EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Exped 7.5 DLX Airmat - Brian Mikels

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi Brian,

      Much better, it looks good. I found a few edits and once they are
      corrected you can repost here. You can also put a HTML copy in the
      Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of
      reviews on the main page or here;
      http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

      The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

      support group,

      BGTFileUploadHelp @

      Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you
      have it uploaded.

      Ray

      ***Date: 11/09/07

      EDIT: since you have the date above this one does not need to be
      here. If you would like to keep it the date should be spelled out as
      you did above.

      ***The repair kit comes in a small resealable bag and contains a
      0.2oz (5 g)

      EDIT: needs a space before "oz"

      ***I'm a warm sleeper and carry a 30 F (-1 C) Marmot Arroyo Long.

      Edit: you should probably say that it is a sleeping bag and
      the "long" is not capitalized. (Marmot Arroyo long sleeping bag)
    • msu1spartan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
        Exped AirMat 7.5 Pump DLX
        by Brian Mikels
        OWNER REVIEW
        November 9th, 2007

        Name: Brian Mikels
        Age: 36
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 6" (198 cm)
        Weight: 230 lb (104 kg)
        Email address: msu1spartan@...
        City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee USA

        Backpacking Background:
        I started backpacking when I was 10 and picked it back up about 4
        years ago. My backcountry companions are my wife & our two 8 year
        old twins. I'm obsessed with light gear; however I tend to err on
        the side of safety, being well fed, and keeping everyone reasonably
        comfortable. I do the bulk of my backpacking March thru November in
        the Great Smoky Mountain National Park doing 1-3 nighters at 6-12
        miles (10-19 km) per day.

        Exped AirMat 7.5 Pump DLX

        Product Information:

        Manufacturer: Exped
        Year of Manufacture: 2006

        Listed Product Specs:
        Weight: 31 oz (895 g)
        Pack Sack: 0.5 oz (16 g)
        Length: 72" (182 cm)
        Width: 26" (65 cm)
        Thickness: 3" (7.5 cm)
        Packed Dimensions: 10" x 6" (25 cm x 16 cm)
        Temperature: 52 F (11 C)

        As Shipped:
        Weight: 32.8 oz (931 g)
        Pad: 31.6 oz (896 g)
        Pack Sack: 0.7 oz (19 g)
        Repair Kit: 0.6 oz (16 g)
        Length: 74" (188 cm)
        Width: 24.5" (62 cm)
        Thickness: 3.5" (9 cm)
        Packed Dimensions: 10" long X 5" diameter (25 cm x 13 cm)

        Product Description:

        The pad comes shipped in its stuff sack complete with a repair kit
        and is constructed of a polyester fabric that is similar to ripstop
        nylon in appearance, minus the slippery surface. The pad has a
        total of eight baffles approximately 3.5" (9 cm) in diameter divided
        into 2 separate air chambers. Two plastic deflation/inflation twist
        lock valves are located at the foot of the pad. The integrated pump
        has an open cell foam pad in its center and 2 flexible inflation
        valves on the under side of the pad. There are two small sleeping
        bag attachment loops at the foot of the pad, each 3" (7.6 cm) off of
        the centerline for the pad. The stuff sack is constructed of ripstop
        nylon and has a simple drawstring and cord lock closure with a 1.5"
        (3.8 cm) wide handle on the bottom of the sack. The repair kit
        comes in a small resealable bag and contains a 0.2 oz (5 g) aluminum
        tube of adhesive & two 3.5" (9 cm) by 5" (13 cm) patches.

        Inflation:

        Inflating the pad using the integrated pump took me a few tries to
        figure out. The deflation valves must first be closed and the
        inflation valve stops opened. Covering the inflation valve with my
        foot and pressing downward forces the air trapped within the pump
        through a one-way valve into the air chamber. Removing my foot from
        the opening allows the foam to expand and the pump is ready for
        another stomp. Describing the pump as a pillow is misleading as it
        doesn't protrude much (if any) beyond the top plane of the pad.
        It's really a pump that's integrated into the pad. Once I got the
        hang of it, I could inflate the pad with very little effort in less
        than a minute. I also have inflated the pad by blowing air into it
        and found the effort required to be minimal and was able to fully
        inflate the pad in just slightly over a minute. Although I think
        the integrated pump design is quite clever, I believe it to be an
        unnecessary luxury and the additional weight this feature adds isn't
        worth the convenience.

