OWNER REVIEW - Exped 7.5 DLX Airmat

  • msu1spartan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2007
      Name: Brian Mikels
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6¡¦ 6¡¨
      Weight: 230 Lb
      Email address: msu1spartan@...
      City, State, Country: Knoxville, TN USA
      Date: 11/09/07

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking when I was 10 and picked it back up about 4
      years ago. My backcountry companions are my wife & our two 8 year
      old twins. I¡¦m obsessed with light gear; however I tend to err on
      the side of safety, keeping everyone well fed, and keeping everyone
      reasonably comfortable. I do the bulk of my backpacking March thru
      November in the GSMNP doing 1-3 nighters at 6-12 miles per day.

      Exped 7.5 AirMat Pump Dlx

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Exped
      Year of Manufacture: 2006

      Listed Product Specs:
      oWeight: 31.4 ounces (890g)
      oLength: 72 in.
      oWidth: 26 in.
      oThickness: 3 in.

      As Shipped:
      oWeight: 32.8 ounces (931g)
      „XPad: 896g
      „XStuff Sack: 19g
      „XRepair Kit: 16g
      oLength: 74 in.
      oWidth: 24.5 in
      oThickness: 3.5 in.
      Packed Dimensions: 10 in X 5 in OD

      Product Description:

      The pad comes shipped in its stuff sack complete with a repair kit
      and is constructed of a polyester fabric that is similar to ripstop
      nylon in appearance, minus the slippery surface. The pad has a
      total of eight baffles approximately 3.5¡¨ in OD divided into 2
      separate air chambers. Two plastic deflation/ inflation twist lock
      valves are located at the foot of the pad. The integrated pump has
      an open cell foam pad in its center and 2 flexible inflation valves
      on the under side of the pad. There are two small sleeping bag
      attachment loops at the foot of the pad, each 3 inches off of the
      centerline for the pad. The stuff sack is constructed of ripstop
      nylon and has a simple drawstring and cord lock closure with a 1.5
      inch wide handle on the bottom of the sack. The repair kit comes
      in a small resealable bag and contains a 5g aluminum tube of
      adhesive & two 3.5 in. by 5 in. patches.

      Inflation:

      Inflating the pad using the integrated pump took me a few tries to
      figure out. The deflation valves must first be closed and the
      inflation valve stops opened. Covering the inflation valve with
      your foot and pressing downward forces the air trapped within
      the ¡§pump¡¨ through a one-way valve into the air chamber. Removing
      your foot from the opening allows the foam to expand and the pump is
      ready for another stomp. Describing the pump as a pillow is
      misleading as it doesn¡¦t protrude much (if any) beyond the top plane
      of the pad. It¡¦s really a pump that¡¦s integrated into the pad.
      Once I got the hang of it, I could inflate the pad with very little
      effort in less than a minute. I also have inflated the pad by
      blowing air into it and found the effort required to be minimal and
      was able to fully inflate the pad in just slightly over a minute.
      Although I think the integrated pump design is quite clever, I
      believe it to be an unnecessary luxury and the additional weight
      this feature adds isn¡¦t worth the convenience.

      Field Use:

      I¡¦m a warm sleeper and carry a 30F Marmot Arroyo Long. When the low
      temps are above 55, I sleep directly on the pad utilizing my
      unzipped bag as a blanket and have experienced no discomfort due to
      a ¡§cold¡¨ pad. I have used the pad down to 25F (30F is my low temp
      limit!) with my bag fully zipped, my Capilene 3¡¦s on, and a sock hat
      with very little discomfort from the cold.

