OR Teko Light Hiking Socks Jenn K.

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007
      Here is an OR for this month's call.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%
      20Teko%20Socks%20Jenn%20K/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/2lu9kb

      Teko EcoMerino Wool Women's Light Hiking Socks
      Owner Review
      Jennifer Koles
      December 21, 2007

      Personal Information

      Name: Jennifer Koles
      Age: 32
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

      Backpacking Background

      I started taking overnight backpacking trips four years ago in the
      Uinta Mountain Range in Utah. I found myself taking entirely too
      much gear. I am finding out slowly how to minimize my needs and not
      require extra luxuries. My previous outdoor experiences consisted of
      4-wheel-drive camping in primitive areas and day hiking. I use
      a four season convertible tent or a three season tent for my
      shelter. I plan to take more trips, increase my duration, and reduce
      my two to three day backpack base weight from 17 lb (8 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Teko
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Model: EcoMerino Wool Women's Light Hiking Sock. These socks are
      also available in a men's version.
      Manufacturer Website: www.tekosocks.com
      Colors Available: Wasabi, Charcoal, Della Blue, and Pomegranate
      Color Reviewed: Della Blue
      Sizes Available: SM (4-6), MED (6-10), LG (10-12)
      Size Reviewed: MED (6-10)
      Manufacturer's Listed Measurements: None listed on website.
      Actual Height Measurement: approximately 6.75 in (17 cm) This
      measurement is from the back of the sock from the bottom of the heel
      to the top.
      Manufacturer's Stated Weight: None indicated on website.
      Measured Weight: 1.80 oz (51 g)
      Warranty: One year guarantee
      MSRP: $17.95 USD

      Care: machine wash with warm water, inside-out, tumble dry low, no
      iron, and no bleach

      Product Description

      The EcoMerino Wool Women's Light Hiking Socks are designed
      specifically for women. According to the manufacturer they differ
      from the men's version of this sock by having a narrower heel,
      tapered toe, and a more open cuff.

      These socks come packaged in a 100% recycled package, that is plain
      in appearance. It is a tan/brown color with some general information
      and care of the socks printed on it with soy-based ink.

      Teko is what I would consider as a green company. Their line of
      socks is one of the first green backpacking items I have ever owned.
      They use wind energy for 100% of their energy along with green house
      gas offsets for the transportation of materials and goods. All the
      materials except for the Tasmanian EcoMerino wool are sourced in the
      United States.

      The manufacturer claims that these socks have a high moisture
      transfer to keep feet dry, prevent blisters, and they are fast
      drying.

      They are constructed of 76% EcoMerino Wool, 10% Ecopoly Recycled
      Polyester, 11% nylon, 3% Lycra. These have the same fiber content as
      the EcoMerino Wool Women's Ultra-Light Crew Socks I reviewed earlier
      this year.

      The socks are a light blue color except for the toe, heel, and side
      air vents. These areas are a slightly darker shade of blue. The
      inside of the cuff has "teko w-m" stitched in a darker blue,
      indicating that these are a women's size medium sock. The outside of
      the cuff has the Teko logo stitched in a darker blue color.

      The socks are constructed with a medium thickness terry cushioning
      from the heel to the toe. Ecopoly recycled polyester constructs the
      heels and toes with some reinforcement. There is Lycra spandex
      interwoven throughout the sock. This Lycra not only provides
      support, but helps decrease bunching. There is also a Lycra holding
      rib in the ankle joint area that is there to add comfort and
      support. The Lycra is covered with nylon and this is indicated to
      give the socks the necessary fiber rebound while using a minimal
      amount of nylon fiber.

      On the lateral and medial sides of the socks there are air vents on
      each side. These air vents are a slightly darker color than the rest
      of the sock and are triangular shaped. They also have a Lin Toe flat
      toe seam. Both of these features can be seen in the photos on the
      left.

      The inside of the socks do not look like traditional wool socks.
      When I look at the inside of the socks there are small fiber loops.
      It reminds me of a terry towel. There is what appears to be
      different thickness of the loops inside the socks. This is in the
      areas of additional reinforcement and the side vents.

      The socks are manufactured with an EcoMerino Wool that is shrink
      resistant and dyed with non-toxic dyes. This wool is also indicated
      as being soft, durable, and comfortable. It is also claimed to have
      an increased length that is to have less pilling and itching.

      The Ecopoly Recycled Polyester is made from 100% recycled polyester
      and 10% of that is made from post consumer products. This fiber is
      claimed to be durable and transfers moisture. It is used in Teko's
      performance line of socks.

      I find these to be the perfect pair of socks for three season use,
      as far as thickness is concerned. They are not too thick and they
      are not too thin. For winter hiking I prefer a thicker sock, but I
      have worn these with a liner in temperatures just around freezing.