        Field Use:

        I'm a warm sleeper and carry a 30 F (-1 C) Marmot Arroyo long
        sleeping bag. When the low temps are above 55 F (13 C), I sleep
        directly on the pad utilizing my unzipped bag as a blanket and have
        experienced no discomfort due to a cold pad. I have used the pad
        down to 25 F (-4 C) with my bag fully zipped, my Capilene 3s on, and
        a sock hat with very little discomfort from the cold.

        I'm a side sleeper and tend to sleep in what could be loosely
        described as the fetal position with a wadded up jacket in between
        my knees. The pad is plenty wide enough to accommodate this
        position and I have found it very easy to keep on the pad throughout
        the night. Sleeping comfortably is a priority for me and I am
        pleased with this pad. On soft ground I have slept well with no
        soreness. On hard rocky soil I learned the importance of getting
        the pad inflation adjusted correctly. The adjustment valves are
        located at the foot of the pad and my wife was quite annoyed by
        my "adjusting" during the night. I now sleep with the foot of the
        pad by my head to allow for quick and quiet adjustment. I have also
        experienced one of the two air chambers going flat during the
        night. It turned out that the deflation valve wasn't closed quite
        tight enough allowing a very slow leak to ensue. I was too lazy to
        figure that out at 2 AM, so I slept on the half of the mat that was
        still inflated. It took quite a bit of care to not slip off it
        during the night but it wasn't too burdensome. Overall I think the
        pad is pretty comfortable for a backpacking air mattress although I
        do get sore shoulders & hips when using it. My wife (112 lb / 51 kg)
        finds the pad to be almost as good as a regular mattress and
        experiences no soreness. If I were designing this pad I would
        narrow it up, make it a mummy shape, and put all of the weight
        savings into making the pad thicker. My quest for a stripped down
        pad made of the lightest available materials yet thick enough to
        keep me from getting sore shoulders & hips unfortunately continues
        on.

        Deflation of the pad is easy. I just open both deflation valves at
        the foot of the pad, fold the mat along the long axis into quarters
        and roll it up. I do have to put some effort in keeping the folds
        of correct proportion while rolling it up. After I have it rolled
        up, it slips easily into the stuff sack. I carry the pad on the
        outside bottom of my pack; however it would pack easily on the
        inside.

        All things considered, this pad is pretty comfortable given the
        available alternatives; however I think the width is a little
        excessive. I have recently purchased the Exped 7.5 AirMat which is
        19" (48 cm) wide.

        Things I like:
        1. The piece of mind that comes with two separate air chambers
        2. Anti slip fabric
        3. Easy to inflate

        Things I don't like:
        1. Pad does not prevent my shoulders & hips from getting sore
        2. The added weight from the pump
        3. Pad width was wider than what I need
      • msu1spartan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
          Ray-
          Thanks for the help!

          Here is the link:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
          20-%20OR%20-%20Exped%207.5%20AirMat%20DLX%20-%20Brian%20Mikels/

          On the personal side....

          My twins are boy/girl also. Do you take them out with you? I've
          been a little afraid to push it too much with them. We have done a
          few 2 nighters with them w/o too much complaining. I've got them
          carrying about 6 lbs (sleeping bag, foam pad, clothes, and 16 oz of
          water). The hardest leg I've taken them on with their packs was
          4,500 ft in 7 miles. Just curious what your experiences have been.
          I'm always a little hesitant to push them too much as I don't want it
          to turn into a negative experience. On the other hand, I can't wait
          til they can start humping more miles and carry their fair share of
          gear. I don't know if I'd know how to act carrying only my gear!
          I'd have to get a different pack for sure!

          Brian
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
            All right Brian,

            This looks good. You can put it in its new home here;

            http://tinyurl.com/3cbbhv

            Be sure to select the "Owner Review" button.

            Congratulations on completing your first review.