OWNER REVIEW- Jetboil Personal Cooking System (pcs)

  • phspiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
      Jetboil Personal Cooking System (PCS) with coffee press

      Name: Peter Spiller
      Age: 37
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0"
      Weight: 190
      Email address: phspiller@...
      City, State, Country: La Mesa, CA U.S.
      Date: December 28, 2007

      Backpacking Background: I have been camping and hiking avidly since I
      was a child. In the last several years I have become more passionate
      about backpacking and kayaking, and have become a Chapter Outing Leader
      for the Sierra Club. I am also the Car-Camp Coordinator for the
      "Wilderness Basics" course held each year in San Diego, CA. I
      day hike most every weekend in San Diego County both alone, with other
      adults, and with my small children. I also plan and execute several
      longer-term trips each year, including a trip into the Grand Canyon,
      many multi-day trips to the Anza-Borrego Dessert, and Snowshoeing in the
      Sierra Nevada's, and a father-daughter trip to Yosemite.

      Product information
      a. Jetboil
      c. http://www.jetboil.com
      d. listed weight: 15 oz (425 g)
      e. Delivered Weight: 15 oz (425 g)/ 17 oz (482 g) (with coffee
      press)
      f. (from the website) The original Jetboil has sparked a
      revolution in outdoor cooking. Boiling two cups in two minutes at 75-80%
      efficiency, the PCS is twice as fast and uses half as much fuel as
      conventional stoves. The PCS boils up to 50 cups (12 Liters) of water
      from only one Jetpower isobutane/propane micro-canister. Such
      outstanding performance results from the patent-pending FluxRing™
      heat exchanger, which captures and focuses the burner's heat.
      PCS

      The PCS integrates a 1 liter insulated hard-anodized aluminum cooking
      cup, high-performance burner base with built-in piezoelectric igniter,
      drink-through plastic lid, and protective bottom cover that doubles as a
      measuring cup. With all components, including fuel, packed comfortably
      within the cooking cup, the entire PCS is smaller than a Nalgene bottle.
      Stow it in your pack, saddlebag, kayak, fanny pack, or side pocket –
      take it anywhere. At 15 ounces, Jetboil PCS rivals the very lightest
      titanium cooksets and micro-canister stoves.

      Field information:

      a. The Jetboil I have tested has primarily been used in two
      different geographic locations. The first being San Diego County,
      including the Anza-Borrego Desert, and the Laguna Mountain range. I also
      used it in the Sierra Nevadas in central California.
      b. The geography ranges from mild sea level chaparral, to the
      severe winter mountain climates.
      c. I have used the Jetboil during all four seasons including
      summer trips in the Sierras in mild weather, hot San Diego fall trips,
      winter snow camping above 9,000 feet (2800 m) in the Sierras to mild
      spring weather in the Laguna Mountains.
      d. I received the Jetboil personal cooking system with a the
      accessory coffee press as a gift from my children for Christmas 2006,
      and it has been used on more than a dozen trips in the last year. It
      has been my primary backpacking stove since I received it, and has been
      used in a variety of conditions. Its primary use has been to boil water
      to prepare meals and make evening tea, as well as brewing my morning
      coffee. The unit has performed flawlessly in mild conditions, and has
      performed admirably is more severe conditions.

      The first set of trips I used my jetboil in were during a series of
      overnight backpacking trips to the Anza-Borrego Desert, in which the
      weather never got below freezing, and there were never any
      precipitation. The unit worked as advertised during these trips,
      boiling water rapidly, lighting and adjusting perfectly. I did find
      during these trips, it is critical to pay attention to the unit when
      boiling water, as it will boil quickly, and the narrow dimensions of the
      cup will allow you to boil water right out of the top. There is a
      1-liter mark on the approximately half-way up the inside of the cup, and
      this is the maximum amount of water it can boil without overflowing. I
      also found that using fine ground coffee with the press will allow the
      grounds to escape, leaving a crunchy residue to your morning brew. I
      also found that the canister will leave a rust ring on the inside of the
      cup if you pack it right side up with residual moisture in the cup. I
      began to pack the canister in an open Ziploc to prevent this problem.
      Jetboil suggests on their website that packing the canister upside down
      in the cup will also prevent this problem.

