REPOST OR - Jesse Fister - Gerber Diesel Multi-Plier with Tool Kit

  • mako_tree
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2007
      http://snipurl.com/1u63k

      Owner Review - Gerber Diesel Multi-Plier with Tool Kit

      Date: November 17, 2007
      Tester Information:
      Name: Jesse Fister
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 168 lb (76 kg)
      Email address: Mako_tree at Yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country: Missoula, Montana, USA
      Backpacking Background: I have been a hunter and a fisherman since my
      youth. I currently study wilderness preparation and survival. I often
      backpack with minimal gear weighing less than 20 lb (9 kg). As life
      permits, I try to get into the wilderness practicing my skills
      multiple times per week. I have backpacked all over Montana, including
      many beautiful high mountain lakes. I have also lived out of a
      backpack in Europe, parts of Brazil, and the Amazon basin. I enjoy
      lightweight backpacking in any environment and sometimes experience
      harsh survival situations with minimal gear.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Fiskars Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: I bought two of these tools, one in 2005 and
      another in 2007
      Total Length: 6.61 in (16.79 cm)
      Length Closed: 4.92 in (12.50 cm)
      Weight: 9 oz (255 g)
      Handle Material: Stainless Steel
      Sheath Material: Ballistic Nylon
      MSRP: N/A
      Included Tools:

      Tools: Needle-nose pliers; wire cutter; wire crimper; half serrated
      knife blade; cross point screwdriver; small, medium and large flat
      blade screwdrivers; can opener; bottle opener; file; saw and scissors.

      Toolkit Accessories: Small medium and large flat blade; four sided and
      six sided screwdrivers; adaptor (special adaptor tool on knife).
      Gerber_1 Gerber_2

      Gerber_sheathed_1 Gerber_sheathed_2

      Product Description:
      The Gerber Diesel is a stainless steel multi-tool. This blade has
      accompanied me through mud, blood, water, dirt and all varieties of
      weather and has yet to fail me. It has a ballistic nylon sheath with
      attractively sits the knife safely on my belt. I also bought the
      optional tool kit for this knife.

      Product Review:
      I have used this knife on almost every camping trip I have been on in
      the past couple of year. I have also brought it with me for urban use
      and construction. The knife has seen all varieties of environments and
      conditions. The buttons on the side of this tool provide a sliding
      mechanism that draws the plier tool along the rails when grabbed and
      guided. It can also be pushed forward or "flicked" open with the
      wrist. Either way, it brings the pliers into a locked and usable
      position. The rails then become the handles, and the pliers are ready
      for work. Bringing the pliers forward allows the other tools to become
      accessible by pulling the two handles away from each other and
      releasing the tools from the inside. It is like a variation on the
      original Leatherman style multi-tool concept.

      The tools have a locking mechanism at the end of both handles for
      safety that is easy to use. I open whichever tool is desired and it
      automatically snaps into a locked position when fully opened. I then
      pull the lock mechanism down to release its hold on the tool and
      return the tool to the closed and compact position. I find this task
      very easy to do, especially since I have had practice. My only
      complaint is that that the plier must be extended and opened to access
      the tools. This however could be considered a positive feature, as it
      provides a very comfortable and safe handle, especially when using the
      pliers, because the tools have no way of opening on the hand, and the
      odd tool shapes do not dig into the hand.

      I bought this knife with backpacking and survival in mind. My ideal
      multi-tool would
      contain a blade, saw, scissors, file, pliers and an awl. Of
      multi-tools I have seen, the Diesel comes the closest to my
      requirements, missing only the awl. The four main tools (blade, saw,
      scissors and file) have an indented mark on the side of the handles
      showing which tool rests there. They are all the easiest to access
      because they are opened from the side of the multi-tool. The other
      tools are more difficult to access because they require opening the
      outside tools to access them. These tools all work wonderfully, and
      better than most that I have seen.
      The knife blade has the lower half serrated with a kind of triangular
      tooth. This blade is very, very factory sharp, is easy to sharpen and
      works well. The serrations cut through wood, especially softwood
      sticks with ease. The blade is not impressively strong however, and I
      broke the very tip off my first Gerber Diesel blade trying to pry a
      little piece of bark off a branch I was carving. It sharpened out
      easily, and then I had a functional blade with a rounded tip.

