Owner Review: Asics Gel Cumulus running shoes - André

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
      > Owner Review: Asics Gel Cumulus running shoes - André

      Hi all, here's my Owner Review of my most walked-in shoes. Couldn't
      find my camera for a while and only found it just before midnight.
      Them's the breaks, eh? A happy New Year for all of you who aren't in
      2008 yet, and a happy new year to all!

      html here: http://tinyurl.com/yqjndb

      text below:

      ASICS Gel Cumulus running shoes
      BY ANDRÉ CORTERIER
      OWNER REVIEW
      December 31, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: André Corterier
      EMAIL: andre.corterier@...
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Bonn, Germany
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 176 lb (80.00 kg)
      CHEST 100 cm (39.5 in)
      WAIST 84 cm (33 in)
      STD. CLOTHING SIZE L
      SHOE SIZE 11-12 (US), 46 (EUR)

      I have started out with backpacking slowly – single-day 24 km (15
      mi) jaunts by myself or even shorter hikes in the company of my
      little daughter. I am getting started on longer hikes, as a
      lightweight packer and hammock-camper. I've begun upgrading my old
      gear and now carry a dry FSO weight (everything carried From the
      Skin Out except food, fuel and water) of less than 9 kg (22 lb) for
      three-season camping.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Asics
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: www.asics.com
      MSRP: US$ 90
      Listed Weight: 11.5 oz (326 g) (assumed per shoe, size not given)
      Measured Weight: 16.23 oz (460 g) (per shoe, size 13)

      FIELD USE

      I have worn these shoes a LOT. I initially bought these as running
      shoes, and have used them extensively in this function. I have also
      worn them as my casual pair of sneakers a lot. Having done so, I
      sometimes just left them on when I left for a spontaneous day hike.
      I have progressed from there to wearing them more and more on the
      trail. My longest trail experience with these was one week spent on
      the Rheinsteig (Rhine Trail) in Germany, during which time I walked
      roughly 210 km (130 mi) in them, with about 8000 m (26000 ft) of
      elevation changes. I have worn these shoes in temps from -5 C to 35
      C (23 F to 95 F) and all sorts of rain, across terrain both smooth
      and rugged, dry and soggy, level and steeply inclined. These shoes
      have gotten wet on my feet and dried on my feet.

      I have other shoes that I sometimes hike in. I have a pair of low
      cut waterproof/breathable shoes and a pair of high cut (just above
      the ankle) waterproof/breathable shoes. They are both heavier, but
      of course waterproof. They are nearly as comfortable as my running
      shoes. I tend to choose them when I know or expect that I will be
      encountering a lot of rain or very muddy terrain. I tend to go for
      the high cut shoes when I plan to carry a lot of weight (like my
      daughter in her child carrier). These are the reasons I choose shoes
      other than my running shoes, which is to say that unless there are
      particular reasons to choose other shoes, I wear the Asics Gel
      Cumulus running shoes to hike in.

      Temperature Range:
      I've found that these shoes do not insulate my feet much. That is
      good in higher temperatures, less so in the lower ones. Below
      freezing (and even just above), I've found thick socks (or even two
      pairs worn over each other) helpful. At just above freezing, thick
      hiking socks and a brisk walking speed kept my feet (and the rest of
      me) warm enough, thank you. But below freezing these shoes are still
      decent running shoes (though they confer no grip whatsoever on icy
      surfaces), but at slower speeds my feet quickly freeze.

      Toward the high temperatures, anything up to and including the high
      twenties C (say 80 F) is fine. The thin mesh upper makes for good
      moisture transfer to the outside, so as long as the socks worn in
      them do a good job of wicking the moisture away from my feet in the
      first place, I've been comfortable. At higher temperatures, my feet
      start swimming. At a reported 35 C (95 F) - in the shade, which
      unfortunately wasn't where I was walking - they were drowning.

      I find this a rather broad temperature range and have been happy
      with it. No complaints there at all.