      The second set of conditions I used the unit in was during an
      overnight winter snowshoe trip in the Sierras, with the weather being
      fairly cold, and the overnight temps dropping below freezing. I used
      the Jetboil as a means for melting snow for drinking and cooking. The
      cold and/or altitude drastically lengthened the time it took to boil
      water. Although, the time was still comparable to the time it took the
      white gas stoves to boil water in the same conditions. The difference
      was that the white gas stoves were heating a larger volume of water. I
      did keep my gas canisters warm by keeping them inside my coat during
      hiking, and at the foot of my sleeping bag overnight, and insulated the
      cannister from the snow using a small piece of closed cell foam. It
      was also important to "prime" the pot of snow with a little
      water to get it melting.

      The third set of relevant conditions occurred during a multi-day
      trip with my 6-year old daughter in Yosemite National Park in August.
      We used the Jetboil as the only method of cooking during our 4-day trek.
      Fortunately, we are both moderate in our cooking needs while camping,
      and the Jetboil PCS worked well for both of us. The weather was very
      mild during our trek, but we were in altitude including a night over
      8,000 ft (2400m), but this did not seem to affect the units ability to
      boil water quickly, and I was able so satisfy the my personal morning
      coffee needs, as well as my daughters hot-chocolate needs is short time
      with the rapid boiling time of the Jetboil.

      Conclusion:

      The Jetboil Personal Cooking System is an outstanding unit for a
      backpacker requiring a basic food preparation stove that is very easy to
      use, fairly light, packs up compactly, and boils water quickly. If you
      have only one stove, the Jetboil would be hard to beat for its strong
      combination of features. What follow is a pro and con list of the
      Jetboil as I experienced them over the last 12-months:

      Pros:

      - Very easy to use
      - Self-contained fuel canisters
      - Boils water extremely fast
      - Packs down into one self contained unit
      - Built in ignition (no matches or lighters needed)
      - Heat output easily adjusted from rolling boil to simmer
      - Works well in light wind, and only needs a wind screen in very
      windy days

      Cons:
      - not very stable as equipped (you need to purchase a support
      separately to make it stable)
      - Small capacity cooking vessel 32oz (1L)
      - Plastic measuring cup/flux ring protector comes off very easily
      when in pack or transporting.
      - Reduced performance in cold weather

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2008
          > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW- Jetboil Personal Cooking System (pcs)

          Hello Peter,

          and welcome to BackpackGearTest.org!

          My name is André Corterier, I'm a German national and resident and
          have been active with BackpackGearTest.org for the past four years or
          so. It is my pleasure and privilege to be editing your first Owner
          Review. Thanks for stepping forward!

          As you may be aware, BackpackGearTest.org has a number of conventions
          of how we do things, and the primary purpose of the Editing process
          is to make sure that you touch all of the bases (besides having a
          second set of eyes checking for typos and such). Because the
          conventions were sometimes confusing, we've written them down:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php

          We call them the "bylaws". You may wish to check them out,
          particularly the section on Owner Reviews:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=30
          (in fact, you may have done so already).

          The first review(s) tend to take a few iterations before they're
          ready for upload. It's not a hazing ritual, just the time it takes to
          adjust to our format. It can be done pretty quickly if you're on the
          ball and assume that the rules are there for a reason (if something
          is unclear, feel free to ask me or request a mentor, by sending an
          email entitled "Mentor Request" to: mentor@...)

          Okay, I'll keep my initial once-over brief.

