OWNER REVIEW - Greatland Backpacking Dome Tent

  • eroetz93
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2007
      GREATLAND BACKPACKING DOME TENT
      BY ERICH ROETZ
      OR
      October 27, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Erich Roetz
      EMAIL: eroetz93@...
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking when I was Boy Scout
      over 27 years ago. I do mostly medium weight backpacking but am
      doing more lightweight backpacking now that my son is a Scout. We
      camp one weekend a month all year round in temperatures from very hot
      (Virginia summers of 100 F/38 C) to very cold (Pennsylvania winters -
      below freezing) from sea level to about 2000 ft (610 meters)
      elevations.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Greatland
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: www.target.com
      MSRP: US$27.99
      Listed Weight: 8.5 lbs (3.9 kg)
      Measured Weight: 6 lbs 10.1 oz ( 3.01 kg)
      Tent Weight: 3 lb 5.5 oz (1.52 kg)
      Fly Weight: 14.5 oz (0.41 kg)
      Weight of Poles: 1 lb 15.9 oz (0.9 kg)
      Weight of Stakes: 6.2 oz (0.18 kg)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Dome Tent" IMAGE CAPTION = "Picture
      court esy of Target.com">>
      Other details:
      (2.7m L x 2.1m W x 1.2m H. Inverted U-shaped door with double
      zipper. The door has a zip up window about half the size of the
      door. An inverted U-shaped window with double zipper is opposite
      door. The four other panels are mesh vents that can be covered by
      the rain fly. The tent is supported by three fiberglass shock corded
      poles, seven 2 ft (0.61m) sections that expand to 14 ft (4.27 m).
      The rain fly is secured with bungee corded hooks that are hooked to
      the base of the poles and reinforced with Velcro tabs that wrap
      around the poles. The tent is secured to the ground with six steel
      stakes.
      MSRP: $27.99

      FIELD USE

      I have used this tent on five camping trips over the past seven
      months. I bought it because my son just started in Scouting and I
      did not know how well he would like it. Luckily for me, he loves it
      and I am able to do some real backpacking and camping with him. We
      have been to Moorefield, VA, Goochland, VA, Ft. Story, VA, and Little
      Creek, VA. We camped mostly in a pine scrub environment, with the
      exception of Moorefield where we set up in a grassy field.

      Each trip, I set up the tent and stayed in it solo, but it is roomy
      enough for two adults or for three children. It is very easy to set
      up, it only takes about 10 minutes to set and take down. As for
      comfort, it is okay for me and my gear with a little room to spare.
      I can kneel in the tent and have no problems getting around. The
      tent comes with a mesh shelf and a hook to hang a lantern. I have
      seen that some tents with these hooks are reinforced to the support
      poles. Without this support, I am hesitant to hang anything heavier
      than a flashlight.

      On my first trip with this tent, I put it up at night in a grassy
      field. With three poles and a fly, it was very easy to put up at
      night. It only took about 10 minutes. I am glad that it wasn't
      raining, as the tent has mesh vents along four of the six panels.
      This tent's flooring is a little thin, so I put down a ground tarp.
      On the second night, we received about 2 in (5cm) of rain and about
      22 MPH (36 KM/HR) of wind with no leakage. I kept warm inside with
      temp of 40 F (4 C).

      My second trip was during the summer in Goochland, VA. By removing
      the fly, was able to keep cool in the 80 deg F (44 deg C) nights.

      The next two trips with the tent were similar to the second: hot and
      humid. I sealed the seams after the second trip. I didn't notice
      any leaks, but the owners' manual recommended it and I was negligent
      in doing it earlier. It was easy to apply and adhered to the nylon
      well. I do recommend doing this in a well ventilated area because of
      the sealer. The stakes included are standard steel stakes, but are a
      little flimsy and tend to bend in the clay surface of the Virginia
      clay.

      SUMMARY

      comfortable weight if split up between two people. As the flooring
      is a bit thin, it does require a ground tarp. It is a good price for
      someone just introduced to backpacking. It is a good tent for the
      heavy weight camper or beginning backpackers.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Inexpensive
      Weather Resistant

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Flimsy stakes
      Heavy for backpacking

      What I would add:
      Support for hang hook

      SIGNATURE

      Erich Roetz
      eroetz93@...

      URL for the Backpack Gear Test OR section
      http://tinyurl.com/2yx6fh

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (jennksnowy AT yahoo.com).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager