OR - Black Diamond Expedition Poles- Ray

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
      Here is a review for the call this month. HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2u2o6p

      Thanks,

      Black Diamond Expedition Poles
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      November 06, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.bdel.com
      MSRP: US $79.95
      Listed Weight: 1 lb 5 oz (600 g)
      Actual Weight: 1 lb 6.2 oz (629 g)
      Length listed: 125 cm (49 in) Also available in 140 cm (55 in) model.
      Collapsed length listed: 57 cm (22.5 in) Verified accurate
      Longest length: 127 cm (50 in) at the line marked "stop"
      Color: Blue

      Product Description

      The Black Diamond Expeditions poles (hereafter called the Expeditions
      or poles) are winter ski and trekking poles. They are not grouped
      with the company's Trekking Pole line but are in a separate Poles
      category (should it prove to be difficult to locate on their web
      site).

      They are made of three telescoping sections that slide into the next
      larger section to allow them to collapse to an easier to carry and
      handle length. (A funny thing that the manufacturer say about the
      benefits is it makes them easier to carry in European rental cars.
      Wow, they must be small indeed…)

      The sections of the poles are made aluminum, the first of which is
      anodized blue with Black Diamond's name on it. The two lower sections
      are clear coated and have adjustment marks printed on them. The marks
      are printed in 5 cm (1 in) increments from 85 cm to 125 cm (33.5 to
      49 in). A "stop" is printed 1.2 cm (0.5 in) above the last mark to
      keep me from extending it too far.

      Attached to the lower ends of the top and middle pole sections are
      the FlickLocks, Black Diamond's patented locking system. In the
      picture to the right one of them is in the open position, the other
      is closed. The body of the FlickLock wraps around the shaft, and when
      open offers little resistance. When the curved lever is rotated in to
      snap against the shaft a cam action tightens the body of the lock,
      securely holding the sections of shaft in place.

      The baskets screw onto the bottom of the shaft and then snap over a
      groove to keep them from unscrewing. The ¾ baskets are in this
      picture but I have all the optional baskets too. They consist of a
      small trekking basket and a large powder basket. All of them may be
      seen below.

      At the very end is an aluminum tip with a press-in, replaceable
      carbide point. The carbide is concave instead of knurled at the tip.

      At the other end of the Expeditions is the dual-density handles. The
      sections that are blue are a hard plastic material. The areas that
      are black are very soft rubbery feeling material. After three years
      this material is still very soft and grippy. Some adjustable straps
      top off the poles. The straps can be removed by taking the locking
      screws out of the top of the handles.

      Field Conditions

      I have used the Expeditions on every snow related trip from early
      2004 until winter of 2006. This includes trips to Mount Shasta, White
      Mountain, Mount San Gorgonio and San Jacinto (and neighboring peaks)
      and many places in the eastern Sierra Nevada. Conditions have ranged
      from beautiful sunny winter days to a few full-on blizzards and
      everything in between. The temperatures encountered have run from a
      low of 4 F to 50 F (-16 to 10 C) and elevations to over 14000' (4270
      m). The terrain included snow, ice, rock and occasional bare dirt,
      though not often. Here is a shot of them in action near the Round
      Valley Ranger hut in San Jacinto State Park.

      Observations

      I bought the Expeditions for one reason. I needed to find a trekking
      pole that would not collapse constantly when used on snow and ice.
      The two pair of poles I had at the time would both loosen from the
      slight twisting motion I make when planting and pushing off. I had
      read about the Black Diamond FlickLock system and decided to give it
      a try. I ordered a pair for my brother-in-law Dave at the same time.

      They worked wonderfully. I have probably used these poles for 200
      miles (320 km) or more of hiking and have never had them slip a
      single time. The FlickLocks hold very well and are easy to adjust. I
      am able to easily adjust them even with gloves on.

      They are very strong also. Mine are pretty scratched up from banging
      into rocks and such but show no signs of wear besides the cosmetic. I
      have used the poles as stakes and snow anchors. Once I anchored my
      sled with the poles to keep it from blowing away during the night.
      Yes the winds were that heavy. (My ice axe was anchoring the deadman
      point on my tent that night.)

      As mention earlier the grips are still in good shape. My only
      complaint about the poles is that the grips are a bit narrow for my
      liking. Wearing gloves helps a bit, but I am a very warm-blooded
      hiker and lose the gloves every chance I get to help keep me cool, as
      can be seen in the picture below taken near Mount Shasta in
      California.

      The tips are still in very good shape also. They stick into, and
      grip, ice quite well and do nicely on rock too. As they have only
      been used in winter conditions the tips have not been in many places
      to be dulled though.

      I rarely use the straps while hiking. I will put them on when skiing.
      I have a randoneé set-up that I use on long trips pulling a gear
      sled. I leave the straps set in a very open position.

      I do not use the Expeditions much any longer. Not that there is
      anything wrong with them. It is just that I switched to Black
      Diamond's Alpine CF poles for the lighter weight.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (jennksnowy AT yahoo.com).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
          I sen't in my application, when do I hear back ?

          Do you have more testers then needed, ?

          Bob

        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2007
            Greetings Ray,

            Your edits follow. Upload when ready to

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Black%20Diamond%20Expedition%20Poles/

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/2kfogc

            Best,

            Ted.

[...]

            ### EDIT: Expedition

            poles (hereafter called the Expeditions
            or poles) are winter ski and trekking poles. They are not grouped
            with the company's Trekking Pole line but are in a separate Poles
            category (should it prove to be difficult to locate on their web
            site).

            They are made of three telescoping sections that slide into the next
            larger section to allow them to collapse to an easier to carry and
            handle length.

            ### COMMENT: "easier length to carry and handle" would read better

            (A funny thing that the manufacturer say about the
            benefits is it makes them easier to carry in European rental cars.
            Wow, they must be small indeed…)

            The sections of the poles are made

            ### EDIT: of

            aluminum, the first of which is
            anodized blue with Black Diamond's name on it. The two lower sections
            are clear coated and have adjustment marks printed on them. The marks
            are printed in 5 cm (1 in) increments from 85 cm to 125 cm (33.5 to
            49 in). A "stop" is printed 1.2 cm (0.5 in) above the last mark to
            keep me from extending it too far.

            At the other end of the Expeditions is

            ### EDIT: are

            the dual-density handles. The
            sections that are blue are a hard plastic material. The areas that
            are black are very soft rubbery feeling material. After three years
            this material is still very soft and grippy. Some adjustable straps
            top off the poles. The straps can be removed by taking the locking

            As mention

            ### EDIT: mentioned

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2007
              Thank you Ted,

              I have made all changes and will upload right now.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2007
                HAve you also completed your first two Owner Reviews? I'm not
                recalling any Bob's recently and without your last name it makes it
                even more difficult.

                jamie d
                Edit Admin Manager