          Four points strike me:
          1) lack of metric conversions. Please include metric conversions with
          every measurement you include (this includes your bio). We have a
          handy conversion utility here:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html
          (you can also reach this from the bgt main site, at the bottom of the
          left-hand nav bar.)

          At the bottom of the conversion utility (scroll down) you'll also
          find how we've decided to spell measurement units (no periods, no
          plurals, etc.).

          2) I find the organization of your report a little odd. You use a, b,
          etc. to segment it, but I do not find headings that would tell me
          what information I am supposed to expect. If you're relying on the
          list of required data in the Bylaws, please still spell out what data
          you are listing (like: "Manufacturer: Jetboil, Inc." instead of "a.
          Jetboil").

          3. Projection
          "Projection" is when you tell me what you believe my experience would
          be with a product, like "this makes it really easy for you to do
          this, that or the other thing". Only you don't know. I may be less
          smart of less agile, so we've decided to state things in terms of our
          own experience *only*. This means that where you say that the small
          diameter means you can boil water right over the top we would prefer
          a statement like "I have found that, due to the small diameter of the
          pot, I have (repeatedly?) found water to boil right over the top when
          I filled it to xyz and wasn't watching closely" or something like
          that. Your own words, your own experience. Takes some getting used
          to. It's generally possible to phrase everything you want to without
          use of the word "you".

          4) Test folder HTML version
          I don't know how HTML-savy you are. Posting a review requires posting
          an HTML version to the BGT test folder (more details on this in the
          Bylaws, see above). If you don't know how to make one, there's also
          the handy report writer utility one of our very own code monkeys
          cooked up. It's been found very helpful by a large number of testers
          so far.

          So....

          Phew, that looks like a lot. What I haven't said so far but really
          should is that I like the gist of your review - it seems to cover the
          content we're looking for, is well written and informative. I see no
          problems on that end at all. Congratulations.

          If you would be so kind as to go over the review once again after
          you've digested the above and then repost it with "REPOST:"
          substituted for my "EDIT:" in the subject header, I'll take another
          look at it and we can look at whatever small stuff remains and/or go
          over questions you may have.

          Again, thanks for stepping up to the plate with this well-written and
          informative review. It may seem daunting now, but we'll get the BGT-
          specifics squared away soon enough. Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org.

          André
          BGT OR Editor

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "phspiller" <phspiller@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2008
            Hi Andre',

            Thank you for taking on the task of reviewing my Owner Review. I
            appreciate the time and effort it takes to help me through the process.

            I have made the changes you have requested (I think) including:

            Metric Conversions

            Clearing up the format of the report

            and removing any projection in my report.

            Please let me know if I missed anything.

            You mentioned an HTML version. This should not be a problem for me.
            Do I need to do it now, or when the report has been edited to
            satisfaction? Can I then add pictures to the report?

            I have cleaned up the language in the report a little while doing the
            editing, as well as paring down my background statement to under
            100-words, adding my description of the product, as well as a
            paragraph stating my experience with the unit in the Grand Canyon.

            Please do not hesitate to provide any feedback that you have of my
            report, as I will take it as just that. I enjoy writing, and always
            welcome feedback that will sharpen my skills.

            A couple quick questions.

            Should I provide unit conversions on the text provided by the
            manufacturer? Should I change their listing of units to match the
            bylaws? (i.e. changing ounces to oz)

            Is it appropriate to include a link to my website in my bio to provide
            readers more information on myself, and my outdoor activities?

            Thanks again, and here is my revised report:

            Jetboil Personal Cooking System (PCS) with coffee press

            Name: Peter Spiller
            Age: 37
            Gender: Male
            Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83m)
            Weight: 190 lb (86 kg)
            Date: December 28, 2007

            Backpacking Background:

            I have been camping and hiking avidly since childhood. In the last
            several years I have become more passionate about backpacking and
            kayaking, and have become a Chapter Outing Leader for the Sierra Club.
            I am also the Car-Camp Coordinator for the "Wilderness Basics" course
            held annually in San Diego. I day hike locally most every weekend
            both alone, with other adults, and with my children. I also plan and
            execute several longer-term trips each year, including many multi-day
            trips to the Anza-Borrego Dessert, the Grand Canyon, Snowshoeing in
            the Sierra Nevada's, and a father-daughter trip to Yosemite.

