Owner review - REI POWER STRETCH SHIRT

  • samstamey
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2008
      REI POWER STRETCH SHIRT
      BY SAM STAMEY
      OR
      February 22, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Sam Stamey
      EMAIL: samstamey@...
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Santa Rosa, CA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Backpacking background: I started backpacking two years ago with my
      wife and two children (ages 8 and 10 at the time) and have been trying
      to put in a much backpacking as we can each year. Most of our
      backpacking has been in the Sierras and the Northern California Coast.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: www.rei.com
      MSRP: US$75.00
      Listed Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
      Measured Weight: 10 oz (283 g)
      Other details:49% polyester/38% nylon/13% spandex
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image from
      REI.com">>

      FIELD USE

      This shirt is worn two to thee times a week in various activities
      ranging from lounging around the house, jogging on the streets and
      Cross Country, hiking the local state parks and backpacking.
      I bought this shirt for a base or mid layer for backpacking but also
      like to use it for day to day activities.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Shirt">>

      SUMMARY

      This shirt is light and very packable. Stretches where needed and
      always comes back to the correct shape. 13% spandex makes for a very
      comfortable fit even though the shirt is snug.
      Medium size fits me perfect in the sleave length and snug everywhere
      else but not too snug. I also have a black version of this shirt which
      fits looser than this orange one.

      Fabric is very soft and warm on the inside and soft on the outside.
      Almost a smooth as a softshell jacket but softer and not as good at
      cutting the wind as a softshell . The outside does not collect lint,
      leaves, dirt, etc like fleece does.

      My fears were that the fabric would get snagged by brush while hiking
      or backpacking but the shirt did fine even while I was hiking through
      brush. The shirt felt good under a 40 pound backpack. The shirt is
      sewn with flat seams which result in shoulders that do not have heavy
      seams for your pack to crush into your collar bones.The half zip is
      great for controlling heat and ventilation. I hiked half a day with
      the shirt on under the pack it 65+ degree weather without getting too
      hot. and was able to lounge around camp with the shirt and a
      undershirt well into the evening without getting cold.

      This shirt is so soft and breathable that I have found myself sleeping
      in it on more than one occasion. Because of flat seems and soft outer
      shell with nothing to snag on my sleeping bag.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Size
      Half Zip works well for regulating heat
      Very light
      Soft and warm
      Flat Seams

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The only item I have found that I do not like is the top of the zipper
      on my orange version was scratching my neck when I had it zipped up
      all the way. I was able to take a finger nail file and smooth it down.
      I did not have this problem with the black version of the shirt.

      SIGNATURE

      Sam Stamey
      samstamey@...

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Sam Stamey

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008

          reviews before submission.

          Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
          backpackgeartest.org).

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
            > EDIT: Owner review - REI POWER STRETCH SHIRT

            Hi Sam, my name is André Corterier, a German national and resident
            (though currently on location in Tokyo) and one of the (mostly)
            friendly OR Editors at BackpackGearTest.org - welcome!

            I say "mostly" friendly because we're a bit overworked right now and
            that makes us a bit grumpy. We here at BackpackGearTest.org pride
            ourselves on pretty high standards and do try to live up to them.
            Sorry it took so long to get your first OR edited.

            I mention the high standards (and more importantly, the somewhat
            peculiar customs) here at backpackgeartest just to give you a heads-
            up: Getting the first (and sometimes the second) OR whipped into a
            shape where it can finally be uploaded and you can start to apply for
            gear tends to take a bit longer (and a good bit more work) than one
            first anticipates. But if you decide (now) that you want to stick
            with it regardless and become a veteran tester, then I guarantee you
            will find it well worth it.

            I was in your shoes four years ago. I'm happy to be here now. I get
            out more than I otherwise would, I'm part of a cool community, I'm
            the guy in my circle of acquaintances people turn to for gear advice,
            and I've accumulated some gear I couldn't possibly have afforded
            (unless I would have spent the time it takes to write the reports
            flipping burgers - but I'd much rather write reports on cool
            backpacking gear).

