OWNER REVIEW - MSR Pocket Rocket

  • Josh Coatsworth
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
      MSR POCKET ROCKET
      BY JOSHUA COATSWORTH
      OR
      February 03,
      2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Joshua Coatsworth
      EMAIL: jcoatsworth@...
      AGE:
      28
      LOCATION: Newmanstown, PA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80
      m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I started backpacking 10 years ago and
      now run a hiking and camping group at the high school I teach at. We have won
      numerous awards including educator of the year. I usually hike in local areas
      of the AT during all four seasons.

      PRODUCT
      INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: MSR - Mountain Safety Research
      Year of
      Manufacture: 2001
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com
      MSRP: US$
      39.99
      Listed Weight: 3 oz (86 g)
      Measured Weight: 3 oz (stove only, no
      case) 4 oz (including case)
      Fuel: MSR IsoPro Isobutane Canister
      (Approximately 60 minutes per canister)

      FIELD USE

      The MSR Pocket Rocket was used on multiple day
      backpacking trips on local parts of the AT between Lebanon, PA and Hamburg, PA.
      The temperatures varied from 30 degrees fahrenheit to about 90 degrees
      fahrenheit. The stove has been used throughout all of the elements from very
      gusty winds to heavy downpours.

      SUMMARY

      The MSR Pocket Rocket is
      a very compact canister stove that is easy to stowe and provides great boiling
      times. The stove fold up into a triangular plastic protective case that can be
      fit into any small space in your pack. The height of the stove packed is about
      4" and the width is about 2". It has no igniter and MSR offers no option for
      one on this model stove. The stove is controlled by a fold out mechanism that
      is used to control your flame. It also offers a wind deflector that is suppose
      to shield light winds. This stove uses resealable isobutane
      canisters.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Pros:
      * Very small and easy to
      stowe
      * Lightweight and durable
      * Easy to use

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Cons:
      * No Igniter
      * Flame is
      inconsistent when canister is cold
      * Wind deflector does
      nothing

      SIGNATURE

      Joshua Coatsworth
      Teacher and Avid
      Backpacker and Camper

      This report was created with the BGT
      Report Generator.
      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

    • Mark McLauchlin - Swan Valley IT
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
        Hi Joshua,

        Not that im an expert but seems a little light..

        I'm sure one of the mods will pick it up,

        Do you have a mentor as yet?

        Cheers

        _____

        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear. <http://www.msrgear.com> com
[...]

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin - Swan Valley
          IT" <mark@...> wrote:

          > Not that im an expert but seems a little light..

          > I'm sure one of the mods will pick it up,

          Hello Mark,

          Per the Survival Guide member comments are welcome on both the reviews
          and test reports. But only "after" the editor or test monitor has
          addressed it first. It makes for less confusion and running around in
          circlesÂ…

          Thanks,

          Ray
        • Mark McLauchlin - Swan Valley IT
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
            Sorry Ray, I apologize.

            Cheers

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
              Welcome to BackpackGearTest. Thank you for your Owner Review, and
              your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now
              your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for
              editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a
              bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing
              process. At this point you have two options.
              1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
              experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
              If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
              request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
              K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
              in the subject line.

              2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out
              in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below).
              In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently
              approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

              Regardless of which option you take, you do have a good start here
              and we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards
              are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your
              review again in the near future.

              Edit Administration Manager