            Product information:
            Manufacturer: Jetboil
            Manufacturers Website: http://www.jetboil.com
            Listed Weight: 15 oz (425 g)
            Delivered Weight: 15 oz (425 g)/ 17 oz (482 g) (with coffee press)
            Manufacturers Description: (from the website) The original
            Jetboil has sparked a revolution in outdoor cooking. Boiling two cups
            in two minutes at 75-80% efficiency, the PCS is twice as fast and uses
            half as much fuel as conventional stoves. The PCS boils up to 50 cups
            (12 Liters) of water from only one Jetpower isobutane/propane
            micro-canister. Such outstanding performance results from the
            patent-pending FluxRing™ heat exchanger, which captures and focuses
            the burner's heat.
            PCS

            The PCS integrates a 1 liter (32 oz) insulated hard-anodized aluminum
            cooking cup, high-performance burner base with built-in piezoelectric
            igniter, drink-through plastic lid, and protective bottom cover that
            doubles as a measuring cup. With all components, including fuel,
            packed comfortably within the cooking cup, the entire PCS is smaller
            than a Nalgene bottle. Stow it in your pack, saddlebag, kayak, fanny
            pack, or side pocket – take it anywhere. At 15 ounces (425 g), Jetboil
            PCS rivals the very lightest titanium cooksets and micro-canister stoves.

            Field information:

            Test Locations:

            The Jetboil I have tested has primarily been used in three different
            geographic locations. The first being San Diego County, including the
            Anza-Borrego Desert, and the Laguna Mountain range. I also used it in
            the Sierra Nevadas in central California, as well as an overnight hike
            into the Grand Canyon

            Test Climate:

            I have used the Jetboil during all four seasons including summer
            trips in the Sierras in mild weather, hot San Diego fall trips, a
            scorching trip into the Grand Canyon where the temperature topped 104
            F (40 c), winter snow camping above 9,000 ft (2800 m) in the Sierras
            to mild spring weather in the Laguna Mountains.

            Test Report:

            I received the Jetboil personal cooking system with a the accessory
            coffee press as a gift from my children for Christmas 2006, and it has
            been used on more than a dozen trips in the last year. It has been my
            primary backpacking stove, and has been used in a variety of
            conditions. Its principal use has been boiling water to prepare
            meals, make evening tea, and brewing my morning coffee. The unit has
            performed flawlessly in mild and hot conditions, and has performed
            admirably in cold conditions.

            The Jetboil Personal Cooking System is a self-contained stove, which
            uses iso-butane canisters as fuel. It comes with a burner unit that
            locks into a proprietary cooking vessel with a lid that has a
            corrugated aluminum ring permanently attached the base that fits over
            the burner unit. This ring is advertised as increasing the heat
            retention of the burner, making the stove more efficient than other
            models. All the parts of the stove (including the iso-butane
            canister) nest into the cooking vessel, and a plastic measuring cup
            clips onto the base to protect the corrugated ring. The outside of
            the cooking vessel is covered in a removable neoprene sleeve with a
            webbing strap attached to one side that works as a handle. The lid is
            soft plastic, with a hole near the edge for pouring or sipping, and
            another opposite which functions as a vent. The unit I received also
            had a small hole in the middle of the lid to fit the coffee press
            attachment that was part of the kit that I ordered. The cooking
            vessel is manufactured of aluminum that is light, but appears to be
            very robust. The dimensions of the unit are as follows:

            Height of unit when packed: 7.5 in (19.05 cm)
            Height of the unit when assembled (including attached iso-butane
            canister): 11.5 in (29.21 cm)
            Diameter of the cooking vessel (exterior): 4 in (10.16 cm)

