OWNER REVIEW - Coleman Pack-Away Lantern R Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
      For your editing pleasure. HTML in Tests folder at
      http://tinyurl.com/2n5tdy. Richard

      COLEMAN EXPONENT 4AA PACK-AWAY LANTERN
      Owner Review by Richard Lyon
      October 30, 2007
      Personal Details and Backpacking Background
      Male, 61 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA
      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since 1986. I do a week long trip every summer, and often
      take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at
      altitudes 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp
      backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
      share of forced marches too. Though always looking for ways to
      reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose
      a bit more weight over foregoing camp conveniences I've come to
      expect.
      PRODUCT DETAILS.
      The Coleman exponent 4AA Pack-Away Lantern is an LED lantern
      powered, as might be expected, by four AA alkaline batteries. Its
      distinguishing feature is its small size; when packed up it's about
      the size of a pack of cigarettes. Coleman achieves this by
      designing the product so that the user may push the top portion of
      the Lantern, which includes the bulb and reflector, down into the
      lower "metalized" plastic case for compact and secure storage.
      When extended for use, by pushing a button on the top plastic piece
      the Lantern will go through four settings, in the following order:
      high, low, strobe, and off. According to Coleman the Lantern
      features a "Cree XLamp® XR-E LED" bulb than generates 95 lumens of
      light on the high setting. The top section includes a small handle
      that folds down into a slot cut for it. Both button and stowed
      handle lie flush with the top. The top section, with the bulb,
      slides up easily when I pull on the top; it's not necessary to use
      the handle. I've done it one-handed with mittens on. There's a
      faint hydraulic sound when the Lantern is opened or closed.
      Manufacturer: The Coleman Company, Inc. Quotations in this review,
      and the photo at left, come from this website.
      Website: www.coleman.com.
      Year Purchased: 2007
      Size, listed: Closed: 3.2 x 2.7 x 1.9 in (8.1 x 6.9 x 4.8 cm); Open:
      4.875 x 2.7 x 1.9 in (12.4 x 6.9 x 4.8 cm)
      Size, measured: Closed: 3.1 x 2.7 x 1.8 in (7.9 x 6.9 x 4.6 cm);
      Open: 4.75 x 2.7 x 1.8 in (12.1 x 6.9 x 4.6 cm)
      Weight, listed: 8 oz (227 g) with batteries
      Weight, measured: 8.25 oz (234 g) with batteries
      Illumination time, listed: 12 hours on low or 5 hours on high
      MSRP: $34.95 US (including four AA batteries)
      FIELD USE
      I have taken the Lantern on two week-long trips, one in the
      Scapegoat Wilderness, Montana, in early August and a trek from the
      Lone Star trailhead to the Bechler Ranger Station in Yellowstone
      Park, Wyoming and Idaho, in mid-September. On the Scapegoat trip
      conditions were warm, with temperatures ranging from about 40 F (5
      C) in early morning to 90 F (32 C) during the day at about 6500 feet
      (2000 m). In Yellowstone our first day and night were cold, a high
      of about 40 F (5 C) and a nighttime low of 12 F (-11 C). Typical
      autumn weather for the Park returned the next day and stayed with us
      for the balance of our trip: sunny and clear during the day, with
      highs about 70 F (21 C), and clear and cold (~25 F/-4 C) at night.
      Elevation ranged from 8500 to 7500 feet (2700 – 2200 m) as we
      gradually descended through the Bechler River Canyon and meadows.
      I took the Lantern on a solo overnight in southern Oklahoma at the
      beginning of September. Mild elevation, maybe 1000 ft (300 m), and
      temperatures from 60-95 F (16-34 C).
      On each trip I camped by myself in a two-person tent and mostly used
      the Lantern in two ways. I clipped the Lantern to the interior
      poles of my tent with a small carabiner for overhead illumination in
      the tent, and when I was ready for some bedtime reading I'd place
      the Lantern on the page of the open book that I wasn't reading to
      keep the book flat and to provide enough light to read without my
      glasses. Occasionally in the early morning, and once in the early
      evening, I placed the Lantern on a nearby surface for extra
      illumination when I was working in the camp kitchen in low light.
      One such morning was at the 12 F (-11 C) low in Yellowstone, and the
      Lantern performed without any delay or reduced output.
      I also used the Pack-Away for emergency light when I lost power for
      a few hours at my house.
      OBSERVATIONS
      First and best of all, this lantern is indeed small. I don't have a
      special place for it in my pack, it just goes in wherever there's
      space. The corners are slightly rounded, so I needn't worry about
      scraping or denting adjacent objects. Its size alone has changed my
      thinking about packing a lantern. Almost all of my tents are not
      fire-retardant, immediately ruling out gas or candle lanterns. I've
      shied away from electric lanterns because of bulk, figuring that I
      could get all the light I needed from a headlamp and that
      convenience didn't justify the extra weight. Not any more. The
      Pack-Away is now a regular and welcome part of my backpacking kit.
      A second reason for this change of mind is the Lantern's
      illuminating power. The LED bulb sits atop a cylindrical metal
      reflector with a shiny cone-shaped feature at the bottom, and this
      combination generates ample bright white light for dressing,
      packing, and other "bedroom" activities. If I've brought my reading
      glasses I can leave the Lantern hung from the tent dome for bedtime
      reading, even at the Low setting. On High my tent is brightly lit.
      The reflector causes streaks or fingers of light, rather than the
      uniform glow of a standalone incandescent bulb or gas mantle,
      requiring some care in placement when I place the Lantern on my book
      for reading.
      The batteries are seated in the lower section of the Lantern, in a
      chamber accessed by turning a small screw on the bottom. The screw
      has an indentation into which I place a coin or the screwdriver
      blade of my knife and turn clockwise. The lid fits very tightly and
      I couldn't unscrew the compartment without an implement.
      I've used only the batteries supplied by Coleman, which are everyday
      alkaline AAs, not anything special. Though I haven't been keeping
      time I strongly suspect I've exceeded the five hours' capacity on
      high beam, without any noticeable dimming.
      It's easy to turn the Lantern on in the dark. I stash the Lantern
      (in the open position) in the tent pocket closest to my head.
      Though the button lies flush with the top I can find it by feel in
      complete darkness. I haven't yet tried to change the batteries in
      the dark.
      The Lantern has a suicide feature – the light goes out automatically
      whenever I push the top section back into its nest.
      So far I've had only one issue with the Lantern. Once in a while
      the light will go out when I move the Lantern slightly or knock it
      over, requiring that I re-push the button. After this happened a
      couple of times I re-seated the batteries, which seemed to solve the
      problem for that evening. But not permanently, as the same thing
      happened the following night. Perhaps something's slightly out of
      place inside.
      What I Like
      Small size makes it easy to pack.
      Light weight.
      Power – it packs a wallop.
      What I Don't
      Occasional failure when jostled.
      Suggestion
      If the hook were on the bottom instead of the top I'd get more light
      when the Lantern's hanging in my tent. That might, however, require
      inverting the reflector.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (jennksnowy AT yahoo.com).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
          Hi Richard,

