Owner Review - Katadyn Hiker Pro - Thomas Peltier II

  • adrnlnjnky
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008
      Katadyn Hiker Pro Review

      Owner Review
      Katadyn Hiker Pro

      Tester Bio
      Personal Information:

      Name: Thomas Peltier II
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 155 (70.3 kg)
      Waist: 30 in (76 cm)
      E-mail Address:
      <mailto:adrnlnjnky@...>adrnlnjnky@...
      City, State, Country: Bakersfield, California, U.S.A.
      Date: 01/25/2008

      Backpacking Background:
      All my life I have loved to get out and enjoy this amazing planet. As a
      result I have tried to make my life outdoors, most of my life I have
      been a guide of one sort or another. Predominantly I have been a river
      guide but I have engaged in all sorts of outdoors guiding. When I'm
      guiding I often find I have to carry heavier packs with more amenities
      than I would bring for myself. I find that I prefer to do my backpacking
      light weight and simple. This allows me to travel fast and less
      encumbered. Sometimes I like to skip down the trail and I find if my
      pack is to heavy I don't enjoy the skipping very much.

      Product information:

      Manufacturer: Katadyn
      Year: 2005

      As Listed

      Weight 11 oz (312g)
      Dimensions 6.5 x 3 x 2.4 in. 16.5 x 7.6 x 6.1 cm
      Filter medium Pleated 0.3 micron glass-fiber/carbon core
      Removes Protozoa and bacteria
      Output 1 liters per minute
      Cartridge Life Up to 200 gal (189 L)
      Pump strokes per liter 48

      As Tested

      Weight 14 oz (397 g)
      Dimensions 6.5 x 3.0 x 2.5 in 16.5 x 7.7 x 6.3 cm
      Filter medium Pleated 0.3 micron glass-fiber/carbon core
      Output per min +1 L/qts
      Pump strokes L/qt 43
      <photos/0158.jpg>

      <photos/0160.jpg><photos/0151.jpg>

      The Katadyn Hiker Pro is what I would call your classic hand pump water
      filter. It is a canister shaped filter with a push/pull or piston action
      pump handle. Water flows in the bottom and out the top of the filter
      when pumping. There are two clear plastic hoses with quick connect
      adaptors for reaching the water source and water container respectively.
      My filter also came with a nalgene style fill cap for filling drinking
      bottles, a quick connect for a waterbladder, a spounge, a prefilter, and
      a nice zippered pouch to keep it all together; Oh and there's even a
      plastic baggy to keep your outlet hose separate from dirty water!!

      The Quick Connects: <photos/0149.jpg> <photos/0150.jpg>
      & the prefilter <photos/0164.jpg> <photos/0152.jpg>

      The Story

      Once upon a time not so long ago a fire started in the Southern Sierra
      Nevada. Now this is not unusual in the Southern Sierra Nevada, where I
      do most of my hiking, but this fire was special. It grew and grew and
      grew until it had eaten up many thousands of acres along the watershed
      of the Kern River. They called this the McNally fire but for me it was
      the fire that turned the river black.

      Now you see the thing is that I generally use a small inline filter
      while hiking in the Sierra Nevada, but my little inline filter was not
      up to the task of cleaning all the soot and sediment out from the black
      running waters, whatever was I to do (this is were the hiker pro comes
      to the rescue). So I put away my cherished little inline water filter
      and I began to carry the Katadyn Hiker Pro. Sometimes I was able to pull
      water from the river and let the soot and sediment settle a bit before
      pumping my water but that has not always been possible, sometimes I've
      had to just pump right from the murky waters.

