Owner Review - Gerber Suspension Multitool - Don Husband

  • dhubbsonthetubbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2007
      GERBER Suspension Multi-plier
      BY DON HUSBAND
      OR
      November 01, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Don Husband
      EMAIL: dhubbsonthetubbs@...
      AGE: 38
      LOCATION: NW Ct
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      My name is Don and I've been backpacking for 20 years. Most of
      my 'excursions' have been in the Northeast for a week or less at a
      time. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate as I have
      never taken a long trip or experienced what I would consider to be
      extreme. I am however a real gadget nut and enjoy trying new
      equipment. I have hiked a large portion of the AT (CT to Maine),
      mostly in 3-5 day legs. I also make an effort to hike/ski Tuckerman's
      Ravine (Mt. Washington) in the spring. Most of my hikes tend to be
      day hikes (as age and resposibilities increase) with only a couple of
      overnights a year. However you'd think I'm out for a week as I tend
      to 'prepare' for a worse case scenario. I would consider it an honor
      if given the chance to test gear and give feedback to my fellow
      hikers, either positive or negative.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Gerber
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Suspension-
      Multi-Plier-1471.htm
      MSRP: US$29
      Listed Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
      Measured Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
      Other details: Gerber Product Number 22-01471

      FIELD USE

      I've used this inexpensive multitool for everything and it's still
      going strong. The 'saw' has cut many branches for marshmallow sticks
      and is still quite sharp. The serrated edge knife really cuts through
      when the straight blade isn't enough. The screwdrivers get alot of
      abuse while out on the farm, though I'd like a smaller phillips for
      smaller work. This thing has been soaked for days and is showing no
      signs of rust. The open design helps with debris buildup. I can't
      find anything wrong with this tool, especially for the price!!

      SUMMARY

      Again, this tool has been a huge life saver on the trail and comes in
      handy on a daily basis. If you need an inexpensive and quality multi
      tool, buy this one!!

      THINGS I LIKE

      Strength
      Durability
      Locking mechanism
      The 'saw'
      Straight and serrated blades
      'Open' design keeps foreign objects (lint,dirt,mud) from accumulating
      inside.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      I've broken one flat screwdriver (my fault)

      SIGNATURE

      Don H.