          Another fine review. Just a couple edits and you are good to place it
          here;

          http://tinyurl.com/3a5nb5

          Thanks,

          Ray

          Comment: I noticed that you capitalized Lantern throughout. I do not
          really know that that is proper as it is not the name without Coleman
          or Pack-Away in front of it. At least you are consistent with it. I
          won't make an edit out of it but a higher pay-grade may say something
          later.

          ***According to Coleman the Lantern features a "Cree XLamp® XR-E LED"
          bulb

          EDIT: I realize that this is a direct quote but we are asked to
          remove trademark, copyright, etc. symbols from our reviews.

          ***Website: www.coleman.com.

          EDIT: the URL is not clickable in the HTML version

          ***I'd place the Lantern on the page of the open book that I wasn't
          reading to keep the book flat

          Edit: I think you mean; "I'd place the Lantern on my open book,
          placing it on the page that I wasn't reading to keep the book flat."
          The way it is now reads funny, like you have another book there you
          are not reading.

          ***After this happened a couple of times I re-seated the batteries,
          which seemed to solve the problem for that evening. But not
          permanently, as the same thing happened the following night. Perhaps
          something's slightly out of place inside.

          Comment: I have had that happen too. I took a cork screw and threaded
          it onto the little spring that contacts the negative end of the
          batteries and pulled it slightly out a bit.
        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
            Ray, Revised and uploaded. I also fixed some spacing problems. A
            couple of comments below. Regards, Richard

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Richard,
            >

            > Comment: I noticed that you capitalized Lantern throughout. I do
            not
            > really know that that is proper as it is not the name without
            Coleman
            > or Pack-Away in front of it. At least you are consistent with it.
            > won't make an edit out of it but a higher pay-grade may say
            something
            > later.
            --- I do this often, as you do after a (hereinafter the Lantern) in
            your reports. I do parenthetical defined terms all day long in my
            work and I don't think it's needed for clarity, but of course I'll
            abide the higher-ups.

            --------I'll try it.