EDITS: REI Cirque ASL 2 Tent/Andy M.

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2007
      Hi, Andy-

      It appears that you have taken a thorough look at the Cirque tent and have
      related what you saw. I looked at your HTML version. It looks great, with
      a nice use of pictures. Your links worked for me. I made several
      suggestions about breaking up run-on sentences. I stopped towards the end
      pf your report. Please go back through and consider breaking up more of
      them. Also, I would be more comfortable with your holding off on listing
      problems that you feel you MIGHT encounter until you use the tent and can
      report on your findings. For example, you say you are concerned that the
      tent might be too small to use with a second person and that you might have
      to store your gear differently. From past experiences, both with my own
      reports and from reading those of others, it seems that we generally
      discourage pointing out problems before they are encountered. Between
      sleeping in hammocks and working with Scouts, I�m accustomed to hanging my
      pack from a tree, not keeping it inside my sleeping area. Actually, once my
      food, utensils, and other �smellables� are hung, there isn�t much left TO my
      pack. I imagine if I did much more winter backcountry camping, I would want
      more �stuff� out, too.

      You will find specific edits below: EDITS are the ones I consider critical
      and Edits are suggestions.

      You already know that this report is late and I hope you will make your
      edits and upload ASAP.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      REI Cirque ASL 2 Tent

      Test series by Andrew Mytys

      (SNIP)

      Warranty: Every REI product is 100% guaranteed to meet the customer's high
      standards. Buyer's may return or exchange items by mail or at any REI retail
      location.

      ****EDIT: Buyers should be plural here, not possessive, so please drop the
      apostrophe.

      (SNIP)

      �orange-black on the front wall - such an arrangement would make it
      difficult to confuse which pole end aligned with which grommet, as the
      colors would always match correctly. The user would then only have to be
      instructed to align the colored pole tips with the colors on the webbing,
      and to cross the poles crossed on either wall.

      ****EDIT: ��Cross the poles crossed�� sounds odd. Would �cross the poles
      on either wall� or ensure the poles cross on either wall� convey your
      meaning better?

      (SNIP)

      To attach the fly, I centered the beak of the awning against the length of
      the floor, making sure that the Cirque's "skylight" was positioned above the
      netting on the tent's ceiling. The fly attaches
      to the body of the tent along its center and at the sides near where the
      tent poles cross using hook-and-loop fasteners, and also along the floor at
      each corner using a strip of webbing with a grommet in it that attaches to
      the tips of the tent's poles.

      ***Edit: The last sentence runs on too much. I suggest that either you
      break it up or add more punctuation to separate thoughts into related
      segments. You might try this: The fly attaches to the body of the tent (1)
      along its center, (2) at the sides near where the tent poles cross, and (3)
      along the floor at each corner. (Add how the top attaches to the fly.) The
      side-crossing attachments use hook-and loop fasteners, while at the floor
      corners use a strip of webbing with a grommet in it to connect to the tips
      of the tent's poles.

      (SNIP)

      Once the fly is attached to the tent, it can be further secured bytightening
      the webbing found at each corner. The two vestibules integrated into the fly
      are then staked out, solidifying the tent's
      stability. The tensioning system that's been mated with the vestibule
      pullouts is simple and effective to use - once the loop end of the cord has
      been staked out, the cord's other end is pulled until the
      pitch is taut, then it is wedged into the cleat's slot to "lock" it in place
      - no tying of knots is required, and should the fabric stretch out a bit the
      fly can be readjusted by pulling on the cord again and locking it into
      place. This "locking cleat" design can be seen in the image at the right.

      ****Edit: The above paragraph has another run-on sentence. Consider
      replacing the dashes with periods and capitalizing the words following each.
      These phrases look as if they could well stand alone as sentences.

      Each vestibule can be opened a bit over half-way, and there's a hook that's
      found in the lower corner of the vestibule that allows it to be pulled back
      and secured to the opposite corner so that the vestibule remains open,
      allowing for free access to the tent's door.

      ****Edit: You guessed it-run-on. Consider this: Each vestibule can be
      opened a bit over half-way, and held open by a hook found in the lower
      corner. This allows the door to be secured to the opposite corner so that
      the vestibule remains open, allowing for free access to the tent's door.

      Users can also opt to unsecure the vestibule's pullout from the stake, roll
      it up, and secure it under the Cirque's awning.

      ****Edit: Dictionary.com lists only insecure for a definition/synonym for
      unsecure. I imagine in some circles it is used frequently, but you might
      consider �release� in this case.

      (SNIP)

      The interior of the Cirque is extremely generous in size for the solo
      backpacker. It has a 40 inch (102 cm) peak height, with a large amount of
      ceiling space occupying a height at or near this peak. I can sit up
      comfortably in the Cirque for extended periods of time without feeling
      cramped, and there's plenty of space to the sides to change clothes, etc.
      The slope of the walls is relatively steep, allowing me to lay down inside
      with a lofty winter sleeping bag rated to hold individuals
      up to 6' 6" (2 m) in length without touching any walls.