      I remember one trip particularly well, it was early spring and we were
      off on our first Forks of the Kern River trip of the season. There would
      be 20 of us all together, hiking first and then rafting, for three days.
      Four of us had hiked in the day before to meet the pack mules with the
      boats, gear and food. It was late afternoon and I was pumping up the
      last of the boats when I overheard a conversation, something about who
      was supposed to have pack the big camp water filter. I decide to mind my
      own business and just keep pumping up my boat, but it soon becomes
      obvious that the water filter had been left behind. Now I've used my
      Hiker Pro on two overnight camping trips and I know it cleans the sooty
      Kern River water up very well but 20 people for three days? Well we were
      going to find out just how much of a workhorse the Katadyn Hiker Pro
      could be, cause we can't exactly serve black water to everybody.

      We filtered and filtered and cleaned and filtered and filtered some
      more. Our routine was to pull the water out with a five gallon bucket
      and let the soot settle, and then pump the relatively clear water into
      clean receptacles. The pump continued to perform with the same fast
      pumping rate right through the trip and it never skipped a beat. We
      pumped approximately seventy gallons of water through the pump in three
      and a half days. When the trip was over I gave the filter a good
      cleaning and lubricated the O-ring, and then put it back in my pack.

      Using the Filter

      Dirty Water Interface

      I've used several filters in my time hiking and I often find that the
      most difficult part of pump filters is getting the hose to sit in the
      water where you want it. The pre-filter on the Hiker Pro is a nice
      plastic bulb that sinks nicely into the water and in combination with
      the foam bobber allows me to get my filter were I want it in the stream.
      The pre-filter is solid of build, works well to keep large objects out
      of my filter and is easy to clean if to much gunk mucks it up.

      The Pumping Action

      HI HO HI HO It's off to pump I go. I HATE PUMPING HI HO HI HO It's off
      to pump I go.

      That is why the rapid filling rate of the Katadyn Hiker Pro makes me a
      happy camper. The pump action is simple and easy to do and the return
      for work performed is, in my opinion, acceptable. (did I mention I'm lazy?)

      I don't really like to pump all that much and usually I can hang my
      water and let gravity do the work. Unfortunately gravity assisted
      filtration is not always an option, so when I have to pump I want a good
      quality filter that works simply and continuously. The Katadyn hiker Pro
      works simply and continuously.

      The Clean Water

      I have three places I send my water, depending on the trip. First is
      into any old water container second is into a nalgene bottle and third
      is into my water bladder. Now for the first and second I tend to just
      attach the big plastic thing <photos\0165.jpg>to the end and go to town,
      it either floats around in the container or attaches to the lid
      depending on the container. For the third place I send water is to my
      water bladder. The ideal connection, for a drinking bladder, is to
      install a quick connect in the middle of the drinking hose. Me I just
      pull the mouthpiece out, stuff it onto the top of the filter and start
      pumping.

      Some Final Thoughts and Comments

      The Katadyn Hiker Pro is a sturdy little water filter. I have been using
      it for several years now and I have, at times, demanded a lot from this
      filter. It has performed well every time and I do enjoy using it; sort
      of. I will still be using my super light gravity type filters whenever I
      can, but when I need the raw cleaning power of a good old pump action
      filter the Katadyn Hiker Pro will be in my backpack; or in my buddy's
      pack if I'm lucky.

      Thanks For Reading
      Thomas Peltier II
    • Brian Tannehill
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008
        Welcome back Dude! Nice review!

        Brian

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2008

          reviews before submission.

          Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
          backpackgeartest.org).

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
            Hello Thomas

            Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
            will take the following format;

            EDIT: must be changed

            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
            to the subject line. Include your name also please. You can also
            place a HTML version in the test folders. Give me a link to it or
            name please.

            Ray

            Katadyn Hiker Pro Review

            ***Date: 01/25/2008

            EDIT: the date needs to be spelled out as the numerical order is
            different around the world.

            ***Backpacking Background:

            EDIT: we are asked to keep the bios under 100 words. Could you trim
            this a bit please?

            ***Manufacturer: Katadyn

            EDIT: it is Katadyn Products Inc

            ***Weight 11 oz (312g)

            EDIT: where are you finding this weight? The site does not even have
            the Pro on it, just the Hiker, and has no weight listed.

