Owner Review, Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney Hat

  • Todd Yoder
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
      Owner Review Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney Hat

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Todd A.YoderAge: 46Gender: MaleHeight: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)Weight: 195 Pounds (88 Kilograms)Email address: pyroman589@..., State, Country: Fort Smith, AR. USA Date: December 30, 2007

      Backpacking Background: I am a full time firefighter and am on our Rough Terrain Rescue Team, I am also a scoutmaster with the boyscouts. Our troop started backpacking about five years ago. I mostly hike extended weekend trips that last 3 � 4 days. I would consider myself a mid to lightweight backpacker. I normally hike in the Ozark and Quachita mountains from early fall to late spring.

      Product Information:Manufacturer: Columbia URL: http://www.columbia.com

      The inner tags (there are 3 of them!) notes that the outer shell is 100% nylon, and the mesh lining is 100% polyester. It directs you to hand wash and line dry. The underside of the brim is black to reduce glare and the inner hat is lined with a moisture-wicking polyester sweatband with a cooling mesh upper panel in the hood.
      The hat is listed for $25.00 but I�ve found it as low as $19.95. The hat comes in one-size fits all with an adjustable draw cord and toggle that cinches the hat around your brow. The adjustable chinstrap comes in handy in windy conditions. The brim is 2.7� (6.86 cm) and weighs 3.1 oz (88 g). The hat comes in a variety of colors, island orange, fossil, suede, sage, blue frost, fossil/black and sage/black.

      I love this hat! It is my second Bora Bora; I lost my first one several years ago while on a camping trip This hat has followed me through the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, the Teton�s of Wyoming, and the Waimea Canyon, "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific." in Kauai. This hat is lightweight but protects me from the sun and keeps me dry in light rainstorms. In the hot summer days the hat keeps me cool do to the vented mesh panel. The hat can be hot when doing strenuous activities but this is when the chinstrap comes in handy as I can slide the hat off and let my head cool. The hat does not keep me warm in the cold weather but I take along a beanie to wear under the hat to keep me warmer. The adjustable draw cord works well with this as it can adjust to the additional bulk under the hat.
      Over all this is a great hat that provides great protection from the sun. I wear this hat every time I go out into the wilderness whether it�s canoeing, backpacking or just camping.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2008
          Hello Todd,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for your Owner Review, your
          initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
          you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
          for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
          experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
          If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
          request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
          K, at mentor@...

          Ray

          ***Name: Todd A.YoderAge: 46Gender: MaleHeight: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
          Weight: 195 Pounds (88 Kilograms)Email address: pyroman589@...,
          State, Country:
          Fort Smith, AR. USA Date: December 30, 2007

          EDIT: Todd I do not know if this is a Yahoo thing or what but your
          text is all jumbled up. This all needs to be in some order. Please
          refer to the examples or other reviews for an idea of what I am
          talking about.

          Backpacking Background: I am a full time firefighter and am on our
          Rough
          Terrain Rescue Team,

          Comment: cool, my hat's off to you

          EDIT: you need a product info page with size, MSRP, weights (theirs
          and yours) and such. Please refer to the lessons and examples.

          ***The hat is listed for $25.00 but I've found it as low as $19.95.

          EDIT: we only list the MSRP from the manufacturer. No prices from
          retailers are allowed.

          ***The hat comes in one-size fits all with an adjustable draw cord
          and toggle that cinches the hat around your brow.

          EDIT: Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in
          an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you
          are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said
          what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our
          thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their
          shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So
          we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an
          out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready
          to go down the trail."

          Please use the first person for your review.

          ***The brim is 2.7" (6.86 cm) and weighs 3.1 oz (88 g). The hat comes
          in a variety of colors, island orange, fossil, suede, sage, blue
          frost,
          fossil/black and sage/black.

          EDIT: this needs to be in the product info section. I do not
          understand how the brim was weighed. Did you cut it off?

          ***In the hot summer days the hat keeps me cool do to the vented mesh
          panel.

          EDIT: due not "do"