OWNER REVIEW- Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoe

  • Chris Salamasick
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2007
      Owner Review Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoes
      Friday, December 21, 2007

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Chris Salamasick
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.88 m (6’ 2”)
      Weight: 76 kg (167 lb)
      Email: chrissalamasick@...
      City: Chicago, Illinois, USA

      Backpacking Background
      I have been hiking for about 1.5 years, and trail
      running and mountain biking for about 6 years. I
      predominantly run on a regular basis (usually 6-20
      miles), and cross country ski. Most of my activities
      tend to be solo, and tend to be shorter trips (1-5
      days).

      I generally carry a lightweight pack of about 15 kg.
      (33 lbs.) for hiking, or a small pack for trail runs
      (water and food). On the majority of runs (under 15
      miles), I only carry a water belt.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Salomon
      Manufacturer's URL: www.salomonsports.com
      Year of manufacturer: 2005
      Color: pewter/asphalt
      Weight: 383 g (13.5 oz.) per shoe, based on size 9
      Year of Purchase: 2005
      Model: XA Pro 3D
      MSRP: $100

      The XA Pro 3D is considered a lightweight
      trail-running shoe. The shoe fits true to size in the
      size 13. It also comes in a pewter/blue and
      pewter/black color, as well as another version with
      gore-tex.

      The sole of the shoe is made of Salomon’s contragrip
      rubber, which seems slightly softer with more grip
      than some other brands. The Ortholite insoles provide
      plenty of additional cushioning to the shoe. It also
      uses a nylon plate in its 3D Advanced Chassis support
      system. The shoe features mesh uppers, and toe and
      heel caps for protection again debris.

      One of the most notable features of the shoe is its
      Kevlar Quickfit lacing system, which tightens with a
      simple pinch and pull of the lacing system. It
      secures the foot very well without slippage, and seems
      to give more lateral support than traditional lacing
      systems.

      Test Location
      I have used these shoes in a wide variety of
      locations, such as rough hiking terrain, sand dunes,
      and icy roads and sidewalks. I have typically used
      them for runs up to 15 miles long, and also for day
      walks through cities. Given that I am on my third
      pair, I have likely put 500+ miles of running and
      walking into this pair.

      On the trail, these shoes are very light but still
      provide all of the support and traction that I need.
      The sole is plenty stiff to handle rocks and roots.
      In rainy and wet conditions, I find my feet getting
      fairly wet, and would therefore strongly consider the
      gore-tex version in the future. The other issue I
      have found with the breathable mesh is that when
      running or hiking in sand dunes, the shoes quickly
      fill up with sand.

      I have found the contragrip soles to give exceptional
      traction in wet and icy conditions. The soles wear
      fairly slowly given the softness of the sole, and
      there is still tread left on mine after many miles. I
      have found that I like to use these rather than
      regular running shoes after a snow or ice storm
      because of the superior traction, as well as the
      support on my ankles.

      In terms of wear, the major issue I have found is in
      the inner heel area of the shoe. The XA Pro 3D uses a
      hard nylon/plastic material to provide ankle and heel
      support. Over time, the inner material has worn
      through to the plastic. This has exposed the plastic,
      which digs into the heel and quickly creates blisters.
      Another area of noted wear is on the mesh on the top
      of the toe box. Each corner wear the shoe flexes with
      each step is beginning to tear open slightly, which
      may be expected with the extensive usage.

      I have also broken the laces on one of the three pairs
      I own. When this happens, Salomon will send you free
      new laces to replace the old ones. I found that
      replacing them was slightly more time consuming than I
      would have liked, but it solves the problem.

      Over time, I have started using these for everyday
      wear and walking (rather than running, as I try to
      replace my running shoes with wear). I really like
      wearing these versus other shoes, as they provide my
      ankles with great support if I’m on rough terrain, and
      great overall support for long walks.

      Things I have liked
      •The quick lace system- although I broke a set, I
      think these laces are far superior to traditional
      lacing systems, and really do help with foot and ankle
      stability.
      •Contragrip soles- These have proven to give me good
      traction in all conditions, and have lasted fairly
      long
      •Lightweight cushioning- These provide me with a good
      level of cushioning for very little weight that I feel
      is fine tuned for trail runs.
      Things I have disliked
      •The durability of the inner-material in the shoe- I
      have worn through the heel area, exposing the
      plastic/nylon heel support.
      •Odor issues- The shoe seems to hold odor more than I
      have with some other running shoes, or my hiking
      boots. I think improvements could be made here.

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hello Chris,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
          will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
          you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
          for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
          experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
          If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
          request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn,
          at mentor@...

          Ray

          ***Ipredominantly run on a regular basis (usually 6-20 miles)

          EDIT: you need metric conversion numbers for all weight and
          measurements

          ***I generally carry a lightweight pack of about 15 kg. (33 lbs.) for
          hiking

          EDIT: no periods after the unit abbreviations; 15 kg (33 lb)

          ***On the majority of runs (under 15 miles), I only carry a water
          belt.

          EDIT: metric conversion please

          ***Weight: 383 g (13.5 oz.) per shoe, based on size 9

          EDIT: is this your measured weight? I see that the listed weight is
          395 g which needs to be here also.

          ***MSRP: $100

          EDIT: I see no MSRP on the site. If it is not from Salomon it should
          just be shown as N/A

          ***It also comes in a pewter/blue and pewter/black color, as well as
          another version with gore-tex.

          EDIT: GORE-TEX is how they spell it. Please check for all instances.

          ***The sole of the shoe is made of Salomon's contragrip rubber

          EDIT: as it is a trademarked name it needs to be spelled the way they
          have it, Contrgrip, please check for all instances, and I would
          suggest saying "material" instead of rubber as I do not think it is
          that. Salomon does not say it any ways.

          ***Test Location

          EDIT: as you are reviewing these shoes, not testing them, can you
          change this to Field Locations or Use Locations please?

          Also you need to give some idea of where you have used them along
          with some field data as far as terrain/trail types, weather
          conditions, temps, elevations etc.

          If you look at the examples you will see that the reviews have
          sections for the product description, the field data, and the actual
          review of the product.

          ***I have likely put 500+ miles of running and walking into this pair.

          EDIT: metric conversion needed
          Comment: that is some awesome wear.

          ***The soles wear fairly slowly given the softness of the sole, and
          there is still tread left on mine after many miles.

          EDIT: after many miles/kilometers