            That said (just so you get an idea where I come from), let's go
            through your OR draft for the first time (there tend to be several
            revisions on the first OR). First off though - Kudos (whatever those
            are) for having figured out the thing about the Report Writer. I see
            you've actually read some of the stuff that's on our site, that's a
            big point in your favour and will save you some grief. In case you've
            even delved into the Bylaws already, you will know that my edits will
            take the following format:

            EDIT - something you are required to change, due to a typo, grammar
            or house rules (which will become obvious over time, though they are
            mostly discussed in the Bylaws as well);
            Edit - something that struck me as off or odd, that you are requested
            to consider changing, though the final call stays with you;
            Comment - something I couldn't keep to myself.

            Without further ado:

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "samstamey" <samstamey@...>
            wrote:

            EDIT: Please upload the HTML version (which the Report Writer will
            generate for you) to the test folder (http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa - you
            will have to be logged in to upload) and include a shortlink (snipurl
            or tinyurl) to the HTML version with your next post. Please include
            the pictures in your upload.

            Comment: Should you have problems with your upload, the good folks at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/ are always willing
            to help. Should there be other questions, respond to this post or
            email me sideband if it's something short, or request a mentor by
            posting a "Mentor Request" to this list and copying it to
            mentor@...

            > REI POWER STRETCH SHIRT

            Comment: Taking an item of apparel for your first OR is a good move,
            too. Take something moderately more involved for your second. Leave
            packs and such stuff for later. Just my .02 EUR (currently .031 USD).

            > BY SAM STAMEY
            > OR

            EDIT: That's our short form. Please spell out "Owner Review"

            > February 22, 2008

            Comment: Did I mention I'm sorry it took so long?

            > TESTER INFORMATION
            >
            > NAME: Sam Stamey
            > EMAIL: samstamey@...
            > AGE: 41
            > LOCATION: Santa Rosa, CA
            > GENDER: m
            > HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
            > WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

            EDIT: For a shirt like this, please include at least your standard
            clothing size. Measuring your chest and waist and neck circumference
            would be a bonus.

            Edit: I assume the conversions are from the Report Writer, though
            there's something weird going on - the height conversion is off, 6 ft
            are equal to 1.83 m, compare
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html
            If you're gonna change it, you might as well change the weight
            conversion to simply 77 kg - the extraneous extra digits are
            superfluous. But it's not such a big deal, so in case you don't know
            how to change the txt or html code the Report Writer puts out, you
            can leave it as it is.

            > Backpacking background: I started backpacking two years ago with my
            > wife and two children (ages 8 and 10 at the time) and have been
            trying
            > to put in a much backpacking

            EDIT: ... to put in *as* much backpacking ...

            as we can each year. Most of our
            > backpacking has been in the Sierras and the Northern California
            Coast.

            EDIT: ... and *on* the ...

            EDIT: your bio is short and to the point, which is good. It is a
            little short on information, however. Can you give me another
            sentence on who carries the gear - how much gear are you carrying,
            and do y'all base camp near a car or carry your shelter? An idea of
            the usual altitudes of your trips might be good too, and whether you
            backpack just in summer, during three or all seasons. If you can do
            all that and not go over 100 words, you're golden.
            :-)

            > PRODUCT INFORMATION
            >
            > Manufacturer: REI
            > Year of Manufacture: 2007
            > Manufacturer's Website: www.rei.com
            > MSRP: US$75.00

            EDIT: US$ 75.00

            > Listed Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
            > Measured Weight: 10 oz (283 g)
            > Other details:49% polyester/38% nylon/13% spandex
            > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image from
            > REI.com">>
            >
            > FIELD USE
            >
            > This shirt is worn two to thee times a week in various activities
            > ranging from lounging around the house, jogging on the streets and
            > Cross Country, hiking the local state parks and backpacking.
            > I bought this shirt for a base or mid layer for backpacking but also
            > like to use it for day to day activities.

            EDIT: Not good enough. How long have you had it? That is, how much
            use has it seen? What kind of weather? Under what sort of other
            layers have you been wearing it?

            > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Shirt">>
            >
            > SUMMARY

            Edit: To me, a summary should be at the end of a report (and you have
            a bunch of other things to report on that you need to summarized,
            please don't offer our reader only a list of field experience and a
            summary. You'll need a few other headlines along the lines of Fit,
            Warmth, Breathability, Comfort, Durability or something along those
            lines.