      Field Use

      I have worn these socks for the past four months in the following
      locations:

      Day hikes Wasatch Mountain Range in Utah: Multiple locations. The
      trail conditions varied during the day hikes. On some occasions
      there was mud, traces of snow, rock scrambling, stream crossings,
      wet leaves, and dry trail. Worn with mid-hiking boots, and trail
      runners.

      American Fork Canyon in Utah in the Wasatch Mountain Range: Multiple
      trips. Elevation ranged from 6,910 ft (2,106 m) to 8,400 ft (2,560
      m) with temperatures varying from the mid 80 F (27 C) to 37 F (3 C)
      in the day and just below 32 F at night. Some days there was 3 to 4
      in (8 to 10 cm) snow on the ground and other days it was dry. Worn
      with higher hiking boots for a short period on this trip. The socks
      were too short for my liking with these higher boots.

      Canyonlands National Park in Utah during a three-day trip. The
      daytime temperatures were between 55 F (13 C) to 60 F (16 C). The
      nighttime lows reached 27 F (-3 C). Worn with trail runners and
      mountain bike shoes while biking in the early morning.

      Zion National Park in Utah during an overnight trip. The daytime
      temperatures were in the low 70 F (21 C) range. Worn with mid-hiking
      boots.

      Hawaii (Big Island): Day hikes on the west and east side of the
      island. Daytime temperatures were in the low to mid 80 F (27 C) with
      rainy and dry conditions. The socks were worn with trail runners on
      this trip.

      I am very happy with the performance of these socks. I find them to
      keep my feet dry without any excess perspiration. I also find that
      they do not bunch up or slide down my leg. This style is thicker and
      shorter than the Women's Ultra-Light Crew Sock that I own. Because
      they are a little bit shorter I am not comfortable wearing them in a
      higher hiking boot because the skin on my leg is exposed to the
      inside of the boot. Other than that the socks fit great. The heel is
      in the proper spot and there is no twisting. I regularly wear a
      women's size 8 US shoe. Sometimes I find that socks are either too
      big or too small. These are perfect.

      I found that the EcoMerino Wool and the Ecopoly fibers have remained
      soft and have proven to be durable. After several washings the socks
      do not have any signs of major pilling. They have become the
      slightest bit fuzzy but it is not nearly as bad compared to some
      socks I have worn in the past. I do however think they have shrunk
      the slightest bit in my new clothes dryer. I can still get the socks
      on my feet and they still fit comfortably. They just feel the
      slightest bit snug initially when I am donning them.

      These socks were comfortable even with a liner in colder
      temperatures. A silk liner was worn with the socks for additional
      warmth. A liner was not needed to prevent blisters or irritation,
      since I never experienced any.

      I usually wear out the heels in my socks. However, these socks have
      not shown any signs of premature wear and all the fibers are intact
      with no unraveling noted. After many washings I have noticed that
      there are some faint remaining dirt stains in the fibers of the
      socks.

      I really like the fact that I can wear these socks multiple days and
      they do not stink. I found that in warm temperatures I can rinse
      them out in water in the middle of the day and they are completely
      dry when it is time for me to put them back on in the morning. In
      the sun they dry in a few hours. There seems to be a good balance of
      wool in the sock fibers to prevent odor. In the past I have
      experienced foot odor from socks that had a polyester blend.

      The socks do an excellent job of wicking moisture away. At no time
      were my feet moist from just regular hiking. I soaked them once
      though crossing a stream and had to wear them for a few miles while
      they were wet. They dried some inside my shoes while I was walking.
      When I took off my shoes I noticed that I did not have prune feet,
      so I figured the moisture wicked away from my feet.

      Things I Like:

      I like the thickness. I do not care for an overly thick sock.

      The superior comfort, support, moisture wicking, and durability

      No itching

      They do not stink

      Things That Are So So:

      They are kind of pricey

      They can be difficult to find in local retailer stores, but they are
      available to purchase online.

      I wish they were higher.

      Summary

      I have now have five different models of Teko socks and I love them
      all. I like the fact that by wearing these socks I am being green
      and doing my part in conserving resources. Wearing socks is the
      least I can do. I also find them to be very comfortable, durable,
      soft, and non-itching. I do like the thickness of this sock for more
      extended backpacking trips and for use in during the spring, summer,
      and falls months. I personally prefer a thicker sock for the winter
      season. I would like to see this sock just a tad bit higher so that
      it can be worn with more traditional hiking boots. Teko does have
      other socks in their line that are higher, but I am not certain if
      they are the same thickness.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          > EDIT: OR Teko Light Hiking Socks Jenn K.

