Re: REPOST: Owner Review: Princeton Tec QUAD - William Rice

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hi William

      I have your OR for editing, but we would like you to put the complete HTML
      in the Test/OR folder at the same time, and to include the URL to it when
      you post the plain-text source here.

      So, could you please do this and I will then be able to proceed with the
      editing.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
    • dalenmoney
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
        Took me awhile to figure out you cant do pics in the HTML...bu alas
        my brain turned on and I got it.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
        20Princeton%20Tec-%20QUAD/

        Princeton Tech Quad (Headlamp)

        Reviewer Information

        Name: William "Dalen" Rice
        Age: 26.5
        Gender: Male
        Height: 5' 9" (175.26 cm)
        Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
        Email address: tdnarrator@...
        City, State, Country: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
        Date: 12/2/2007

        Backpacking Background: I began backpacking at the age of 13 when I
        first went to summer camp (1993). In 1999, I started working with a
        college tripping organization in outdoor trip logistics (in gear
        preparation), and then as a leader. My most frequented hiking
        locations are in the Carolina Appalachians and the Smoky Mountains
        during the cold early spring and the summer. I stopped being a trip
        leader in 2004, and now I average about 2 backpacking trips and 2 day
        hikes per year. I carry between 25 and 35 lbs (11.3-15.8 kg) on
        multi-day trips.

        Product Information
        Manufacturer: Princeton Tech
        Year of Manufacture: 2006
        Listed weight with batteries: 3.386 Ounces (96 Grams)
        Measured weight with batteries: 3.53 Ounces (100 Grams)
        Listed Dimensions: 2.4"x6.2"x1.9" (6.1x15.7x4.86 mm) plus an elastic
        headband
        Measured Dimensions: 2.0"x2.0"x3.5" (5.08x5.08x8.89 cm) packed with
        wrapped band
        Battery Type: AAA (Duracell Alkaline included) x3
        MSRP $30.00-39.99 (not listed at manufacturer's website)

        Manufacturer's Claims
        Power: 21 Lumens
        Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): not listed
        Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 150 hours (Flash), 50 hours (High),
        70 hours (Medium), 150 hours (Low)
        Illumination distance: 12m, 18m, 28m (39.4 ft, 59 ft, 91.8 ft)

        The Quad comes in a plastic hanging molded pack full assembled. It
        includes the batteries but you have to put them in. A 1" thick
        elastic band comes with the headlamp and is already attached. Spare
        bulbs were not included.

        Note: I struggled for sometime to try and find out how to change the
        LEDs. The website had no "Owners Manual" type information, so I was
        even more frustrated because I don't remember it coming with a
        manual. So, I finally gave up and emailed P-Tech. They responded
        within 3 days and told me that the bulbs are not replaceable, but if
        they ever fail, I can call them and they will replace the entire
        unit. Altogether a really annoying ordeal, but with a great answer
        in the end.

        The case for the light is hard plastic, black in color, with a clear
        front window to the light itself. This front window protects the
        LEDs from damage. The switch is a rubber button on top of the light,
        yellow in color. The band is elastic (1"/2.53 cm wide) and soft.
        The band is attached to the light with a notched hinge, that allows 6
        choices for light angle ranging from straight out to almost straight
        down .

        The Light operates by pressing the rubberized button located on top
        of the lamp. Pressing once will turn it on in the highest mode, and
        subsequent presses will cycle it through the other modes (medium,
        low, flash, then off). A pause of more than a few seconds in between
        presses will stop this cycling mode option and the next press will
        turn the light off. Changing the batteries involves turning a screw
        using either a coin or the plastic piece on the strap adjustment.
        The strap adjustment is a typical slide buckle with a double back.
        There is also a red LED on the front of the light that indicates
        battery life. As the battery wear down, the light itself will
        sometimes give a 3 flash set in the middle of use, but does not do
        this more than once every half hour.

        Field Experience:
        I have used the Quad on a few overnight trips. It has worked great
        for me fiddling around camp. For me, the light output, even in the
        low setting, has been mostly adequate. On low, the light creates a
        42" (1.068 m) circle at 16" (0.41 m) distance from the ground. It
        does illuminate outside this circle, but trails off rapidly. This
        has made it easy for me to cook with and to look for things in my
        tent. I have actually rarely needed to use more than the low setting
        due to the brightness. I have put it on high for midnight bathroom
        breaks while trekking away from a campsite and finding my way back.
        As the batteries wear out, the brightness differences seem to fade,
        but light output is still substantial. I have left it out on a
        picnic table overnight, and morning dew didn't affect its
        performance. It has also been completely submersed in water while
        being cleaned, and the circuitry was not compromised. I have dropped
        it on packed gravel/sand type ground from about waste height several
        times without any permanent damage. I have also stepped on it in the
        dark in tennis shoes and had it not crush or get damaged. At times I
        have even forgotten that the light is on my head because it is so
        light and comfortable. The trips it has gone on me with did not have
        any rain or snow or other bad weather. (just 50 F degree nights and
        80 F degree days, 10 C to 26.6 C). Other than outdoors, I use it in
        my room to read by at night. Again, I use it at low, because the
        light output is so good and consistent (thanks to the regulated
        LED).

        Summary
        The Quad has been a really rugged, lightweight light for my
        backpacking and indoor, hands-free usages. Since I don't use much
        light, the low mode has provided me with really really long life for
        the first set of batteries. It is also extremely comfortable and I
        don't get bothered with having an accessory on my head as I have with
        other lamps.

        Things I like:
        1. Lightweight
        2. Bright.
        3. Comfortable.

        Things I don't like:
        1. Not able to replace LEDs.
      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
          Hi Will

          > Took me awhile to figure out you cant do pics in the HTML...bu alas
          > my brain turned on and I got it.
          ???
          Not sure what you mean here, but you can certainly include pics in the
          reports.

          You will have to include at least one in your second OR and in all Test
          Reports, and we very strongly encourage you to do so in your first OR if at
          all possible. If you are having problems with how to do this, let me know
          and maybe I can help. There are a few known 'standard problems'.

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
          BGT Editor
        • dalenmoney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
            I used outlook express to make my html document, but it didnt let me
            copy and paste my picture from my .doc file. i did upload a picture
            to the folder, but I dont know how to get it into the actual file.

            Will

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
            <r.caffin@...> wrote:

            > Hi Will
            >
            > > Took me awhile to figure out you cant do pics in the HTML...bu
            alas
            > > my brain turned on and I got it.
            > ???
            > Not sure what you mean here, but you can certainly include pics in
            the
            > reports.
            >
            > You will have to include at least one in your second OR and in all
            Test
            > Reports, and we very strongly encourage you to do so in your first
            OR if at
            > all possible. If you are having problems with how to do this, let
            me know
            > and maybe I can help. There are a few known 'standard problems'.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Roger Caffin
            > BGT Editor

          • Roger Caffin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2008
              > I used outlook express to make my html document, but it didnt let me
              > copy and paste my picture from my .doc file. i did upload a picture
              > to the folder, but I dont know how to get it into the actual file.
              Taken off-line
              Roger
            • dalenmoney
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 11, 2008
                What does "taken off-line" mean?

                Do I need to do something? Is this code for something? Am I being
                laid off? so scared...and all I wanted to do was test gear.

                Will
              • Jason Boyle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 11, 2008
                  Just means he will email you. Offline just means off list and between
                  the two people.

                  Jason B

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "dalenmoney" <tdnarrator@...>