      we could both sit in there and stretch out out legs, and have some room for food. I also
      have a thing for freestanding tents, mostly for the ease of setup, and the range of places
      you can set it up. There were a few times I set this up in AT shelters, and had no
      problems, while others were stringing ropes to the floor and walls and such.

      Probably my favorite thing about this tent, is that, if it is a clear night, you can sleep with
      your head near the door, and look through the mesh at the stars, listening to the
      mosquitos buzzing around outside.

      One note, though, is that anyone over 6 feet tall should test this tent out before
      committing to it. It may be possible to sleep diagonal, but it isn't a tent made for tall
      people. For me, though, it's perfect.

      Summary

      Overall, this tent has done me well. I do not like the overlapping front panels, as these
      can cause extra condensation. This tent is probably nearing its end, as I have had to
      reseal the floor; but the actual craftsmanship has been good and has held up in all this
      time. Day to day, this tent works well. It is roomy; comfortable; easy to use; and easy to
      set up and take down. It also meets my needs of being a single walled, free standing, two
      person tent. It has held up to all the weather that has come its way, including strong
      winds, heavy rain, snow, and some hail. I've been happy with this purchase.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Jason Boyle
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hello Selena,

          Thanks for the post. Jamie should pick it up and add it to the
          que. We are all volunteers so it may take a few days for an editor
          to get back to you. In the mean time - do you have a mentor? I
          highly recommend one to help you through the OR process. You can
          email Jenn at jennksnowy@... and she will set you up with a
          mentor.

          Welcome,
          Jason

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "selenasal" <selenasal@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > committing to it. It may be possible to sleep diagonal, but it
          isn't a tent made for tall
          > people. For me, though, it's perfect.
          >

          > Summary
          >
          > Overall, this tent has done me well. I do not like the overlapping
          front panels, as these
          > can cause extra condensation. This tent is probably nearing its
          end, as I have had to
          > reseal the floor; but the actual craftsmanship has been good and
          has held up in all this
          > time. Day to day, this tent works well. It is roomy; comfortable;
          easy to use; and easy to
          > set up and take down. It also meets my needs of being a single
          walled, free standing, two
          > person tent. It has held up to all the weather that has come its
          way, including strong
          > winds, heavy rain, snow, and some hail. I've been happy with this

        • selenasal
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
            Please ignore this post until I can update it. If anyone has anything they'd like me to add
            specifically, please do tell, though.