EDIT: REPOST: Owner Review - Black Diamond Powerstretch Gloves - Yi-Jien Hwa

  • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6 10:15 AM
      Yi-Jien,

      OK, here is the second round of edits!

      Because there are more than just a few, you need to correct these and do another REPOST. When you repost, make sure that you have in the subject
      line "REPOST: Owner Review - Product Name - Your Name". Your name and the manufacturer's name always needs to be in the subject line for reviews, reports, edits, etc.

      First off, when you post and repost, you MUST put a link in the e-mail to that file location so the editor can view the uploaded file. This link should always be
      posted in your ORs first thing so the editors can check the HTML at the same time as the text.

      My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand anything I've written.

      Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards
      [because the Editor says so!]
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way [unless
      you seriously object with good reason]
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
      of some sort as a result.

      Kathy Waters
      BGT OR Editor

      Measured Weight: 1.8 oz (51 g) - Men's Large (Siu Yin's is 1.5 oz (45
      g) - Women's Small)
      EDIT: Delete your wife's measured weight. You are only reviewing your gloves

      They are made from midweight
      <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
      "http://www.polartec.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/210" LINK TEXT
      = "Polartec Power Stretch">>, and the palms have cowhide leather sewn
      on, with the overall result being a sweet, professional feel and look
      to them.

      EDIT: Delete the HYPERLINK. No outside links are permitted within the reviews/report except for the home page link of the manufacturer of the item reviewed.

      My pair (Men's L), and my wife's (Women's S).
      EDIT: Delete the picture of your wife's gloves. This is YOUR review.

      They have served me well on over a hundred and fifty
      miles of backpacking in Isle Royale, the Great Smokey Mountains,
      Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and Kentucky's Red River Gorge, as
      well as on an almost daily basis during the Fall and Winter.
      EDIT: You need metric conversions for "hundred and fifty miles".

      Despite temperatures that dropped into the teens at night and in the early
      morning, these gloves were the way to go while packing in the Smokies.

      EDIT: You need metric conversions for "teens".

      They provided whole-day comfort, except at night, when I would pull on
      my shell gloves and for more delicate camp chores like bear-bagging
      where it was way too cold for these gloves--they were still way better
      than nothing.

      Edit: This sentence is too long and very confusing. Can you please
      break it up?

      Even my perennially cold-digited wife reports that as long as she stayed
      moving, she never found her hands to be cold.
      EDIT: Delete this sentence. The OR is to reflect your experiences.

      While hiking in Isle Royale, I was getting blisters with my improvised
      walking stick, so I pulled them on in day temperatures in the high 50s
      to low 70s (15-21 C) and voila, no more blisters and comfortable and
      dry hands. In terms of the upper limit of the comfort range of these
      gloves, I found them comfortable while hiking in the 60s (15-20
      C)--once it reached the low to mid 70s (22-24 C) they began to get
      hot. Honestly, I'm not sure whether my hands don't sweat wearing them
      in lower temperatures, or whether they wick the sweat away, because in
      either case, my hands don't emerge feeling sticky or grimy at all. The
      only time I felt sweaty in them was in Hawaii Volcanoes when we were
      hiking down to the beach, and the mercury began to rise above 75 (24
      C) or so. Otherwise, I never felt sweaty in these gloves. Whlie
      hiking, I would rate these gloves as comfortable from 20-70 (-5 to 22
      C); while resting however, these gloves are not comfortable at
      anything below 40-50 (4-10 C)--you will either want to pull on a pair
      of shells, or get on the trail again.
      EDIT: You need to add the "F" for Fahrenheit to all the temperatures that are F. Any where you have a measurement, you must have a corresponding abbreviation and a metric conversion.

      EDIT: Add "National Park" to "Hawaii Volcanoes".

      EDIT: Correct spelling is "While".

      EDIT: Delete "you" and change it to reflect your own experience.

      While riding my bicycle around campus in the 30s and 40s (-1 to 10 C), these
      gloves help a little, but my hands are inevitably chilled. Once we are
      into the 50s (10-15 C) however, they are ok on a bike (which is on
      average 15-40mph 30-60kph).

      EDIT: You need to add the "F" for Fahrenheit to all the temperatures that are F. Any where you have a measurement, you must have a corresponding abbreviation and a metric conversion.

      Edit: Since you have the speed within a parenthesis, it would read easier if you put a slash (/) between the two speeds. i.e., "15-40 mph/30-60 kph"

      While Siu Yin and I were hiking on a ridgetop on
      the Smokies, even with the wind, they were ok while packing in the
      20s.

      EDIT: You need to add the "F" for Fahrenheit to all the temperatures that are F. Any where you have a measurement, you must have a corresponding abbreviation and a metric conversion.

      Keeping breaks short, or shell gloves handy
      solves the problem and is good for your thermal (and therefore food)
      efficiency.
      EDIT: The dreaded "your". Change to reflect your own experiences.

      As you might expect, the grip of the fingers is
      just ok as the material is a bit slick, but it worked fine for most
      tasks.

      EDIT: The dreaded "you". Change to reflect your own experiences.

      After only 3 months of use, there is more piling appearing on my
      pair of gloves than I would like (as you can see from the pictures).
      Siu Yin's pair is better, for whatever reason--possibly she's just
      gentler!

      EDIT: Delete the reference to Siu Yin. It's a review of your gloves.

      Edit: Do you mean "pilling" - that's when little balls of fuzz develop?

      These gloves are so good however, that I am returning mine to REI for
      a new pair in the hope that the next pair lasts a little longer.

      EDIT: Change "REI" to "the retailer" or "the store".

      We tried like 10 different brands of
      liner-type gloves at an outfitter and we liked these best.

      EDIT: Change "we" to "I" to reflect your own experiences.

      - Piling and durability issues.
      EDIT: Change to "Pilling".