      Precipitation (etc.):
      These shoes do nothing to keep moisture out (except help it
      evaporate quickly). So in the rain, the mesh upper gets soaked
      pretty quickly, and after that my feet get wet. This has happened a
      number of times already. I've tried using an aftermarket water
      repellent treatment, but that didn't seem to change anything (maybe
      I used it wrong - by the time I found out it hadn't helped, I'd
      thrown the package away).

      There are two factors which mitigate this finding, however. One is
      the fact that the shoes do not seem to change their comfort level to
      the worse when wet. Except for the squelching sounds and the fact
      that the shoes feel a few degrees colder than the ambient
      temperature would seem to suggest, they work wet just as well as
      dry. The other good thing is that they dry quickly, and will even
      dry on my feet while I walk (once it's stopped raining, that is). On
      my Rheinsteig hike, I got totally soaked by hard rain and hail. I
      kept the shoes on (with wet socks, too) and kept walking briskly for
      two or three more hours, trying to warm myself up (and dry the
      clothes on my body). This worked pretty well, even thought the
      temperatures hovered around 10 C (50 F). While the shoes weren't
      bone dry after that, they weren't sodden any more, either. I hung
      them from the ridge line of my hammock that night and they felt
      pretty dry the next morning.

      Cushioning:
      Well, whether it's a gel pack or an air pad between me and the
      ground, running shoes - to me - seem to be the most comfortable
      shoes around. These are no exception. I truly feel like I'm walking
      on clouds - the thick, heaped eponymous ones, too. My other hiking
      shoes have less in the way of cushioning between my feet and the
      trail, yet I've always found them sufficient. Even with my light
      hiking shoes, I've never been tempted to carry "camp shoes" with me
      on a trip. If I had, I'd probably taken my running shoes...
      So it seems that I save a lot of weight with these!

      Weight:
      They weigh what I say they did up top, of course. I felt it
      opportune to mention at this point that these are the lightest pair
      of shoes I have by several ounces (100 g or so). The shoe
      manufacturers invariably seem to base their given weights on the
      smaller sizes. I'm generally between size 11 and 12 in shoes, which
      means I go for size 12 in hiking shoes, but was told to go even
      higher for running shoes. I've never regretted it. These seem to fit
      like a glove. In my experience, they are very lightweight for a pair
      of shoes in size 13.

      Comfort:
      Their comfort, apart from their excellent cushioning, is very good
      as well. I can lace them tightly or less so depending on my
      perceived needs at the time. Rugged terrain and fast travel make me
      go towards tighter lacing (and - particularly! - steep inclines and
      declines), while smooth trails and leisurely paces make me relax the
      lacing as much as it relaxes myself. I've never had a blister in
      these shoes (of course, I wear them with decent socks - no hiking in
      cotton socks for me). I've had a few hotspots during the latter
      third of long, hard hiking days in high temperatures. Airing the
      shoes (and my feet!) out for a few minutes and a change of socks
      usually let me continue soon thereafter without any problems.

      Durability:
      I'm impressed with the way the shoes have held up. I'm guesstimating
      (with a rather significant margin of error, I'm afraid) that I've
      put about 1500+ km (1000 mi) on these shoes. I've read somewhere
      that after 1000 km (620 mi) or so one should get a new pair of
      running shoes because the midsole etc. begin to break down, with a
      concurrent loss of support for the foot. I do not know whether this
      was cooked up by the shoe manufacturing industry to keep us
      consumers retooling at higher speed and of course do not know
      whether this is happening - I can't see any such indication. With
      the exception of the top of the toe protection becoming partially
      unglued on my right shoe and a few blemishes where my feet tend to
      contact each other while I walk, these shoes show no significant
      signs of wear. I'm impressed - the sole does not seem to continue
      coming off, and other shoes I have show much more signifcant damage
      at my feet's contact spot after much lower mileage.

