OWNER REVIEW - Grilliput Portable Grill - Phillip Bradshaw

  • Phillip
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2007
      Grilliput Portable Grill

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Phillip Bradshaw
      Age: 28
      Gender Male
      Height: 6'-0" (183 cm
      Weight: 180 lbs. (82 kg)
      Email: stusic@...
      City: Columbus
      State: Georgia
      Country: United States
      Date: December 1, 2007
      Backpacking Background:
      I've been backpacking for around 15 years, mostly in north Georgia or
      North Carolina. I typically hike around 12 miles per day depending on
      terrain and consider myself a lightweight hiker, but not really
      ultralight. I take a weekend trip (3-day, 2-night) about once a month,
      and a weeklong trip about twice a year, including one dead-of-winter
      trip around February.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: nuardis GmbH
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer Website: http://www.grilliput.com/index.php
      Weight as Listed: 19.75 (560 gm.)
      Weight as delivered: 19.75 oz. (560 gm.)
      Length (packed, disassembled): 11-3/8" x 7/8" dia. (28.9 cm. x 2.2 cm.
      dia.)
      Cooking Area: 10" x 9-1/8" (25.4 cm. x 23.4 cm.)
      Total Pieces: 19
      Material: Stainless Steel
      Price: $29.00
      packs into itself, making the packed size and shape about that of a
      runner's baton (as they describe it on their site – I couldn't think
      of a good comparison).

      First Impressions:

      I bought this for my wife, who wanted a way to have better meals while
      on backpacking trips. I found this and thought it would make a great
      alternative to other grills that I've seen which fold flat, but still
      remain rather bulky. The Grilliput seemed better because the grill
      stores inside itself: everything fits inside of one of the main tubes.

      It came in a blister pack container with the packaged Grilliput and
      assembly instructions, which seemed fairly complicated until I did it
      four or five times in my living room.

      Upon opening the Grilliput, I immediately looked at all the pieces and
      thought that a piece was sure to be lost; 19 pices total, including:
      one (1) large tube with a ring at one end and a receiver for the
      screw-on cap; one (1) smaller tube with a notch at one end for
      cleaning the grill rods; one (1) threaded screw-on cap for the larger
      of the tubes, four (4) threaded legs, two (2) threaded hooked bars,
      and ten (10) rods that serve as the cooking surface.

      The tubes act as the main compartment for the rest of the assembly.
      All the pieces fit into the tube with enough room to easily pack it,
      but not so much that it adds extra weight or gives it a lot of room to
      move around inside and make noise.

      Field Use:

      The Grilliput has made its way into my pack more than expected. I find
      when I'm already carrying meat for grilling, I hardly notice the extra
      weight of the grill. It's big enough to cook two medium-sized steaks.
      It weighs about as much as any other grill I've seen (less than many),
      but is much more compact than any I've seen. It also does a pretty
      good job of warming a cup of coffee or soup (however, take care when
      removing the mug from the fire).

      I've used it on a few trips, ranging from the beaches of Sapelo
      Island, Georgia in August, to the Sipsey Wilderness Area in northern
      Alabama in early spring. Temperatures and weather were all
      accommodating, with no rain and mild temperatures.

      In my opinion, assembly is the biggest drawback of the Grilliput. The
      website says it takes less than five minutes, of which it took every
      second when I first got it. I have found it is easiest if you follow
      the instruction exactly; if you stray from the written directions, it
      tends to lead to problems later down in the assembly process. Now that
      I've used it quite a bit, the assembly isn't much of an issue, but I
      think it's a catch-22: you don't get good at assembling it until you
      use it a good deal, which can be a deterrent in bringing it in the
      first place.

      I was afraid I'd lose a piece eventually, but I haven't yet. I've
      found that the only times that the pieces aren't put together, either
      packed or assembled, are when I'm in the process of assembly or when
      I'm cleaning. When cleaning, I take care when laying down the pieces
      and keep them all together.

      Cleaning it has also exceeded my expectations. I let it sit in the
      fire for a while after cooking, which helps burn off any leftover food
      and helps remove some of the grease that gets on it from the food.
      When cleaning, I grab a handful of wet sand or the small rocks in
      streams and grab each rod, with the sand in my hand, and run it up and
      down the rod, then rinse off the sand or dirt in the water. This seems
      to do a good job of removing any cooked-on crusties, but doesn't do
      much for removing the grease from the cooked food. Washing the grease
      off with biodegradable soap is easy once the majority of the food is
      removed. Doing this makes it easier to pack the rods into the tube. It
      comes with a notch in the smaller tube which is used to run the small
      rods through, but it doesn't work very well unless the debris is
      pretty large, in which case I can tap it on a rock and knock it off.

      Lasting Impressions:

      In use, the Grilliput has proven durable. I tend to be rough on my
      gear, but it's held up well. A few of the rods that make up the
      grilling area have bent a little, but not enough to keep from using
      it. Any bends were minor, didn't show any signs of kinking or
      buckling, and were easily mended by hand.

      I still worry about losing a piece, but I haven't yet, so it's not too
      much of a concern. My only concern now is whether I'm willing to carry
      a couple extra pounds and eat well, or save the weight and just eat
      so-so meals.

      Overall, I've been delightfully surprised with this grill. I don't
      carry it on every trip; it's proven too heavy for extended trips or
      trips that I'm carrying more than normal (during winter treks), but
      has been great on short trips or basecamp-style trips. I find it's
      most oftenin my pack during summer, when my pack is lighter and the
      weather is good for grilling. One of my last thoughts is that if
      you're already carrying a couple of steaks into the backcountry, you
      can afford to carry another pound for a grill to cook them in a proper
      way.

      Pros: Great Design
      Compact
      Durable

      Cons: Weight
      Difficult Assembly
      Many Parts
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.