Nancy Griffith Please Read - Re: OR - Granite Gear Vapor Trail -

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008

      reviews before submission.

      Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
      backpackgeartest.org).

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hello Nancy,

        I'm a big fan of the Granite Gear Virga, the Vapor Trail's smaller
        cousin. I'm on my second (the first got a bit shredded on bushwhacks,
        though I mean to patch it up one of these days). Much the sort of wear
        you report, only worse!

        Please correct, and upload to

        http://tinyurl.com/yufrpy

        I don't think any of the errors or omissions merit reposting here.

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Griffith
        <bkpkrgirl@...> wrote:

        > My second Owner Review is posted in the test folder for the Granite
        Gear Vapor Trail backpack.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Granite%20Gear%20Vapor%20Trail%20-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

        > Tiny url
        > http://tinyurl.com/yphfx3
        >

        > GRANITE GEAR VAPOR TRAIL
        > BY NANCY GRIFFITH
        > OR
        > January 02, 2008
        >
        > TESTER INFORMATION
        >
        > NAME: Nancy Griffith
        > EMAIL: bkpkrgirl@...
        > AGE: 41
        > LOCATION: Northern California
        > GENDER: f
        > HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
        > WEIGHT: 132 lb (59.90 kg)
        >
        > I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania and
        since then in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now in the Sierra
        Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops
        from a few days to a week. I mostly hike in the summer and fall.
        I've recently discovered the virtues of lightening the load by
        updating some older gear, but I'm not an ultralight backpacker …yet.

        ### EDIT: backpacker... yet.

        "http://www.granitegear.com" LINK TEXT = "www.granitegear.com">>
        > MSRP: US$160
        > Listed Weight: 30.4 oz (862 g)
        > Measured Weight: 30.4 oz (862 g)
        > Other details: Tested version was Short Torso size
        > The Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack has one large compartment that is
        accessed only from the top which is closed with a drawstring, then by
        rolling the excess material and securing two straps; one strap front
        to back and one strap from side to side. There is no top lid
        compartment. The main compartment has a volume of approximately 2600
        cu in (42.6 L) with the remainder in the extension sleeve for a total
        of 3,300 cu. in. (54 L) (short size). There are two side pockets made
        of stretchy material. Inside the main compartment is a pocket with
        compression straps for a hydration pack and a hydration port on one
        side. The shoulder strap is attached

        ### EDIT: should this not be "shoulder straps are attached?" There are
        two of 'em.

        (non-adjustable). The suspension system can be adjusted at the
        shoulders with load lifter straps and at the hip belt with stabilizer
        straps.
        > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>

        ### EDIT: Lacking from this section is a mention of the fact that this
        pack uses a polyethylene framesheet, which is pretty significant
        information. Please incorporate this. You might mention how effective
        the PE sheet is for weight transfer. Also, if the image comes from
        GG's website, please acknowledge the fact (if not, not).

        > Lighter weight backpacking is the way to go! This pack saved me
        over 5 lb (2.27 kg) in pack weight alone. That I LOVE. Of course
        there are compromises that must be made for this weight savings. For
        one, it is not as durable as my old pack both in terms of handling
        abrasion and in terms of handling over stuffing.

        ### EDIT: overstuffing

        Secondly, the one main compartment (without any pack top
        compartment) requires some ingenuity in how to store/find smaller items.
        > As for durability, I had to develop the habit of setting down my
        pack with the strap side down and to carefully pack so that hard items
        are not directly touching the inside of the pack. I once set my pack
        down such that the back rubbed a granite boulder. The bear canister
        inside (with no soft padding around it) caused an abrasion on the
        pack. See photo <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE
        CAPTION = "Abrasion close-up">>.

        ### COMMENT: Yup. Been there, done that. It was my MSR kettle in my case.

        > For packing small items, I started carrying my most often used items
        in my pants pockets. The others I placed in the elastic pockets on
        one side of the pack. The other elastic pocket I used for fuel and/or
        a Nalgene bottle. NOTE: the elastic pockets have a hole about 1"
        (2.5 cm) long on the bottom corner of one side, so I had to be careful
        not to put too small of items

        ### EDIT: "items that were too small"

        near that area or they could fall out. I found it to work fine to
        just place them to the other side of that same pocket and the elastic
        held them in place. It was difficult to access the pockets while
        wearing the pack, so I either took it off or had my partner do it.
        > I used the space between the straps and pack for holding either my
        60 oz (1.8 L) or 100 oz (3 L) hydration bladder. It helped to get all
        of the air out before trying to stuff it in. Inserting the bladder
        before loading the pack also helped. I never used the inside pocket
        for the hydration bladder for fear of a water leak, but I did find it
        useful for small items that are rarely used but need to be handy in a
        hurry such as my first aid kit, ace bandage and occasionally, map.
        > My old Madden pack is infinitely adjustable with gel padded shoulder
        straps, so I expected the Vapor Trail to be less comfortable.
        However, surprisingly I found the Vapor Trail to be more comfortable
        and didn't cause the usual hip and shoulder sore spots. This was
        probably just due to my lower overall pack weight. I do wish the
        shoulder straps were adjustable, but the pack was still very
        comfortable. It did take some pack content re-organization to get the
        comfort-level just right. On the first trip, I had some heavier items
        too low in the pack and it was making me feel like I was being pulled
        backwards. Now I pack light clothes/sleeping bag at the bottom,
        heavier cookset/stove higher and between my shoulder blades with
        lighter items toward the outside.
        > The 3,300 cu. in.. (54 L) (short size) includes the extension
        sleeve. However, only a portion of the extension could be used while
        allowing enough material to roll down to maintain water resistance.
        Also, the straps are not long enough to clip if I filled the entire
        extension sleeve. My gear fit easily in the main portion, so I didn't
        use the extension sleeve.