      Traction:
      I have nothing good or bad to report in this section. Their traction
      seems no worse than my dedicated trail shoes, though a look at the
      sole seem to indicate that they're not meant for cross country use.
      They don't do anything for me on ice and very little on snow, but
      that wasn't unexpected at all. They do comparatively okay on muddy
      ground - better than I had initiatlly feared. On smooth, dry
      surfaces they're excellent, but then I've never had a pair of shoes
      which had problems there.

      Looks:
      The one thing I really don't like about these shoes is their stupid
      shiny silvery appearance. If I could get a pair in subdued nature
      colours (without reflective tabs, too) I'd be totally happy.

      Next Steps:
      This is the second pair of these shoes that I own. The earlier one
      was in dark blue - didn't look like a hiking shoe, either, but
      looked a lot less bad. But I liked them so much that when they began
      to look quite unappealing to do accumulated damage (though much of
      it cosmetic), I bought another one. Finding these on sale was an
      added bonus. I may well go for another pair of these with my next
      shoes, though I'm still thinking of maybe going to a very similar
      one with a more subdued "look".

      SUMMARY

      Excellent runing and hiking shoes. Not waterproof, but very durable
      and comfortable and light. Not easy on the eyes, though.

      This report was created with some help by the BackpackGearTest.org
      Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hi André,

          Thanks for the review in answer of the call, nice job. Here are your
          edits after which it can go here;

          http://tinyurl.com/2dvlgg

          Ray

          ***My longest trail experience with these was one week spent on the
          Rheinsteig (Rhine Trail) in Germany, during which time I walked
          roughly 210 km (130 mi) in them, with about 8000 m (26000 ft) of
          elevation changes.

          Comment: sweet. Let's go hiking sometime…

          ***I have other shoes that I sometimes hike in. I have a pair of low
          cut waterproof/breathable shoes and a pair of high cut (just above
          the ankle) waterproof/breathable shoes. They are both heavier, but of
          course waterproof. They are nearly as comfortable as my running
          shoes. I tend to choose them when I know or expect that I will be
          encountering a lot of rain or very muddy terrain. I tend to go for
          the high cut shoes when I plan to carry a lot of weight (like my
          daughter in her child carrier). These are the reasons I choose shoes
          other than my running shoes, which is to say that unless there are
          particular reasons to choose other shoes, I wear the Asics Gel
          Cumulus running shoes to hike in.

          Comment: I do not understand all the info about your other shoes.
          Wouldn't it suffice to say that "While I have other shoes, unless
          forced to by conditions I wear the Asics Gel Cumulus running shoes to
          hike in."

          ***I truly feel like I'm walking on clouds - the thick, heaped
          eponymous ones, too.

          Comment: I think I stepped in a thick, heaped eponymous once ;-)

          ***I've put about 1500+ km (1000 mi) on these shoes.

          Comment: Wow! I am impressed.

          ***and other shoes I have show much more signifcant damage

          EDIT: significant

          ***They do comparatively okay on muddy ground - better than I had
          initiatlly feared.

          EDIT: initially

          ***Excellent runing and hiking shoes.

          EDIT: running
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi André,
            >
            > Thanks for the review in answer of the call, nice job. Here are
            your
            > edits after which it can go here;
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/2dvlgg
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***My longest trail experience with these was one week spent on the
            > Rheinsteig (Rhine Trail) in Germany, during which time I walked
            > roughly 210 km (130 mi) in them, with about 8000 m (26000 ft) of
            > elevation changes.
            >
            > Comment: sweet. Let's go hiking sometime…
            <snip>

            That may be your kind of elevation change, but not your kind of
            elevation. All of it *well* below treeline. Not the kind of views you
            get in your neck of the woods. But lots of castles instead (I think I
            posted on BackpackingTalk - http://tinyurl.com/3599qf ). But I'll be
            sure to ring you up when I get to CA.

            André
            P.S.: Sorry about the slew of typos towards the end.