            The first set of trips I used my Jetboil in was during a series of
            overnight backpacking trips to the Anza-Borrego Desert, in which the
            weather never got below freezing, and no precipitation. The unit
            worked as advertised, boiling water rapidly, lighting, and adjusting
            perfectly. I did find during these trips, I needed to pay careful
            attention to the unit, as the narrow dimensions of the cup allowed me
            to boil water right out of the top. There is a 1-liter (32 oz) mark
            approximately halfway up the inside of the cup, and this is the
            maximum amount of water it can boil without overflowing. I also
            found that using fine ground coffee with the press will allow the
            grounds to escape, leaving a crunchy residue to your morning brew. Be
            sure to grind your coffee course to avoid this problem. I also found
            that the canister could leave a rust ring on the inside of the cup if
            you pack it right side up when residual moisture is present. I began
            to pack the canister in an open plastic baggie to prevent this
            problem. Jetboil suggests on their website that packing the canister
            upside down in the cup will also prevent this problem. I have decided
            to keep using my method, as it provides a convenient place to store a
            spare plastic baggie.

            The second set of conditions was during an overnight winter snowshoe
            trip in the Sierras, with the weather being fairly cold, and the
            overnight temps dropping below freezing. I used the Jetboil as a
            means for melting snow for drinking and cooking. The cold and/or
            altitude drastically lengthened the time it took to boil water.
            Although, the time was still comparable to the time it took white gas
            stoves to boil water in the same conditions. The difference being the
            white gas stove was heating a larger volume of water. I did keep my
            gas canisters warm by keeping them inside my coat during hiking, and
            at the foot of my sleeping bag overnight. I also found it important
            to "prime" the pot of snow with a little water to get it melting.

            The third set of relevant conditions occurred during a 4-day trip with
            my 6-year old daughter in Yosemite National Park in August. We used
            the Jetboil as the only method of cooking. Fortunately, we are both
            moderate in our culinary needs while camping, and the Jetboil PCS
            worked well for both of us. The weather was very mild during our
            trek, but we were in altitude including a night over 8,000 ft (2400m).
            The altitude did not seem to affect the units ability to boil water
            quickly, and I was able to satisfy the my personal morning coffee
            needs, as well as my daughters hot-chocolate needs is short time.

            The fourth set of conditions involved the blazing heat of the Grand
            Canyon during an overnight trip down the South Kaibab trail to Phantom
            Ranch, and then back up to the rim via the Bright Angel trail. The
            Jetboil was only required to heat up water on two occasions during
            this trip, and it worked as expected with no adverse effect from the
            hot temperatures. The Jetboil was also light enough, and compact
            enough that I did not feel overly burdened carrying it on a trail
            gaining 4,400 ft (1340 m) in less than 10 mi (16 km).

            After 12-months of moderate to hard use, my Jetboil is still in good
            condition. It does show some cosmetic wear, such as stains on the
            neoprene cover, and the warning labels printed on the web handle being
            worn off and illegible, but is still as functionally sound as the day
            I took it out of the box. I have not needed to do any mechanical
            maintenance on the unit in the last twelve months, and it has not
            malfunctioned on me during any use.

[...]

            - No easy method for determining the amount of fuel left in a fuel
            cannister
          • phspiller
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 13, 2008
              Hi Andre'

              Thank you so much for taking on the task of editing my Owner Review.
              I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions you have made. I have
              make the following changes to my OR:

              Cleaned up some of the language in the text, added my personal
              description of the Jetboil, and added a paragraph on my experience
              with the unit in the Grand Canyon.

              Added all the unit conversions. I also added conversions in the
              manufacturers description I took form the website. I did not change
              their unit to match the preferred backpackergeartest format using oz
              instead of ounces). Is this correct.

              Removed any projection from the text.

              Changed the format to make it clearer.

