OWNER REVIEW, MSR Pocket Rocket, Don Meredith

  • Don Meredith
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2007
      This is my first owner review. I finally decided to contribute to BGT
      since I use it for every piece of gear that I purchase. Thanks for
      running such a great website!

      DM

      -----------------------------
      MSR Pocket Rocket Stove
      Owner Review

      Tester Biography

      Name: Don Meredith
      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (1.85 Meters)
      Weight: 250 Pounds (79 Kilograms)
      Email address: donmeredith74@...
      City, State, Country: Lexington, South Carolina, U.S.
      Date: 24-Nov-07

      Backpacking Background: I've been camping & backing for 10 years now.
      I enjoy backpacking in the mountains of North & South Carolina and
      kayak camping on the coast and on local rivers and lakes. The majority
      of my camping over the past few years has been on the Foothills Trail
      in South Carolina (www.foothillstrail.org). I typically camp one to
      two nights in warm humid weather typical of the Southeast. Depending
      on the location and weather I will either camp with a one-man tent or
      a tarp.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 3 oz (86 g) (excluding fuel canister)
      Weight as delivered: 3 oz (86 g)
      Height (in triangular carry case) 4 3/8" (111 mm)
      Width (in triangular carry case) 2 ¼" (57 mm)
      MSR List Price: US $39.95

      Features per MSR website: Ultralight, pocket-sized, simple
      lightning-fast operation, blazing heat output (boils 1L water in less
      than 3.5 min.), simmer or boil & built in windclip windshield.

      Test Conditions

      I have used this stove in a wide variety of environments over the past
      few years ranging from balmy nights kayak camping on the barrier
      islands off of South Carolina's coast to cold windy trips on Mount
      Mitchell in North Carolina.

      Product Description

      The MSR Pocket Rocket is a lightweight canister stove intended for
      lightweight backpacking. The stove threads onto the fuel canister that
      acts as a support base for the assembly. Three foldout legs that
      support the pot or pan and the flame is adjusted using a wire
      extension from a brass valve on the stove body. A tri-sectional clip
      is permanently attached to the top of the burner to act as a wind
      shield for the flame. No integrated ignition is included with the
      stove so a lighter or match is required to start a flame.

      Product Review

      The Pocket Rocket is a simple stove to use. You simply screw the stove
      to the fuel canister, light the flame and begin cooking. I have never
      had difficulty threading the stove to fuel canisters and have never
      witnessed a leak. I have not performed controlled tests to confirm the
      claims for boil time on MSR's website. My water is always ready for
      use in 2-3 minutes at camp so I am pleased with boil times. The
      stove's efficiency drops during windy conditions but the effect isn't
      severe. During breezy days I try to find a natural wind break when I
      set up the stove. This is usually sufficient to maintain efficient
      boil times.

      The Pocket Rocket has adjustable flame output from what I rate as way
      too hot to a nice simmer. The adjustment is easily done while cooking
      with bare hands or with gloves on. The stove's ability to simmer is
      convenient when cooking noodle or rice dishes.

      I have used the Pocket Rocket with a GSI 1L Halulite pot and with a
      SnowPeak 700 pot. Both size pots fit well on the stove. The stove is
      stable with either size pot given a reasonable amount of care picking
      the cook site.

      The Pocket Rocket comes with a triangular plastic storage case. This
      case serves well to store and protect the stove during trips and
      during storage at home.

      When folded for storage, the MSR Pocket Rocket will fit inside of
      almost any drinking cup or other small container, which is essential
      to protecting the stove when it is not in use. MSR provides a
      triangular plastic holder for the stove, but it just as easy to keep
      it in a pot or cup.

      Durability

      I have used the Pocket Rocket for three years now and it has been
      exposed to salt water and typical bumps and bruises encountered when
      backpacking. I haven't taken any particular care to clean or maintain
      the stove during this time. There is no sign of oxidation from the
      salt water and the stove still works as it did right out of the
      package. The only sign of age so far is that the pot support legs have
      loosened. This doesn't impact the function of the stove. There does
      not appear to be any risk that one of the legs will fall off as a
      result of additional years of use.

      Overall Impression

      I am very pleased with the MSR Pocket Rocket stove. Its ease of use,
      durability and compact light construction make it perfect for
      backpacking.

      Likes: 1. Light & Small 2. Simple to use 3. Durable
      Dislikes: I wouldn't change anything. My only though is the addition
      of an auto-ignite feature but this would add complexity and weight.

      --
      Don Meredith
      donmeredith74@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (jennksnowy AT yahoo.com).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi Don, thanks for deciding to contribute. It's good to hear you use
          the website often.

          This is a very good effort for a first review, and its good you chose
          something that you have obviously used a lot. I do have a few edits
          and things for your consideration though.

          Your edits will follow the normal convention:

          EDIT: Must correct

          Edit: Change is needed, with the wording up to you. If you strongly
          disagree with the edit, you are welcome to provide your reasoning and
          we'll take that under consideration.

          Comment: A recommendation for improvement that does not necessarily
          have to be followed, or merely a comment.

          -----------------------------
          MSR Pocket Rocket Stove

          ### EDIT: Actually the manufacturer has `PocketRocket' as one word,
          and this should be corrected to reflect their name throughout the
          review.

          Height: 6' 1" (1.85 Meters)
          Weight: 250 Pounds (79 Kilograms)

          ###EDIT: The conversion for 250 lb is 113 kg. Generally we like to
          see pounds abbreviated to lb and kilograms to kg, as well as meters
          to just `M', however this is an option and up to you. The
          conversions do have to be correct however.

          Date: 24-Nov-07

          ### EDIT: I realize you took this from the sample in the tester
          documentation, but we now require the date directly under the review
          title, so you need to move it from your biography and place it under
          the title. This format should be followed for all future reports.
          (Once in a while, requirements may be changed slightly and the
          documentation may not always reflect those changes, but these
          instances will be few and you will soon learn them.)