        > SUMMARY
        >
        > Overall, I would recommend this pack for anyone who is able to
        downsize on the amount of gear hauled. It works very well with a
        small load (

        ### EDIT: Omit the parenthesis (it is, in any case, not closed by a
        balancing bracket at the sentence end).

        that can fit in the main compartment of approx. 2600 cu in (42.6 L).
        Its durability and comfort seem well suited for this type of load. I
        carried up to 26.5 lb (12 kg) of gear in this pack with no problems.
        My hiking partner carried up to 33.5 lb (15.2 kg) in the Regular Torso
        size which fit in the main compartment with ease and was comfortable.
        > My favorite thing about the pack is that it keeps me from packing
        too much gear! Granite Gear claims that 40% of AT thru hikers use
        this pack. Whether that is true or not, it means that even a thru
        hiker can fit everything needed in this pack. I saw a PCT thru hiker u
      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hi Ted,

          Thanks for the edits.

          I've uploaded the OR to the backpack folder as noted. The link is below and a text version follows.

          http://tinyurl.com/2pomn3

          This is my 2nd OR, so I think I'm finally a newbie!!!

          Nancy

          GRANITE GEAR VAPOR TRAIL
          BY NANCY GRIFFITH
          OR
          January 07, 2008

[...]

          The Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack has one large compartment that is accessed only from the top which is closed with a drawstring, then by rolling the excess material and securing two straps; one strap front to back and one strap from side to side. There is no top lid compartment. The main compartment has a volume of approximately 2600 cu in (42.6 L) with the remainder in the extension sleeve for a total of 3,300 cu. in. (54 L) (short size). There are two side pockets made of stretchy material. Inside the main compartment is a pocket with compression straps for a hydration pack and a hydration port on one side. The shoulder straps are attached (non-adjustable). The suspension system can be adjusted at the shoulders with load lifter straps and at the hip belt with stabilizer straps. The frame is made with a polyethylene sheet which is covered with padding and attached to the bottom and sides of the pack. This support works well for load transfer.
          Photo courtesy of Granite Gear.

          FIELD USE

          Field information
          I first used the Vapor Trail on an overnight backpacking trip on the Tahoe Rim Trail (Northern Sierra Nevada mountains, CA) from 7300 - 8350' (2225 - 2545 m). It was summer with temperatures in the 50's - 80's F (10 - 27 C). The humidity was low with no rain.
          I also used it on a week-long trip in King's Canyon National Park (Southern Sierra Nevada mountains, CA) from 5,000 - 11,978' (1524 - 3651 m). The temperatures were in the 30's - 80's F (0 - 26.7 C). There was no rain the entire week and only one day of threatening rain. Nights were clear.
          Lighter weight backpacking is the way to go! This pack saved me over 5 lb (2.27 kg) in pack weight alone. That I LOVE. Of course there are compromises that must be made for this weight savings. For one, it is not as durable as my old pack both in terms of handling abrasion and in terms of handling overstuffing. Secondly, the one main compartment (without any pack top compartment) requires some ingenuity in how to store/find smaller items.
          As for durability, I had to develop the habit of setting down my pack with the strap side down and to carefully pack so that hard items are not directly touching the inside of the pack. I once set my pack down such that the back rubbed a granite boulder. The bear canister inside (with no soft padding around it) caused an abrasion on the pack. See photo. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Abrasion close-up">>
          For packing small items, I started carrying my most often used items in my pants pockets. The others I placed in the elastic pockets on one side of the pack. The other elastic pocket I used for fuel and/or a Nalgene bottle. NOTE: the elastic pockets have a hole about 1" (2.5 cm) long on the bottom corner of one side, so I had to be careful not to put items that were too small near that area or else they could fall out. I found it to work fine to just place them to the other side of that same pocket and the elastic held them in place. It was difficult to access the pockets while wearing the pack, so I either took it off or had my partner do it.
[...]

          Overall, I would recommend this pack for anyone who is able to downsize on the amount of gear hauled. It works very well with a small load that can fit in the main compartment of approx. 2600 cu in (42.6 L). Its durability and comfort seem well suited for this type of load. I carried up to 26.5 lb (12 kg) of gear in this pack with no problems. My hiking partner carried up to 33.5 lb (15.2 kg) in the Regular Torso size which fit in the main compartment with ease and was comfortable.
          My favorite thing about the pack is that it keeps me from packing too much gear! Granite Gear claims that 40% of AT thru hikers use this pack. Whether that is true or not, it means that even a thru hiker can fit everything needed in this pack. I saw a PCT thru hiker using this pack this summer.

          THINGS I LIKE

          Light weight
          Very comfortable
          Hydration bladder pocket