              Edited down my biography description to meet the 100 word limit.

              I have the HTML version ready to go as well, should I upload it now,
              or is this after the final version?

              Also, it it appropriate to add a link to my website in my bio as an
              easy way to get more info on me?

              Thanks again,

              Here it is.

              Date: December 28, 2007

              Backpacking Background: I have been camping and hiking avidly since
              childhood. In the last several years I have become more passionate
              about backpacking and kayaking, and have become a Chapter Outing
              Leader for the Sierra Club. I am also the Car-Camp Coordinator for the
              "Wilderness Basics" course held annually in San Diego. I day hike
              locally most every weekend both alone, with other adults, and with my
              children. I also plan and execute several longer-term trips each
              year, including many multi-day trips to the Anza-Borrego Dessert, the
              Grand Canyon, Snowshoeing in the Sierra Nevada's, and a
[...]

              used the Jetboil as the only method of cooking. Fortunately, we are

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2008
                I have uploaded an HTML test version,

                Here is the URL:

                http://snipurl.com/1xlll

                Thanks,

                Peter
              • André Corterier
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 18, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Andre'
                  >

                  > Thank you so much for taking on the task of editing my Owner
                  Review.

                  ## You're welcome. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I
                  was snowed under at work. I'm supposed to have a cushy indoor gov't
                  job. Looks like I'll be spending literally half of the time between
                  now and Easter in foreign countries (foreign for me, anyway, one of
                  those weeks is in NY). I hope to get some backpacking done on the
                  side, at least in Japan...

                  > I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions you have made. I
                  have
                  > make the following changes to my OR:
                  <snip>

                  ## It looks pretty good to me. Should you have time to spend on
                  editing this before I'm getting back to you the next time, I suggest
                  you get a head start on your second OR.

                  > I have the HTML version ready to go as well, should I upload it
                  now,
                  > or is this after the final version?

                  ## Please, absolutely DO upload - to the TEST folder (here:
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/ )
                  (you probably need to be logged into the backpackgeartest.org site
                  to access this folder)

                  Then, please repost the text version here and add a link to your
                  file, preferably a shortlink (tinyurl or snipurl). I'll go over the
                  html version then and I think you're only a short step away from
                  uploading to the site proper and posting your second OR to this list.

                  > Also, it it appropriate to add a link to my website in my bio as
                  an
                  > easy way to get more info on me?

                  ## Yes, a personal webpage is the *one* external link other than the
                  manufacturer's top level domain which we allow. I believe those of
                  us who take advantage of that exception tend to have a strong hiking
                  focus on their webpages, but I don't believe that has ever been made
                  into a requirement.

                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Here it is.

                  ## Thank you for your work. You really took my suggestions to heart,
                  I'm glad to see it. I should have email access in New York City, so
                  I'll be checking in on your progress during the next week. Keep up
                  the good work!

                  André
                  OR Editor

                  <snip>
                • André Corterier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 18, 2008
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                    <andre.corterier@...> wrote:
                    <snip>

                    > ## You're welcome. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

                    Heh. I see you were just unmoderated. That means I took seven hours to
                    get back to you. I guess that's allright then.

                    (I was blushing with shame when I thought I'd taken the better part of
                    a week to get back to you.) Phew.

                    André
                    OR Editor
                  • André Corterier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > I have uploaded an HTML test version,
                      >
                      > Here is the URL:
                      >
                      > http://snipurl.com/1xlll
                      >

                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Peter

                      Thank you Peter. Next time you do this, please provide *both* the
                      text version here on the list *and* the link to the html version in
                      the test folder.

                      As far as edits go, there's only one: I believe your product picture
                      originates from the manufacturer. If so, please give proper credit
                      (saying something like "picture by Jetboil" in the ALT tag would do).

                      Please upload to the folder here:
                      http://tinyurl.com/3bobx2

                      I'm looking forward to seeing your next OR on the list!

                      André
                      OR Editor