      I¡¦m a side sleeper and tend to sleep in what could be loosely
      described as the fetal position with a wadded up jacket in between
      my knees. The pad is plenty wide enough to accommodate this
      position and I have found it very easy to keep on the pad throughout
      the night. Sleeping comfortably is a priority for me and I am
      pleased with this pad. On soft ground I have slept well with no
      soreness. On hard rocky soil I learned the importance of getting
      the pad inflation adjusted correctly. The adjustment valves are
      located at the foot of the pad and my wife was quite annoyed by
      my ¡§adjusting¡¨ during the night. I now sleep with the foot of the
      pad by my head to allow for quick and quiet adjustment. I have also
      experienced one of the two air chambers going flat during the
      night. It turned out that the deflation valve wasn¡¦t closed quite
      tight enough allowing a very slow leak to ensue. I was too lazy to
      figure that out at 2AM, so I slept on the half of the mat that was
      still inflated. It took quite a bit of care to not slip off it
      during the night; however it was doable and considerably more
      comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Overall I think the pad is
      pretty comfortable for a backpacking air mattress although I do get
      sore shoulders & hips when using it. If I were designing this pad I
      would narrow it up, make it a mummy shape, and then put all of the
      weight savings into making the pad thicker. My quest for a stripped
      down pad made of the lightest available materials and thick enough
      to keep me from getting sore shoulders & hips unfortunately
      continues on.

      Deflation of the pad is pretty easy. I just open both deflation
      valves at the foot of the pad, fold the mat along the long axis into
      quarters and roll it up. I do have to put some effort in keeping
      the folds of correct proportion while rolling it up. After I have
      it rolled up, it slips easily into the stuff sack. I carry the pad
      on the outside bottom of my pack; however it would pack easily on
      the inside.

      All things considered, this pad is pretty comfortable given the
      available alternatives; however I think the width is a little
      excessive. I have recently purchased the Exped 7.5 AirMat which is
      19¡¨ wide.

      Things I like:
      1. The piece of mind that comes with two separate air chambers
      2. Anti slip fabric
      3. Easy to inflate

      Things I don't like:
      1. Pad does not prevent my shoulders & hips from getting sore
      2. The added weight from the pump
      3. Pad width was wider than what I need
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (jennksnowy AT yahoo.com).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager

        BTW - You will need to convert all your weights, measurements,
        temperatures, etc. so they list both the Imperial and Metric totals.
      • msu1spartan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
          Name: Brian Mikels
          Age: 36
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6' 6" (198cm)
          Weight: 230lb (104kg)
          Date: 11/09/07

          Backpacking Background:
          I started backpacking when I was 10 and picked it back up about 4
          years ago. My backcountry companions are my wife & our two 8 year
          old twins. I'm obsessed with light gear; however I tend to err on
          the side of safety, being well fed, and keeping everyone reasonably
          comfortable. I do the bulk of my backpacking March thru November in
          the GSMNP doing 1-3 nighters at 6-12 miles (10-19 km) per day.

          Exped 7.5 AirMat Pump Dlx

          Product Information:

          Manufacturer: Exped
          Year of Manufacture: 2006

          Listed Product Specs:
          Weight: 31.4oz (890g)
          Length: 72" (183cm)
          Width: 26" (66cm)
          Thickness: 3" (7.6cm)

          As Shipped:
          Weight: 32.8oz (931g)
          Pad: 31.6oz (896g)
          Stuff Sack: .7oz (19g)
          Repair Kit: .6oz (16g)
          Length: 74" (188cm)
          Width: 24.5" (62cm)
          Thickness: 3.5" (9cm)
          Packed Dimensions: 10" long X 5" diameter (25cm x 13cm)

          Product Description:

          The pad comes shipped in its stuff sack complete with a repair kit
          and is constructed of a polyester fabric that is similar to ripstop
          nylon in appearance, minus the slippery surface. The pad has a
          total of eight baffles approximately 3.5" (9cm) in diameter divided
          into 2 separate air chambers. Two plastic deflation/inflation twist
          lock valves are located at the foot of the pad. The integrated pump
          has an open cell foam pad in its center and 2 flexible inflation
          valves on the under side of the pad. There are two small sleeping
          bag attachment loops at the foot of the pad, each 3" (7.6cm) off of
          the centerline for the pad. The stuff sack is constructed of
          ripstop nylon and has a simple drawstring and cord lock closure with
          a 1.5" (3.8cm) wide handle on the bottom of the sack. The repair
          kit comes in a small resealable bag and contains a .2oz (5g)
          aluminum tube of adhesive & two 3.5" (9cm) by 5" (13cm) patches.

[...]

