REPOST: OWNER REVIEW-Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket-Peter Spiller

  • phspiller
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi Kathy,

      Thanks for editing my review, and for the encouragement. I have made
      the corrections as indicated in the edit, and have posted the new
      HTML at the following URL:

      I have also gone through with a fresher set of eyes and cleaned up the
      language a little. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I have
      mused any thing else up. I must have written this report before
      dinner as to all the references to dessert :)

      Thanks again, and here is the text of my report:

      Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket
      January 22, 2008

      Owner Review By: Peter Spiller

      Personal Biography:

      Name: Peter Spiller
      Age: 37
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)
      Email address: phspiller@...
      City, State, Country: La Mesa, CA U.S.
      Website: www.outsidesd.com
      Backpacking Background: I have been camping and hiking avidly since
      childhood. In the last several years I have become more passionate
      about backpacking and kayaking, and have become a Chapter Outing
      Leader for the Sierra Club. I am also the Car-Camp Coordinator for the
      "Wilderness Basics" course held annually in San Diego. I day hike
      locally most every weekend both alone, with other adults, and with my
      children. I also plan and execute several longer-term trips each
      year, including many multi-day trips to the Anza-Borrego Desert, the
      Grand Canyon, Snowshoeing in the Sierra Nevada's, and a
      father-daughter trip to Yosemite.

      Product information:

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear MH Epic Jacket-from the Mountain
      Hardwear Website
      photo courtesy of Mountain Hardwear
      Manufacturers Website: http://www.mountainhardwear.com
      Listed Weight: 13oz (390 g)
      Delivered Weight: 15 oz (425 g)
      Purchased: January 2007
      Manufacturers Description: (from the website) Superlight, fully
      waterproof, breathable backcountry shell with a Conduit™ Silk laminate.

      Field Information:

      Field Locations:

      The Mountain Hardwear Epic jacket is primarily used in San Diego
      County, as well as one trip to Santa Catalina Island. This Epic jacket
      has also traveled to the High Sierras for a 10-day car camp trip, as
      well as a 3-day Father Daughter trip to Yosemite. My Epic jacket
      functions as a integral part of my 10-essentials. I carry it in my
      pack during the majority of my day hikes, and it is my primary shell
      for all seasons other than winter.

      Field Conditions:

      The conditions vary from mild sea level chaparral, to oak and pine
      forests with substantially more temperature fluctuation . San Diego
      County has a diverse climate, and the Epic Jacket has seen it all.
      The coast has a tendency to have mild temperatures and damp air.
      While the desert at opposite edge of the county is dry and windy. A
      bit of winter snow and rain is thrown in from the mountain range at
      the center of the county. Precipitation in San Diego County tends to
      be sparse, but frequent enough to effectively evaluate this jacket.
      The Sierra Nevada Mountains in central California has thunderstorms
      rolling through almost every summer afternoon, dropping precipitation
      almost daily, and is a perfect climate to test a rain shell.

      Field Report:

      I purchased my Mountain Hardwear Epic rain jacket as my primary rain
      jacket for backpacking and day hiking. This jacket has traveled with
      me on virtually all my trips from the Anza-Borrego Desert in winter,
      to a soggy day-hike on Santa Catalina Island, to the unpredictable
      thunderstorms during summer camping in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It
      also has served as my go-to jacket for rainy days around town.

      The Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket is a light breathable rain shell,
      made out of Mountain Hardwear's waterproof, breathable Conduit Silk
      fabric laminated inside a ripstop nylon exterior. The fabric is
      lightweight, and in my experiences lives up to its claim of being
      waterproof and breathable. There is a napoleon pocket on the chest,
      with a water resistant zipper, two hand/venting pockets that run most
      of the length of each side of the front of the jacket, pit zips under
      each arm, and a hood with a small bill that rolls up and stows under a
      tab inside the collar. There are one handed pulls to snug the bottom
      of the jacket, and a one handed pull at the back of the hood to draw
      it closer to the face. The sleeves are adjusted with velcro tabs.
      The exterior is a distinct orange color ripstop nylon fabric patterned
      with maroon and black accents. The interior is very smooth, with the
      Mountain Hardwear nut logo printed repeatedly on the fabric. All of
      the seams are neatly seam taped with a clear tape. I ordered a size
      large jacket, and the fit is as I expected, with enough room for a
      light-insulating layer underneath.

      This jacket has held up well in the 11-months I have owned it. It
      still looks virtually new after being compressed and stuffed in my
      pack, pulled out, worn while crawling through brush and rain, and then
      stuffed wet back into my pack on numerous occasions. All of the
      zippers and accessories function as they did when new, and the fabric
      is still waterproof after a few cleanings. I have not yet found the
      need to reapply a DWR treatment despite the manufacturer's
      recommendation of doing this before a rainy season, and once mid-season.

      The Epic jacket has kept me dry during all the precipitation I
      have encountered, and served as an effective wind shirt in the cold
      dry windy conditions of the Anza-Borrego Desert in the winter. The
      jacket is not ultra-light at 15oz (425 G), but the features it
      provides help justify the weight. One of the most important features
      is a host of ventilation options when performing aerobic activities.
      The pit zips and mesh-lined pockets provide me with a large number of
      configurations to regulate body temperature. The fabric seems to
      breathe well, as I have not experienced any moisture problems in any
      of the situations I have worn it. I do have one issue with the
      mesh-lined pockets. In order for them to function as vents, they
      were designed to run almost the entire length of the jacket. The
      zipper is closed when it is at the top of the pocket, which renders
      them useless as hand warmers unless they are wide open. The
      inclusion of a second zipper pull that opens from the bottom would
      rectify this situation, and allow the use of the pockets in colder

      The hood is very large, and will fit over a helmet, or a hat. I have
      found that the large size cuts off peripheral vision, and has a
      tendency to flop in my face unless tensioned down closely. I believe a
      slightly stiffer bill on the hood may rectify the problem. I also have
      found that rolling up the hood into the provided tab in the collar
      makes the collar very bulky and uncomfortable. I prefer to leave the
      hood draped down my back when not in use.

      The Mountain Hardwear Epic jacket is an outstanding full-featured rain
      shell. It has functioned admirably for me during the last 11-months
      of use in a wide variety of conditions. It has proved itself to be
      waterproof, breathable and durable. It has a great number of
      features built into the jacket that makes it a great choice for an all
      around rain jacket, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone
      looking for a jacket in this category. What follows is a list of pro
      and cons I have found using the jacket:

      • Waterproof

      • Breathable

      • Durable

      • Attractive styling

      • Easy to regulate body temperature in the jacket

      • Floppy hood limits vision

      • Mesh side pockets are not useful as hand warmer pockets in cold weather

      • Bulky uncomfortable collar when hood is rolled into it.