      As far as my survival and camping experience goes and for all my small
      work (detailed carving, skinning animals, cutting rope, cutting small
      branches (especially green ones)), this blade is it! I was very
      impressed by its usefulness, sharpness and ability to do the small
      work. The various other small tasks that this blade performs stand
      this knife above many others. Since it is all stainless, so it will
      not easily rust.

      The other tools have worked well for me as well. The needle-nose
      pliers, wire clippers, and scissors all work perfectly, just as I
      expected that they should. I have been very impressed by them. I use
      the needle-nose pliers with wire clippers to lift my cooking can out
      of the fire, to strip or clip small wire, to break twigs, to fold tin
      edges over safely, to get fish-hooks out and any other task involving
      pinching, prying, plying, snipping, clipping, holding, folding or
      crushing. The tip is slightly magnetic, and I have used it to
      magnetize a sewing needle for an improvised compass.
      The scissors have skinned game, cut cloth and leather, cut rope and
      cordage and various other small cutting tasks. They have retained
      their sharpness well. I am especially impressed by how well the
      scissors were able to cut cloth and leather after lots of use.
      The file is excellent, with both sides being a different roughness. It
      has gotten use in rounding corners on wood, filing my finger and
      toe-nails down (in lieu of clippers), filing bone and performing other
      tasks such as sanding down knobs on wooden tools.
      Many saws on commercial multi-tools do not perform very well, but this
      saw is amongst the best that I have used. It has tri-dimensional
      triangular alternating teeth (whew!) on both sides with sharp small
      teeth at the base of each larger tooth. I have no trouble whatsoever
      going through small wood, bone or other similar materials. All the
      tools in both of the Gerber Diesel Tools that I own have functioned
      smoothly and functionally beyond my expectations.

      And it is not just useful in the woods. If it is construction work, or
      anything similar, this is my knife of choice; especially with the tool
      kit. The tool kit has the nine most common screw drivers with an
      adapter that makes works well, and gets me by as the "if I only had
      one choice" tool. One small problem that I have encountered with the
      tool kit are that the tools fit tightly into their rubber slots, and
      can be difficult to remove. Also, the toolkit fits into the front
      pocket of the knife, but awkwardly so. It adds weight to the knife and
      creates a sort of "bulge" in the front of the knife that I do not find
      especially appealing. While it does work well, I like to leave the
      toolkit at home when I do not need it. In other words, I bring the
      tool-kit as an "urban survival" modification, and leave it at my house
      when I go into the wilderness.

      My additional comment would be this: The knife is stainless steel. It
      got gummed up after about a year of use (including a trip through the
      Amazon, various work environments, and lots of travel and wilderness
      time in Montana). I attempted to oil it with vegetable oil. Bad
      choice. That gummed it up more when the dirt collected on the oil.
      Perhaps a better oil would work. To clean it I just run it through the
      dishwasher. I learned to make sure to "fan" the tools out while drying
      to prevent rust spots. I try to dry it fast and maybe with heat and/or
      a paper towel. The tool can get rust spots if left for prolonged
      periods with water in between the components.

      What an excellent tool. I would choose it as one of the best
      multi-tools on the market. It is a knife that has functioned well and
      durably for a long time with even the least of care. It combines
      sleek, good looking design with rugged, functional components. I love
      this knife for both the aesthetic characteristics, and tough,
      functional tools and design. Did I mention I like the look of this
      knife? It has so many uses!

      What I like:
      The specific kinds of tools on this knife
      Strong and rugged
      Sleek and functional
      Excellent blade: sharp, serrations work well, easy to sharpen.
      Excellent Saw: sharp, cuts very well.
      All tools work smoothly and on par with expectations
      Knife looks good
      Good carrying case
      Stainless steel
      Did I mention I like the look of this knife?

      Dislikes:
      Blade tip somewhat weak, not unexpectedly so (just use it for what it
      is made for)
      No Awl
      Toolkit is bulky and awkward, takes a moment to assemble
      Features open from inside (I rather like this feature however, because
      of safety and comfort)
      Pliers must be open to access tools
      Have gotten small rust spots between components where water rested for
      some time
      Can be difficult to clean