      ****Edit: �In the vernacular,� people misuse lay down, but FYI, the correct
      form is �lie down.�

      While the tent seems to be a palace for one person, I'm a bit concerned as
      to how it will work out with two hikers sharing the interior. As it is a
      four-season shelter, I expect that I will have a
      lofty sleeping bag, lofty clothes, and other "bulky" gear inside - I look at
      the remaining floor space around me and ask myself, is there enough room
      left over to share? Tight quarters, should this prove to be true, is
      necessarily not a bad thing in a four-season tent, as this translates into
      less unused air space and thus a potentially warmer interior. On the other
      hand, hugging walls can create issues with condensation. Is the Cirque best
      reserved for solor hikers and "couples," or can two strangers share the
      space without feeling awkwardly close? I look forward to testing this
      shelter in the field and reporting back my experiences.

      ****EDIT: Spelling �solor hikers� should be solo hikers. (Have you beer
      hanging out with some Boston folks? Here many seem to drop �r� from endings
      where they belong, only to add them where they don�t belong.

      ***Edit: Another �vernacular� thing. Many people add back to reporting,
      but the �back� is redundant.

      Gear Storage:

      The Cirque comes with two mammoth mesh pockets that take up much of the
      walls at the head and foot of the tent. There's plenty of room to store
      flashlights, hats, gloves, 1st-aid kit, socks, even pants. The Cirque also
      has many small loops hanging off its ceiling that can be used for suspending
      cord, a gear attic, or schwag pockets.

      ****EDIT: For the edification of your readers, either explain �schwag� or
      use a more commonly accepted word, please.

      (SNIP)

      I'm not saying the vestibule doesn't have enough room for my gear by any
      means - I'm just saying that it's small enough to where I'll have to alter
      the way I normally lay out my gear, particularly when I'm sharing the tent
      with another person. As you can see in the image to the right, a pair of
      running shoes already takes up a good deal of floor space under the Cirque's
      vestibule.

      ***Edit: Vernacular/style issue: ��it's small enough to where I'll have
      to alter the way�� I will chalk it up to �style,� if you prefer, but please
      know that this is not grammatically correct. Better from a form
      perspective: ��it's small enough that I'll have to alter the way��

      Pole Repair Tube: The pole repair tube is something new for me. I expect
      tent materials and designs to be durable to the point where I don't have to
      worry about repairs in the field. Given that this is a four-season tent,
      however, I could see that the weight of a wet snowfall onto the roof of the
      tent could be of concern. Essentially, the pole repair tube is a short
      section of hollow aluminum tubing that has an interior diameter large enough
      to accommodate the outer diameter of the Crique's main poles. If a pole
      should break, the break in the pole would be taped, and then the pole repair
      tube would be centered over the break and taped into place.

      ***EDIT: Spelling error: Crique's. Perhaps you were hearing echoes of
      Steve Erwin�s. �Crikey!�

      Guyline and Tighteners: The Cirque comes with three sections of guyline with
      line tighteners attached that can be attached to various pullouts along the
      fly's parameter to provide additional stability in inclement conditions.

      ****EDIT: I suspect you meant �perimeter,� not parameter, above.

      Instructions for using the line tighteners are found on the tent's stuff
      sack.

      Overall Initial Impressions:

      The REI Cirque ASL 2 tent is a departure from my typical lightweight
      backpacking habits, taking me back to my formative backpacking years when I
      carried a "bombproof" shelter. Given the cold, wet weather that's typical in
      my area of the country throughout fall and winter, and the short days that
      result in low-mileage hikes with lots of time spent in camp, I'm actually
      glad to have that extra level of comfort associated with a tent.

      ****Edit: 47 word sentence.

      My initial impressions, overall, is that the Cirque is a reasonably
      lightweight solution for a four-season shelter, and that it provides ample
      amounts of interior room for the solo backpacker, with plenty of interior
      space such that sitting up inside the tent, or stretching out without
      touching an interior wall, is not an issue.

      ***EDIT: �initial impressions�is� Should be are.

      (SNIP)
      In the coming months, I will be testing the various design features of the
      Cirque and reporting on how they function in the field. I am particularly
      interested in how practical the interior space of this
      tent will be for two people, as well as being able to report back on the
      shelter's ability to withstand interior condensation build-up and, quite
      possibly, a few nights of unseasonable warm-weather to test out my theory
      that this tent is actually a "convertible" tent that can work in either
      non-alpine four-season or warmer three-season conditions.

      ****Edit: You have 69 words in the above sentence. Consider breaking it
      up.
    • rosaleen43
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2007