          I'm a warm sleeper and carry a 30F (-1C) Marmot Arroyo Long. When
          the low temps are above 55F (13C), I sleep directly on the pad
          utilizing my unzipped bag as a blanket and have experienced no
          discomfort due to a cold pad. I have used the pad down to 25F (-4C
[...]

          during the night but it wasn't too burdensome. Overall I think the
          pad is pretty comfortable for a backpacking air mattress although I
          do get sore shoulders & hips when using it. My wife (112lb / 51kg)
          finds the pad to be almost as good as a regular matress and
          experiences no soreness. If I were designing this pad I would
          narrow it up, make it a mummy shape, and put all of the weight
          savings into making the pad thicker. My quest for a stripped down
          pad made of the lightest available materials yet thick enough to
          keep me from getting sore shoulders & hips unfortunately continues
          on.

          Deflation of the pad is easy. I just open both deflation valves at
          the foot of the pad, fold the mat along the long axis into quarters
          and roll it up. I do have to put some effort in keeping the folds
          of correct proportion while rolling it up. After I have it rolled
          up, it slips easily into the stuff sack. I carry the pad on the
          outside bottom of my pack; however it would pack easily on the
          inside.

          All things considered, this pad is pretty comfortable given the
          available alternatives; however I think the width is a little
          excessive. I have recently purchased the Exped 7.5 AirMat which is
          19" (48cm) wide.

          Things I like:
          1. The piece of mind that comes with two separate air chambers
          2. Anti slip fabric
          3. Easy to inflate

          Things I don't like:
          1. Pad does not prevent my shoulders & hips from getting sore
          2. The added weight from the pump
          3. Pad width was wider than what I need
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hello Brian,

            Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
            will take the following format;

            EDIT: must be changed

            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
            to the subject line. Include your name also please.

            Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
            you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
            for examples of the proper form.

            Ray

            The first thing you need is (quoted from the lessons) "Name of item
            being tested prominently displayed at top of page."

            And this from the SG, "Requirements: Name of item being tested or
            reviewed, and the report date, must appear prominently at the top of
            the page.

            It should also say "Owner Review" somewhere there. I do mine like
            this;

            Snow Peak Trek Titanium Plate
            by Raymond Estrella
            OWNER REVIEW
            October 14, 2007

            Feel free to see how others do it.

            ***Height: 6' 6" (198cm)
            ***Weight: 230lb (104kg)

            EDIT: you need spaces after all the numbers before the unit
            abbreviations, i.e. 230 lb (104 kg). Please check for all instances.

            ***City, State, Country: Knoxville, TN USA

            EDIT: the state needs to be spelled out for the benefit of our
            international readers.

            ***Date: 11/09/07

            EDIT: the date needs to be spelled out for the benefit of our
            international readers that use different formats. (November 09, 2007)

            ***My backcountry companions are my wife & our two 8 year
            old twins.

            Comment: cool, I have 8 year old twins too. One of each.

            ***I do the bulk of my backpacking March thru November in
            the GSMNP

            EDIT: the first time you use this you need to spell it out. Most
            folks will not know what the GSMNP is. I have to remember that all
            the time with the PCT.

            ***Exped 7.5 AirMat Pump Dlx

            EDIT: DLX (all caps as that is the way the manufacturer does it)

            ***Weight: 31.4oz (890g)
            ***Length: 72" (183cm)
            ***Width: 26" (66cm)
            ***Thickness: 3" (7.6cm)

            EDIT: I don't know which site you are getting these numbers from, but
            neither the US (OR) site or the Swiss site have these numbers as
            listed. (Close though) Did they come from a package or tag? If not
            can you please change them to what they have "listed"?

            ***The repair kit comes in a small resealable bag and contains a .2oz
            (5g)

            EDIT: we are asked to put a zero before the decimal point (0.2 oz)

            ***Covering the inflation valve with your foot and pressing downward
            forces the air trapped within the pump through a one-way valve into
            the air chamber. Removing your foot from the opening allows the foam
            to expand

            EDIT: we need to keep the review in the first person and avoid the
            use of "you" and "your" so as not to project our feelings our
            findings onto the reader. Please replase "your" with "my"

            ***I'm a warm sleeper and carry a 30F (-1C) Marmot Arroyo Long. When
            the low temps are above 55F (13C),

            EDIT: need a space at the temps too. 30 F (-1 C), etc. Please check
            for all instances.

            ***My wife finds the pad to be almost as good as a regular matress

            EDIT: mattress