            > This shirt is light and very packable. Stretches where needed and
            > always comes back to the correct shape. 13% spandex makes for a very
            > comfortable fit even though the shirt is snug.
            > Medium size fits me perfect in the sleave length and snug everywhere
            > else but not too snug. I also have a black version of this shirt
            which
            > fits looser than this orange one.
            >
            > Fabric is very soft and warm on the inside and soft on the outside.
            > Almost a smooth as a softshell jacket but softer and not as good at
            > cutting the wind as a softshell . The outside does not collect lint,
            > leaves, dirt, etc like fleece does.
            >
            > My fears were that the fabric would get snagged by brush while
            hiking
            > or backpacking but the shirt did fine even while I was hiking
            through
            > brush. The shirt felt good under a 40 pound backpack. The shirt is
            > sewn with flat seams which result in shoulders that do not have
            heavy
            > seams for your pack to crush into your

            EDIT: This is a broadcast by the Projection Police: The word "you" is
            sort of a no-no at backpackgeartest.org, and unless you really want
            to address the reader as a stylistic device. Your sentence above
            tells me that *your* shirt has seams which do not crush into *my*
            shoulders. Now it so happens that I'm a lightweight packer and
            therefore generally carry a pack which doesn't crush into anything.
            Which serves only to illustrate that assuming other's experience with
            the same gear would necessarily equal our experience to be logically
            flawed.
            To cut a long story off at the knees: When we ask you to present your
            own experience, it is best to stick with phrasing it like "the shirt
            has flat seams, and I have not noticed any chafing on them, even
            though my pack has the tendency to drive thick seams into my
            shoulders".

            > collar bones.The half zip is

            EDIT: ... bones. The ...

            > great for controlling heat and ventilation. I hiked half a day with
            > the shirt on under the pack it

            EDIT: pack *in* ...

            65+ degree

            EDIT: conversions please, as in: temps of 65 degrees F (18 C) and up,

            > weather without getting too
            > hot. and was able

            EDIT: hot. *I* was able ...

            > to lounge around camp with the shirt and a
            > undershirt

            EDIT: and *an* undershirt

            > well into the evening without getting cold.
            >
            > This shirt is so soft and breathable that I have found myself
            sleeping
            > in it on more than one occasion. Because of flat seems

            EDIT: *seams*

            and soft outer
            > shell with nothing to snag on my sleeping bag.

            EDIT: Yes? What happened because of that?

            > THINGS I LIKE
            >
            > Size
            > Half Zip works well for regulating heat
            > Very light
            > Soft and warm
            > Flat Seams
            >
            > THINGS I DON'T LIKE
            >
            > The only item I have found that I do not like is the top of the
            zipper
            > on my orange version was scratching my neck when I had it zipped up
            > all the way. I was able to take a finger nail file and smooth it
            down.
            > I did not have this problem with the black version of the shirt.

            Edit: Now this reads like a summary (the likes/dislikes section). You
            cover a lot of ground already with this report, but the thing with
            the zipper and the file really should go into the body of the report.

            > SIGNATURE
            >
            > Sam Stamey
            > samstamey@...

            > Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

            Sam, that is one of the better first drafts I've seen lately.
            :-)

            It does still need fleshing out in a couple of places, which I hope I
            have indicated. Once you break the report down into a bunch of
            labelled sections like I suggested and try to report on your
            experience vis-à-vis each of these issues, I'm sure you'll find that
            your report then presents a more complete picture of your experience
            with this product.

            Once you've done that, please upload an HTML version with pictures to
            the test folder. Once you've done that, please repost the text
            version with a shortlink to the test folder item here, by responding
            to this edit and substituting "REPOST" for my "EDIT".

            I know, that's a bunch of things to do. But once you've jumped
            through all of those hoops, you'll be a lot closer to uploading. I'll
            give it a second round of edits, and we lather, rinse, repeat, until
            it's ready (which might not take more than that second edit, though
            sometimes edits have taken four or five revisions).

            Again, good work so far. I hope to see your second draft around soon!

            Yours truly,

            André
            OR Editor