          Backpacking Background: I've been camping & backing for 10 years now.

          ### EDIT: backpacking instead of backing.

          I enjoy backpacking in the mountains of North & South Carolina and
          kayak camping on the coast and on local rivers and lakes. The majority
          of my camping over the past few years has been on the Foothills Trail
          in South Carolina (www.foothillstrail.org). I typically camp one to
          two nights in warm humid weather typical of the Southeast. Depending
          on the location and weather I will either camp with a one-man tent or
          a tarp.

          ### Comment: We really like to see a little more on your style. Do
          you consider yourself a traditional weight, light weight, or ultra-
          light weight hiker? Could you add that while still keeping your bio
          under 100 words?

          Test Conditions

          I have used this stove in a wide variety of environments over the past
          few years ranging from balmy nights kayak camping on the barrier
          islands off of South Carolina's coast to cold windy trips on Mount
          Mitchell in North Carolina.

          ### Edit: A good start, but we need just a little more. With a
          canister stove, lower temperatures are a special concern. Please
          state the temperature ranges, and also a general altitude range. (I
          realize altitude is fairly moderate even in the NC mountains, but for
          the sake of our international readers, it is preferred to give
          elevation ranges (i.e. 5000 ft/1500 m). Round the conversions in a
          sensible manner. I.E. The actual conversion for 5000 ft is 524 m,
          but since 5000 is a rounded estimate, the metric conversion should be
          also. The rules of rounding, abbreviating, etc. can be found at the
          bottom of the handy conversion tool at this url:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html
          Also, what types of surfaces have you used it on? Tabletops, bare
          dirt, rocks, level, unlevel, etc?

          Three foldout legs that support the pot or pan and the flame is
          adjusted using a wire
          extension from a brass valve on the stove body.

          ### Edit: This sentence needs a bit of clarification. Either you've
          left out part of a thought about the foldout legs, or have the
          word `that' in the sentence needlessly. Actually I'd like to see it
          broken into two sentences, with each a little more descriptive. Tell
          us how the foldout legs work – how far they fold out, how they work
          (swivel on a rivet & stop when the bottom of the leg touches the top
          of the stove base?) Tell us a little more about the wire extension –
          wedge shape, passes through a small hole in the brass valve, etc.
          Which direction for on? Which for off?

          Product Review

          The Pocket Rocket is a simple stove to use. You simply screw the stove
          to the fuel canister, light the flame and begin cooking.

          ### EDIT: It's a hard thing to learn, but we try to avoid using the
          word `you', since that normally is termed projecting. Some
          information on this is located in section 5, here:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SGAppendix&page=6
          So, please change the word `you' to "I", or use "One simply screws
          the stove…" or "A person simply screws the stove…"

          ### Comment: You might consider adding a bit on lighting the flame –
          do you usually use matches or a lighter? Or both alternately? Do
          you have to be careful of your hand position or the stove position
          when you light it, or is the burner easy to access with both lighter
          and match? Do you usually open the valve partially or fully to light
          it? These types of things might seem insignificant to an experienced
          backpacker, but important to someone new, so the more detail you can
          put in your report, the better. Once you've started applying for
          gear, showing that you can write detailed reports can help tip the
          scales in your favor when tester selections are made.

          I have never had difficulty threading the stove to fuel canisters
          and have never
          witnessed a leak. I have not performed controlled tests to confirm
          the claims for boil time on MSR's website. My water is always ready
          for use in 2-3 minutes at camp so I am pleased with boil times.

          ### Edit: Can you let us know how much water you typically boil? I
          believe MSR claims 3 ½ minutes for 1 L, so if yours is done in 2
          minutes I guess it is less water, but it would be nice to clarify
          that.

          The stove's efficiency drops during windy conditions but the effect
          isn't
          severe. During breezy days I try to find a natural wind break when I
          set up the stove. This is usually sufficient to maintain efficient
          boil times.

          ### Comment: Unfortunately, I did find the effect severe on mine.
          Over 17 minutes for a boil. The wind breaks undoubtedly help.

          The Pocket Rocket comes with a triangular plastic storage case. This
          case serves well to store and protect the stove during trips and
          during storage at home.

          When folded for storage, the MSR Pocket Rocket will fit inside of
          almost any drinking cup or other small container, which is essential
          to protecting the stove when it is not in use. MSR provides a
          triangular plastic holder for the stove, but it just as easy to keep
          it in a pot or cup.

          ### Comment: You might want to consider re-ordering the two
          paragraphs above a bit, since the second sort of repeats the
          information in the first, but states it a bit differently. You might
          even combine them into one paragraph. I.E. When folded for storage,
          the MSR PocketRocket will fit inside almost any drinking cup or other
          small container. MSR provides a triangular plastic holder for the
          stove, which serves well to store and protect it during trips and
          storage at home, but it is just as easy to keep it in a pot or cup.
          Also, do you have a favorite place you like to carry it in your
          pack? You might mention that.

          Durability

          I have used the Pocket Rocket for three years now and it has been
          exposed to salt water and typical bumps and bruises encountered when
          backpacking. I haven't taken any particular care to clean or maintain
          the stove during this time. There is no sign of oxidation from the
          salt water and the stove still works as it did right out of the
          package.

          ### Comment: Is the salt water from spray only or was the stove
          actually submerged? You might clarify that.

          Once you've addressed the necessary EDIT/Edits and made any changes
          you would like based on the comments, you will need to repost to this
          list, using the title: REPOST: Owner Review MSR Pocket Rocket
          Stove – Don Meredith.

          I look forward to seeing the revisions,
          Pam Wyant