          This is the official Edit for Jenn K.'s Owner Review of the Teko
          EcoMerino Wool Women's Light Hiking Socks

          Jenn, thanks for your excellent OR. Just one Edit, below.
          I am uncertain where this report should go. It seems to be the 2007
          version (and women's version) of a sock we tested in 2005. I'd put
          it in the same folder, only they seem to have changed the makeup of
          the sock. Checking their website, this seems to be true for the
          version we tested, as well. I'm taking this to BGTWeb and hope we'll
          find an answer there. I feel a bit stupid obsessing about which
          folder a sock report should go into...
          I hope you had a good trip and wish you a happy 2008!

          André
          OR Editor

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K." <jennksnowy@...>
          wrote:
          <snip>
          > On the lateral and medial sides of the socks there are air vents
          on
          > each side. These air vents are a slightly darker color than the
          rest
          > of the sock and are triangular shaped. They also have a Lin Toe
          flat
          > toe seam.

          Comment: A what? I'm assuming this is a technical term I'm not aware
          of. As such, it does not *need* to be explained. I'm a veteran sock
          tester, but also a foreigner - maybe other readers will know what
          you're talking about.

          <snip>

          > I have now have five different models of Teko socks and I love
          them
          > all.

          EDIT: though one of the "have"s up there seems superfluous.

          I like the fact that by wearing these socks I am being green
          > and doing my part in conserving resources.

          Comment: That works for me, too. Though I find it strange how being
          green about my sock choice can give me such a warm, fuzzy glow while
          laying down the dough when my choice of car, energy-saving light
          bulbs and line drying over machine drying don't. Go figure.

          <snip>
        • Jenn K.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            André

            I put the edited version of the Teko Sock OR in the Owner Review
            folder. You may want to look at it since I added additional
            information on the Lin Toe seams. From what I can tell these seams
            are common on socks.

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%
            20Teko%20Socks%20Jenn%20K/

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/2lu9kb

            Please let me know when the folder is available for me to post the
            socks and where I should be posting it to.

            Thank you

            Jenn

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
            <andre.corterier@...> wrote:

            > > EDIT: OR Teko Light Hiking Socks Jenn K.
            >
            > This is the official Edit for Jenn K.'s Owner Review of the Teko
            > EcoMerino Wool Women's Light Hiking Socks
            >
            > Jenn, thanks for your excellent OR. Just one Edit, below.
            > I am uncertain where this report should go. It seems to be the
            2007
            > version (and women's version) of a sock we tested in 2005. I'd put
            > it in the same folder, only they seem to have changed the makeup
            of
            > the sock. Checking their website, this seems to be true for the
            > version we tested, as well. I'm taking this to BGTWeb and hope
            we'll
            > find an answer there. I feel a bit stupid obsessing about which
            > folder a sock report should go into...
            > I hope you had a good trip and wish you a happy 2008!
            >
            > André
            > OR Editor
            >
            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K." <jennksnowy@>
            > wrote:
            > <snip>
            > > On the lateral and medial sides of the socks there are air vents
            > on
            > > each side. These air vents are a slightly darker color than the
            > rest
            > > of the sock and are triangular shaped. They also have a Lin Toe
            > flat
            > > toe seam.
            >
            > Comment: A what? I'm assuming this is a technical term I'm not
            aware
            > of. As such, it does not *need* to be explained. I'm a veteran
            sock
            > tester, but also a foreigner - maybe other readers will know what
            > you're talking about.
            >
            > <snip>
            >
            > > I have now have five different models of Teko socks and I love
            > them
            > > all.
            >
            > EDIT: though one of the "have"s up there seems superfluous.
            >
            > I like the fact that by wearing these socks I am being green
            > > and doing my part in conserving resources.
            >
            > Comment: That works for me, too. Though I find it strange how
            being
            > green about my sock choice can give me such a warm, fuzzy glow
            while
            > laying down the dough when my choice of car, energy-saving light
            > bulbs and line drying over machine drying don't. Go figure.
            >
            > <snip>

          • Jenn K.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
              Folder Needed: Could someone please make a folder for me to upload my
              sock report to?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
                wrote:

                > Folder Needed: Could someone please make a folder for me to upload
                my
                > sock report to?
                >
                > Thank you
                >
                > Jenn

                Sorry I left you hanging there. I was OOP over the weekend. Please
                upload here: http://tinyurl.com/2yyzlz

                André
                OR Editor

                P.S.: Could you try putting "'07" in the title of your report as
                well? Just to distinguish them from the model reviewed in that
                folder. That may not work, the title is getting a little long as it
                is...

                Thanks for your explanation of the "lin toe".

                André
                OR Editor