            ***Output 1 liters per minute

            EDIT: need metric conversion

            ***The Katadyn Hiker Pro is what I would call your classic hand pump
            water
            filter.

            Edit: as we try to keep the "you" and "yours" out of the reviews it
            would be better to say it as "a" classic-style hand pump water filter.

            ***My filter also came with a nalgene style fill cap for filling
            drinking
            bottles,

            EDIT: Nalgene (needs cap)

            ***a quick connect for a waterbladder, a spounge, a prefilter, and
            a nice zippered pouch to keep it all together;

            EDIT: sponge

            ***Oh and there's even a plastic baggy to keep your outlet hose
            separate from dirty water!!

            EDIT: the "your" thing again

            Edit: you are also missing a couple of items that it comes with. The
            way that it is "cleanable" now (I have been using the Hiker and Pro
            for a long time) is with the filter protector that wraps around the
            glassfiber filter, and the stretch netting sleeve that holds it in
            place. You mention cleaning the filter later in the review. What were
            you cleaning? The filter unit itself is not cleanable.

            *** whatever was I to do (this is were the hiker pro comes
            to the rescue).

            EDIT: "where" the Hiker Pro (and you need a question mark in here,
            you may want to make this two sentences)

            ***I overheard a conversation, something about who was supposed to
            have pack the big camp water filter.

            EDIT: who was supposed to have "packed" the big camp water filter.

            ***The pre-filter is solid of build, works well to keep large objects
            out
            of my filter and is easy to clean if to much gunk mucks it up.

            EDIT: "too" much gunk

            ***(did I mention I'm lazy?)

            EDIT: capitalize "Did"

            ***First is into any old water container second is into a nalgene
            bottle

            EDIT: Nalgene
          • adrnlnjnky
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2008
              rayestrella1 wrote:

> [...]
              > place. You mention cleaning the filter later in the review. What were
              > you cleaning? The filter unit itself is not cleanable.
              >
              > *** whatever was I to do (this is were the hiker pro comes
              > to the rescue).
              >
              > EDIT: "where" the Hiker Pro (and you need a question mark in here,
              > you may want to make this two sentences)
              >
              > ***I overheard a conversation, something about who was supposed to
              > have pack the big camp water filter.
              >
              > EDIT: who was supposed to have "packed" the big camp water filter.
              >
              > ***The pre-filter is solid of build, works well to keep large objects
              > out
              > of my filter and is easy to clean if to much gunk mucks it up.
              >
              > EDIT: "too" much gunk
              >
              > ***(did I mention I'm lazy?)
              >
              > EDIT: capitalize "Did"
              >
              > ***First is into any old water container second is into a nalgene

            • AndrĂ© Corterier
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2008
                Hi Thomas,

                I'd also like to welcome you back and offer you the sincerest
                apologies on behalf of the Editing team. It's been a bit crazy with
                mix-ups and stuff...

                Well, to cut a long story off at the knees, I'm sorry it took a month
                to get back to this. A month. Shudder.

                Well, let's see if we can get this baby jump-started. Unfortunately,
                there also seems to be another mix-up. While you replied
                with "Repost" in the subject line, which was duly picked up and -
                eventually - came to my attention, the body of your report does not
                seem to contain an edited report. I checked the test folder version,
                which dates from my 36th birthday, which made me smile, but isn't
                edited as per Ray's first edit of your OR.

                Did something get lost there? I hope it's just a matter of reposting
                something.

                I'm sorry if we look to you as though our professionalism has slipped
                dramatically since you've been away, I assure you that is not the
                case. In this vein, I should tell you already that it may take a day
                or two before I pick up your response to this, as I'm in Tokyo on a
                rather demanding business trip right now.

                But we'll get this squared away in due time, I'm sure. There's still
                a lot of good stuff coming down the pipe and we can use quality
                report writers like you.

                Later,

                André

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, adrnlnjnky <Adrnlnjnky@...>