Trademark symbols

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2008
      > Edit: we are asked not to use the Copyright or Trademark symbols in
      > our reviews and reports, just to capitalize them.

      My understanding (or memory) of the law on the subject from writing patents
      many years ago is:

      * Using the trademark or copyright symbol on the word concerned the first
      time it is used is sufficient

      * Having the first letter of the word capitalised (every time) is also
      sufficient.

      So if the writer makes sure the first use has the symbol and that every
      other use has a capital, we should be well covered, and the doc does not
      look cluttered.

      Fwiiw
      cheers
      Roger
    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2008
        Roger,
        I commonly follow your first approach in my reports and general
        technical and legal writing. For BGT purposes I believe that the
        second is OK too though there are trademark owners who'd say that it
        might not be strictly within US trademark law.
        When I first joined BGT I discussed this subject off-list with
        someone (Rick Allnut I think), as I occasionally advise my clients
        on trademark law. I invite him (or you) to contact me again if
        further discussion is appropriate.
        Cheers, Richard

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"