REPOST: OR - REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II Crew Socks - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2007
      I just flew back from a business trip in Chicago and wasn't able to
      make these edits as quickly as I would have liked. I was hoping to
      have my second OR posted before 2008. Oy veh!

      Thank you, Andr�, for your edits. I've made all the hard edits and
      have reposted my report here:

      http://tinyurl.com/2q62ur

      The "cm" measurement on my shoe size is the international standard
      for Japan. I wasn't sure what you needed or not, so I added it. I
      will remove it if you feel it is unnecessary.

      As for my backpacking background, I made a few extra edits for
      clarity. For one, I changed "two years ago" to "2005." This will make
      more sense in future years. I also modified "week-long" to "multi-
      day" to be more accurate (I was using "week" loosely as 5-7 days, but
      in looking back, I know my pack weight was on the low end). I feel
      better about this edit and hope it works better for everyone.

      I pack 64 oz (~ 2 L) of water on my short or long treks.

      Oh, and sorry about the temperature conversions�I'm still figuring
      out the program's complexity!

      Respectfully (re-) submitted,

      ~derek

      # # #

      OWNER REVIEW: REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II Socks - Crew

      DATE: December 12, 2007

      ----------

      Photo courtesy REI

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Derek Hansen
      Age: 32
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5� 10� (1.78 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 9.5, EU 43, 27.5 cm
      Email address: derek(dee-oh-tee)hansen(at)mac(dee-oh-tee)com
      City, State, Country: Alexandria, Virginia, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I began serious backpacking in 2005 after becoming a Scoutmaster for
      a local Boy Scout troop. I overnight camp at least once a month with
      two or three week-long high adventure treks every year. I keep my
      multi-day pack under 30 lb (13 kg), including consumables. I use a
      hammock year-round.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Recreation Equipment, Inc. (REI)
      Product: REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II Socks - Crew
      Year manufactured: 2006-07
      Weight listed: N/A
      Weight per pair (measured): 1.8 oz (51 g)
      Size Reviewed: Large
      Other sizes available: Medium, Large, Extra-Large
      Color reviewed: Moss (also available in Navy/Denim)
      Fit: Unisex
      Fabric: 78% merino wool; 20% nylon; 2% Lycra spandex
      Country of Origin: Made in the USA
      MSRP: US$9.50

      Sizing Chart

      The following chart explains the sizing used by REI and is listed in
      US sizes.

      Sock Sizes S M L XL
      Women's 4-6 6.5-10 10.5-12
      Men's 5-8.5 9-12 13-15
      Courtesy REI

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II Sock is a wool-blended crew sock
      referred by the manufacturer as �[a] lightweight cushioned [sock]�
      perfect fit for hiking and backpacking.�

      The naturally wicking wool fibers are combined with nylon and lycra
      spandex for better fit and comfort. Most of the spandex material is
      located around the arch, which keeps the sock from sliding around and
      keeps the fit snug. The ball and heel are reinforced. The letters
      �REI� are woven prominently near the toe.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      I have used the Light Hiker socks for the past year in all of my
      backpacking and camping adventures with and without the Scouts. Most
      of these treks were weekend hikes and camps in the Northern Virginia
      area at an average elevation of 200 ft (61 m) and temperatures
      ranging from 20 to 90 F (-6.8 to 32 C).

      In addition, I used the Light Hiker socks during a week-long camp in
      Pine Valley Mountain (on the geologic boundary of the Colorado
      Plateau and the Great Basin) and experienced brutal daily temperature
      shifts from 20 to 100 F (-6.8 to 38 C) at an elevation of 4,500 ft
      (1,372 m). Trail conditions were very dry and dusty.

      I also used the socks at another week-long camp in Northern Utah at
      the base of Mount Timpanogos, elevation 11,749 ft (3581 m), the
      second-highest peak in the Wasatch Range. Most of the activities were
      at base camp�elevation 7,000 ft (2134 m)�with a short 8-mile (12.88
      km) hike to some local waterfalls. Daily temperatures ranged from 50
      to 80 F (10 to 26 C). The terrain was well-worn dirt footpath with
      some minor rock scrambling over avalanche areas with some talus and
      scree.

      FIELD USE RESULTS

      I purchased the Light Hiker crew socks while trying to outfit myself
      for an upcoming trek. I was looking for a wool-blend sock at a good
      price point. The Light Hikers fit the bill and I have not been
      disappointed. These socks are my first pick when I go out on a trek.

      I have always worn these socks with a wicking polyester liner and I
      typically wear a heavy all-leather boot. The socks breath very well
      and maintain a moderate temperature; I�ve never felt overly hot or
      cold in the field conditions mentioned.

      One of the first things I noticed when I put the socks on for the
      first time was the spandex �snug� fit around my foot arch. It took a
      little getting used to, as I have never had a sock with this feature
      before. This fit, however, was ultimately very comfortable and I
      liked the feeling of added support.

      When at base camp, I often switched into my lightweight Crocs shoes.
      The Light Hikers felt great, but I noticed that the toe would
      sometimes bunch up, due in part to the elastic fit around the arch.

      Even after multiple washings, the socks maintain their size and fit.

      SUMMARY

      The REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II Sock is an all-around well-
      balanced, economical wool-blend sock. The elastic fit around the arch
      adds support but can bunch up the toe material.

      ROSES

      1. Merino wool is cool, comfortable, and itch-free
      2. Snug arch-support
      3. Price
      THORNS

      1. Toe material sometimes bunches up in front of the arch-support
      spandex

      Updated: Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 09:03 AM

    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        Derek, go ahead and upload your OR to the folder here:
        http://tinyurl.com/2djl7k

        I've figured out why I thought for a moment that this was your first
        OR - because you mentioned wanting to post your 2nd before 2008. I
        guess you meant wanting to "upload" it to the proper folder on the
        site. You did post this in 2007.

        Anyway, congrats for being officially part of the team. You can now
        apply to test gear. The application process is described here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=40

        You may be already aware that you are now a "newbie", a term of
        endearment. What this entails, as well as exhausting detail
        regarding the selection process on applications etc. is described
        here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SGAppendix&page=4

        Welcome and good luck!

        André
        OR Editor

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hansen

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thanks, André! I've uploaded my second OR and am plugging away at
          reading the 'newbie' material. Yeeha!

          ~derek