OR - Fox River Explorer socks - Ray Estrella

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2007
      Ray is gone and he posted this to the wrong list. I called and told
      him. He asked me to post it here.

      Jenn K.

      Here is another review for the call, the last I will do this year…

      HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2e2omt

      Fox River Wick Dry Explorer
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      December 20, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Fox River Mills
      Web site: www.foxsox.com
      Product: Wick Dry Explorer heavy weight crew
      Item number: 2362
      Year manufactured: 2004-07
      MSRP: US $9.99 (Fox River direct price)
      Size reviewed: Large (Men's 9 - 12.5 Women's 10.5 - 12.5 US)
      Other sizes available: Small, Medium and Extra Large
      Color reviewed: Grey (Also available in Navy, Olive and Khaki.)
      Weight (measured): 4.1 oz (116 g)
      Warranty (from hang tag): One year guarantee against manufacturing
      defects.

      Product Description

      The Fox River Wick Dry Explorer heavy weight Crew (hereafter called
      the Explorer or the sock) is a heavy weight sock meant for use in
      both cold and hot climates. I backpack in both and everything in
      between.

      These 60% acrylic, 20% worsted wool, 19% stretch nylon and 1% spandex
      socks are made using the company's Wick Dry Health System. To quote
      them, it "is designed to help keep feet dry and comfortable, no
      matter what the temperature. This system combines an inner layer of
      moisture-repelling (hydrophobic) yarn with an outer layer of
      moisture-
      attracting (hydrophilic) yarn to wick moisture away from feet."

      They seem to have the wool on the outside which makes sense as in my
      experience wool is stronger than synthetic fibers and is more
      absorbent. It is the grey colored threads as seen in the picture
      below.

      This puts the better wicking hydrophobic acrylic fibers inside next
      to my foot. They are comprised of soft loops of material reminiscent
      of terry-cloth but much softer feeling. It can be seen in the picture
      below of the sock turned inside out.

      The Explorer has a thickened area on the bottom of the sock to add
      cushioning. It is darker than the rest of the sock body. The toe and
      heel have been reinforced to add durability and longevity to the
      Explorers.

      The cuff atop the 7 in (17.8 cm) high leg is ridged vertically and
      has added Spandex in it to assist keeping it in place and fight
      sagging.

      The following is the Care Instructions for the Explorers: For best
      results, wash in warm water. Turn inside out to reduce pilling. No
      bleach. Hang dry, or tumble dry on low or no heat.
      Field Conditions
      The Explorer socks have been used in the following places, all in the
      winter or early spring months.

      In California I have used them at elevations ranging from 7,000' to
      13,300' (2,100 to 4,000 m). The temperatures seen on these trips were
      in the teens to twenties F (-9 to -4 C) as a norm, but saw near 0 F
      (-
      18 C) on occasions. I do most of my winter hiking in the Sierra
      Nevada and White mountains, along with local stuff in the Mount San
      Jacinto and San Gorgonio areas. But I also used them on Mount Shasta
      where it was a balmy 13 F (-10.5 C) in June. Most trips involved snow
      and/or ice travel. They have been worn with Koflach plastic-double
      mountaineering boots, leather La Sportiva mountaineering boots and
      Gore-Tex lined Lowa hiking boots.

      They have been used in Minnesota for everyday winter use and both
      backpacking and snowshoeing trips in Gore-Tex lined Asolo hiking
      boots and Columbia Bugaboo 2 pac boots. Temps there got down below -
      20 F (-29 C).

      They have been used a few times in Utah hiking and snowshoeing in the
      mountains near Salt Lake City. The lowest temps we were in there was
      5 F (-15 C) on lots of snow.

      Observations

      I have five pairs of the Expplorer Wick Dry socks in my drawers right
      now. I have been using them since 2003 or 2004. With the most use
      occurring in 2004 and 2005. (Since then I have added another sock to
      the mix, so it splits trail days.)

      They are very comfortable and warm socks. I always wear Fox River's
      X-
      Static liner socks (see review) with them while hiking, but wear them
      sans liner in the pac boots. I have never experienced a blister
      wearing them with hiking boots or the pac boots. But I have got
      blisters in the mountaineering boots, mostly the leather ones. It is
      more a case of unyielding boots on long approaches rather than any
      shortcoming of the socks.

      They have proven to be some of the least pilling socks I have owned.
      Most of my other socks pill to some degree but the Explorers show
      none with any of them. I think it is because the weave is pretty
      tight on the outer surface of the socks.

      If there is a down side to the Explorers it is in the foot odor
      department. There is not enough wool in them in my opinion to have
      the natural odor fighting properties overcome the poor properties of
      synthetic fibers. After a hard day with my feet encapsulated by
      plastic doubles I did not enjoy the results.

      All told I find the Fox River Explorers very good socks, especially
      considering the price point and the durability.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2007
          Ray--one edit. Good to go otherwise!

          Upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/2psyv6

          Best,

          Ted

          > Observations
          >
          > I have five pairs of the Expplorer

          ### EDIT: Explorer

          Wick Dry socks in my drawers right
          > now. I have been using them since 2003 or 2004. With the most use
          > occurring in 2004 and 2005. (Since then I have added another sock to
          > the mix, so it splits trail days.)
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>